• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rental 1886 is bad.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I didn't enjoy it very much, I'm very happy that I borrowed it from a friend (who bought it on the cheap) rather than purchasing it.

It also ran sub-1080p thanks to the black bars. I remember some at launch pretending that was not the case, but most of GAF agreed it wasn't ideal and was effectively sub-1080p.

But I strongly disagree with the "The Uncharted collection proves you can still have a cinematic experience at 60 FPS" stuff. Look, it's a bunch of PS3 games, it'd be surprising if it was not 60 FPS, so that's not how anything works, OP. The Order 1886 is much, much prettier and more hardware-intensive than that, perhaps beat on the OG PS4 only by Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank 2016, although those two came later and were full HD to boot. Both of those had to be 30 FPS, same with The Order 1886. I'm sick of people (not trying to pick on you specifically OP) not understanding that hardware-intensive games require a sacrifice in frame rate.

It really is not a good game. It's very pretty (aside from the letterbox and frame rate), it has interesting lore and backstory, and some of the set pieces were neat. Gameplay though? It's an extremely boring fish in a barrel shooter that doesn't even have enough of the actual fish in a barrel shooting. The stuff with werewolves was intriguing but then you only fight like 3 of them the entire game?

It's literally the Ryse of PS4.

Ryse is like, fun to play for a bit though.

icespide

Banned
wow what happened on the first page??

I liked the order for the most part but definitely acknowledge its flaws. I would love a sequel

Banned
It's a completely 5/10 game. Great graphics, settings, sound and premise. Fails in execution, enemy, boss and level design.

Also, when you scroll through that first page it's like

giphy.gif

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I maintain that it wasn't THAT bad.

When you weren't watching cutscenes or fighting Lycans, it was actually a decent shooter.

Like Ryse, there's a solid foundation for a potentially amazing sequel there. Just give it to a studio that's interested in making a game and not a movie.

icespide

Banned

When you weren't watching cutscenes or fighting Lycans, it was actually a decent shooter.

Like Ryse, there's a solid foundation for a potentially amazing sequel there. Just give it to a studio that's interested in making a game and not a movie.

Ready at Dawn should do Ryse 2 and Crytek should make The Order 1887

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Short and lacked variety, but it had a great story and setting.

Gaminar

Banned
Worst Review Ever.

Why does something that's grounded in reality for shooting effects have to be reviewed so poorly? And even when that wasn't the case, there were other more fancier toys to play with. So what if you were shooting a rebel? How would that be any different than shooting a locust in GeOW?

I swear gamers these days are so petty. It was the first game going into a buildup into the second with great potential to fight vampires and werewolves... probably. It deserves a sequel. Not to mention outside of Ass Creed Syndicate, the timeline for the East India Company and the British Raj was well rooted. But of course why would some gamers want to build narratives when it hasn't happened in a place that doesn't concern history.

Ughhh...

The heavenly sword and haze of this generation. Now that there are good exclusives on PS4 we can look back and see how the order 1886 was straight trash.

i like the order. the setting was amazing and the gun play (whatever little there was ) was good and not broken or bad like many reviewers said.

personally a lot of games suffered from the walking simulator kind off gameplay post tlou. even kz shadowfall had long sections where you did the exact same thing. the problem with order was that during the walking sections it had nothing substantial to say or show.

antitrop

I honestly think this game was a better debut than Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in quite a few areas, definitely better than Killzone, both of those were average/mediocre games which received amazing sequels. Ready at Dawn have the production pipeline in place, a foundation to build on & know exactly where they went right & wrong with the first game, they could definitely make an amazing sequel. Unfortunately the amount of money to make a game now probably makes it too much of a gamble.

They've built a world begging to be explored, it had its fair share of faults, but I would love a sequel.
They do both have two of the worst final bosses to have ever disgraced a third-person shooter, yeah.

Exodust

Banned
I get why people who liked the game for what it is(you people still baffle me) would want a sequel, but those who say it's very flawed but has potential floor me. It was a mediocre and extremely generic story with boring gameplay when gameplay shows up. What potential? The reasoning brought it up could apply to literally every below average to mediocre forgettable game out there. They fucked up the first time, no need for a second go. I'd much rather have something entirely new that realizes what it couldn't.

