• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

aquarium-age gaf

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Going blind by 'cloudy eye' or dying would be my guess. No fun either way.
I'll have some new images up in about a week.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No pics right now, but we have a 30 gallon tank with a single Oscar in it (since you can't really put much else in a tank with an Oscar, especially a 30 gallon tank). He had a few "friends" for a while when my neighbors got rid of their tank, they gave the fish to us and we nervously added them in. Somehow they all managed to survive with him for a while. Think they all ended up getting sick.

He's aptly named... Oscar. Looks about like this guy right here.

oscar-lg.jpg

He's been though a lot of punishment, tank was in the kids room and had various things dropped in it, wasn't well taken care of and at times the water was absolutely filthy, but he's a survivor.

Since the tank is kind of small for him, we don't have much in it. Log and a stump, anything else he tears up. Even with the two things in there he tends to ram himself into them.

Got him when Walmart got rid of their live fish. This fish, plus countless others for a $5 charity donation. Only had a 10 gallon tank at the time, so it was ridiculously populated. Basically had the option of "the oscar" or "everything else." Nobody ever made a decision, so Oscar chose for us.

Chococat

man, i'm really having trouble with my 10 gallon tank. it's just platys, but it gets dirty so quick!

My water is getting so dirty so fast now and the platys are slowly dying off. I'm basically to the point where I have to change the water in the tank every week, and usually more than half of it. The same tank last winter with the same fish almost never got dirty. so weird i dont know what the issue is :(

How many Platies do you have in the 10 gallon? Any other kinds of fish or invertebrates? What filter do you have? How often do you change the filter pad or gentle clean the bio filter pad? How are you cleaning the tank (are you just removing water or are you cleaning the gravel really good).

I have two tanks- one dominated by Platies the other by Danios. The Platy tank by far is messier- It needs to be clean every week with a 30/50% water change. I really focus on cleaning gravel well- platies make allot of poop that break down and get stuck in the rocks. The Danio tank can go 2 weeks with no problems.

Without knowing more on your part I would suggest- clean the tank weekly, clean the gravel very well. Once a month I take every inside the tank apart to get a really good cleaning. Rinse your filter every cleaning in the was water (of fresh chlorinated water). The bio pad, gently rub it to remove the excess build up in waste or chlorinated water (don't go nuts, just get the excess grow off the outside). Check to make sure you filter unit is not clogged. The pipe that sucks in the water frequently plugs up. A combination of rinsing and air pressure can clean them out. Upgrade your filter unit (assuming you have a 10, get one rated for a 20 gallon). Depending on the number of fish, you may want to add some bottom feeders (1 mystery/golden snail, a pair of bamboo shrimp, or 3 cory cats ( you need a small group- they are social fish).

Natetan

Thanks for the reply! Yeah ive been doing biweekly cleanings for all of that, I didn't realize platys were poop machines I guess. They've been breeding to so maybe the number of them (over a dozen) just needs that much. Maintenance

Just bought a giant 90 liter tank though which I put in my platys and my stinkpot turtles. The guy at the fish store said the turtles would eat the fish but so far they get along fairly well. Turtles haven't shown any interest and they're too slow too small to eat the fish I think. They havnt been eating my plants either fingers crossed!

Just thought I would do a little post on my filtration/maintenance schedule. I have a 220L tank with 5 Discus and 2 Angels. I plan on upgrading in the coming months to a ~400L tank, but for now its great. Discus have a reputation for being a hard to care for fish, but it all comes down to filtration in my opinion. I have been caring for tropical fish for years, and my Discus for about 10 months or so now.

My tank at the moment is just starting to get small for the fish I have in it, in that if they are in there for another 6 months or so they will stop growing and wont reach full size, but its definitely not an issue for me as far as water quality goes. I only change my water once a week, sometimes less often, and my fish are all really healthy.

In terms of filtration I use an internal power filter,

http://www.aquariumsupermarket.com.au/298-otto-internal-filter-1200l-h.html

which is by far the best mechanical filter you can buy. At that price, its amazing, and recommend every tank 3ft or over should have one (they come in a range of sizes/power). This is the first stage of my filtration, and picks up the debris, poo, general rubbish etc in the water.

