• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

Wallach

This Code S finals has turned out pretty good. I was worried it was going to be a 4-0 loss for soO, which would have been kind of depressing. But Stats has looked super nervous the whole match and when he lost that 4th game it seems like he's kind of on tilt. He had an advantage in game 5 and kind of blew it. Wonder if he'll go back to a heavy Adept push early game again which seems like the reason he went up 3-0 in the first place, though if he tries it and soO defends this time, I wonder if it won't tilt him completely and result in soO running away with game 7.

Wedge7

GG Stats. I'm happy that at least sOO wasnt completely dumpstered, that would have just been sad. Still, while its sad for the guy with all his consistent second place finishes, he still making that bank. Dont shed too many tears for a guy always getting 2nd place money.

Mr Swine

Banned
So David Kim is quitting Starcraft 2 Balance Team, wonder if there will be big changes in Starcraft 2 now.

Also WCS challenge Europe is crazy good!

Syf

Banned
Hopefully. Also Browder and Kim are both on new, unannounced projects now. Maybe the same one. New RTS maybe?

DBT85

Totally way late to the party and only play the campaign, but just sat down to finally start LotV and had to come on here and say how shockingly awful the video compression is on the story so far cinematic. What a waste.

DBT85

Started playing a few games against the AI after watchig a few hours of LOTV multiplayer games and general advice.

Managing to expand an build SCVs fast enough but not able to spend the minerals fast enough. Its insane to me to see how fast people are using hotkeys while playing.

KiKaL

Started playing a few games against the AI after watchig a few hours of LOTV multiplayer games and general advice.

Managing to expand an build SCVs fast enough but not able to spend the minerals fast enough. Its insane to me to see how fast people are using hotkeys while playing.

I am in the same boat. I have had Wings of Liberty since it came out, honestly played more of the beta then the actual game. Randomly got started watching Bronze League Heros videos on YouTube and got the itch. Now I played through the WoL campaign and just bought the battlechest and trying and playing against AI trying to get mechanics down...I would say again but I was never very good. I am really enjoying the game. It was weird making the change between how many workers you start with between WoL and LotV.

DBT85

I am in the same boat. I have had Wings of Liberty since it came out, honestly played more of the beta then the actual game. Randomly got started watching Bronze League Heros videos on YouTube and got the itch. Now I played through the WoL campaign and just bought the battlechest and trying and playing against AI trying to get mechanics down...I would say again but I was never very good. I am really enjoying the game. It was weird making the change between how many workers you start with between WoL and LotV.

Sounds like you watched some of Winter's videos, I've been really enjoying them though it seems the streaming community doesn't like him for some bot viewing scandal in 2015.

Must have watched 7 hours worth of his stuff and he's very consisted on message, explains everything he's doing. Watching him then do commentary on Bronze league games is really funny after you've watched him play his own games a few hours. Even though I can't even play multi and I'd get creamed if I did, it was frustrating watching them repeat the same mistakes over and over in a game.

KiKaL

Sounds like you watched some of Winter's videos, I've been really enjoying them though it seems the streaming community doesn't like him for some bot viewing scandal in 2015.

Must have watched 7 hours worth of his stuff and he's very consisted on message, explains everything he's doing. Watching him then do commentary on Bronze league games is really funny after you've watched him play his own games a few hours. Even though I can't even play multi and I'd get creamed if I did, it was frustrating watching them repeat the same mistakes over and over in a game.

I was watching HuskyStarcrafts Bronze League Heroes. They are all pretty old now. I have watched some of Winter's videos. Some have been pretty helpful but I have no been a fan of his version of Bronze League Heroes.

Syf

Banned
I think Winter got an unfair treatment from the community. Always liked him, he did good commentary for new players. Yeah may have botted for views but I doubt he's alone in that. He's better at interacting with viewers than 90% of the SC streamers.

DBT85

I was watching HuskyStarcrafts Bronze League Heroes. They are all pretty old now. I have watched some of Winter's videos. Some have been pretty helpful but I have no been a fan of his version of Bronze League Heroes.

What was it that put you off them?

I just watched an hour long replay he covered where the Terran built 68 turrets, never upgraded his infantry, relied on ravens and just turtled the entire game. This was against a Zerg who didn't seem to know about any unit above a Hydra and so built about 600. Map ended up dry lol.

I think Winter got an unfair treatment from the community. Always liked him, he did good commentary for new players. Yeah may have botted for views but I doubt he's alone in that. He's better at interacting with viewers than 90% of the SC streamers.

As I said, I'm enjoying his stuff. I'm still finishing the LOTV campaign and I've not played SC in multiplayer ever despite playing SC, BW, and all 3 parts of SC2. He's good at trying to hammer home the basics of just getting your economy going, scouting, not getting supply blocked etc. As well as explaining what he's doing, what the other player is doing that's not ideal and how best to counter things.

I may end up never actually playing a multiplayer match but its been fun viewing!

Is there a Brood War thread? I'm a bit disappointed in the 1.18 BW patch. It's glitchy as fuck and it's missing a lot of great features from old school bnet. Even so, making BW free and eventually releasing an HD version with a working ladder is awesome. I'm having a blast playing through the campaign again.

Syf

Banned
Not really a BW thread, I agree though. 1.18 is very buggy and the Korean scene has almost entirely rejected it. They released too soon. The biggest problems are the issues with the mouse and hotkey inputs, totally disrupt the game.

KiKaL

What was it that put you off them?

He came off kind of condescending but I only watched one or two of them. I do enjoy all his other videos though. I just didn't like the vibe I got from his version. Husky's videos just felt very good willed. Like I said, I only watched one or two of them so maybe I need to give them a shot again since I do like his other videos.

Syf

Banned
Is there a Brood War thread? I'm a bit disappointed in the 1.18 BW patch. It's glitchy as fuck and it's missing a lot of great features from old school bnet. Even so, making BW free and eventually releasing an HD version with a working ladder is awesome. I'm having a blast playing through the campaign again.
Going back to this, 1.18.1 will be out today. At least they're moving quickly to hotfix 1.18.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20754325532?page=1

Saw a bit of WCS Austin when it was on and watching replays of ones I missed. Was sad seeing True choke the last two games against Nerchio. In game 3 I have no idea why he went for Ultralisks. On a map with so many choke points there was no point he was going to get good surface area with them. Even after that he still had a big economy and upgrade but got extremely passive and let Nerchio tech to Lurkers. Game 4 wasn't as much of a choke but he had the upgrade lead again and took an awful fight. There was a brief time where he looked like the next big upcoming Zerg. He was doing a bunch of crazy builds and winning with them.

OMFG Never thought I would see this in a professional match but it happened lolol

AnZAkB.gif

https://youtu.be/3NWUa6Pj4s8?t=35m3s

Casters mentioned before that match started that Scarlett was intentionally playing without sound... that hit was the worst. Absolutely devastating.

Apparantly its a tactic a player uses to focus more on the minimap. Pretty interesting. Smart move by Keen to use that to his advantage. It looked like she was in control up to that point and that just shifted the mood lol

I've been watching a lot of SC2 replays lately, and it just feels like Zerg players are a lot more sloppier overall, at all levels.

Zerg late game has a lot of important units where if you mismicro any of them you lose. For Terran late game you only really have to carefully micro Ghosts. Ravens too but it's easy to just drop a bunch of PDD's to escape. For Protoss late game Disruptors and occasionally Phoenixs are the only difficult units to micro where if you lose a few you're in big trouble. For Zerg, depending on what tech route you go, you can only lose a few Lurkers, Infestors, Vipers or Brood Lords before you start getting in a big hole.

I kind of lost interest in watching Starcraft 2 for awhile but have gotten heavily back into it (and Brood War) recently. What I've noticed is Terran are taking really late 4th's but Protoss and Zerg lose map control and can never punish them for it.

Zerg late game has a lot of important units where if you mismicro any of them you lose. For Terran late game you only really have to carefully micro Ghosts. Ravens too but it's easy to just drop a bunch of PDD's to escape. For Protoss late game Disruptors and occasionally Phoenixs are the only difficult units to micro where if you lose a few you're in big trouble. For Zerg, depending on what tech route you go, you can only lose a few Lurkers, Infestors, Vipers or Brood Lords before you start getting in a big hole.

I kind of lost interest in watching Starcraft 2 for awhile but have gotten heavily back into it (and Brood War) recently. What I've noticed is Terran are taking really late 4th's but Protoss and Zerg lose map control and can never punish them for it.

This was the most dominant "high level" (not pro) showing I've seen from Zerg. OFC, Terran did not go bio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTzDRonlqg&list=LLIS1TV8gX4qwZfw0ziettHA&index=1

This was the most dominant "high level" (not pro) showing I've seen from Zerg. OFC, Terran did not go bio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTzDRonlqg&list=LLIS1TV8gX4qwZfw0ziettHA&index=1

Two things stood out that game. That kind of looked like an all-in from HeroMarine because of how late his transition was. When TLO held he had to turtle which let him mass expand. Reminded me of an all-in from Heart of the Swarm where Terran gets really fast Stim and Combat Shields and pushes with a ton of Marines. The other thing that stood out was TLO could have won that 5 minutes earlier if he waited for Vipers before running in to all of those tanks. By that point though he had a massive economy and could do basically anything he wanted.

Edit: Holy shit the co-op mutation this week is stupid.

Top Bottom