The heavenly sword and haze of this generation. Now that there are good exclusives on PS4 we can look back and see how the order 1886 was straight trash.

HS was flawed but it's a better game than the order. I'm not even going to acknowledge you comparing it to Haze.

Such a shit-show of a "game". So little effort put into anything besides the technical aspects and even then the game looks like ass since it lacks any sort of color and the environments are just there to tease you. You don't actually get to do almost anything besides the most mediocre half-assed cover based shooting of the generation. Can't wrap my head around why anyone would want a sequel to this unless you'd like to see the basic concept done in a completely revamped way that prevents it from sucking.

The Order 1886 is an objectively bad game.

Straight up. Doesn't even deserve the 63 it has on metacritic.

Endo Punk

This game is the worst steak ever. Didn't RAD say in some interview that they learnt their lesson and a sequel made would have multiplayer.... Wtf would that fix? Here's a shitty sequel but now with shitty mp, enjoy.

marrec

Banned
This game is the worst steak ever. Didn't RAD say in some interview that they learnt their lesson and a sequel made would have multiplayer.... Wtf would that fix? Here's a shitty sequel but now with shitty mp, enjoy.

Ya... multiplayer certainly wouldn't fix the most glaring issues the game faced. :-/

Every shooter needs multiplayer! Dead Space MP was so great, wasn't it? Haha, christ.

Endo Punk

RAD has been really tone deaf to the flaws of the game, really a shame coming from a Dev who used to be one of my favs. They seem to think they made some high art that people don't understand.

The shooting is "decent" in that when you move the character around, or when you press the button to fire the gun, it feels fine, but it falls way below decent in terms of execution and design. You basically navigate from room to room that are glorified shooting galleries. There is no tactics or strategy required, the enemy AI is virtually non existsent, these are things that at a very basic level even Gears of War was doing 10 years ago. They give you a handful of different (and in some cases cool) weapons but never a reason to use them. And when you finally fight something other than braindead human grunts like the Lycans, it turns into a crappy, slow QTE sequence or some godawful stealth.

They nail the visuals and setting, but even then waste that on a story that completely misses the mark, and the twist/reveal towards the end has impact because the characters and their relationships have been so poorly developed. In that regard in sort of felt like a middle chapter in a story rather than an introductory one.

test_account

XP-39C²
This game has been discussed to death on neogaf, no Idea which thread had a link about mp addition if a sequel were to be made. Just like I can't be bothered to find the thread where rad called 1886 a high quality steak.
If they called it something specific as "high quality steak", i found it easily on Google :) Seems like that the comment was about the game's length. But i'm asking because i doubt that they said that the lesson they learned was simply to add multiplayer.

You know Sony madness on GAF has gone too far when a thread about The Order is far more praise than negativity. The game part is so bad I don't know how anyone could truly enjoy it.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I really liked it. One of my favorite PS4 exclusives to be honest.

Same here. Beat it almost on one sitting. It really gave me a unique experience.

No gears, no experience, no skill trees. All you need to do is to play and see how the plot
unfolds with the supreme graphics.

I feel like changing my gaf name to sir galahad if I could, haha .

test_account

XP-39C²
You know Sony madness on GAF has gone too far when a thread about The Order is far more praise than negativity. The game part is so bad I don't know how anyone could truly enjoy it.
Comes down to expectations, taste and what one choose to focus on. Not really that strange, is it? :p

Endo Punk

If they called it something specific as "high quality steak", i found it easily on Google :) Seems that the comment was about the game's length. But i'm asking because i doubt that they said that the lesson they learned was simply to add multiplayer.

