• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Pay is amazing.

JettDash

My S7 installed the app automatically when it upgraded the firmware few days ago.

Haven't used it or Android Pay yet, (within the past 2 years my credit and debit cards expired, the new cards the bank sends me are never contactless so I've still been using chip and pin. I don't know why they hate me.)

Does the UK get those fancy free money rewards the OP is on about? I might give it a go if they do.

I have no idea.

Izayoi

Banned
Are US POS systems that crappy? In the UK there is no separate button for Android Pay, or Apple Pay or contactless, it's all done under the "Pay by Card" button.
Must be, because unless I tell the person I'm using a card Samsung Pay frequently does not work.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, the last time I was behind a cash register was a long ass time ago.

Just tried to buy a Poweball ticket with Samsung Pay but couldn't.

Got it with the regular card. If I win, I will give the next 10 people who reply to this thread $100k each.
:lol

Right on man. I mostly get my lottery tickets from machines and they all require cash.

It's been a long time since I've bought one, the last time was that record when it broke $1 billion or whatever.

So cute.

Samsung supports a technology that should have been ditched a decade ago, yey.

It's good that they do, but wow they really shouldn't have to.

So cute that your posts offer no solution for the American consumer.
Stores should have ditched it a decade ago - but they didn't.

It's good to say that stores should update their systems. But until they do, this is the reality that we're dealing with here in the US - and this makes things easier for consumers in the US who exist in this reality.

hiryu64

Thanks OP! I'd been wanting to use Samsung Pay for a while, but I always assumed I couldn't because nowhere I go has NFC readers. I didn't know about MST before reading this thread, so I tried it out over my lunch break at a cafeteria. We weren't sure if it took at first, but then the virtual card's numbers showed up on the kiosk, and it went through without a hitch. Pretty slick. I'll definitely bee using it wherever I go from here on out.

I heard the UK version doesn't have the mag strip part, doesn't matter since Barclays does n;t support samsung pay I guess tho their app seems to work fine.

I feel like a twat everytime I use my phone as a card tho, only ever do it if I'm buying something after a gym sesh as I don't take my wallet.

Also I can't remember the last time I saw a card reader that didn't have contactless, so I guess it'd be kind of pointless in this country anyways.

JettDash

Thanks OP! I'd been wanting to use Samsung Pay for a while, but I always assumed I couldn't because nowhere I go has NFC readers. I didn't know about MST before reading this thread, so I tried it out over my lunch break at a cafeteria. We weren't sure if it took at first, but then the virtual card's numbers showed up on the kiosk, and it went through without a hitch. Pretty slick. I'll definitely bee using it wherever I go from here on out.

Glad to be of help. That's why I started the thread.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
There was no point since they're phasing it out all over. I dont even remember using a swipe recently here in Canada
You don't know about our backwards tech in the US.

I really would use Android Pay everywhere, since it's 100% faster than inserting the chip into the the reader when that's required.

Also I can't remember the last time I saw a card reader that didn't have contactless, so I guess it'd be kind of pointless in this country anyways.

Can't lose your card / get it stolen / break it if you don't have it :p Uses a virtual card number too so protects your actual card from fraud. Pretty neato.

Wow, that's so stupid. Why do banks charge more for chip payments? It's in their best interests to switch to chip and NFC since it's more secure and saves them money they'd otherwise have to reimburse due to card fraud.

Yeah, not switching to chip is more expensive with the change in liability for fraud if a merchant doesn't have chip enabled. Where I work there was an uptick in fraudulent purchase costs before the switch due to the change was fine after the deadline for it.

Rootbeer

Banned
I love using Apple Pay, but wish it had some of these features. The rewards sound really good.

Can't stand the chip cards. It's so slow. Worse, they sometimes give read errors and you have to start the process all over again and hope it works. Thankfully a lot of stores accept Apple/Android pay or similar variants... except Target. But they are rolling out contactless soon -- catch is you have to do it through their App, but it will still make my life a lot easier.

JettDash

Swiping? Is this the 90s?

Swiping is better than chip cards in the US because it is faster. Also, as far as I can tell chips cards are no more secure. You don't even have to use a PIN. My GF gave me her debit card to buy some shit at Walmart once. When I was checking out, I'm like fuck, I don't remember the PIN. The cashier just had me run it as credit and I signed my name. She of course did not even check it against the signature on the card.

eizarus

Banned
It's pretty good in the UK assuming you have a card from a bank that they support. Currently there's HSBC, and like maybe 3 other smaller scale banks. I like that they give me rewards for Costa Coffee quite often.

Cynar

Ever since I started using Apple Pay (in Canada) I can't even imagine going back. Works everywhere as well. Glad there's another that has joined the mobile payment ranks. Time to ditch the cash and plastic asap.
Americans are just amazed because they still use swipe readers. The majority of their terminals in the US still don't even have tap for debit. It's insanity how many banks they have their.

I love my s8 and Android pay, Samsung pay is garbage compared to it in Canada+ or the rest of the modern world really) since you have way more choice with Android pay and to actually be able to use debit cards.

JettDash

Americans are just amazed because they still use swipe readers. The majority of their terminals in the US still don't even have tap for debit. It's insanity how many banks they have their.

I love my s8 and Android pay, Samsung pay is garbage compared to it in Canada+ or the rest of the modern world really) since you have way more choice with Android pay and to actually be able to use debit cards.

I know for a fact that you can use debit cards on Samsung Pay in the US. I got a free $15 for using my USAA debit card three times.

Kthulhu

Swiping is better than chip cards in the US because it is faster. Also, as far as I can tell chips cards are no more secure. You don't even have to use a PIN. My GF gave me her debit card to buy some shit at Walmart once. When I was checking out, I'm like fuck, I don't remember the PIN. The cashier just had me run it as credit and I signed my name. She of course did not even check it against the signature on the card.

EMC is more secure. No one ever checks the signature, signing for a card is security theater.

Lum1n3s

I used Samsung Pay at Home Depot the other day and when my payment went through the cashier said that was devil magic lol. Also love the rewards, managed to get a $25 gift card to gamestop thanks to it.

JettDash

EMC is more secure. No one ever checks the signature, signing for a card is security theater.

My point is that in the US, all you need to do is sign something, even if you use a chip card. Well if it is below a certain amount (like $25), you don't even have to sign.

My point is that in the US, all you need to do is sign something, even if you use a chip card. Well if it is below a certain amount (like $25), you don't even have to sign.
The US =/= the whole world. Saying chip and pin isn't secure because the US infrastructure for card payments is terrible isn't an argument against chip and pin cards.

JettDash

The US =/= the whole world. Saying chip and pin isn't secure because the US infrastructure for card payments is terrible isn't an argument against chip and pin cards.

My argument was for the US. You could tell by me saying, "Swiping is better than chip cards in the US..."

Also, I don't really give that much of a crap if some steals my card since I (almost always) use a credit card to pay so at no point will I be out money.

Samsung Pay definitely has the advantage in the U.S

What sucks is that it’s mainly because stores have the capability for NFC but don’t turn it on. For example places like CVS and Publix to name two.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Issue I'm running into as of late is terminals tell me I have to use the chip reader. Like I'm in the US where most customer facing terminals have both swipe and chip, but it errors out and want me to use the chip. :/

hirokazu

Chips are more secure than magnetic strip. Magnetic strip stores your card details as plain text.

IISANDERII

Apple Pay - released October 20, 2014, planning started in 2013, worked with Mastercard and Visa directly with employees at those companies working on the project in secret.

Samsung Pay - released August 20, 2015, came into existence via purchase of LoopPay in February 2015.

Just another ripped off, rushed technology from Samsung, really disappointing, even the name was a blatant rip off.
Loopay was founded in 2012 so it’s actually Apple who ripped off the idea, technology and the name. Apple probably tried to patent troll them too.

sangreal

Chips are more secure than magnetic strip. Magnetic strip stores your card details as plain text.

That's not why they are more secure. The card details are written on the card in plain text. Encoding the mag stripe data differently wouldn't do anything

They're more secure because they prevent cloned cards from being used in chip-enabled terminals (since the chip can't be cloned)

jstripes

Banned
Issue I'm running into as of late is terminals tell me I have to use the chip reader. Like I'm in the US where most customer facing terminals have both swipe and chip, but it errors out and want me to use the chip. :/

In Canada if your card has a chip, the terminal will automatically reject a swipe and insist you insert the chip.

It was only a matter of time until Samsung Pay ran into this wall in the US.

Loopay was founded in 2012 so it's actually Apple who ripped off the idea, technology and the name. Apple probably tried to patent troll them too.

Loopay and Apple Pay are 100% different technologies.

Loopay emulates a card swipe with magnetic fields, Apple Pay (and Google Pay) is a tokenized NFC payment.

n0razi

retailers don't care.

banks don't care.

the deadline was almost two years ago and so many places still use swipe terminals.

They have the functionality, the issue is that most of the major credit processors and banks tack on an additional fee for chip transactions

Lets say you are a restaurant and you sell a burger for $8 with a $1 profit margin.

Someone pays cash, you get $8, you make $1 profit
Someone pays using AMEX via mag stripe, you get $7.65 (after fees), you make 65-cents profit
Someone pays using AMEX via chip, you get $7.40 (after fees), you makes 40-cents profit

See why no one wants to take chip?

Top Bottom