• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fine would you be with the phone app for the Switch online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo's plans for online on the Switch are very sketchy in detail at the moment. Currently, a limited version of the service is free, but by the holiday, it'll become a paid subscription with it's key component being a dedicated Smart-Device app allowing for management of Voice Chat, Play Appointments, and universal game lobbies.

If this sounds confusing and clunky, well it does. It sounds like Nintendo is desperately trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. I get they want to encourage mobile players to make the Switch a companion piece and vice-versa. And that's fine, but I question the implementations of it.

That being said, how fine are you you're phone being a companion piece to the Switch? If it's actually a lot better than we're speculating, I'd be fine with managing universal voice chat through an app, BUT ONLY IF the voice chatting itself is done through the actual Switch hardware. I imagine this app would be nothing more than a glorified mute button and volume control in this case. The Switch does support wired headsets, so I can see Nintendo offering free wired headsets to subscribers, as well as offer wireless headsets for purchase. I would also imagine the app having a group chat feature that turns your phone into an open air mic so that multiple people in the same room can chat, which would be fine, as long as it's optional. Nintendo can be misguided, but I don't think they'd be stupid enough to expect users hold a phone up to their face while playing Splatoon 2. Plus, if you can actually chat with your friends across different games on your phone while you're away from your Switch, that would actually be pretty bad-ass.

As for other things like universal game lobbies and play appointments, I'm still unsure how they can make those work, but I do see it being useful in case you don't feel like backing out to the home menu and send invites to everyone in the middle of a game, though a conventional private messaging system on the Switch itself is a must as well. And setting play appointments could be useful for pre-setting game times to play with your friends, that way you're ready to play when the time comes. The Switch isn't as pocket friendly as a phone, so having a convenient way to access all of your multiplayer settings and friends with you at all times could be a major benefit. Of course, not everything can be tied to the app. As mentioned, a basic PM system and a way to access all you're friend messages on the Switch itself is mandatory if this is going to work.

Considering Nintendo's previous track record with online play, you'd be completely justified in being skeptical about Nintendo's approach here. But I don't think we should automatically write this off as a disaster just yet, especially since we don't know exactly how it's going to work. So I'd wait till Nintendo actually reveals what this app does before we call it DoA. Who knows, it could be one of those things you didn't even know you wanted until you used it.

Biske

I avoid voice chat like the plague so I don't care at all what they do in that area.

How online will otherwise be tied to the phone is interesting. Frankly if its more than just a way to voice chat, they can fuck right off, I'll be damned if I have to pay attention to some bullshit on my phone as well to play online.

iBlue

I hate the idea of depending of another device just to use features that are supposed to be integrates with the console. Of course i will end up using it but i still hate the idea and cant belive nintendo is going for it.

It's needs to be all in one. This is a terrible idea and they need to fix it. I don't care if it's later revisions or a hardware addition. It needs to be fixed.

Crayon

It sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I use several solutions for chat while gaming and with everything available I generally favor using clients on my phone. We had not one but two 30+ page freak out threads about this news. I was unmoved.

atbigelow

I think it is ridiculous if it isn't something available everywhere: it should be on the Switch itself, on a phone, and on the web. We have the technology to do all three.

I feel 100% sure that the App will be the source of your voice chat. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure the reason the OS is so minimalist on Switch is because they want all the resources they can get for games considering it's not the strongest thing out there.

If I'm gonna be pessimistic as well, I'd be pretty confident in saying all social features will be phone tied and give alerts to friends switches, which will just basically let them know to check their phone. Like it'll tell you if you get a PM, but those will be on the phone app.

I love Nintendo to death, but I don't think they're gonna do this the way people want.

I personally don't really care. I don't use these kinds of features.

D.Lo

It completely depends on unknowns right now. Can't say it sucks/works until it exists. The vague idea of it being a complimentary app that allows setting up of games beforehand without the console sounds good. If they try and pipe chat audio through the phone, while the console is the one producing game sounds, well, then we're in dumb town.

That said I've quit all in game chat audio for general online play. I have no desire to ever hear kids swearing and people's poor choices of music playing in the background. Friends only team chat, maybe.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Not so keen on this, to be honest.

Firstly, my phone battery is always dead by the time I get home after work, so I'll need to put it on the charger, which means it'll be sitting under the tv and not on the couch with me. Secondly, my phone is quite outdated, so I doubt the app will even support it.

Love my switch, but I hope there's a way around this.

Gestault

I think the idea of needing a second self-contained device to do what are normally (and reasonably) inernal functions is moronic. Doubly-so for something designed to be a portable device. Triply-so when that second "helper" device already has its own gaming capabilities and widely used communication apps.

Smasher89

A issue i see with this compared to sonys solution by having the headphonejacket in the controller and communication through the gaming system is that it seems to force you to pick either gamesound or party chat, no way to get both.

XandBosch

The people who actually put the effort in to be competitive online on Nintendo systems now will undoubtedly put in the same effort to use a phone (which everyone has on them anyway) for voice chat.

Due to the nature of the system itself, it makes sense. That being said, they should still have it built into the hardware, especially since so many seem to be playing the Switch in handheld mode. Having my headset plugged into my phone when my Switch is in my hands just seems arbitrary.

jwk94

If it's really a companion, sure. If it's the main method of doing most of the online stuff, no. Absolutely not. I'm not fiddling with my phone AND Switch for voice chat.

Jubenhimer

The people who actually put the effort in to be competitive online on Nintendo systems now will undoubtedly put in the same effort to use a phone (which everyone has on them anyway) for voice chat.

Due to the nature of the system itself, it makes sense. That being said, they should still have it built into the hardware, especially since so many seem to be playing the Switch in handheld mode. Having my headset plugged into my phone when my Switch is in my hands just seems arbitrary.

Well as I mentioned, if the app acts as little more than a glorified remote that allows you to add/remove friends to a chat session, or manipulate your voice, all while the actual voice chatting is done through the Switch hardware via a headset, then I can actually see the concept sticking.

Nope. It's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. I already use discord and line. I'm not putting another chatting app on my phone especially not one that is only for nintendo games.

So what about all the kids that don't have a phone? Or picture this... In a heated online game... You get a phone call.. Welp there goes any communication with your team. Its absolutely horrible idea.

atbigelow

Well as I mentioned, if the app acts as little more than a glorified remote that allows you to add/remove friends to a chat session, or manipulate your voice, all while the actual voice chatting is done through the Switch hardware via a headset, then I can actually see the concept sticking.

That's what I am really hoping for. If their app and such lets you manage friends, schedule events, setup parties, etc. that's great.

Crayon

Nope. It's the dumbest idea I've ever heard of. I already use discord and line. I'm not putting another chatting app on my phone especially not one that is only for nintendo games.

I heard having a third chat app is bad luck. I'm always careful to have two chat apps or less.

haimon

Given Nintendo's long standing and continuing issues with understanding how online and accounts are supposed to work, how they continue to fail in implementing a account system that does not have the Nintendo idiocy in it....

I have no hopes that they will manage to make an online system that works and uses a second device for it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So what about all the kids that don't have a phone? Or picture this... In a heated online game... You get a phone call.. Welp there goes any communication with your team. Its absolutely horrible idea.

I dont think Nintendo is interested in Kids voice chatting on their own to begin with...makin the phone essential to VC already eliminates users that are too young to own or have access to a phone.

I would assume that the parental control app will be able to limit functions in the Voice-Chat/Match making app as well if you decide to let your kid play online.

MaulerX

Don't like the idea of using my phone for doing something that should really be built into the system. I mean, what's the issue? Why can't they just implement the function into the Switch OS?

Kthulhu

I have no issue with it being an option, but I can't see how this is better than what the PS4 and Xbox One do.

Hoping they'll backtrack at E3.

Marcel

It's still an awful idea that makes me think that they didn't consider basic features like voice chat and game lobbies until the Switch was well along in production, which would be a staggering level of ineptitude even for Nintendo.

Jubenhimer

Given Nintendo's long standing and continuing issues with understanding how online and accounts are supposed to work, how they continue to fail in implementing a account system that does not have the Nintendo idiocy in it....

I have no hopes that they will manage to make an online system that works and uses a second device for it.

To be fair, they are getting better. eShop purchases are now tied to your Nintendo account, and you can now more easily move to another system without calling customer support and doing a transfer. The only real things they need to fix are allowing you to deactivate an older system remotely and the ability to back up save data to a microSD card. Other than that, they're making progress.

Don't like the idea of using my phone for doing something that should really be built into the system. I mean, what's the issue? Why can't they just implement the function into the Switch OS?

My guess is that they want to keep the Switch UI as simple and bloat free as possible. The whole thing was designed to let you start up a game/app as fast and efficiently as possible with no distractions or load times getting in the way. I can certainly see where their coming from in that context. And as I mentioned, as long as the voice chatting can be done through the actual Switch hardware, then I wouldn't mind using an app as long as it offers good options.

watershed

Banned
I don't know how it's going to work and I am still waiting for Nintendo to convince me that this app/service is going to be worth paying for.

13ruce

Banned
If it works fine and is free to download yes.
If it works like the crappy online of past ninty consoles eh.......

The Goat

As long as I can talk to all my buddies at once, I'm fine with the phone app. I really don't expect much from Nintendo for their paid online. I expect it to be exactly as it is currently, but locked behind a paywall.

I would love to be surprised by something awesome though. Here's to hoping.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
really not a fan of the concept. i use my switch in handheld mode nearly 100% of the time, so I don't really wanna be fumbling around with my phone at the same time.

i guess i could be swayed if it's amazing, but i really doubt it's gonna be as good as discord.

selo

I already use my phone all the time, if its a well designed APP and makes matchmaking less cumbersome than what games do, then I welcome it. Obviously we should wait to hear more details on it before we can start groaning/complaining.

Some things I hope the app does:
- Mass friend invites to games
- Party (with chat/voice)
- Customizable alerts when friends start playing a game/looking to play
- Chat rooms per game (no voice)
- Chat rooms for group of friends

If they're charging for online play, the app should definitely be free.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I already use my phone all the time, if its a well designed APP and makes matchmaking less cumbersome than what games do, then I welcome it.

How do games make matchmaking cumbersome that a phone app can solve?

It needs to be on the console. Having online handled the a cellphone app is honestly even beyond Nintendo's online gaming incompetence. No other gaming device does this.

If it stays through the app exclusively, there's no way I'm paying their subscription fee.

Jubenhimer

How do games make matchmaking cumbersome that a phone app can solve?

Well if you can actually pre-set game sessions for your friends on your phone, that way, your ready to go instantly when you pull out your Switch, it would actually be very convenient.

Fuck.

No.

No aspect of online should be dependant on my phone being charged and near me at all times for any console. It's utterly asinine they're even considering and even more so that people are willing to excuse it. Online voice chat had been possible on gaming hardware for almost a decade and a half. A modern day $300 device's OS should be able to handle it, no sweat.

Keeping the OS "lean and snappy" will not be affected one iota by an integrated online system, unless all of Nintendo's OS engineers are interns or something.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I won't ever pay to play online, so it does not bother me, but since I don't have a (touchscreen based) mobile phone, if I were willing to pay for online I would still not do it if most features are locked away from me.

Skyzard

Banned
Paying for online for a handheld and then having those features locked behind yet another handheld?!?

God damn. Makes me angry they're even still going through with this, it's such an insult and showing of pure greed. Sub-par service that no one wants to pay for.

If they shut down wiiu servers to push people to the switch anytime soon, I'll never support nintendo again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom