• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

jdstorm

Banned
This. That repair comment is causing mayhem - the octoroks remove rust but they do not repair weapons.

Except you can take a regular weapon and leave it in water to make it a rusty weapon. This resets the weapon degredation as part of the transformation. So being able to make that now repaired rusty weapon unrusty lets you repair any metal weapon in the game.

Biske

I didn't realize you could roll god damn bananas.

One big disadvantage of having the HUD off.

Tried that god damn stealth section so many times before breaking down and looking for help. Then saw the guy roll the damn banana. Blew my mind.

Use Cryonsis to disintegrate ice cubes
made by Waterblight Ganon

Son of a bitch...

You can grab a boulder and knock over rusted Guardians and get materials under them.

You can also use Cryonis when there's a puddle under them, which is often.

Yeah I just recently learned after like 90 hours if you kill Blue Chu Chus with the associated element they will drop jellies of that element.

Another thing I learned more recently is that if you hold something like a Meteor, Fire Rod or Flame Arrow next to a block of ice it will melt it. Haven't tested flame swords, but I assume the same would apply. It's slow going, but it works if you don't want to waste your Rods or Fire Arrows.

I still find it easiest to use a torch and hold Y. Also, fire weapons can ignite fires (ex. campfires) with the fire clouds they generate, without actually touching them, meaning no durability loss.

Also, you can drop bombs while gliding- helped end a camp with that, and I felt like hot shit.

That's awesome, I have to try that. :)

I sure didn't. ZR after a bow is broken just makes Link shrug. I'll have to try this!

Oh, yeah, I found out last night that Lizalfos arms are boomerangs!

Wait, like, skeletal lizalfos arms? They come back at you? That's neat!

Saw a Lynel way far below. Slowly glided down to attack him from above. Dropped down for an heavy attack from above and to my surprise...

You can ride Lynels. (For a little bit.)

Holy crap. :D

The physics in this game are great, but a little wonky. You can exploit physics in a couple of shrines.

Off the top of my head, the swinging balls on chains can be wrapped around the beams that hang them using magnesis so you can completely bypass the goal of the swinging gauntlet of many balls.

The puzzles where the tilt controls a rolling ball through a maze get super easy if you're not in tablet mode - flip the controller over and you have a non-maze surface to roll the ball around with and flip it up where you need to go.

If you think any of these are "wonky" or "unintentional", you're doing the game's devs a huge disservice. Especially since:

-Another similar shrine later on tried the same tactic. When i flipped the maze this time it was full of spikes. I just laughed.

-Feeding your Horse Hasty Carrots gives them extra boost to use

Nice! Another one to try.

if you kneel in a hot springs like the ones that dot the volcanos, you'll heal some hearts

Oh, so you need to kneel...

When you're looking for a shrine nearby, it's usually a good idea to look up first. If the shrine is in open space, you'll see a group of birds flying around it.

Oh wow, that's going to be useful!

boxter432

You can one shot Wizzrobes they all have a weakness.

Fire arrow beats Ice Wizzrobe
Ice arrow beats Fire Wizzrobe

Im not sure of this but maybe Bomb arrow would take out the lightning one I haven't tried this one.

ice arrows plus regular arrow (to the frozen body) works really well. I think just that kills them. no more lightning storms from the sky from them.

You can ride Bears, deer, and other wild life.
I hear you can tame Wolves and dogs (and that you can pet them) but I haven't figured out how
Though I haven't tried wolves, you pull out a piece of meat and put it in front of them and they glow pink for a moment like when you soothe a horse. Then they like you enough to follow you and even point things out to you (or so the loading tips menu says. I've never had a dog point things out to me. Just follow me)

Edit: YOU COULD USE STASIS ON THE YIGA CLAN SECTION?! ARGH. I wish I had thought of that. That section was so frustrating for me. I should've used stasis

Except you can take a regular weapon and leave it in water to make it a rusty weapon. This resets the weapon degredation as part of the transformation. So being able to make that now repaired rusty weapon unrusty lets you repair any metal weapon in the game.

That's BRILLIANT.

Spinifex

Well, I'm going to try this ASAP.

If true, it sounds more like a bug than an intended feature -- I wonder if it keeps any related affixes, like Attack Up or Durability Up.

Stealth in the yiga section...lol just stasis people.

That and all of the Yiga guards die in one hit if it's a stealthstrike. The segment is painfully easy with a high level stealth potion or the Sheikah armor.

You can make a campfire instantly on Death Mountain by just dropping wood.

