• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie's Unconventional Method for Casting Her Latest Movie

There really is a defense force for everything.

What she's doing for this casting process was indefensible I think but despite that she's doing great things for getting this message out there for Cambodians by making the film and also has done a lot of humanitarian work

She seems like a bit of a crazy person but I really hesitate to call her horrible either.

I know it's supposed to be impressive and all, but I just can't be all that amazed at deluding yourself into believing you are the character.

Seeing someone be themselves and suddenly turn into someone else is more impressive to me.

Not to mention for all his method pretensions, a good 30-40% of any Daniel Day Lewis performance is shameless hamming. Hamming that would have made even Vincent Price quietly suggest "Daniel, maybe we can try something more naturalistic, perhaps?"

Budi

When did this trend of hardcore method acting start? You've got Jared Leto being a complete weirdo to 'get in the mindset' for the Joker, Leo DiCaprio eating actual raw bison meat for The Revenant, and Angelina Jolie fucking with kids to get the perfect actor.

When did Hollywood folks forget that acting is just that, acting.
Daniel DayLewis (aka the guy who refused to get treated for pneumonia because they wouldn't have had the cure in the time his movie was set in) winning 3 Oscars...
Oh no no, it's older concept than Day-Lewis has even been making movies. Even Robert De Niro prepared for the film Taxi Driver released at 1976 by working as a cabbie at nights. De Niro and Pesci trained and lived together for Raging Bull 1980 and ofcourse De Niro also gained huge amount of weight for the role as Jake LaMotta for the scenes after the boxing career. Both are excellent movies btw, worth a watch.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
money-mouse-trap.jpg

Kinyou

Wow, deliberately ripping open mental scars to cast a movie.I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that a therapist didn't take care of them afterwards either.

But if Cambodians consider the film to be something of a gift, then it’s surely a thank-you gift. For Jolie, Cambodia is where she started her family, and it’s where she made a cathartic personal transformation, becoming the woman she is today.

The whole country is just a psychological battleground where Jolie can work out her own traumas and become A Stronger Woman Than Ever. As for the actual people who live there and went through horrible shit, well...they're poor and not living the "bold" life, so they can be content to be a coordinate in Jolie's khaleesi transformation.

“Angie was maternal to everybody around her, not just children, but adults included. I wanted her to adopt me,” says Ung.

I guess it's the ultimate colonial wet dream for a genuine Brown Person and Real Orphan to say this kind of thing to you. I understand Ung is a bit starstruck and happy that someone with a loudspeaker has taken an interest in her cause, but it's unfortunate that she buys into Jolie's crap here.

A couple of months later, she visited an orphanage in the provincial town of Battambang, having promised herself that she’d go only to one, that she wasn’t going to shop around. But Jolie felt uneasy as she wandered the rooms, meeting the children. “I didn’t feel a connection with any of them,” she recalls.

Sorry kids, you didn't make a connection, and Jolie was uncomfortable! Back to the orphanage with you.

And thus began a 15-year project, in which Jolie rebranded herself, expanding her world, her family, her career, and her image.

Using human beings and human suffering as a branding exercise, cool.

#adoptingorphans #doinggood

black_13

Banned
Wow talk about how ignorant that is. It never seemed right that she was basically "shopping" for children. Just going to a random country and picking a kid out.

komarkaze

I remember a couple years ago, there was a Cambodian prank show that featured an aspiring 13 year old singer and promised to reunite her with her mom on TV. It was a cruel lie just to capture her reaction. It shows how whack the show biz culture is over there, so it wouldn't surprise me that those are the production types that Angelina Jolie delegated the casting job to. I wouldn't pin this act of cruelty on her personally. I believe she truly loves Cambodia and would not exploit its people on purpose like that.

This is the same idiot that felt less for her biological child, Shiloh, because she was "more privileged" than the children she adopted. She also called her (him now, I suppose, since he's being raised as male, I really apologize if I've said anything inaccurate here) a "blob".

http://www.mtv.com/news/2754646/angelina-calls-baby-shiloh-a-blob/

Fucking moron.
I don't understand the outrage about this particular interview comment. As a parent I can totally understand where she's coming from (feeling more for her adopted children because of what they've been through). She certainly isn't saying that she doesn't love Shiloh. And yes, newborn babies are pretty much blobs (as the other poster already said). Can you explain where exactly the strong reaction is coming from?

What she's doing for this casting process was indefensible I think but despite that she's doing great things for getting this message out there for Cambodians by making the film and also has done a lot of humanitarian work

She seems like a bit of a crazy person but I really hesitate to call her horrible either.

If only you could do such great things without tormenting underprivileged children. Huh, guess that's the price you have to pay.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
That's really fucking disgusting.

I thought she was a big advocate for human rights and stuff like that? What the fuck?

cr0w

Old Member
I don't understand the outrage about this particular interview comment. As a parent I can totally understand where she's coming from (feeling more for her adopted children because of what they've been through). She certainly isn't saying that she doesn't love Shiloh. And yes, newborn babies are pretty much blobs (as the other poster already said). Can you explain where exactly the strong reaction is coming from?

I think it's rather flippant and very telling that she claims she didn't feel a connection with her own child due to their "privilege" when compared to her adopted children. I've always felt like she's a misery tourist, and only interested in how others' suffering makes her feel rather than holding genuine concern for those who are actually going through that suffering.

It's like how someone values a hard-to-find handbag over one they could simply buy at Wal-Mart.

Zaventem

Sounds like a really bad way of casting. I suppose the good thing is this child will probably be fine on monetary terms after this?

Well this is one movie I wont be seeing.

Yeah. Just read about this today. I'll book for the sake of Loung Ung (a move I encourage others to do), but I don't think I'll be supporting the movie in any way or Jolie in the future. Helps that I've never found her as compelling as Hollywood frames her.

Geist-

I read that description like three times because I felt like it couldn't be as bad as it sounds.

Because it sounds like she brought poor kids into a room, taunted them with money, and then made them beg for it.

Ditto. What a fucking psycho.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just thought of the perfect role for her!

Mother Theresa!

Meowster

“Every measure was taken to ensure the safety, comfort and well-being of the children on the film starting from the auditions through production to the present,” Angelina said. “I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened.”

Statement by the Producer Rithy Panh:

"I want to comment on recent reports about the casting process for Angelina Jolie’s First They Killed My Father, which grossly mischaracterize how child actors were selected for the film, and I want to clear up the misunderstandings.

Because so many children were involved in the production,
Angelina and I took the greatest care to ensure their welfare was protected. Our goal was to respect the realities of war, while nurturing everyone who helped us to recreate it for the film.

The casting was done in the most sensitive way possible. The children were from different backgrounds. Some were underprivileged; others were not. Some were orphans. All of the children were tended to at all times by relatives or carers from the NGOs responsible for them. The production team followed the families’ preferences and the NGO organizations’ guidelines. Some of the auditions took place on the NGOs’ premises.

Ahead of the screen tests, the casting crew showed the
children the camera and the sound recording material. It explained to them that they were going to be asked to act out a part: to pretend to steal petty cash or a piece of food left unattended and then get caught in the act. It relates to a real episode from the life of Loung Ung, and a scene in the movie, when she and her siblings were caught by the Khmer Rouge and accused of stealing.

The purpose of the audition was to improvise with the children and explore how a child feels when caught doing something he or she is not supposed to be doing.

We wanted to see how they would improvise when their character is found ‘stealing’ and how they would justify their action. The children were not tricked or entrapped, as some have suggested. They understood very well that this was acting, and make believe. What made Srey Moch, who was chosen for the lead role of Loung Ung, so special was that she said that she would want the money not for herself, but for her grandfather. Great care was taken with the children not only during auditions, but throughout the entirety of the film’s making. They were accompanied on set by their parents, other relatives or tutors. Time was set aside for them to study and play. The children’s well-being was monitored by a special team each day, including at home, and contact continues to the present. Because the memories of the genocide are so raw, and many Cambodians still have difficulty speaking about their experiences, a team of doctors and therapists worked with us on set every day so that anyone from the cast or crew who wanted to talk could do so. The children gave their all in their performances and have made all of us in the production, and, I believe, in Cambodia, very proud."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...profile-auditions_us_597cf41ae4b02a8434b6d1e4

Top Bottom