• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Co-Founder and Rift Creator Palmer Luckey Departs Facebook

Ah so it's just a coincidence that he has the "No Step on Snek" flag as an avatar and is a professed Libertarian which generally hold the view that people shouldnt be mandated to pay taxes of any kind. Gotcha

The gadsden flag also has historical significance to the American Revolution and was a powerful symbol against tyranny. Most libertarians also don't believe in 'no taxes of any kind' and recognize the necessity of Government. Don't let facts stand in your way though friend. Keep on hating.

jrush64

Banned
You guys really like to talk about this Colin guy much. I don't know or follow anything about him, but from what I've seen on GAF and his twitter account, he just seems like a straight up asshole.

You dont think those exact issues still dont apply?

'Our founder doesn't believe in honoring NDAs and will open up this new company to litigation, and this time wont have an army of lawyers from a multi-billion dollar company'

I imagine the people in it for the pay or who are passionate about what they're making won't care, assuming they have any awareness of the lawsuit at all. Doubtless he has plenty of people who're sympathetic to his political stances that are also keen to work with him also - it's not like he and Peter Thiel are especially unique in their views.

oti

Banned
colin1.png

https://twitter.com/notaxation/status/847553186005000192

Here's a question I have. Seeing how those kind of people are ousted one by one, will they actually disappear for good or will we, for one reason or another, drag them again and again back into our field of view to either prove a point, or "mock them"? What good does it do to oust them to just let them back into the conversation by other means?

LiK

You guys really like to talk about this Colin guy much. I don't know or follow anything about him, but from what I've seen on GAF and his twitter account, he just seems like a straight up asshole.

He's blossomed into quite a special snowflake. One of the few people I once respected and now abhor.

I swear, libertarians are batshit. We live in a society, we pay taxes to have nice things, we all use them (schools, roads, emergency services, welfare, veterans affairs and services etc etc) and if you don't want to be a part of this and contribute to the greater good then just shut up and go live in the mountains off the land, by yourself. Build your own televisions and computers and cars and just honestly, fuck off. Libertarianism is utterly indefensible as a political philosophy.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Theangrypirate is right, Colin was on JRE last week and talks about his twitter pic \ handle here:
https://youtu.be/UcONcwP93Lw?t=455

Ah, excellent, thank you. I figured the best way to actually get to the bottom of things would be finding an example of his own words, and I'm okay with being wrong - though you can easily see how one might, considering his party affiliation.

A trait that a good chunk of his defenders share with him, unfortunately.

Fisty

The gadsden flag also has historical significance to the American Revolution and was a powerful symbol against tyranny. Most libertarians also don't believe in 'no taxes of any kind' and recognize the necessity of Government. Don't let facts stand in your way though friend. Keep on hating.

And if it was anyone else, I might give him the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, I'm not going to waste space in yet another thread arguing with you about Colin.

meanspartan

I swear, libertarians are batshit. We live in a society, we pay taxes to have nice things, we all use them (schools, roads, emergency services, welfare, veterans affairs and services etc etc) and if you don't want to be a part of this and contribute to the greater good then just shut up and go live in the mountains off the land, by yourself. Build your own televisions and computers and cars and just honestly, fuck off. Libertarianism is utterly indefensible as a political philosophy.

Colin aside, this thread reveals how little people know about libertarianism. Saying libertarians oppose all taxation is the same logic as saying ISIS represents all Muslims (of course the latter example is an extreme one).

The reality is that exceedingly few libertarians want taxation totally abolished, and such a belief isn't even all that libertarian, more anarcho-capitalist.

For the record, I don't agree with libertarians, they are wrong on a lot, but let's not misrepresent them.

Colin aside, this thread reveals how little people know about libertarianism. Saying libertarians oppose all taxation is the same logic as saying ISIS represents all Muslims (of course the latter example is an extreme one).

The reality is that exceedingly few libertarians want taxation totally abolished, and such a belief isn't even all that libertarian, more anarcho-capitalist.

For the record, I don't agree with libertarians, they are wrong on a lot, but let's not misrepresent them.

This is from the mouths of every libertarian I've ever known indirectly or non. We can argue semantics but i damn well wager most libertarians don't even know what they "believe".

Lmao please. Some people like to pretend certain matters don't affect them for preserve an outer image. Saying he has money is a pathetic sidestep to try and alleviate the actual issue: Palmer is getting kicked out of the company he created, which held his first notable invention which he seemed incredibly enthusiastic about. Don't lie to yourselves. You know thats got to hurt, perhaps even more when one realises how downhill Oculus has gone since its conception.

He's rich sure, but he's human.

Codeblue

Haha oh Colin...

Can you blame the guy for wanting to troll a bit? People on Gaf and elsewhere were celebrating his "downfall" and mere weeks later his Patreon is at over $40k a month.

No one cares how much he makes. That totally missed the point of why people are happy he got axed. It's not surprising that he doesn't get it either.

Spaghetti

"He has money, therefore your criticism doesn't matter."

Do you realize how sociopathic that sounds?
Colin Moriarty is an Objectivist; which I *would* say is kinda like sociopathy as a political platform, but Republicans seem to have cornered the market there.

We're all just jealous of his high powered finances and magical memes.

How childish is it to bring up someone's net worth as a reason somebody should be beyond reproach.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We're all just jealous of his high powered finances and magical memes.

How childish is it to bring up someone's net worth as a reason somebody should be beyond reproach.
The mentality this shows is beyond laughable. And I laugh in the face of anyone who supports this privileged asshole.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Hopefully him and his ilk are never able to get a job in the industry again. The alt-right and Drumpt supporters can not be allowed to espouse their hate speech.

120v

i had guessed after the alt-right 'scandal' or whatever you want to call it FB would quietly push him away months later. glad that's the case, i don't want VR's future contingent on that bullshit

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true

So because he's so privileged you're not allowed to even report his hate speech?

This is literally fascism. Don't criticize the whites, they're better than you.

Fuck. That.

edit: nice twitter handle too. No taxation has long been a coded whites-only term to express anti-welfare which disproportionately impacts PoC. Can't make this shit up. Drumpt seriously emboldened these assholes.

gafneo

Banned
Eat shit Palmer you racist fuck.
Ug, people and their hate over lies they read online. Know the whole story by living their life before you judge character. People are put in predicaments all the time. You think having tons of money doesn't come with set ups and blood suckers?

It's progress, but they let Luckey rock at Facebook way too long past the point where we knew what was up for this to reverse my thoughts on buying an Oculus product.

Those thoughts are: Never gonna happen

Jebusman

Banned
You saying that is promoting just as much hate so why not forgive?

Serious question before we continue, are all of your posts serious?

"Turn the other cheek" or any variation of an idiom of trying to be the "better" person or to forgive and forget only works in scenarios where both parties are working in good faith.

It does not work when one side is actively expecting you to be the tolerant side, and are working to take advantage of it. They know and understand that the "Tolerant Left" will try their best to forgive, while they keep pushing and pushing on how much they can get away with, until it reaches a point where you actively can't stop them even if you wanted to.

So no, forgiveness involves him doing something to actually warrant it. A genuine show of good faith. And so far I've seen nothing of the sort from him.

mario_O

He was really just a figurehead, a PR guy. And they've been hiding him all this time. It made no sense for Facebook to keep him there. He can now go and spend that fortune funding idiots on the internet, maybe join Moriarty.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You saying that is promoting just as much hate so why not forgive?
Your energy is best spent educating the very racists you are trying to forgive instead. Raise awareness instead of forgive. Educate and elevate as a whole. We don't just forgive because poor racists have feelings too.

Hesh

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that he'll fail upwards but I guess at least Oculus products will gradually wash off his stink the longer he's gone from the company.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you "Some Of The People."

I wonder what the venn diagram is of people who display the gadsden flag and people who criticize any protest that ends up disturbing the peace in some capacity.

Tagyhag

It's progress, but they let Luckey rock at Facebook way too long past the point where we knew what was up for this to reverse my thoughts on buying an Oculus product.

Those thoughts are: Never gonna happen

To be fair, they probably let him go as soon as his contract finished, and it would have costed them millions and millions to let him go early or they just couldn't at all. It all depends on the contract.

That said, they weren't contractually obliged to defend him which they FULLY DID, and I'd remind those that think Oculus is morally good now to remember that.

Top Bottom