For Biological filtration, I use this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Aqua...t_Supplies&hash=item1e671740eb#ht_5159wt_1187

Alot of people use ridiculously expensive canisters like Eheims and Fluvals etc, which is ok if you arent using it like I do. The really expensive ones are great all in ones, but you get better results with my setup imo. The canister filters traditionally have Bio balls (for bacteria to grow on), Carbon (Never have this shit in your tank its unnecessary), and sponge pads (to catch debris). By having the internal power filter in the tank, you dont need to have the sponge filter in your canister. So in my canister, its filled entirely with Bioballs, for the bacteria to grow on. That way, it pumps water through the canister, and its purely for bio filtering, and not mechanical filtering at all (leave that to the internal power filter). This keeps my Nitrates, Ammonia etc to practically zeros.

For surface tension, I use an air fed sponge filter. You dont reallllly need the sponge filter, but its extra biological filtration, so why not. I have it attached to a high power silent air pod pump.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=2926&catID=29

When I do water changes, I use a large gravel vacuum, and syphone out around 60L of water at a time. Before vacuuming I also remove my internal power filter sponges and give them a good rinse. You can use tap water for this, as you dont need to worry about the Sponges in this filter for biological filtering. I then heat and treat a fresh batch of water, with dechlorinators, some bio bacteria liquid, and Amazon Water conditioner (to soften the water).

Something like this vacuum is all you need.

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem...m=cse&utm_campaign=nextag&utm_content=LE11470

Hey so I have a 29 gallon tank I'm currently cleaning out (limited money so I kind of forgot about it) but doing research has led me to use pool filter sand as substrate. It's cheap (7 bucks for 50lbs) and clean (one rinse and it was done). And it looks good.

Another thing, what's the best way to clean a tank? It's got algae everywhere and I'm going to empty it and start new. Moved the two surviving fish into a small holding tank and want to do this right. Hot water is a must, but what non-soap and non cleaning item can I use?

tafer

Talking about filtration, has anyone tried these new filters that supposedly deal with nitrates?

I wanted to try one, but they are quite expensive, I have no idea of the kind of maintenance they require and I don't know if they modify any other water parameter. (CO2, pH, etc...)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Water changes deal with nitrates. So do plants.
If I had to guess the filter chemically binds it as something inert. Not a fan.

Touch

We have a 55 (not sure exactly, it's big) gallon tank with only two fish in it, at the moment. One Silver Dollar and one ell type fish that I do not no the name. The eel never comes out, maybe once a month a appearance is made.

I've heard vinegar and a lot of elbow grease. Grabbed a rough sponge and cleaned my tank out. Also some kind of glass scraper if its especially bad, like this one (not heavy duty)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DVWNI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been slacking on my main tank, need to do something about my glosso.

I used diluted vinegar and it worked extremely well.

Also I cannot stress for those wanting big tanks, if you have a local pool supply store, get a bag of pool filter sand. It's super cheap and it looks great.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I used diluted vinegar and it worked extremely well.

Also I cannot stress for those wanting big tanks, if you have a local pool supply store, get a bag of pool filter sand. It's super cheap and it looks great.
I've heard of other people use it. Make sure you get the 'play sand' aka the sand that is round and not jagged. Also some brands I think can leech silicates. Don't quote me on that.

Yeah, the stuff is round. I've dealt with it so many times at work. It works extremely well, and it has to be safe for people. As for now, I put a bit of old gravel in, and my filter had a 'bio wheel' so it's cycling. I threw some plants in with some fertilizer, so I'll check on it before adding fish. 30 bucks to get this set up again. Not bad.

BvlC5.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been reading through this thread... I study marine bio/aquaculture... love aquaria but don't currently have any personal tanks. Caring for those at university are work enough! But very fun.

My advice to those starting aquaria projects is to make sure you prep your tanks and get them cycled/stable before adding animals. Folks who go off to petsmart and leave with everything in hand (fishes included) are usually those most likely to have catastrophic tank failure... and no employee at a chain place like that is going to tell you to come back in a couple weeks to buy your animals. They'll try and get you to buy everything right there. But your best move is to properly set up your tanks first.

Another thing... contrary to what might seem "common sense". Bigger tanks are the easiest! People who buy smaller tanks thinking they are good entry-level aquaria projects could be setting themselves up for failure. And a lot more maintenance work.

The larger the tank, the more water. The more room for error. You make a mistake in a small tank and things can go sideways real fast. Larger tanks are actually better for novices.

Anyway... awesome thread!

Natetan

Yeah, the stuff is round. I've dealt with it so many times at work. It works extremely well, and it has to be safe for people. As for now, I put a bit of old gravel in, and my filter had a 'bio wheel' so it's cycling. I threw some plants in with some fertilizer, so I'll check on it before adding fish. 30 bucks to get this set up again. Not bad.

BvlC5.jpg

hey i have that same filter and it SUCKS. it can barely suck up water, it always struggles at the start. i clean the thing constantly too, but the biowheel thing almost never spins. I have three of them too, so it's not an isolated incident...

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
hey i have that same filter and it SUCKS. it can barely suck up water, it always struggles at the start. i clean the thing constantly too, but the biowheel thing almost never spins. I have three of them too, so it's not an isolated incident...

If that's the Penguin 150 then it's the only filter I've ever had on my 30 gallon tank and it works like a champ, my biowheel is nice and gunky and spins like crazy. : /

I'm ashamed to post my pictures after seeing some of the awesome setups in here, but here goes.

vo3OR.jpg

This was taken about 2 1/2 years ago. They were my first ever fish and they are still doing very well. I recently decided they had been alone in their tank long enough and decided to add this little fellow (neon dottyback):

xXNzK.jpg

Typically the dottyback is a fish with a reputation for causing trouble, but my clowns are somewhat more aggressive than normal. They routinely attack my hand when I clean or do any kind of tank maintenance. So I figured that the dottyback would be able to handle himself - but unfortunately the clowns (maybe from 2.5 years of ruling the roost?) have been very mean to him, and I've had to put up a divider to keep him safe while he grows to adult size and then can hopefully handle their bullying a little better. You can see how his tail is a bit ragged from being bitten.

I also finally decided to try my hand at keeping a condylactis anemone; it's not a host for the clowns, but it's fascinating to watch (and feed) and is relatively easy to keep as far as nems go. I'd like to get a Flame Angel one day, but I think this is pretty much the max load for my tank for the time being.

Pm5mH.jpg

and no employee at a chain place like that is going to tell you to come back in a couple weeks to buy your animals. They'll try and get you to buy everything right there.

I am a Petco manager and would just like to say that this isn't true, at least at our store. We don't like to see customers lose all their fish, either!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I am a Petco manager and would just like to say that this isn't true, at least at our store. We don't like to see customers lose all their fish, either!

I'm sorry if I overgeneralized... I meant no offense. I speak from experience, though, but I probably could put it another way.

Apologies.

Just started cycling a new 10 gallon tank with some water from my other setup. Planning to use a sand substrate with rocks and sand to house a couple dwarf pufferfish and oto's. Might try to move a few of my cherry shrimp over too, but I doubt those will last long with puffers. Still not sure where to get pool filter sand around here though, will have to call around.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

BvlC5.jpg
If that is java fern on the left you want that above the substrate or it will die.

My main tank is like 25% evaporated I've been neglecting it so bad. Gonna look really sweet once I do get to it though!
Just started cycling a new 10 gallon tank with some water from my other setup. Planning to use a sand substrate with rocks and sand to house a couple dwarf pufferfish and oto's. Might try to move a few of my cherry shrimp over too, but I doubt those will last long with puffers. Still not sure where to get pool filter sand around here though, will have to call around.
I've heard some puffers do fine with shrimp, but they really are individuals and most don't seem to get along.

Love dwarf puffers.

Cruceh

Banned
Oh GAF, if you had an idea of what I have been through with my aquarium...

Sadly, way too many crap made me lose interest and that usually spells "massive disaster" in just a few weeks.

Here have some pictures at its best:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/tafer/IMG_7583.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/tafer/IMG_7590.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t103/tafer/IMG_7559.jpg[IMG]

Ugh... breaks my heart to see those pictures again.[/QUOTE]
I have Rams too and they are awesome. I haven't changed my water in 2 weeks and there is algae everywhere. I'm going to change it today though and hopefully get back in the habit of one water change every 2 weeks.

Thing's running like a champ right now. The wheel is spinning super fast now too. Might've gotten a bad batch?

If that's the Penguin 150 then it's the only filter I've ever had on my 30 gallon tank and it works like a champ, my biowheel is nice and gunky and spins like crazy. : /

It's a 200. I decided to put a 50 gallon sized filter on there. Cleans like a champ. Definitely recommend it. Before I let the tank go, I never had a problem with it getting cloudy or dirty (besides some small algae.)

If that is java fern on the left you want that above the substrate or it will die.

Took it out. What should I anchor it to?

Use fishing line and tie it to a rock or a piece of driftwood.

They sell small pieces of aquarium safe mopani wood for geckos in the reptile isle of most pet stores, or you can get a larger one, it just looked like you're keeping it simple.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I just leave my java fern floating in one tank, and in the other used some thread (not the best I know) to loosely tie it to my center piece of wood.

Still haven't done anything to my main tank, but here's a pic I took today from my 10G Cherry Shrimp tank.

Ipo2U.jpg

q_q

Yeah I just leave my java fern floating in one tank, and in the other used some thread (not the best I know) to loosely tie it to my center piece of wood.

Still haven't done anything to my main tank, but here's a pic I took today from my 10G Cherry Shrimp tank.

What filter do you have in that shrimp tank? I have a Finnex PX-360 in a tall 8 gallon tank with some shrimp. The flow seems to be rather high and sometimes it seems like the shrimp get caught up in it and struggle to escape. I'm thinking of replacing the tank with a standard 20 inch long 10 gallon in the hopes that in the longer tank I could direct the flow mostly to the top of the water so as not to disturb the shrimp on the bottom but I'm not sure. I really like the filter besides that though, it's very quiet and very efficient.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
On the recent topic, just wanted to say I've been using pool filter sand for a while now and it's great. Never had any problems whatsoever. Sure, it doesn't look quite as nice as the $25 for 5 lbs sand you get at a pet store, but it looks pretty good and it's $8 for 50lbs at Pool City (where I get it).

Just a few pics from various tanks i've owned....

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

f9f86d02.jpg

3720_1.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

I have quite a thing for Blood Parrot Cichlids... and before anyone starts spouting off about 'man made fish' - your fucking labrador was made via selective breeding too, and so was the common goldfish.

Hmmm.... I really need to sort out a new tank :)

Tetra Whisper 10. It's like 5 years old. I have a Whisper 30 on my main 14G.
Don't have experience with any canister filters. Maybe get a spray bar?

Every single intake for every tank should have this on it. imo
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K9A15G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Collects junk, keep stuff safe, cleans in 20 seconds, filter gets 80% less gunk in it.
]

Lawl, I sell those things at work for 20 bucks for a 3 pack. (only because I have to). Branded for pool cleaners.

Definitely never thought of that though, good idea.

Dug up an old 45L aquarium we had lying around, will bring it up to my apartment and start preparing it next week. This thread has given me some ideas, but I'm afraid I'll want to do something way too advanced. This is the first aquarium I've had in around ten years, so I'll try to keep it simple. By the way, does anyone know if Hama perler beads are fish-safe? It says "All products have been tested to the highest standard and comply with the European toy safety regulations BS EN 71" on their site, but I'm not really sure what that means. Basically what I want is to use some perler art as decorations, depending on how I do it it might be totally awesome or really awkward. A proper Maridia-themed tank (from Super Metroid) would be totally kick-ass, though.

Love the tanks, I had a 60l and a 10(?)L but I just couldn't manage them and felt to guilty if I killed off fish due to my own stupidity or some other problems that I couldnt detect.

Also the bigger one was as goddamn nightmare to clean.
When I move out I think ill try another small setup with a Betta fish, I loved my last one and he always seemed really intelligent in comparison to the ones in the larger tank.

That chai tank looks really nice, perfect for a betta aswell aslong as the filter current wasnt very strong... must resist urge!!!

Dug up an old 45L aquarium we had lying around, will bring it up to my apartment and start preparing it next week. This thread has given me some ideas, but I'm afraid I'll want to do something way too advanced. This is the first aquarium I've had in around ten years, so I'll try to keep it simple. By the way, does anyone know if Hama perler beads are fish-safe? It says "All products have been tested to the highest standard and comply with the European toy safety regulations BS EN 71" on their site, but I'm not really sure what that means. Basically what I want is to use some perler art as decorations, depending on how I do it it might be totally awesome or really awkward. A proper Maridia-themed tank (from Super Metroid) would be totally kick-ass, though.

In general I'd avoid something that wasn't designed for Aquarium use...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh man I've been neglecting this thread. Main tank still doesn't look super great so here's a little something.

HQ4Qi.jpg

In general I'd avoid something that wasn't designed for Aquarium use...

Yeah, I've read up more on aquariums and it doesn't look like a good idea. Maybe I'll experiment with it sometimes in the future, in a smaller tank. By the way I picked up a 180L tank for cheap, so I'm working on setting it up now. I got a filter and some other stuff with it including these:

tSXHp.jpg

I have no idea what they are. It's hard to see in the picture, but they have a mesh in the bottom, with the finest at top left and the coarsest at bottom right. They are perfectly stackable and it says "Nuova" on the side. According to Google they were a company that ceased to exist in 1993. Does anyone know what they are?

Look what arrived.

VoGyD.jpg

(I moved the java fern. It got loose and drifted.)

edit: Java moss can be planted in substrate right? I want to put some in my tank to carpet the buttom.

Natetan

i love those shrimp. i've got some glass big ones and a couple cherries in my 90L tank with stinkpot turtles and platies. they all get along i think.

I would like to have a shirmp tank though i think. they dont eat plants, and they're so cute and fun to watch. the red ones look so busy with their cute little legs :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Look what arrived.

VoGyD.jpg

(I moved the java fern. It got loose and drifted.)

edit: Java moss can be planted in substrate right? I want to put some in my tank to carpet the buttom.
Moss? I'm not sure. I have some sort of crawling on my other tank. You'd need high light so it spreads and branches instead of growing up.

You can use stainless steel mesh on mesh to have something for it to clamp on to:
http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies.com/blog/aquarium-tips/how-to-plant-and-grow-java-moss/
Or maybe unravel a shower loofa and cover your substrate with it.
And alternative might be to have a marimo ball mat?

Usually carpet plants are something like glosso, HC, or Dwarf Hairgrass.

SUPREME1

Banned
I had a tank sitting for a year that once had turtles in it, but those fuckers are nasty dirty. I got tired of cleaning it completely every week. So, fast forward to present day and I just finished cycling the water and putting in the first inhabitants (freshwater fish and plants) into my 125 gallon acrylic.

qGUaZ.jpg

Great looking set up. Love it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If I'm interested in starting my own tank, what's a good "beginner" size to work with? This is all crazy inspiring!

E: Also, is it true that I need to let the tank sit for 3-6 weeks for the Nitrogen cycle to play out before I can add fish? I just want to know so I can start looking soon!

Silly question, but I got a bag with gravel when I bought my tank and it's not enough; it just covers maybe 1-2cm at the bottom. I have a huge bucket of gravel at my parents' place, but I can't get to their place for another week or so. Can I add some plants and start the cycling, and put in the rest of the gravel later before I add the fish?

If I'm interested in starting my own tank, what's a good "beginner" size to work with? This is all crazy inspiring!

E: Also, is it true that I need to let the tank sit for 3-6 weeks for the Nitrogen cycle to play out before I can add fish? I just want to know so I can start looking soon!

How much room do you have and how much money do you want to spend?

Typically bigger tanks are actually better, as the water quality doesn't fluctuate as often and allows for a larger margin of error. Fewer water changes and such.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How much room do you have and how much money do you want to spend?

Typically bigger tanks are actually better, as the water quality doesn't fluctuate as often and allows for a larger margin of error. Fewer water changes and such.

Well I've been doing a ton of reading since getting out of work today. I don't know exact size, but somewhere around the 25-30 gallon range is probably a fair start. I would like to do some live plants, too...so if I need to go slightly larger, I can. I'm actually going to have the shop at my office weld me a metal tank stand out of some scrap we have. A+

In terms of how much I want to spend, I think that is more a product of the complete initial cost. One thing I'm having a hard time finding is a good page of "What to buy" that doesn't look like it was made in Windows Webpage Maker or something. I'm trying to find a good and reputable site to work off of.

I'd like to get a reasonable sized tank, the necessary tools/equipment, substrates, some live plants, and a few cycle fish to get everything going. Is there a good spot to find relatively newbie friendly options?

Top Bottom