You can stack armor effects and cooking effects past three stages. I used a haste elixir at night while using upgraded Sheikah armor (with the night speed bonus) and I was running so fast the animation looked like a cartoon.

You can tell when the Lord of the Mountain is at Mount Satori if you see a glow at night (there are tons of Blupees there as well, and the mountain is always filled with crows or goats for meat).

If you open a chest other than from the front without pants on, then when Link kicks it he grabs his foot and winces. The same happens if you're crouched down and open it, even if you have something on (he punches it).

Being in bushes or tall grass actually increases your stealth.

If you drop or throw your weapon (like a boomerang) and have lost it, then use the Sheikah Sensor+ to find it. You could also do the same if there's arrows everywhere. In case you missed it also when you got the Sheikah Sensor+, you can buy Compendium entries (it's random from selected categories, and each one costs 100 rupees) from Symin at the Hateno lab. You can also take photos of treasure chests and the different kinds of ore deposits to track them.

You can burn the leg guards off of Hinoxes to attack their legs more easily.

Frozen enemies will take increased damage.

You can destroy Guardian's legs to immobilize them or destroy the flying one's rotors to send them into the ground.

There are five types of monster disguises in the game; four are from Kilton (the Bokoblin, Moblin, Lizalfos, and Lynel masks, though Lynels will only be fooled temporarily) and the other is from the secret club in Gerudo Town, which at night will glow in the dark and act as a lure for more Stal enemies to spawn, and if you have all three it will disguise you from them. It also increases your bone weapon damage.

Traveling merchants sell better stuff on rainy days.

verbatimo

That and all of the Yiga guards die in one hit if it's a stealthstrike. The segment is painfully easy with a high level stealth potion or the Sheikah armor.

What?! I didn't know that you can kill the guards. I just avoided them or threw bananas. No wonder the last section took me few tries... :|

Zalman

Eventide Island spoilers:
Before you step on land and trigger the trial, you can drop a weapon. That weapon will still be there for you to pick up and use when they take all your items away from you.

Not quite what the OP is describing but I had never seen what an ancient arrow does because Nintendo never showed us and I never saw a spoiler for it. Then I fought a Lynel and decided to try one out. I said wow.
Heh, I thought the same thing when I forced my way into Hyrule Castle after leaving the plateau. I was getting ruined constantly by the mini boss and figured why not see what those arrows I had found in the castle did.

I did not see that coming AT ALL! lmao

1upsuper

First time I saw those mini Talus there were Lizalfos nearby and they grabbed the Talus and threw them at me lol.
lmao. That's gold
flint

I'm proud that I found a lot of these on my own but I've also learned some great stuff from this thread too. This game is absolutely incredible. One of my all time favorites. Totally unexpected too.

I didn't even use any stealth potion or gear in the Yiga section.

First guard, wait till he passed by, glided to the rock middle. Climbed up. Let him walk around. Glided to the left of the door guard, stasis'd him, walked in.

Take ladder to banana room just to take the bananas for myself. Go back to the opening on the balcony, glide to boxes in front of door guard, stasis him, then run inside.

Only took me two tries cause of accidentally climbing things i didn't want to climb and didn't beat my stasis timer.

Hell even going into the Yiga area I was on the top of the cliffs the whole time. Whole segment was dirt easy

Keratay

Neo Member
Wow, I wish I knew this when I was looking for all those Memories.

The painter dude you (probably) first meet at Kakariko village will also be at the stable nearest to those locations, and point you towards them. Though I don't think there's one for the hyrule castle location.

Cloukyo

Banned
I had no food or elixirs for the cold weather, so I equipped my Fire Rod thinking "this won't work, but eh..."

It worked, just holding raised my body heat

You can do that by holding the flame sword too :)

If there's an ice block near you you can melt it by literally just standing next to it if you have any flame weapon equipped.

you can reflect guardian's laser to them with the parry!

I remember trying this because I saw it in the trailer. The timing isn't very hard so it actually makes them very easy to beat. Same with the major test of strength enemies

Cloukyo

Banned
I didn't know your horse could die...

;_;

There's a fairy that can bring it back to life

You can reflect any projectile this way. It just isn't worth doing for most things, but I think your shield takes no damage if you do it (and if you do it to rocks and stuff, you'll send them flying straight back at whomever threw them at you, faster than you would if you just block it).

It also knocks enemies over if you use it to parry melee attacks, but it's better to side-step and use a flurry counter.

Yeah, kills octorocks instantly

I'm surprised people are making a big deal out of the shield parry. They show it being done in the trailer.

dl77

And <== to change arrow type with bow in hand.

blackadder_ZOMG.gif

Thank you!! Switching arrows has been a constant pain for me!

Campfire tricks:

Start a campfire to make the wind go up. User your glider to shoot in the sky. Good for supprise attacks.

When it rains and you dont want to wait find a dry spot. Start a campfire and just choose wait to skip the rain.

Cloukyo

Banned
I didn't even use any stealth potion or gear in the Yiga section.

First guard, wait till he passed by, glided to the rock middle. Climbed up. Let him walk around. Glided to the left of the door guard, stasis'd him, walked in.

Take ladder to banana room just to take the bananas for myself. Go back to the opening on the balcony, glide to boxes in front of door guard, stasis him, then run inside.

Only took me two tries cause of accidentally climbing things i didn't want to climb and didn't beat my stasis timer.

Hell even going into the Yiga area I was on the top of the cliffs the whole time. Whole segment was dirt easy

I did the yiga section by luring them all with bananas. Very mgs-esque that section

Don't want to read this thread for now but I can't tell how much I agree with thread's title.
So many "omg", "wtf", "this is so cool" moments in this game !

Subscribed for later :p

correojon

• When you see a Korok circle of stones where one is missing walk to the center of the circle, then start walking towards the gap in the circle where the rock is missing. You´ll always find the rock a few steps ahead.
  • You can feed bombs to Octorocks, then detonate them to easily kill them.
  • The stealth attack will OHKO almost all enemies in the game (haven´t found any who survived) WITH ANY WEAPON. I killed a bunch of Yiga Blademasters this way using a not lit torch.
  • If you shoot an arrow to a Lynel´s eye you will stun it. Run to his back and press A to mount it, then spam Y to get some free attacks.
  • All mountable animals (including Lynels) can be easily mounted if you glide on top of them.
  • Feed 3 times any dog at a stable to make it guide you to a buried chest. Can´t say it works with all dogs, but so far it´s worked with every dog I´ve tried.
  • Hinox will start covering their eye when you shoot it twice. try jumping and gliding from anywhere (even a small rock, box, or whatever) and shoot mid-air to trigger slow motion, this will allow you to hit it in the eye before it has time to defend itself.
  • All Shrines have at least 1 secret treasure chest. Once you beat a Shrine an icon next to it´s name will indicate if it has any chests left. Note that if you open a chest but don´t take it´s content (because you have a full inventory) the chest will not register as opened, the map will show it accordingly and you can go back and get the contents later. Edit: As Kain-Nosgoth pointed out below it´s actually the opposite: The Shrine will only show the chest icon when you find and get the contents of all chests inside the Shrine.

• All Shrines have at least 1 secret treasure chest. Once you beat a Shrine an icon next to it´s name will indicate if it has any chests left. Note that if you open a chest but don´t take it´s content (because you have a full inventory) the chest will not register as opened, the map will show it accordingly and you can go back and get the contents later.

it's actually the opposite! You will get a chest icon next to the shrine's name only when you found all chest in it!

Brakke

Banned
Is there anything to the bird flocks? Like the ones in formation. I've only seen a couple and always when I was busy, but they do sometimes make enormous arrows in the sky. I'm definitely going to follow the next one I see.

Emouse

If you headshot a Lynel, or use Urbosa's fury you can mount it whilst it's stunned and attack it for a short period before it kicks you off

Cepheus

Subbing for future reference later. Funnily enough, I didn't know that guardian shields could reflect their beams until I had already wasted all my best weapons on fighting them, despite the fact that I had two guardian shields in my inventory.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, setting stuff on fire and then throwing food into the fire cooks it.

Mashing

In the "Cannon" shrine (don't remember the exact name) you can use bomb arrows instead of the cannon itself.

Yeah Jintor, using stasis on mounted enemies is some funny shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
  • Hinox will start covering their eye when you shoot it twice. try jumping and gliding from anywhere (even a small rock, box, or whatever) and shoot mid-air to trigger slow motion, this will allow you to hit it in the eye before it has time to defend itself.

You can also just stasis him and shoot his eye.

Is there anything to the bird flocks? Like the ones in formation. I've only seen a couple and always when I was busy, but they do sometimes make enormous arrows in the sky. I'm definitely going to follow the next one I see.

Another post in the thread mentioned flocks being above shrines in the open but I haven't actually confirmed that. Really cool if true though.

Top Bottom