• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

how is vaping supposed to help you cut back on smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamy

Banned
i picked up a vape in an attempt to cut back on smoking

i find myself smoking like 100x more now because i can smoke anywhere in my house. i'm pretty much hitting my vape all day while watching TV, browsing the internet, etc.

with cigs i at least had to walk outside to smoke so my house doesn't smell like shit. vaping makes it way too easy to smoke at any time

but if it has me smoking less cigs, then i guess it's a win...? right?

basically trying to figure out whether it's better to cut back on smoking cigs by vaping even if that means you will be vaping a lot more than you ever smoked cigs, if that makes sense

adamy

Banned
You're not smoking, you're vaping. It's down by 100%.

i'm actually still smoking cigs, just not as many

is vaping that much better for you that it's greatly preferable over smoking cigs even if it results in you vaping all day every day?

for a comparison, i was smoking about half a pack a day. now i vape all day.

Ovek

7Member7
Just replacing one addiction with another. The general idea is to break the addition cycle not replace it when quitting smoking.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
it doesn't. people are still vaping just as often as they do with smoking, except now they're sucking on what looks like a lightsaber hilt instead of a piece of paper and some dirt.

both just as dumb and probably as bad. its not conclusive, but I'm willing to bet any sort of inhalation of foreign agents into your body and blood stream is gunna be bad for you. just taking a wild stab in the dark with that one.

the act of and culture are dumb as shit.

is vaping that much better for you that it's greatly preferable over smoking cigs even if it results in you vaping all day every day?

Blunt answer is nobody knows. Until they've been mainstream enough for a long time to do large scale correlation studies between infections and vaping for years or decades, nobody is going to know.

However, it has been suggested that doing both doesn't really reduce your risk that much from carcinogens,
Another noted result is that current smokers who may be trying to reduce their risk of harm by switching between e-cigarettes and normal cigarettes may be saving money, but doing little for their health. "Combination users" still had very high levels of toxins and carcinogens
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02Febru...r-safer-than-smoking-says-landmark-study.aspx

Starting off you should start with a higher nic content juice, try 18mg if you are not already. If you are on 18mg try higher 24mg etc... I started on 18mg for a few weeks then to 12 and have been using 6mg for a long while. I tried 3mg but I was like you chain vaping all day and just seemed to be creating clouds and it was not satisfying. I have not touched a smoke in 3 years!

RangerX

Banned
I know people who tried to quit by picking up vaping and like you said because they can smoke it anywhere they've ended up even more addicted and are still smoking cigarettes.

Trouble

Banned
I've never known anyone who successfully quit smoking by vaping. They all just vape and smoke now.

I quit a decade ago with nicotine gum.

adamy

Banned
Starting off you should start with a higher nic content juice, try 18mg if you are not already. If you are on 18mg try higher 24mg etc... I started on 18mg for a few weeks then to 12 and have been using 6mg for a long while. I tried 3mg but I was like you chain vaping all day and just seemed to be creating clouds and it was not satisfying. I have not touched a smoke in 3 years!

yeah i have 6mg and it isn't doing shit

i'll pick up some higher nic % juice, thanks!

koji kabuto

What we know now is that vaping is not good for you but no way near how bad cigarettes is.
replacing evil with lesser evil etc..

Dreavus

I was under the impression that vaping was slightly better for you than smoking. It sounds like it's all still inconclusive though.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, just as much lung cancer only now it's non-portable. Huzzah.

That's bullshit though. No tar, 0.05 % nicotine (in most brands), and you don't even burn the flavour/shisha. You bake it. There's a lot of misinformation out there on the internet concerning shisha. Been having shisha for the longest time, and all my tests are fine.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I was under the impression that vaping was slightly better for you than smoking. It sounds like it's all still inconclusive though.

Chemicals in tobacco cigarette smoke

• Acetaldehyde: suspected carcinogen.
  • Acetone: irritant: can cause kidney and liver damage.
  • Acrolein: extremely toxic.
  • Acrylonitrile: suspected human carcinogen.
  • 1-aminonaphthalene: causes cancer.
  • 2-aminonaphthalene: causes bladder cancer.
  • Ammonia: raises blood pressure.
  • Benzene: carcinogen.
  • Benzo[a]pyrene: mutagenic and highly carcinogenic
  • 1,3-Butadiene: suspected carcinogen.
  • Butyraldehyde: damages the lining of nose and lungs.
  • Cadmium: a heavy metal and highly toxic
  • Carbon Monoxide: decreases heart and muscle function.
  • Catechol: causes respiratory tract irritation and dermatitis.
  • Chromium: heavy metal and carcinogen.
  • Cresol: causes upper respiratory, nasal and throat irritation.
  • Crotonaldehyde: thought to interfere with immune function.
  • Formaldehyde: carcinogen
  • Hydrogen Cyanide: lethal poison
  • Hydroquinone: affects central nervous system effects.
  • Isoprene: irritates skin,eyes and mucous membranes.
  • Lead: causes brain damage
  • Methyl Ethyl Ketone: depresses the central nervous system.
  • Nickel: causes bronchial asthma and is a known carcinogen.
  • Nicotine: increases in heart rate and blood pressure, addictive element
  • Nitric Oxide: linked to Huntington’s, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and asthma.
  • NNN, NNK, and NAT: known or possible carcinogens
  • Phenol: damages the the liver, kidneys; respiratory, cardiovascular and central nervous system.
  • Polonium - radioactive*
  • Propionaldehyde: skin, eye and respiratory system irritant
  • Pyridine: causes eye and upper respiratory tract irritation
  • Quinoline: causes genetic damage and is a possible carcinogen
  • Resorcinol: skin and eye irritant
  • Styrene: carcinogen
  • Toluene: linked to permanent brain damage.