Well the multiplatform games they are making atleast show they are paying attention to gameplay know. As far as The Order 1886 goes there are fundamental flaws in its character development, story and gameplay that a sequel would be unrecognisable if it were to fix all of it(probably another 5 years of development). I'm vaguely remembering the mp talk but it was brought up which in itself is stupid. A sequel would need major work from the ground up, they Will have no time and man power to add a robust mp if they don't intend to half arse it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well the multiplatform games they are making atleast show they are paying attention to gameplay know. As far as The Order 1886 goes there are fundamental flaws in its character development, story and gameplay that a sequel would be unrecognisable if it were to fix all of it(probably another 5 years of development). I'm vaguely remembering the mp talk but it was brought up which in itself is stupid. A sequel would need major work from the ground up, they Will have no time and man power to add a robust mp if they don't intend to half arse it.
If i remember correctly, serveral of people wanted multiplayer, so Ready at Dawn most likely commented on wanting to add that indeed. I dont think adding multiplayer is a stupid idea. It could be cool i think.

But yeah, a sequel is very unlikely to happen. I cant see Sony funding it (i assume Sony owns the IP). Ready at Dawn said in the interview i linked to earlier that they learned it was better to start with few ideas and expand on that, rather on having hundred ideas and having to limit that as developement goes on. They also touch on the character developement, saying something like they had the characters' back stories much clearer in their head than what they managed to make into the game.

Endo Punk

If i remember correctly, serveral of people wanted multiplayer, so Ready at Dawn most likely commented on wanting to add that indeed. I dont think adding multiplayer is a stupid idea. It could be cool i think.

But yeah, a sequel is very unlikely to happen. I cant see Sony funding it (i assume Sony owns the IP). Ready at Dawn said in the interview i linked to earlier that they learned it was better to start with few ideas and expand on that, rather on having hundred ideas and having to limit that as developement goes on. They also touch on the character developement, saying something like they had the characters' back stories much clearer in their head than what they managed to make into the game.

Shame it had to be this way. rad were woefully unprepared for console development, they did not bring any of their talent and expertise on level design and gameplay from the PSP games.

Comes down to expectations, taste and what one choose to focus on. Not really that strange, is it? :p

Shocking really. I went in expecting it to be bad but I was still disappointed. The shooting is honestly so garbage, it makes Uncharted 1 feel like fucking DOOM. The graphics and animations were top notch, but they were about the only thing that wasn't straight dumpster. It's like the reverse NieR Automata.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Worst Review Ever.

Why does something that's grounded in reality for shooting effects have to be reviewed so poorly?
Because while it's grounded they don't do interesting things with the fantastical setting.

And even when that wasn't the case, there were other more fancier toys to play with.
That are RARELY handed out.

So what if you were shooting a rebel? How would that be any different than shooting a locust in GeOW?
Because the locust are actually fun to fight, have several variants to keep battles interesting, and they aren't brain dead even on higher difficulties.

I swear gamers these days are so petty. It was the first game going into a buildup into the second with great potential to fight vampires and werewolves... probably.
It did this very poorly by squandering it's unique premise on the most by the numbers plot ever conceived.

It deserves a sequel.
It sincerely doesn't tho. What is there to work with, you have a very boring lead character, a very by the numbers supporting cast, a really stupid villain, forced romance... like no...

Not to mention outside of Ass Creed Syndicate, the timeline for the East India Company and the British Raj was well rooted. But of course why would some gamers want to build narratives when it hasn't happened in a place that doesn't concern history.

Ughhh...
The East India Company presented of the game would've been dissolved more than a decade before it's events...

ryseing

Short and lacked variety, but it had a great story and setting.

Serious question- how can you call the story great? It was the most cliched piece of garbage I've seen in quite some time. No memorable characters, plot twists you can see coming miles away, and just a ton of overall stupidity.

Only rented game this generation. Played about 2 hours and never grabbed me. It was pretty but felted like cobbled together gun fights.

It looked great, and had a handful of genuinely interesting moments. I liked the concept. But at $60 it's not worth it.

Just give me a proper conclusion.

I got this game on sale for $10 several months ago, and I think it's next on my list. Can't wait to beat it and see where I stand.

Yes, lots of people have already told me it's not worth even that, but I'm still curious.

Top Bottom