• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Anime Revivals

Gulz1992

If we're showing off Berserk, than here's my favorite example:
giphy.gif

SoulUnison

Banned
BLrF25N.gif

In case the comment wasn't sarcasm.

Everyone in the background is slowly sliding off to the right...

Crystal is still bad. It just improved from being awful, but S3 still stripped all the character out of Sailor Moon S.

Mistakenly trying to watch Crystal one afternoon was what made me realize that what made the 90s anime weirdly charming was the art shift, additional comedy, and the DiC dub that bordered on a gag-dub.
When I used to watch it as a kid I honestly thought the show was supposed to be a comedy making fun of Power Rangers tropes.

If we're showing off Berserk, than here's my favorite example:
giphy.gif

What am I missing? This actually seems...passable. Is it that the white-haired guy doesn't seem to have a nose?
Is it how the cinematography was a decent idea but makes it look like one guy's horse is growing and the other's shrinking?

Crystal is still bad. It just improved from being awful, but S3 still stripped all the character out of Sailor Moon S.

It depends how you see it. Crystal is supposed to be an adaption of the manga, not a reboot of the old Sailor Moon show.

Besides the character design, it is actually a good adaption of the manga.

Fj0823

Hey guys how about the Beyblade Revival?

They curse and show partial nudity, it's back and more dangerous than ever!!

No but seriously, New Beyblade is so much worse without the Bit Beasts to explain the stupid stuff like the kids controlling the tops movements

Paltheos

Here's one disaster that may have gone unremembered for this topic!

Tenchi OVA3

Evaluating the first two OVAs is hard for me because they're so integral to my childhood but there are a few things I can say about them. They're attractive, well-directed, and fun.

OVA3's just awful, and I can scarce think of any praise to give it. The art is a huge step-down from the beautiful, expressive designs of the '90s originals, the show is flat-as-a-pancake presented, and it's just... as unfun as imaginable. The classic characters aren't presented with much more pizazz beyond their basic character traits, and screentime is largely hogged by a bunch of obnoxious, new side-characters who don't bring anything to the table.
FFS, one of the new characters intentionally poses as Tenchi's dead mother, for a joke the audience is supposed to find bemusing, if not funny. Jesus, man, even if this weren't bad enough, OVA2 had an episode whose emotional centerpiece was Tenchi's longing love for his departed mother. What were they thinking?

Edit:
It depends how you see it. Crystal is supposed to be an adaption of the manga, not a reboot of the old Sailor Moon show.

Besides the character design, it is actually a good adaption of the manga.

Crystal opened my eyes to the truth. I think Sailor Moon was never really good, not until the original TV adaptation that added all that character to the scouts. Yes, the filler is what made Sailor Moon.

AO just doesn't exist to me. Just like the second half of Usagi Drop. Doesn't exist. Never happen. The original is just its own thing.

Gulz1992

What am I missing? This actually seems...passable. Is it that the white-haired guy doesn't seem to have a nose?
Is it how the cinematography was a decent idea but makes it look like one guy's growing and the other's shrinking?

Everything about it is absurd. The extreme zoom for no reason, all keyframes stopping on the same frame, Griffith (the white-haired guy) looks like he's floating on the horse, Griffith's face has no texture detail, and his cape has no animation. It literally looks like a bad PS1 fmv.

Best:

Evangelion:

Say what you want about 3.0 but the Rebuild of Evangelion is also a massive success compared to many attempts to revive similar franchises

Each movie was a succes and people still debate trying to make sense of Anno's fuckery and middle fingers throughout each movie

2.0 might be one of the series highest points IMHO, and
I love that the movie builds up Shinji character as a more traditional hero only to kick it in the nuts hard in 3.0

Betraying what made the original great makes it a series high point and a great revival? Get out.

Best: Hunter x Hunter, JoJo

Worst: Berserk, by far. Hey at least the manga is still ongoing and just as amazing as it was back in the 90s.

Fj0823

I feel like you guys deserved Tri because you only want Adventure shit :p

Agreed.

Tamers was the best Digimon ever for me and it would work far FAR better with the teenage stuff since the original dealt with pre-Teen stuff (crushes,school,drama) pretty well.

latest

Just imagine...

My massive nostalgia for Sailor Moon made me sit through the entire first season and a few episodes of the second of Crystal before dropping it. The animation quality is certainly the easiest and most obvious target (When your promotional art isn't even on model...), but there are a bunch of deeper issues too. I can't really think of a reason to watch it instead of just reading the manga (Or watch the actual best adaptation. Fight me.) or even the old series. It's far from perfect, but it at least had more to offer than Crystal does. At least Season 3 ditches the awful CGI.

Moon Pride is really cool, though, I'll give it that.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Agreed.

Tamers was the best Digimon ever for me and it would work far FAR better with the teenage stuff since the original dealt with pre-Teen stuff (crushes,school,drama) pretty well.

latest

Just imagine...

Err... for me Digimon shouldn't really abandon the monster aspect in story telling. Teen shit would just get in the way and just makes you want to watch other anime instead.

It's one of the stuff you appreciate with Frontier, Saver and Xros Wars - full on Digimon world shenanigans.

MegaPanda

I really like what Gatchaman Crowds (2013) did. The 1972 original was your standard superhero show, fancy suits, flashy attacks, gadgets and a jet plane called the GOD PHOENIX.

You'd think that when Tatsunoko announced a reboot to Gatchaman they'd be making something to cash into the massive superhero hype at the time. They gave us Crowds instead where the action is minimal, fights are unsatisfying and the heroes don't do too much hero-ing. The show focused more on the potential of the general population and their superpower, the internet. You can argue that the show fell flat a bit, but it was still a nice contrast with the original series and its perception of heroes.

Fj0823

Err... for me Digimon shouldn't really abandon the monster aspect in story telling. Teen shit would just get in the way and just makes you want to watch other anime instead.

It's one of the stuff you appreciate with Frontier, Saver and Xros Wars - full on Digimon world shenanigans.

Oh I agree, I just say that if you HAVE TO do it, Tamers offers a way better setting for it

BLrF25N.gif

In case the comment wasn't sarcasm.

It's pathetic. Even Kemono Friends look better than this train wreck.

http://i.imgur.com/GP3Mqbd.mp4

As for favorite revivals, I'll go for Hunter x Hunter 2011, Sword Art Online Abridged and FMA: Brotherhood.

To a lesser extent, I'll add Kanon 2006. Guess which pair of shots are by Kyoto Animation?
GH0u0.jpg

If the studio ever announces a Fruits Basket revival, I'll lose my goddamn mind.

Digimon Tri isn't as bad as people make it out to be. That said, it is very different from normal Digimon so people expecting more of the same will be disappointed. First 2 parts (especially the 2nd) aren't great but they're not unwatchable like some people make them out to be. Pacing is the biggest issue with them. Part 3 is legitimately great and the best by far so far. Part 4 has a great scene to start, but then the pacing issues from the first two come back and it drags down. It also has a massive ass pull many people aren't happy with. Animation is a little spotty but the soundtrack is fantastic. Might be my favorite soundtrack of any movie(s).

jrcbandit

HAHAHA, that Berserk, I am so glad I dropped that after episode 2 of the 2016 series. I can't believe 2017 season is that bad....

My favorites are definitely Hunter X Hunter 2011 and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - improved animation over the originals, more closely followed the manga, better pacing (although pacing of FMA:B was a bit rushed at the beginning), and both series came to satisfying conclusions.

pbayne

I really enjoyed Osomatsu-san.

Best revival no one asked for/knew about. Was super successful too.

Tatsunoko seem to have a good record of taking old franchises and branching them off in really weird, cool directions too.

For worst its hard to top Eva and Digimon Tri(i only watched the first ova but i was staggered by how bad it was)

These Berserk gifs make me want to die. I still cannot get over how utterly shit Berserk 2016/2017 is. What makes it worse is that I've actually started watching Kemono Friends, which has equally horrendous animation but somehow manages to make it work.

CG Berserk is by far the worst revival I've seen so far, though the first two seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal give it a run for its money. (S3 fixed a lot of the problems, but ultimately still fell flat for me)

Ganyc

Best:
main2ocoid.jpg

5375511_orig5brfk.jpg

(especially after the last few seasons)

maxresdefault16bfm.jpg

oh and FMA Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter

Worst:
the Berserk joke
Eureka Seven movie
NGE Movies

Nightfall

Best:

Dragon Ball

The franchise could very well live off their popularity without having to add a thing, yet after the disastrous Evolution, Toriyama decided to bring it back to clean it's name

2 pretty good movies later we have a 100+ series and a fuck ton of money that it's even giving One Piece a run for its money and has added a bunch of iconic new characters that blend together with the original cast and bring a lot of fun new dynamics

May I hijack this thread for a bit?
I've only occasionally seen Dragon Ball Z and I'd really like to watch the whole show.

What's the best way to do it and where?

Loona

Worst: Mobile Suit Gundam - > Gundam SEED

does that count?

Nah, completely different setting and characters.

Speaking of stuff in Super Robot Wars, Mazinger Z also got relatively recent remakes IIRC, but I've watched neither that or the original, really...

I wonder if i should be worried about the plans to remake Legend of the Galactic Heroes...

Top Bottom