• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western Digital just announced new 20TB raid storage system for your home

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Verge

Western Digital has announced a new 20TB version of its My Book Duo storage system, the highest capacity system it has ever made. The new RAID-optimized system features speeds up to 360 MB/s sequential reads, and comes with a USB-C port and two USB 3.0 ports.

At $849, it’s not exactly cheap, 

mbduo.0.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
hmmm.... depending on the price tag I may just go down this route for our backup, photos and video library.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Obviously if you can build your own NAS setup then go that route.

This seems to be an all in one enclosure for people who need the storage, but they might not be super tech savvy.

Kambing

This looks really damn good... don't think it can function as a NAS though? Just seems like a huge external drive?

Price is reasonable, but RAID-0 isn't.

Still, if you could change the RAID configuration to parity, just hook it up to the USB port of a router and you have an instant, albeit slower, alternative to a full-fledged NAS.

Meatfist

$850 is a great deal.

You're not going to build an NAS for less than that with 20TB.

Well yeah, but this isn't a NAS - it's a damn good price for 2 10TB drives and an enclosure, though.

Lol @ it being RAID 0 out of the box, those who are less than tech-savvy are going to be pissed if they find out they essentially have anti-redundancy unless they halve their usable space and turn on RAID 1

So I don't know much about Raid setups, but what happens when one (of the 2?) drives fails, like HDD's invariably do? I'd have to replace a whole 10tb drive within it? As well as having lost 10tb of data? Sounds like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket here.

Someone reassure me because I'd love a central location for all of my stored lifetime data up until now before any of the rickety drives they're on kick the bucket.

kmfdmpig

So I don't know much about Raid setups, but what happens when one (of the 2?) drives fails, like HDD's invariably do? I'd have to replace a whole 10tb drive within it? As well as having lost 10tb of data? Sounds like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket here.

Someone reassure me because I'd love a central location for all of my stored lifetime data up until now before any of the rickety drives they're on kick the bucket.

It's actually worse than that. Raid 0 is made to prioritize speed, not data integrity, so if one drive goes all the data on both drives is gone. Pretty dumb to have that as the default configuration for something that will be used primarily as a backup drive.

gruenel

That's why you always have backups of the important stuff.

linkboy

Here's the plan

Step 1 - Win the 7 million dollar Powerball

Step 2 - Buy a ton of these and never run out of storage space

Almighty

Depends. If you have it in the default RAID 0 you will lose everything. RAID 0 prioritizes speed and it does that by storing pieces of data across all the drives. That gives you the speed, but if one drive goes down then you lose everything.

The other option they give you is RAID 1 which mirrors the data across the drives. If one drive goes down you still have the data on the other drive and have lost nothing data wise. The downside is that your 20TBs of storage for example will become 10TB as it is just creating a copy of one drive on the other.

It's actually worse than that. Raid 0 is made to prioritize speed, not data integrity, so if one drive goes all the data on both drives is gone. Pretty dumb to have that as the default configuration for something that will be used primarily as a backup drive.

Depends. If you have it in the default RAID 0 you will lose everything. RAID 0 prioritizes speed and it does that by storing pieces of data across all the drives. That gives you the speed, but if one drive goes down then you lose everything.

The other option they give you is RAID 1 which mirrors the data across the drives. If one drive goes down you still have the data on the other drive and have lost nothing data wise. The downside is that your 20TBs of storage for example will become 10TB as it is just creating a copy of one drive on the other.
Thanks for the explanations. If you guys have any other recommendations that are more suited for mass reliable backup, please let me know.

3rdman

$850 is a great deal.

You're not going to build an NAS for less than that with 20TB.

Yes I agree...I built a 16TB for around the same. What limitation there may be with this model though would be how its used. I built mine for Plex and on-the-fly transcoding of HD files. If this can do the same, the price is FANTASTIC!

3rdman

Thanks for the explanations. If you guys have any other recommendations that are more suited for mass reliable backup, please let me know.

I assume Raid 5 is on option on this, isn't it? That would likely give you 16tb of storage space (another assumption: this is a 5-Drive system).

tuffy

I assume Raid 5 is on option on this, isn't it? That would likely give you 16tb of storage space (another assumption: this is a 5-Drive system).
Judging from the dimensions and the text on WD's site it's just 2, 10TB drives. So RAID-0 and 1 are the only options.

I thought RAID 5 was frowned upon more nowadays?

That's why you always have backups of the important stuff.

RAID isn't a backup, after all, correct? So if you have RAID 0 (which is admittedly nerve-wracking) but multiple redundancies, you're "okay"? I'm still pretty new to RAID and NAS and with CrashPlan pulling out, I'm freaking out.

tuffy

RAID isn't a backup, after all, correct? So if you have RAID 0 (which is admittedly nerve-wracking) but multiple redundancies, you're "okay"? I'm still pretty new to RAID and NAS and with CrashPlan pulling out, I'm freaking out.
RAID can save you if a drive dies (except for RAID-0) but it's not a backup. If some overly-excited puppy accidentally deletes your files, you'll still be hosed no matter what RAID level you're using. But if your backups are kept up-to-date, even losing the whole array won't be the end of the world.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Two drives? So 10TB with redundancy?

Didn’t realise drives were getting so big. It is expensive but also very simple.

gruenel

Absolutely right, a RAID isn't a backup. If we're talking RAID levels 1+, it only protects from drive failure, but not many other risks such as accidental deletion, viruses, power surges, etc. Obviously RAID 0 is even worse with regards to data safety.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a RAID of any kind to private users. It usually creates more problems than it solves. Just make backups of your stuff and you'll be fine.

FuturusX

Two drives? So 10TB with redundancy?

Didn’t realise drives were getting so big. It is expensive but also very simple.

I've been using 10TB drives for a while now as part of a RAID array mirroring project for a commercial NAS server for a while now.

I need bigger drives :)

Firemind

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a RAID of any kind to private users. It usually creates more problems than it solves. Just make backups of your stuff and you'll be fine.
Good to know...

Is there a program that checks your multiple drives for redundancy? How do you guys keep your backups up to date?

That much storage and no Ethernet port and NAS support? Come on, WD.

Wait, it's not a NAS? It's just an external HDD? Man, you could have just bought three 8TB WD Red drives for $480 a few days ago for 24TB of storage. Throw that into a built NAS, or even a pre-made one and you could do 16TB of usable space with the last 8TB drive for redundancy.

Mirado

Eh, if you really need to back up 20TBs worth of data, you better come up with something a bit more redundant than any two disk setup. Plus, in terms of price, you come out around the same by just buying the 10TB disks yourself; at $400 or so a pop, whatever hardware you buy to run it will be a small fraction of the cost if we're talking 6+ drives, and you can do all sorts of fun stuff like slap a 10 gigabit card in there for some NAS fun.

Olli128

Been meaning to get something like this for a while, would it be easy to connect to a network and stream files from it?

Edit: apparently not, nvm haha

Top Bottom