• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time: The Final Seasons |OT| The Fullmetal Optimist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illucio

Banned
Man what else does the show need to cover?

We have the elements storyline that's being worked up.

The lich king still has potential to become evil again.

Is Finn finally going to find someone for sure? Since Flame Princess and Princess Bubblegum are now taken.

The rest of Jake's pups and why he has been neglecting them.

Uh.. About it. I can't think of much else besides Finn and his Dad making up.

HotHamBoy

Islands was really great.

It kind of makes me lament the fact that this show didn't have more mini series specifically dedicated to serialized storytelling, lore, and worldbuilding.

Adventure Time's format makes sense with how reruns air on CN.

I'm pretty cool with how AT has evolved and explored the supporting cast.

Just finished Islands. Pretty fucking great. I wanna know what happened to Martin! The BMO episode was probably my favorite.

Will be interesting to see where things go with Dr. Gross.

The title cards are all so fantastic, it blows that they are on screen for a mere second.

Oh, Baby Finn is the best.

Is Finn finally going to find someone for sure? Since Flame Princess and Princess Bubblegum are now taken.

Jake doesn't neglect the pups, they are adults now. I assume lots of stuff happens between episodes, too.

Lich King has to come back, that seems obvious. I don't know that Finn needs to get a girlfriend.

Psxphile

Pretty sure we'll see Gross again at some point. Her "deal" hasn't really been dealt with, and she has a lot to answer for. In that sense I also expect Susan and Frida to return.

Martin blinked himself out of existence, I don't see much of a chance of him returning but his and Minnie's story just kinda ended without either of them (Minnie, especially) learning what truly happened to the other. Maybe if he ever returns to Founder's Island Finn can fill her in.

We know that there's an episode coming up in Season 8 that will focus on Marceline and her dad (Marcy and Hunson). Hopefully there'll be something there to fill in that gap of time between being left behind by Simon and teenage Marceline venturing around Ooo seeking out vampires.

The Lich is guaranteed to come back at some point. A part of him fell into multiple universes during Crossover, so that's going to have to be brought up eventually.

Maybe Finn will marry a nice bat lady.

Adventure Time's format makes sense with how reruns air on CN.

I'm not really disputing that.
AT was always envisioned as an episodic program, and its narrative accessibility is what's helped it gain and retain it's popularity.
However, I've always been of the opinion that AT has had a really bad habit of either ignoring overarching plot points for episodes on end or just going back to status qou before anything can fully develop.
If the quality of Stakes and Islands is any indication, having these dedicated events earlier in the show's run would have done a lot of good for its past attempts at serialized storytelling.

Servbot24

Banned

It doesn't need to cover anything imo. Filling out plot details kinda ruins the magic

Psxphile

tumblr_oktct8dqV71uwb31io2_500.png

tumblr_oktct8dqV71uwb31io1_500.png

An animatic on the DVD suggests Finn was on Founder's Island for a good while before he left on the ship. Unsure why it was left out of the finished episode... guess they didn't want to put a timeframe to it and leave it to the viewer's imaginations.

big ander

Islands started off a little slow ("Whipple" was thin and seems like they were killing time, though I like Josh Fadem; "Mysterious Island" and "Imaginary Resources" too were both fairly interesting but not all that deep) but turned excellent in the final half. I'm not necessarily someone who particularly loves lore episodes, and I don't want the final two seasons to obligatorily answer every question. But the human backstory is awesome conceptually, so many cool sci-fi/dystopian ideas. The guest starring voices were all fantastic, especially Sharon Horgan and Jasika Nicole—and it helped that those voices were lent to strong characters. Plus this wasn't all self-serious backstory. It was hysterical, and light-hearted just as often as it was wistful (as the best of AT has always been). The breadstick wand and song, literally everything BMO did as usual (with the highlight being Kara talking about her past while BMO cuddles toys), Min and Martin's romance, the Founder's song. Really a wonderful chunk of episodes.

Epcott

I just realized something... how did Jake's parents know his name was Finn when they found him as an infant? His name was already Finn when Martin set him out to sea, right?

Psxphile

I just realized something... how did Jake's parents know his name was Finn when they found him as an infant? His name was already Finn when Martin set him out to sea, right?

The little bear he had with him had a tag that said 'Finn' on it. It's speculated they could have gotten his first name from that, though this was never shown.

big ander

Yeah I was gonna say he had the bear with his name on it when he escaped and on the raft, though I don't remember if it was there when Joshua and Margaret discover him in the woods

The snail that keeps showing up to wave isn't important anymore right?

Probably not, no. But its always possible that the writers decide to make it a plot point again. When Marceline's dad called Gunter the most evil being he had ever encountered, it was only a joke. Later they wrote it so that Gunter actually was an ancient evil trapped inside a penguin

vypek

Probably not, no. But its always possible that the writers decide to make it a plot point again. When Marceline's dad called Gunter the most evil being he had ever encountered, it was only a joke. Later they wrote it so that Gunter actually was an ancient evil trapped inside a penguin

Ah, thats true. Forgot about that

It's important to some people. A tradition, you know?

I saw one in Mysterious Island.

Thats exactly what made me think to post about it but forgot the day I saw it.

IronRinn

Islands started off a little slow ("Whipple" was thin and seems like they were killing time, though I like Josh Fadem; "Mysterious Island" and "Imaginary Resources" too were both fairly interesting but not all that deep) but turned excellent in the final half. I'm not necessarily someone who particularly loves lore episodes, and I don't want the final two seasons to obligatorily answer every question. But the human backstory is awesome conceptually, so many cool sci-fi/dystopian ideas. The guest starring voices were all fantastic, especially Sharon Horgan and Jasika Nicole—and it helped that those voices were lent to strong characters. Plus this wasn't all self-serious backstory. It was hysterical, and light-hearted just as often as it was wistful (as the best of AT has always been). The breadstick wand and song, literally everything BMO did as usual (with the highlight being Kara talking about her past while BMO cuddles toys), Min and Martin's romance, the Founder's song. Really a wonderful chunk of episodes.
I knew I recognized Minerva's voice! I love Sharon Horgan in Catastrophe.

Psxphile

Looks like the Small-Buteras (of Baman Piderman fame) will be getting another AT episode to animate as the show winds down to its last:

tumblr_oktshw0PY11qctti3o1_500.gif

We’re very humbled to announce that this year Alex and I were invited by the Cartoon Network team to direct and animate another episode of Adventure Time! We JUST wrapped on it last week, and we can’t tell you how proud we are of what we made, and we hope you’ll like it too! I mean I think you will, but I’m not the boss of you. You can do your own thing and I support you, son.

Adventure Time is slated to end after it’s next season, so to be asked to participate in some of the remaining show is extremely flattering. Adventure Time changed animation on television, and without it’s prolific run, so many of the other great shows we love wouldn’t exist either. AT also hugely supports the indie animation scene with it’s plethora of guest directors, which means a ton to our community.

As you’ve noticed, this put Baman Piderman on hold for a few months, and with all my heart and liver and parts I thank you so much for being patient and waiting for the new episode. We’d not get a chance to do this again since the show is ending, and it means so much to us to be able to contribute to something that has meant so much to animation. As a big thank you for waiting, the new BP episode is almost 13 minutes, which is.. quite a bit longer than usual. It’s a doozy and I know you’ll like it, and it’s thankfully VERY LIKELY coming out within a few weeks since it’s also almost done.

Alex and I can’t tell you how grateful we are for all the support we get from both Cartoon Network and the fans of our work. And to the wonderful Matt Cummings who was gracious enough to work with us again! It’s just the two of us running a very small operation, and every day we’re thankful for the opportunities we have and the people that check out our work. Thank you. Thank you! THANK YOU!

Look for the episode in the coming months!

Lot’s of love,

Lindsay and Alex S.B
Small-Butera

The Adder

Banned
I swear if they ruin Sweet P to bring back the Lich I'll riot. Was really glad to see the hand drop into multiple universes, giving them an out. I've had high hopes for the kid winding up basically what the Lich would be with a sense of friends and family. A productive member of Ooo that, with the right motivation, may just utterly obliterate his enemies.

Aizo

Banned
Just caught up. I thought Islands was great. I also hope Finn gets a chance to return. That poor mother has been through the worst shit. Why didn't Martin go back?? What happened to him?

I was shocked to read earlier that there aren't that many episodes left. I was also shocked to see the voice work was already done. They sure work ahead, don't they?? These seasons won't be super long, then, eh? This is one of the very few TV shows I actually enjoy watching, so I'm gonna be sad when it's all done. We've been blessed to have it for so long.

Psxphile

Sam Alden posted some concept artwork, boards and notes from production on Min and Marty on his blog. Including this unused sequence that might have been meant for the montage:

tumblr_ol2dadvjZv1uwb31io1_250.png

I'm VERY curious as to what happened to Martin between the raft and the Citadel.

The promo art for Min and Marty suggests he was found adrift at sea by "mutants" (Ooo-ians, I guess). But yeah, he could've gone back but didn't and much later got into some serious shit that branded him a cosmic-level threat and got locked up in the Citadel. It's been speculated at least that losing Finn drove him over the brink and he was too ashamed to return to Minerva so he went back to his vagabond lifestyle, using that charisma of his to con anyone and everyone to get by. It's also possible he may have suffered some kind of mental disorder after tangling with the Guardian. Which would explain his lukewarm attitude and memory problems when he finally meets his son again years later.

==================================================
EDIT:

storyboard panel from a future episode titled "Orb":
tumblr_ol2jwtVOTG1t0t09yo1_1280.png

KingOfOoo

==================================================
EDIT:

Aleks Sennwald posted a demo (and extended) version of The Founder's Song from Hide and Seek.

The promo art for Min and Marty suggests he was found adrift at sea by "mutants" (Ooo-ians, I guess). But yeah, he could've gone back but didn't and much later got into some serious shit that branded him a cosmic-level threat and got locked up in the Citadel. It's been speculated at least that losing Finn drove him over the brink and he was too ashamed to return to Minerva so he went back to his vagabond lifestyle, using that charisma of his to con anyone and everyone to get by. It's also possible he may have suffered some kind of mental disorder after tangling with the Guardian. Which would explain his lukewarm attitude and memory problems when he finally meets his son again years later.

Yeah, kind of all of the above would have been my guess - guilt, post-Guardian issues, the ease of slipping back into old Martin - but before Islands, he was the most villainous character for me (except for maybe Ricardio) and so I'm really interested in him now.

Aizo

Banned
The only important thing I need to know. Which episodes have Marceline in them?
How much have you seen? If you've seen a decent amount, Stakes is a must see. I love Marcy. I need Marcy merch. I forget if i showed you all before, but there was a event space in Tokyo last year for Adventure Time. I thought there would be something I'd buy, but it was all super overpriced. Here is a picture.
I should've bought the Doc Martens, huh?

Psxphile

Probably means in Season 8 so far.

You see Marcy and Bonnie briefly in Wheels as background characters in a very unexpected place, and she gets a few lines near the tail-end of The Invitation. But that's it so far. She'll be getting an episode together with her dad later, though.

Aizo

Banned
Is The Invitation the first ep of Islands? If not, the first ep of Islands has her talking a bit.

LupusWarrior

Neo Member
sorry for double post but i had just had to share.
tumblr_ol82zuPSaQ1r754kgo1_540.png

Anyone else catch this? "Heyyy Good Morning"

The LGBT representation in cartoon network lately has been amazing.
Even Susan and her friend seem like they like each other.

Yeah, I wonder if Susan and Frieda are meant to be a romantic pairing or not. It's great that so many of these pairings can be read that way. Also a little frustrating that allowing them to be read that way is about as far as things can go for marketing/worldwide limitations reasons.

Psxphile

tumblr_om6sc6MGHm1rq0f0yo1_500.png

So June, eh? Though not sure I trust any scheduling not coming from CN directly. Also hopefully it'll be more than just the one episode, ha ha.

EDIT: apparently the episode screened was the one called "Orb"
there's a detailed synopsis here from someone who attended the event
Guess it'll take 'em another episode or two to reach Ooo.

EDIT: King of Ooo continues to update despite most of the crew moving on to new jobs. Here's a storyboard panel from an episode titled "Skyhooks":

KingOfOoo

Psxphile

Cartoon Network PR Announcements

According to this when Adventure Time comes back we will be treated to yet another 8-part miniseries event:

Adventure Time – The Emmy and Peabody Award-winning show is back with an eight-part miniseries of epic proportions later this year. Fans will be just as surprised as Finn to discover what happened to the kingdoms of Ooo while he was away at sea. This next miniseries comes fresh off the heels of Adventure Time: Islands, which reached almost four million people. The series is created by Pendleton Ward and executive produced by Adam Muto.

So basically:

Source

Psxphile

Zap2it.com has updated with several episode titles, the first of which is set to air on April 21st followed by a 4-day bomb of the new 8-part mini-series "Elements" the following week.

April 21st: “Orb”
April 24th: “Elements Part 1: Skyhooks” / “Elements Part 2: Bespoken For”
April 25th: “Elements Part 3: Winter Light” / “Elements Part 4: Cloudy”
April 26th: “Elements Part 5: Slime Central ” / “Elements Part 6: Happy Warrior”
April 27th: “Elements Part 7: Hero Heart” / “Elements Part 8: Skyhooks II"

Now we wait for CN to make a proper announcement.

Zap2it.com has updated with several episode titles, the first of which is set to air on April 21st followed by a 4-day bomb of the new 8-part mini-series "Elements" the following week.

April 26th: “Elements Part 5: Slime Central ” / “Elements Part 6: Happy Warrior”

Ah, super excited!

Oh shit this sounds good.

Psxphile

this is the last season right? Or is there one more after this season.

We're still Season 8, and Season 9 was confirmed to be the last.

EDIT: screenshot

kjPbuEC.jpg

source article

EDIT: synopsis

tumblr_onxmv7WUQ51uwb31io1_1280.png

ADVENTURE TIME ‘ELEMENTS'
BRAND NEW MINI SERIES
WEEKDAYS AT 6:00PM FROM MONDAY 19 JUNE – FRIDAY 23 JUNE

The 8-part mini-series follows Jake and Finn as they return to Ooo after months of being away, only to discover that some radical changes have taken place in their absence. Facing an Elemental curse too huge to fix alone, Finn must turn to unlikely allies to put things right and unlock one of Ooo's greatest secrets.

EDIT: first title card post-hiatus!

KingOfOoo

Is that a new sword I spy?

Psxphile

zap2it has revealed episode descriptions for all of the upcoming episodes:

”Orb"
Finn, Jake and BMO's dreams fall under the influence of a mysterious orb.
”Elements Part 1: Skyhooks"
When they return to Ooo, Finn and Jake discover that there have been radical changes in their absence.
”Elements Part 2: Bespoken For"
Ice King weaves a tale filled with drama, romance and men's fashion.
”Elements Part 3: Winter Light"
Finn, Jake and Ice King travel to the new Ice Kingdom to confront the person responsible for the changes.
”Elements Part 4: Cloudy"
Finn and Jake must escape exile in an endless sky before they can restore Ooo.
”Elements Part 5: Slime Central "
When Finn and Jake infiltrate the new Slime Kingdom, they become embroiled in a very heated skate battle.
”Elements Part 6: Happy Warrior"
Finn and his friends fight through a more brutal Fire Kingdom to find Flame Princess.
”Elements Part 7: Hero Heart"
A full-scale war breaks out between two kingdoms, and Ooo's most unlikely hero must put an end to the fighting.
”Elements Part 8: Skyhooks II"
Finn and Lumpy Space Princess work together to unlock one of Ooo's greatest secrets before time runs out.

NnoGhN1.gif

EDIT: Skyhooks storyboard panel

tumblr_om49zpfgMP1t0t09yo2_1280.png

Elements Pt. 1: Skyhooks premieres Monday, April 24th at 7:30/6:30c on Cartoon Network
KingOfOoo

Psxphile

I knew I'd heard that tune before... seems to have a lot of history.

Must be Betty humming it, since she's wearing an outfit with green sleeves.

EDIT: promo image

tumblr_onx773Tggx1t0t09yo1_r1_1280.png

ADVENTURE TIME: ELEMENTS! The 8-Part miniseries begins Monday, April 24th. Four consecutive nights of new episodes premiering at 7:30/6:30c on Cartoon Network.

The miniseries is preceded by the new episode Orb premiering Friday, April 21st at 7:45/6:45c.

——

Pt.1 SKYHOOKS - April 24th

written/storyboarded by Sam Alden & Polly Guo

Pt. 2 BESPOKEN FOR - April 24th

written/storyboarded by Seo Kim & Somvilay Xayaphone

——

Pt. 3 WINTER LIGHT - April 25th

written/storyboarded by Steve Wolfhard & Laura Knetzger

Pt. 4 CLOUDY - April 25th

written/storyboarded by Kent Osborne & Graham Falk

——

Pt. 5 SLIME CENTRAL - April 26th