What we know now is that vaping is not good for you but no way near how bad cigarettes is.
replacing evil with lesser evil etc..

How is vaping not good for you? I don't smoke but I'm wondering what the harmful effects are.
I know of several who "vape" and they all gave up smoking and reduced their nicotine intake to a fraction of what it used to be. The trick is certainly not to smoke at the same time. Do one or the other.

spootime

fQxqLYo.jpg

Why are people saying that its roughly the same as smoking? Inhaling tar and carcinogens seems to be a lot worse to me than inhaling vapor and whatever the vape juice is made out of (vegetable glycerin i think?)

Vestal

Gold Member
I was able to quit smoking cold turkey the day I picked up vaping.

3 years later I have noy touched a cig again, still vape down to a 3 nic level and my lungs feel better than they have in years. Feel a lot healthier as well.

I mean, you could stop vaping for like a minute to just Google about it. Seriously.

Vaping is easily better for you than cigarettes as the previous post listing all the chemicals in cigarettes will show.

The problem with vaping is that there just isn't too much knowledge about what inhaling pure nicotine and whatever else is in vape liquid actually does to a person over time.

But yeah, it's clearly the better option than cigarettes. And I have heard some studies and articles claiming people do tend to quit more easily with vaping as opposed to smoking.

It's possible there's an entourage effect with cigarettes that makes them harder to quit. There are just more chemicals that may interact in different ways with different people.

I just think there's a certain amount of disdain on display from those who find smoking disgusting but can not accept that vapping actually works in getting people off of cigarettes and is (probably) significantly harmless, unlike breathing in diesel fumes all day for example.

badblue

Yeah, just as much lung cancer only now it's non-portable. Huzzah.

Is shisha even inhaled? I always thought it was like cigars where you held the smoke in your mouth and tasted it before exhaling not inhaling it into your lungs like a cigarette.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Smell is a large part of how the addiction forms.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The people saying it is slightly better than cigarettes, what? It's like fractions lower. Most cancer from smoking comes from the combustion, tar, the ridiculous amount of harmful ingredients, and smoke. Vaping doesn't have any of those, so how is it only slightly better?

You guys also inhale more "foreign agents" than you think during the day.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Is shisha even inhaled? I always thought it was like cigars where you held the smoke in your mouth and tasted it before exhaling not inhaling it into your lungs like a cigarette.

It's not inhaled. I don't know anyone who inhales it, and shisha is pretty big here.

adamy

Banned
most the juice on VaporDNA is max 6mg and some are 12mg but not many

what are some good 18mg juices?

maybe I'm not searching right

I like menthol flavors and fruit is coo too I guess

It's not inhaled. I don't know anyone who inhales it, and shisha is pretty big here.

wtf? I and everyone I know inhales shisha

had no idea there are people who do not inhale shisha

Anecdotal, but half of the people I know that vape do so in an attempt to quit smoking.

All of them still smoke in addition to vaping.

Tagyhag

My coworker used them to help wean him off cigs and then he slowly stopped vaping.

That's exactly what my dad did.

Started with a high nicotine count to never touch cigs, then slowly used lower and lower nicotine amounts as the months passed by. Eventually he just quit everything altogether.

It probably helped that he didn't try any of the sweet flavors and only used the ones that taste like Marlboro Red, so by the time that he was on no nicotine, he wasn't vaping for just the flavor since that flavor was horrible lol.

As a smoker, the farthest I could run before crapping out was about 8 miles, tops.

As a vaper, I can run a half-marathon like it's nothing.

it doesn't. people are still vaping just as often as they do with smoking, except now they're sucking on what looks like a lightsaber hilt instead of a piece of paper and some dirt.

both just as dumb and probably as bad. its not conclusive, but I'm willing to bet any sort of inhalation of foreign agents into your body and blood stream is gunna be bad for you. just taking a wild stab in the dark with that one.

the act of and culture are dumb as shit.

Welp, better stop breathing then ;)

Ryaaan14

Banned
I vape all day and feel 10000x better than I did when I was a pack a day smoker. It's way healthier and not to mention more sanitary. All your possessions won't have a coat of tar on it and smell like shit.

This is anecdotal but also since u can vape anywhere anytime, it makes it easier to go without it because it doesn't have those rituals attached to it. When I would quit smoking, driving my car or taking a break at work became impossible, because that's when I'd have a smoke.

Cigarettes are bad because of cancer, disease, smell, littering, smoke, taste, etc. Despite society's meek protestations, nobody actually cares if you are addicted to a drug, so vaping is clearly better. Though it has given rise to vapers, which makes it a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom