• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you keep track of game progress

So After owning multiple consoles I cannot be the first one who bought a game for platform A and realised they had it for platform B. As a multi console owner or just gamer with allot of games I find it really hard to keep track of the games I have and them games I have finished.

The best would be a website where I can set up all my games (or link your accounts) and then see progress about them. But I dont think they exist. An example would be when bought Fallout 4 for the PS4 and it arrived. I found another copy laying around from when I bought the PS4. Or when you are trying to decide which game you wanna play it would help to have some kind of list.

Or maybe just spend a day and put it all in an Excel sheet?

I used Backloggery for a time. Until the chore of updating it bit into me playing games.

In all honesty, between my 3DS, Wii U and PS4's library feature, I at least keep track of games from recent gens.

eefara

I personally use Backloggery.com, and I'm very satisfied with it. You have to enter everything by hand (so there's no way to import Steam games, for example), but you get great customization options for your profile. There's a basic network in place to friend people so that you can see what they're playing as well. Backloggery also has a fortune cookie option for the times you want to play something but don't know what; you can set conditions (haven't beaten it and is on the PS4) and a random game will be spit out.

Here's my profile as an example.

ViolentP

It's easy when you primarily purchase games on a single platform and use the other solely for exclusives.

It's easy when you primarily purchase games on a single platform and use the other solely for exclusives.
Jeah but sales though :p

Backloggery seems okay but having to put in everything manually... that is gonna take some time

Howlongtobeat seems good too, can that one have links to your psn etc?

Jimm

I don't feel shame in my finishing everything. Even games I love. I play until I feel like I've had enough then shelve it maybe for later. I have a seperate shelf for games I'm playing or haven't played yet though.
How long to beat is a great website though for estimates

Z..

This thread is a bit ridiculous, I'm sorry. Is this what having a disposable income does to you? Oo

Have a preetty decent collection that's been accumulating for about 20 years across 6 different generations and this has never even come close to happening.

eefara

Backloggery seems okay but having to put in everything manually... that is gonna take some time

Nope; I don't think any service hooks up to PSN or your Microsoft account or whatever. For Backloggery, you can put as little or as much detail in the game entry as possible. So you could sit and type out "Fallout 4 Ultra Special Collector's Edition" or just "fallout 4" or whatever works for you.

This thread is a bit ridiculous, I'm sorry. Is this what having a disposable income does to you? Oo

Have a preetty decent collection that's been accumulating for about 20 years across 6 different generations and this has never even come close to happening.

Maybe you are just a better organizer :) My income isn't all that great I'm just a student etc. I really find it hard to keep track of everything, all the consoles and not even saying all the different PC download platforms. It is hard for me, TV shows also but that has Next-Episode as an app on my phone which you also enter manually the first time but really helps with release dates and episodes you need to watch.

Seems Backloggery is the go to for most people, but howlongtobeat seems better to the eye hehe..

I do know this is some of a luxery problem I think you cannot escape having to have a few free hours to fill in everything once.

Buzzi

Backloggery, although I started using it 5 years ago and since I wanted to track also the real number of acquired/beaten games I use Gamefaq too. I'll probably switch to BL only if ever the promised update with xml export arrives...

gaiages

Banned

You can import your Steam collection on HLTB, but not the others.

I use Backloggery personally, even if the initial set up might take a while. Some games aren't really on HLTB, and on Backloggery I can literally type anything and add it to my collection.

Congrats on your photographic memory?

I use Backloggery and found that it's really handy after you have set it up, and it helps to encourage you to play through stuff you own. Plus it has a randomizer feature that you can use to choose the next game you want to play which is handy for getting past the "I don't know what I want to play next".

That said there is an import script written by someone if you want to use it (google Backloggery Steam Import) but I've never tried it.

-MD-

I uh... use my memory...

Wasn't aware people kept spreadsheets to keep track of what games they purchase and started playing.

Will setup Backloggery in the following days ( add that to the backlog of things I must do.. ) Think just like that TV Show app when you have finished setting it up it will make everything easier. Thanks for the responses!

Not at all. Needing a tool to help you do so is clearly indicative of excess, though.

I must admit I have a lot of games spread over a lot of consoles. What can I say I am a gamer and while I know I will never finish everything I have, buying something on sale isn't a crime.

Like a few weeks back there was that Final Fantasy 15 pricing error. Wouldn't have bought it but for 15 euro? And then you have the Square Enix Spring bundle. I like games :) Some take a lot of there money and spent it on alcohol or something and I do this which gave me a nice collection of (good) games

Z..

Maybe you are just a better organizer :) My income isn't all that great I'm just a student etc. I really find it hard to keep track of everything, all the consoles and not even saying all the different PC download platforms. It is hard for me, TV shows also but that has Next-Episode as an app on my phone which you also enter manually the first time but really helps with release dates and episodes you need to watch.

I'm especially surprised at this being a thing if your income isn't all that great, tbqh. I mean, I get it, but I'm still not sure I understand it.

Congrats on your photographic memory?

I have a pretty piss poor memory and am known for it. Games are a luxury and not cheap, though. If you're forgetting something like this it obviously means you have unhealthy spending habits. Excessive consumption can't be this normalized, can it?

I must admit I have a lot of games spread over a lot of consoles. What can I say I am a gamer and while I know I will never finish everything I have, buying something on sale isn't a crime.

Like a few weeks back there was that Final Fantasy 15 pricing error. Wouldn't have bought it but for 15 euro? And then you have the Square Enix Spring bundle. I like games :) Some take a lot of there money and spent it on alcohol or something and I do this which gave me a nice collection of (good) games

Believe me, I totally get it as I am the same. Can't resist a good sale if I have the cash to indulge. All it means is we'll have a pretty decent retirement, if we ever reach it... I just can't indetify with the part where forgetting about them is commonplace. Judging from the other replies it would seem that I'm the weird one, though...

Tohsaka

I only play one game at a time, so I don't really need to remember where I left off or anything. I just have my collection on GameFAQs since I started adding stuff years ago. There are likely better options, but I can't be bothered since it's just for my own use anyway.

gaiages

Banned
I'm especially surprised at this being a thing if your income isn't all that great, tbqh. I mean, I get it, but I'm still not sure I understand it.

I have a pretty piss poor memory and am known for it. Games are a luxury and not cheap, though. If you're forgetting something like this it obviously means you have unhealthy spending habits. Excessive consumption can't be this normalized, can it?

Believe me, I also have a terrible memory and my own collection is small enough to remember if I've bought a game or not, but I really just don't see the issue with wanting a log if you want a log? People do it with movies and TV shows they want to watch, anime, books... pretty much any other form of entertainment. You make it sound like anyone that wants an easy to access list are just throwing thousands of dollars away or something.

I use Backloggery because I'm a numbers nerd and making progress with my backlog, not because I need to know if I've already bought Shovel Knight or whatever. My boyfriend uses no such thing for any reason. So, different strokes for different folks?

I built my own webapp many years ago to do all this, after deciding a Google Docs spreadsheet wasn't good enough. It tracks both what I've played/how long I've played/when I played a game and what I've bought/how much I've spent.

I've learned a ton about web development since then and want to rebuild it one day, but now that it's also my job it's hard to justify using my leisure time to do the same thing I do at work every day. I still think about it, though!

SigSig

For all (future) backloggery users:
Tor's Backloggery script is kinda neat!
It adds all kinds of additional info:
chromescreenshot.png

Chrome%2520screenshot%25203.png

It works by adding specific elements to the progress note:
newscreen2.png
becomes
newscreen4.png

Userscript: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1730-tor-s-backloggery-enhancements
Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tors-backloggery-enhancem/bnphjpgoelijapfpilanaikifnekcmfc

Believe me, I totally get it as I am the same. Can't resist a good sale if I have the cash to indulge. All it means is we'll have a pretty decent retirement, if we ever reach it... I just can't indetify with the part where forgetting about them is commonplace. Judging from the other replies it would seem that I'm the weird one, though...
Jeah it isn't that I forget every game I have all the time but... I am quite the chaotic type so keeping track of stuff ( TV shows, my fitness ) keeps some sort of feeling you are in control or something?

Still weird that nobody ever attempted to build something which you can connect the mayor accounts to etc. The Android app is tempting btw as my fitness and TV tracking apps also are on that device. Can't go without them

My Game Collection app.
It can import your PSN games if they're on your trophy list. Same for Xbox but with achievements.
It can even port your steam profile and pull games from that!

gaiages

Banned
Jeah it isn't that I forget every game I have all the time but... I am quite the chaotic type so keeping track of stuff ( TV shows, my fitness ) keeps some sort of feeling you are in control or something?

Still weird that nobody ever attempted to build something which you can connect the mayor accounts to etc. The Android app is tempting btw as my fitness and TV tracking apps also are on that device. Can't go without them

I remember trying to use Raptr to link all my gaming accounts in the past like you're describing, because they advertised that... but it just never worked right. Now I don't even know what/if Raptr is still around. I imagine it's harder to pull that information from the consoles than it seems. I'm definitely no programmer, though.

My Game Collection app.
It can import your PSN games if they're on your trophy list. Same for Xbox but with achievements.
It can even port your steam profile and pull games from that!

Whut :eek: I downloaded the app but can't find that?

Edit: @gaiages jeah it would be hard to program I think. Not even sure Microsoft or Sony or Steam for example would allow that information to be pulled? It just seems like something that has to be out there already, hope that app works!

The occasions that I buy a multiplatform game on console are so rare that I don't have trouble remembering it. As for tracking progress, it's not a thing I really formalize. I know whether or not I've beaten a game and I don't, like, plan out my backlog or anything.

Whut :eek: I downloaded the app but can't find that?

Edit: @gaiages jeah it would be hard to program I think. Not even sure Microsoft or Sony or Steam for example would allow that information to be pulled? It just seems like something that has to be out there already, hope that app works!
When you add games, click import. It shows the whole list of what it can grab.
It can even pull from what you've entered into backloggery

I personally use Backloggery.com, and I'm very satisfied with it. You have to enter everything by hand (so there's no way to import Steam games, for example), but you get great customization options for your profile. There's a basic network in place to friend people so that you can see what they're playing as well. Backloggery also has a fortune cookie option for the times you want to play something but don't know what; you can set conditions (haven't beaten it and is on the PS4) and a random game will be spit out.

Here's my profile as an example.

Wow - your completion stats are incredibly impressive :D. How did you get the "Notes and Goals" section to show up? It seems like a really handy section...

IcyStorm

Wow - your completion stats are incredibly impressive :D. How did you get the "Notes and Goals" section to show up? It seems like a really handy section...

It's just the Page Note section that you can make into whatever you want. It's in the "Page Options" section of the options.

Shifty

I look at the game and ask myself "have I played this?"

If I'm not sure I might watch some footage on YouTube just to make sure.

In large open world games I tend to leave in-game notes such as facing the direction I want to go next, highlighting the quest I want to do next, save at the beginning of the next location and maybe even name the save files to something I need to do.

Bakkus

I have remarkably good memory. I can remember what last happened of note in a game i stopped playing 5+ years ago. Backloggery is outdated in it's design and a mess to control properly so I stopped using it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If you forgot you were playing a game then that's your cue to drop it.
I forget I played something like the next day. Games have to really get in and get out fast for me to be able to finish them these days.

gelf

If you're actually having a problem remembering what you've even played you could use metagamerscore. It's primarily an achievement tracking site but if you play any modern game with achievements it'll show up there. It accepts Steam, XBL and PSN accounts for tracking. Older games and Nintendo systems you'd still have to find a manual solution though.

Greddleok

I don't.

I basically play one game at a time, and when I'm done with it, if I forgot I played it, then cool, I'll just play it again.

Floody

By memory and keeping everything organized. Though I very rarely switch platforms, so I never even think about buying multiplat games more than once. My XB1 will pretty much never play something I can get on the PS4 and the same will apply to the Switch if I ever get 1. PC is different as when I upgrade it, I'll probably wanna check-out a few of my PS4 games in higher quality or with mods so wouldn't mind rebuying on that platform if the price is right.

RedColumn

I was looking for a while the one that fits the best for me. In the end I chose Darkadia.com.

Reasons for me was that is really simple, the design of the overview with all the covers in a shelf, the custom tags and the database (it take them from Giant Bomb DB)

Now it has a problem that on the search doesnt appear the images, but on your collection it does, but its not a huge issue for me really.

Top Bottom