• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice semi-confirmation of your rumours of 2GB, Ideaman.
The stream of words on display is engrossing and titilating, yet remains illuminating throughout. Reminiscent of this recommendable book of prose

obwzU.jpg

Is the WiiU is the most hyped low-powered gaming tech ever?
This thread is like a kick to the balls every time it is bumped and for the past week no one will let is go

back in the early Ultra 64 days we had hype online but most of the specs we read were wrong always above the target so the hype was for a hardware you knew would be a good step above what you now have at home.

These days we get very low tech numbers for Nintendo Hardware discussions and everyone still goes nuts with very few details. And I cannot help but feel a bit pissed off if I set up myself for some shabby console that will look dated a year after launch.

2x 360 meh.

So what I think we are doing it wrong in our spec hyping is focusing on comparing it to the Xbox 360.

How many times Wii is WiiU?

if your answer is 10x or 15x <---- those numbers look good enough and hype worthy :p

but 2x blah wake me up after E3

considering Nintendo likes to say they don't see other companies when designing hardware we really should focus on how many times Wii is WiiU because for Nintendo maybe it is a huge step ahead but for us logical people who will compare it with current generation HD consoles the step ahead is tiny.

AzaK

Great post... now, speak.
How much ram ?:p

You haven't been paying attention. 2GB confirmed. :p

Thanks Ideaman. We obviously would still love a mod verification but you also haven't been spouting insane 8GB rumors that would cause great emotional damage here if you turned out to be Kaz Hirai trolling us.

Is the WiiU is the most hyped low-powered gaming tech ever?.

2x 360 meh.

What Ideaman has said, IMO, is that when a game is running and rendering a different scene on the main screen and the sunscreen, that the quality looks subjectively like 2x360. This would equate to more than 2x if you dedicated that power to just one screen, or didn't render a full scene on the Subscreen.

StevieP

Banned
Wait.... what? LINK?!

Cuz if that's real, then perhaps the $6-8 profit thing is bullshit, cuz to price it at $200 would have meant a $42 loss per sale.

Please, to the internets with you, Hiltz, to search for proof that Nintendo wanted to make the Wii a loss-leader console!! This could really change the pricing talks we're having here if it proves that Nintendo is ready for loss-leading strategies.

If you're talking just hardware BOM, it may seem crazy to you. It's not just about CPU/GPU, btw. Wii used a lot of "fancy new tech" on top of their ancient CPU/GPU. It doesn't seem far-fetched to think Wii was making *Nintendo* $8/pop and retailers $10/pop. In fact it's quite likely.

I think it's obvious it's 1.5GB.

If it's faster memory, it'll be 1.5GB. If it's GDDR3 it'll probably be 2.

Is the WiiU is the most hyped low-powered gaming tech ever?
This thread is like a kick to the balls every time it is bumped and for the past week no one will let is go

back in the early Ultra 64 days we had hype online but most of the specs we read were wrong always above the target so the hype was for a hardware you knew would be a good step above what you now have at home.

These days we get very low tech numbers for Nintendo Hardware discussions and everyone still goes nuts with very few details. And I cannot help but feel a bit pissed off if I set up myself for some shabby console that will look dated a year after launch.

2x 360 meh.

So what I think is we are doing it wrong in our spec hyping is focusing on comparing it to the Xbox 360.

How many times Wii is WiiU?

if your answer is 10x or 15x <---- those numbers look good enough and hype worth :p

but 2x blah wake me up after E3

This is why these multiplier figures have to go away. Seriously.
How much of a leap are you expecting with Durango?

Thank you for the clarification, btw, IdeaMan.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It drives me crazy that people act like "2x 360" is something akin to the Atari 2600.

That's a sizable bump and will play the "stopgap" quite nicely.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even care anymore. I just want it to be May already - for more than one reason.
E3 is in June, but perhaps it's not that you are referring to. In May there's that Starlight Foundation thing I mentioned earlier. I just want it to be Sunday so the leaks can start.

guek

Banned
Rösti;35655797 said:
E3 is in June, but perhaps it's not that you are referring to. In May there's that Starlight Foundation thing I mentioned earlier. I just want it to be Sunday so the leaks can start.

Yeah I know, but school ends for me in May and then I can finally play video games again. Plus May is really close to June :-D

AzaK

Yeah I know, but school ends for me in May and then I can finally play video games again. Plus May is really close to June :-D

You realize that that means you wil have a month where you have even easier access to the madness here? Will you survive?

It drives me crazy that people act like "2x 360" is something akin to the Atari 2600.

That's a sizable bump and will play the "stopgap" quite nicely.

2x is not the real issue if the hardware bumps are too close together 3rd party ports will just all look the same regardless. So devs target the lowend to port to everyone only the first party titles will try harder to make the bump in generations noticeable

WiiU is a good stopgap if NextBox (Durango is it now?) is also 2x a bump from WiiU :p

What Ideaman has said, IMO, is that when a game is running and rendering a different scene on the main screen and the sunscreen, that the quality looks subjectively like 2x360. This would equate to more than 2x if you dedicated that power to just one screen, or didn't render a full scene on the Subscreen.

I always thought streaming as just sending the same image that would go to one screen to two. I never thought about the hardware having to process two versions of the same data, if it is explained like 3DS on 3D setting having to do twice the work to display the game in 3D maybe? Is that what is being said here that the hardware has to work twice as hard to display on both HD TV and uPad screen? Is this why we have uPad streaming limited to 1 controller at E3 when 4 would have been mind-blowing for sports and local multi play?

with super bullshots?

yes I think that would be right... devs can show WiiU pics without telling us what platform they are if its a muliplatform game anyway so we may think bullshots but maybe they are showing WiiU we will never know and those leaks were not official released pics so even a better chance

Darksiders 2 pics as well

ozfunghi

I always thought streaming as just sending the same image that would go to one screen to two. I never thought about the hardware having to process two versions of the same data, if it is explained like 3DS on 3D setting having to do twice the work to display the game in 3D maybe? Is that what is being said here that the hardware has to work twice as hard to display on both HD TV and uPad screen? Is this why we have uPad streaming limited to 1 controller at E3 when 4 would have been mind-blowing for sports and local multi play?

If the image on the controller is a different image than on the TV (cfr rearview in a racing game, godview in a RTS, FP view in a 3rd person shooter...) it will obviously need more resources than when it is just a copy of the same image as shown on the TV.

WALL OF TEXT

Please if you could just edit your quotes to not have my message 3 or 4 times, it's already enough unpleasant to take a lot of space with mainly (except the bottom part) not very interesting justification.

And thanks for your time reading this thing :)

I liked both these posts. IdeaMan, keep in mind that although we try to be highly skeptical (while simultaneously living on a diet of unrealistic hype), GAF as a general entity seems to like you. If it didn't, you would already be on fire.

You haven't been paying attention. 2GB confirmed. :p

I keep hearing references to "eDRAM". From now on, especially since my brand new server's name is Euler, I will assume this is a secret hint which means that the Wii U will have 2.718GB DRAM.

Thanks Ideaman. We obviously would still love a mod verification but you also haven't been spouting insane 8GB rumors that would cause great emotional damage here if you turned out to be Kaz Hirai trolling us.

IdeaMan turning out to be Kaz would honestly be the best possible outcome of this scenario. Even better than if he was secretly Reggie.
Reggie is Arkham, Iwata is lherre, fits their "gotcha"-style M.O.s in my mind

HylianTom

Banned
2x (or whatever B.S. metric we'd call it) would be more than fine in my book. At this point, I've reached a place where I care less about power and more about the artistic style chosen by each game's designers.

If I can't see the nits on each of the 1000 bokoblins' asshairs all on-screen at the same time, whilst those bokoblins are plotting some insane-"nextgen"-AI strategy against me, I won't be heartbroken.

By far, the main context in which I would be concerned with power is third-party ports, but there's a huge conspiracist within me that refrains:
"Nintendo can go all-out with power and features, and many of those third-party.. {Snesfreak Rule - censored}.. "folks".. will still skip the platform. They'll invent paper-thin bullshit reasons to do so, and their totally extreeeeeme Mountain Dew-flavored hardcorier-than-thou media goons will repeat it ad nauseam until those excuses are treated as fact."

So bring on the games! The power'll be enough.

TunaLover

A little off-topic but Jun Fukuda is not working in NMH3, I'm not sure if that means that the game is not in development yet or if he will not make the music for the game.
Will try to get more info out of him =P

EloquentM

aka Mannny
yes I think that would be right... devs can show WiiU pics without telling us what platform they are if its a muliplatform game anyway so we may think bullshots but maybe they are showing WiiU we will never know and those leaks were not official released pics so even a better chance

Darksiders 2 pics as well

Lol, I smiled then realized I was kidding myself and cried.

ozfunghi

Found on Gfaqs

RUMOR:The Wii U's specs to be revealed next week.

A insider posted on 2chan stating that Nintendo plans on revealing the specs.
He also said that the Wii U is 3 times more powerful than the 360. He would go on to say that there will be new tech demos showing off the Wii U's power.

I don't know what this 2chan is. Credibility close to 0 i would think, especially as the devkits don't seem to be finalized. But hey, maybe just for comedic purposes.

My friend lives in Japan and walks Miyamoto's dog. He's telling me Nintendo will reveal the specs of WiiU 2 days after E3 is over because during E3 they will fake everyone out by using PS1 dev kits. Once it's over, they'll be like, oh yeah, we were just kidding.

Azure J

Found on Gfaqs

I don't know what this 2chan is. Credibility close to 0 i would think, especially as the devkits don't seem to be finalized. But hey, maybe just for comedic purposes.

lawl

While I don't doubt the potential for getting some info next week thanks to GDC, no way are we going to know what's final hardware wise until near launch.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't see what's so preposterous about Nintendo releasing the spec sheet. When exactly did they do that for Gamecube? The reason they did not give details about Wii is that they wanted to make mainstream press reports comparing to the other two boxes not possble other than to say "doesn't run in HD".

StevieP

Banned
I don't see what's so preposterous about Nintendo releasing the spec sheet. When exactly did they do that for Gamecube? The reason they did not give details about Wii is that they wanted to make mainstream press reports comparing to the other two boxes not possble other than to say "doesn't run in HD".

They don't fudge their numbers (you know, the "theoretical" shit going around on the PS2 far FAR outweighed the real-world in-game numbers Nintendo gave out for the GC). To this day, there are still people that think the GC was the weakest of that generation. Even on this board. In the real world, the GC was much closer to the Xbox in strength than it was the PS2. Back in 2002? It was 'common knowledge' that it was the weakling lunchbox lol

This time we're dealing with a Nintendo that *knows* it's going to be releasing the weakest of the 3 next gen consoles. There will be no spec sheets. At least, not of the specific type. Look at the Wii, 3DS and even the current Wii U spec sheets for an indication of what they'll tell you.

AzaK

We really don't know for sure what was running when this 2x was perceived due to Ideaman's deliberate obsfucation. However he is strongly hinting (IMO) that that was what was happening. Devs were rendering different scenes (perspectives of the same scene, whatever) on the screens and so the Wii U was obviously doing more work than if it was just rendering to the main screen only, or mirroring the main screen to the subscreen.

Still either way it puts it in the 2x level, but that 2x is meant to be a "subjective" observation under the environment I mentioned. The console in raw specs is likely to be more than 2x I think in various places. (Ideaman hints as much, specifically with RAM)

To be fair, a large amount of accurate leaks have come from 2chan, even some which were laughed at earlier, and then started becoming true, lol. Mostly game related. But obviously anything from something that ends with chan should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think it has to do with the fact that games set during the American Revolution are extremely rare. The holy land and the Italy during the renaissance aren't super common either but they seem much more familiar. I'm super stoked.

I've wanted the Call of Duty franchise to move to other wars rather than WWII and modern settings...funnily enough I mentioned the American Revolution when I was discussing the Call of Duty franchise on another forum a matter of days before Assassin's Creed 3's details were announced.

The Call of Duty franchise has been stale for years and there are plenty of other wars that have been unexplored or underexplored. WWI, Korean War, Hundred Years War, wars involving the Greeks, Romans, Persians, Ancient Chinese, Romans, Saxons, Vikings...the list goes on and on. I'd even be happy to see a decent Vietnam War game and that's been pretty much done to death over the years.

Sorry, I've digressed a bit but wanted a quick rant lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom