• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adrian C. (Former People Can Fly) Claims His Dev Friends Claim 50% XB1/PS4 Speed Diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
50%? That's close to 30%. And as everyone knows, a 30% difference is negligible. Case closed, nothing to see here.
According to Leadbetter a 40% difference in GPU power is negligeable while a 9% advantage in CPU power is a massive advantage.

BigDug13

But MS invented DirectX. I don't think this Adrian guy gets it. They literally made a proprietary graphics API for their own OS. They made the Xbox. They made the Xbox 360. And now they've made the Xbone. Two whole consoles centered around gaming, and one box that also happens to play games. And there's no way they'd give a 30% advantage to Sony.

I'm trying to figure out of this is sarcasm....

Does this even matter? The 360 was less powerful than the PS3 and the multiplatform games for both performed the same and in some cases better on the 360.

360 's gpu was actually around 25% more powerful than the RSX but Sony used Cell to help out. Also didn't hurt that they had Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla, and Naughty Dog.

Paznos

zowryhb.gif

WOW lol.

eso76

I could have sworn it was only 30% this morning.

Hope it will be nearing 100% by the time I wake up tomorrow..

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I thought we knew 40% not 50% (admitted, I get confused with big numbers and shiny things, so maybe those numbers are for other things).

The old figure was 50%, the new one is 41%. However, if you factor in the reserved 10% GPU time for snap, its 56%. Whatever number one prefers.

How many is that now?

Jonathan Blow reporting on their dev friends saying the same.
NFS guy.
The DICE guy.
Avalanche guy.
People Can Fly guy.

Did I miss anyone?

Ploid 3.0

Major, be easy on these devs. Unleash your truth softly, and quick like a monk. Explain how these people saying PS4 is more powerful are wrong. I mean look at Directx, you guys made it, take the mic from these foos!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Does this even matter? The 360 was less powerful than the PS3 and the multiplatform games for both performed the same and in some cases better on the 360.
360 had a better GPU, toolset, and unified memory which all made development considerably easier on the platform. This time PS4 has all of those advantages over XBO but to an even larger degree.

We've known this already. It's only the fanboys that choose not to accept this. And they will continue to fight the good fight lol, this topic should be interesting.

Zephyx

LOL.., Wait till the dual GPU

Seriously though, where did people get the idea that the XB1 will have another GPU? If that ever happens, wouldn't development of software be more complex as you have to both address and synchronize them? It will be like the PS3's cell all over again.

The 360's CPU wasn't as powerful as the PS3's, but its GPU was much more capable than the PS3's outdated GPU. The solid number crunching ability of the cell SPEs was able to take some GPU work to help get better visuals but it required more work to do.

For the xbone vs ps4 its much simpler since both have very similar CPU and GPUs. The main difference is the ps4 having a much more GPU cores vs the xbone.

So he is already doing damage control, that didn't take long.

"come on guys, everyone knew that already! Right guys ? ... right ?..."

Huh? No he's not, he's saying it's obvious that the PS4 is more powerful even when you just look at the hardware details.

RulkezX

Just wait until the AMD NDA lifts at the end of the month and MS tell devs about the 2nd GPU !

OT : I guess no smoke without fire, it's not the first time we have heard this, be it devs rumblings from Gamescon or whatever. Time will tell how big the difference is, and if its noticeable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom