• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight finalized for Aug. 26 - It's on!

We haven't seen Floyd in years and now he's past his prime going against a fresh Conor. If this goes to a decision Floyd more than likely loses due to the fact that Conor went 12 rounds with the self-titled greatest boxer of his generation.

Conor is sparring with MMA guys and amateur boxers whereas Floyd brought in Zab Judah and Errol Spence Jr. These are experienced boxers we're talking about here versus amateurs. Conor needs to bring in an experienced boxer that can give him the tools to succeed.

My main gripe for Conor's side is a seeming lack of preparation. He should've started preparing for Floyd in January. If he started back then the odds would be higher. Start getting yourself ready and prepare for this like you should.

I want a good clean sportsmanlike bout between champions.

Who says he didn't start training early. Just yesterday I heard his lawyer say he was training full time for this fight in February. He's known for a while this fight would get made (even after everyone doubted him yet again). Just look at the articles that said this fight was NEVER happening. The same people that are now writing he has ZERO chance.

Obviously he's far from a favorite, but to claim his chances of winning are zero seems like a recipe for crow eating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/898244647985618944
From Sporting News, Executive VP & General Manager of Showtime Sports, Stephen Espinoza, on the Conor footage Showtime received.

DHc0kX8UwAAeJx8.jpg

Tom_Cody

"We received a few short clips. Roughly a minute total which were provided by the Conor camp. We reviewed them and were very interested in using them and including them in ‘All Access.' But it was a series of sort of spliced-together McGregor highlights, eight or nine seconds each. We didn't want to use the whole thing. It was sort of repetitive. We were told if we didn't use the whole segment as they edited it then we couldn't use it at all. So in the end, Conor's camp withheld permission for us to use it. Otherwise we definitely wanted to use it. There was no intent to protect Paulie. We just wanted to cut some of the clips because it was pretty redundant, repetitive stuff."

Wow, nothing deceptive about that!

The marketing is doing a number on a lot of people, to an extent myself included. Floyd wanted to hype him up, and while none of that does anything to me, him talking about "wanting to put on a show" and wanting to put on fireworks kinda makes me think he is leaving himself open.

But then I snap out and realize he's Floyd Mayweather, and his opponent isn't even a boxer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I would not bet money on a notoriously corrupt sport when every major stakeholder can benefit from a fix. A fix that would be easy to create and fake.

hwy_61

Banned
You know what bothers me about this fight? That there is nothing, absolutely nothing to lose for these guys. Nothing's at stake. They're both going to walk away with fuckin truckloads of money, so who gives a shit who wins, my bet is they sure as hell won't. So many of my co-workers, friends, family are hyping this fight up so much, and I just don't understand why.

I'm a party pooper.

I would not bet money on a notoriously corrupt sport when every major stakeholder can benefit from a fix. A fix that would be easy to create and fake.

Mayweather is way too rich and narcissistic to lose by a fix, especially when he's making over 100 million dollars by winning and remaining undefeated.

Haunted

You know what bothers me about this fight? That there is nothing, absolutely nothing to lose for these guys. Nothing's at stake. They're both going to walk away with fuckin truckloads of money, so who gives a shit who wins, my bet is they sure as hell won't. So many of my co-workers, friends, family are hyping this fight up so much, and I just don't understand why.

I'm a party pooper.
I think they're motivated to win. For the record, for the history-making etc.

not seeing the fix

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Clearly a money grab otherwise they wouldn't have mixed sports this way. Great for mcgregors profile and bank balance, should be an easy win for flloyd.

JettDash

I've never bet online before.

Is it safe to do so in America?

Because I'm very confident that Mayweather will win. Might bet big on him if I can.

rugioh

Banned

I'm a party pooper.

Why would Mayweather take a dive and tarnish his undefeated streak? He already makes millions, why would he take an L for more of the same?

MastAndo

Gold Member

I'm a party pooper.
Nah, Floyd has a bunch to lose. The guy has earned all there is to earn monetarily in boxing, it's all about his legacy now. Having his perfect record tarnished by a guy fighting his first pro boxing match would be a huge blemish...particularly a guy who has clowned him every step of the way. If it was another big name fighter with a loss already on his record against Conor, I would be convinced he would be taking a dive here to set up a trilogy of fights for a huge payday.

That's not the case here though. For all we know about Floyd, it's pretty clear it would be devastating to him to have Conor come in there and upset him.

Moze

Banned
People can look at the skill gap between the two fighters, but what many people do not look at is how confident Conor is. That should be a worry for Floyd. Conor won't freeze up in the ring. I believe Conor thinks he can win. I believe he thinks he is going to KO Floyd.

People really forget how important that is to a fighter. You can be the best fighter in the world, but if you have any doubts, you will not win the fight. You have to believe you will win. Many great fighters do not believe they can win when they go into fights. This is likely going to be a big thing with Canelo next month. The GGG meme is harder to defeat than GGG himself.

Anth0ny

Mayweather is way too rich and narcissistic to lose by a fix, especially when he's making over 100 million dollars by winning and remaining undefeated.

but he loves money so much that he's going to bet his entire fortune + purse from this fight on conor and throw the fight

walk away with $2 billion

I'M A 10 FIGURE FIGHTER

rugioh

Banned
but he loves money so much that he's going to bet his entire fortune + purse from this fight on conor and throw the fight

I'M A 10 FIGURE FIGHTER

I think the only thing Mayweather may care more about than money is his undefeated streak and his legacy. Let alone losing it to some guy who hasn't fought a boxing match before.

I'M A 10 FIGURE FIGHTER

the 0 means too much to Floyd. It's what his entire persona is built off of. Plus at 50-0 he sets the all time record.

KOMANI

KOMANI
People can look at the skill gap between the two fighters, but what many people do not look at is how confident Conor is. That should be a worry for Floyd. Conor won't freeze up in the ring. I believe Conor thinks he can win. I believe he thinks he is going to KO Floyd.

People really forget how important that is to a fighter. You can be the best fighter in the world, but if you have any doubts, you will not win the fight. You have to believe you will win. Many great fighters do not believe they can win when they go into fights. This is likely going to be a big thing with Canelo next month. The GGG meme is harder to defeat than GGG himself.
He was confident going into the first Diaz fight too.

Saganator

The only chance Connor has is if he fights so unorthodox that Mayweather doesn't know how to handle it.

Any intermediate or advanced poker player who's played against newbies can understand. You're used to people playing the game a certain way and then when you're against someone who doesn't follow the norms, you can no longer predict their moves, and just ends up being really frustrating. I once lost a poker game to someone who's never played before and it was extremely frustrating. This is the only way I can see Conner winning.

flkraven

UFC just set up Tony Ferguson vs Kevin Lee for the interim lightweight belt at UFC 216. Suppose Kevin Lee wins that fight, people really think McGregor will come back from a Floyd Mayweather fight to defend his title against Kevin fucking Lee?

Not going to happen. I expect moneyfights only from now on.

Saw online that the Ferguson / Lee promo shots are being taken down. Also hearing that Nate Diaz might be fighting again soon. If true, and one of the fighters dropped out, I'd love to see Diaz get the shot. If Nate gets interim, then that's the perfect fight for Conor when he returns.

Dazzler

The only chance Connor has is if he fights so unorthodox that Mayweather doesn't know how to handle it.

Any intermediate or advanced poker player who's played against newbies can understand. You're used to people playing the game a certain way and then when you're against someone who doesn't follow the norms, you can no longer predict their moves, and just ends up being really frustrating. I once lost a poker game to someone who's never played before and it was extremely frustrating. This is the only way I can see Conner winning.

I used to play FIFA to a pretty high standard, even won a few cash tournaments. The toughest people I would ever play were people who were brand new to the game. They didn't fall into the same predictable behaviour patterns as others. I had no idea what they were going to do, or how to counter it

BadAss2961

You think Floyd is counting on Conor just folding before anything happens? Floyd's never been an intimidating guy, everyone who goes at him believes they can win. These are pros, they're all confident. You should expect nothing less from Conor than his usual bravado.

For the most part, fighters only go in scared against killers like the Mike Tyson and GGG types. And even with them, most guys aren't afraid until they feel the power.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Being confident isn't going to do anything when he starts getting gassed before the halfway point of the fight or any less frustrated at not being able to land decent shots on Mayweather who constantly pelts away at him while making it look easy.

Moze

Banned
You think Floyd is counting on Conor just folding before anything happens? Floyd's never been an intimidating guy, everyone who goes at him believes they can win. These are pros, they're all confident. You should expect nothing less from Conor than his usual bravado.

For the most part, fighters only go in scared against killers like the Mike Tyson and GGG types. And even with them, most guys aren't afraid until they feel the power.

Not at all. Fighting Floyd is a huge step up for any boxer. It is the biggest step up a boxer in the division can make. It is stepping up to fight the best on a huge stage, something most opponents have never experienced. Floyd is used to it. He does it all the time. That was never the case for the majority of his opponents. You think the majority of Floyd's opponents were used to fighting at that level? That huge stage? With everyone telling them they are going to lose? The thought of getting schooled by somebody who has schooled everybody. That gets to fighters and makes them tense up.

There are fighters who just don't care. Conor seems like one of them.

Not at all. Fighting Floyd is a huge step up for any boxer. It is the biggest step up a boxer in the division can make. It is stepping up to fight the best on a huge stage, something most opponents have never experienced. Floyd is used to it. He does it all the time. That was never the case for the majority of his opponents. You think the majority of Floyd's opponents were used to fighting at that level? That huge stage? With everyone telling them they are going to lose? The thought of getting schooled by somebody who has schooled everybody. That gets to fighters and makes them tense up.

If it makes you feel better then go ahead with that notion. When Floyd wins I want no excuses.

You say that as if Floyd hasn't fought plenty of boxers who were used to fighting on the big stage and winning like De La Hoya, Mosely, Cotto, Hatton, or Pacquaio. All future Hall of Famer BOXERS and PPV draws in their own right.

BadAss2961

Well, it still remains to be seen how Conor performs. He's fought at the highest stage in UFC, but nothing on this level. Nevermind fighting in an entirely different sport.

If he shows up and gets clowned, it'll look like he never was confident. Then people will say it was all just talk as he laughs his way to the bank.

Furyous

I've never bet online before.

Is it safe to do so in America?

Because I'm very confident that Mayweather will win. Might bet big on him if I can.

It's possible to bet odds on this fight online? I am not implying that I would vote for this but wondering about the technology behind this possibility existing. If I could find a source of a website then I could inquire about how their technology works for my app idea...

*looks at McGregor odds*

*birdman hand rub*

If Conor has been training since February then he stands a better chance of not getting knocked out. If this goes the distance then Conor wins. If Conor is allowed to do cheap shots and push down Floyd like he did Paulie then Conor wins.

It's plenty of scenarios for Conor to win this.

I feel like quoting Seanbaby on the matter.

Seanbaby said:
The point is, this shit is a dick-waving circus and when Conor and Floyd finally stop waving dicks they still won't solve anything. And I don't mean that in any kind of "fighting is never the answer" way. In order to explain, let's take a look at how modern boxing works. In most sports, the top athletes compete to determine the best in the world. In modern boxing, the top athletes avoid each other to protect perfect records and manipulate public interest in order to turn a cycle of anticipation and disappointment into money. Top contenders in boxing are like Charlie Sheen and AIDS-- for years, the whole world wonders why they aren't battling yet, and when they finally do it's just kind of sad.

The way boxing is evolving, there will soon be 4,000 divisions and organizations, each with its own undefeated champion and a single battered man who suffers all the sport's losses. They'll call this man Plurge Gobo, because that's all he'll say when fans recognize him in his wheelchair and beg him to stop. "Plurge Gobo!" he'll repeat as their hearts quietly break. "Plurge? Gobo?" he'll ask again, never quite sure why everyone cries when they meet him. "Plurge," he'll decide. "Gobo," he'll poop.

So most of boxing is about ducking, and no one is better at ducking enemies and punches than Floyd Mayweather. He's the greatest defensive boxer of all time and he's going up against a counter fighter competing in the wrong sport. He and Conor are going to circle and hug in a frustrating demonstration of why man invented kicks and machetes. Both MMA and boxing will end up looking bad, and everyone who buys the pay-per-view will have exactly $99.95 less love in their heart. Then again, Plurge Gobo has proven magic is real if we only reach for it, so maybe the fight will be great and everyone will be happy?

I'm a party pooper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMOzvxQHywM

After Floyd said he is going to make $300M+ on this one fight I feel like....

Conor winning a split decision which leads to be a rematch and then eventually a trilogy could happen.

Hence making Floyd a billionaire.

ExrkoYS.gif

Top Bottom