• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wolfenstein 2: Xbox One X's Biggest Leap Over PS4 Pro?

solis74

Microsoft put a lot of work into backwards compatibility for the Xbox One and Xbox One X that Sony hasn't. They even put hooks into the hardware to support it.

A lot of the amazing stuff that Microsoft has done with the Xbox One X is also in the software.

indeed.

Dude, it's thelastword you're quoting. He has never owned an Xbox console in his life and his whole shtick is to shill as hard as possible in behalf of Papa Sony while downplaying anything Xbox related.

Hey look phil spencers personal jerk off machine showed up to defend ms against another imagined insult.

Price difference between extra storage and a stand alone UDH player I would say are significant.

But hey, you just keep on doing you just don't let all that fanboy-ism leak out too fast.

No UHD drive in pro negatively affects only a small percentage of customers and positively benefits the rest. Only some people need to pay for missing functionality.

Undersized HDD in X1 affects nearly everyone. Nearly everyone has to pay for missing functionality.

See the difference there?

I am not a fanboy, I repeatedly shited on the Xbox One in our exchange and even called them out on the shifty 1TB HD in the X1X. No where I am making outlandish claims, or throwing petty shots. Our whole discussion started on the basis that the PS4P in my opinion was a mistake and a year after it released it lost it relevance, due to a lackluster strategy and execution and in the future will be seen as bad move by Sony as it lost it footing as viable product in the market relatively quickly. For the additional cost of the X1X of $100/20%($67 w/ UHD/16.5%) more in many games your getting gains of at least 40% and even more in other games. The X1X's strategy and execution has simply been better and offer more buck for you dollar.

I am for video games and always will be I had a Playstation 1 in 97' in Germany and some of my fondest memories in video games are on the PS. What I don't understand is the undying loyalty many give to companies blindly and then refuse to acknowledge any possible wrong doings they make. I never said the PS4P was shit, I just believe it was badly executed.

Yes, you're a fanboy if you call others like that. Cheers!

Reading the last few pages of this thread you wouldn't think this was a discussion about the XBOX One X Wolfenstein 2 performance.

tryDEATH

No UHD drive in pro negatively affects only a small percentage of customers and positively benefits the rest. Only some people need to pay for missing functionality.

Undersized HDD in X1 affects nearly everyone. Nearly everyone has to pay for missing functionality.

See the difference there?

Your making it sound like the 1TB HDD can only hold 3 or 4 games and that is it. You can easily have 10+ games on it at any given time, would I have liked more storage for games yeah, but 1TB is alright. I personally right now own 6 games and quite often trade games in when I finish them and I have half my HDD empty and it is probably going to stay that way for a considerable amount. I don't really know anyone that actively plays 15+ titles so they must have them at their finger tips at all times, in my opinion having more storage is more of a convenience.

Also the PS4P also only has 1TB and no UHD player so does that then make it twice as bad? How can it positively effect you if you don't have a UHD player nor a larger HDD then a 1TB HDD?

Yes, you're a fanboy if you call others like that. Cheers!

OMFG! LOL! ROFL! PMS.

hiphopcr

Well, if that's considered to be a "big leap" then I'm perfectly fine with my PS4 Pro and won't ever need a XOX. I barely see the difference.
Just wondering if you like so many others were claiming the 900p to 1080p difference was so dramatic at the beginning of this gen...

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
Dude, it's thelastword you're quoting. He has never owned an Xbox console in his life and his whole shtick is to shill as hard as possible in behalf of Papa Sony while downplaying anything Xbox related.

Thanks for pointing that out. While I have lurked here for years, never paid attention to usernames much till I created my own account. I will stop feeding him now.

Also the PS4P also only has 1TB and no UHD player so does that then make it twice as bad? How can it positively effect you if you don't have a UHD player nor a larger HDD then a 1TB HDD?

Because pro doesn't have 100 GB games. Also, how is the inability to watch UHD movies a negative for someone if that person was never going to use it in the first place? Most people dont even use their console to watch BDs, and that's far more popular than UHD BD.

On the other hand, who is going to buy an 1X, which is marketed as having the highest quality pixels and not download the high res enhancements? Forza, Halo, Gears are all 100gb. 1X 1TB HDD only has 780 GB free (less than pro btw). Close to 40% of your HDD space is going to be used by three games.

Because pro doesn't have 100 GB games. Also, how is the inability to watch UHD movies a negative for someone if that person was never going to use it in the first place? Most people dont even use their console to watch BDs, and that's far more popular than UHD BD.

On the other hand, who is going to buy an 1X, which is marketed as having the highest quality pixels and not download the high res enhancements? Forza, Halo, Gears are all 100gb. 1X 1TB HDD only has 780 GB free (less than pro btw). Close to 40% of your HDD space is going to be used by three games.

So plug an external drive in or delete games after you're done with them.. whoopie Doo. This isn't a new issue with either of these consoles. Since both consoles have installed entire games to the hard drive since the beginning of the generation managing space has always been a challenge. My guess is the people who own 4k TV's and buy XBX's can probably spend a $100 on an larger multi-TB drive if they are concerned about space.

And I would bet that most people who own consoles do use them to watch BR since they negate the need for a standalone player.

So plug an external drive in or delete games after you're done with them.. whoopie Doo. This isn't a new issue with either of these consoles. Since both consoles have installed entire games to the hard drive since the beginning of the generation managing space has always been a challenge. My guess is the people who own 4k TV's and buy XBX's can probably spend a $100 on an larger multi-TB drive if they are concerned about space.

And I would bet that most people who own consoles do use them to watch BR since they negate the need for a standalone player.

Might have been the case when DVD players and to an extent, BR players first come out but I'm not so sure on that statement now. Surely most people stream nowadays?

R_Deckard

Reading the last few pages of this thread you wouldn't think this was a discussion about the XBOX One X Wolfenstein 2 performance.

It's not it has transcended that to a higher place.

Also, how come they talk about dynamic scaling now in this video, in the last one they said it never dipped, now it dips all the time it seems?

thelastword

Banned

The huge files sizes were already an an issue on vanilla xbox one, now we have even bigger file sizes and downloads due to 4k assets and patches. However, the point is, MS games are just much bigger than the competiton.

Gears is 103Gb
Halo 5 is 113GB

and....

Quantum Break is a massive 178Gb on the XBONEX....That adds up pretty quickly...and if you add the Forza games, they come in pretty hefty just the same..

The reality is, persons are already spending $500.00 on a console, asking them to spend another sum on an HDD is just a toll order...Notwithstanding, data caps are an issue in many territories, especially the US.

Madeiras

Neo Member
The huge files sizes were already an an issue on vanilla xbox one, now we have even bigger file sizes and downloads due to 4k assets and patches. However, the point is, MS games are just much bigger than the competiton.

Gears is 103Gb
Halo 5 is 113GB

and....

Quantum Break is a massive 178Gb on the XBONEX....That adds up pretty quickly...and if you add the Forza games, they come in pretty hefty just the same..

The reality is, persons are already spending $500.00 on a console, asking them to spend another sum on an HDD is just a toll order...Notwithstanding, data caps are an issue in many territories, especially the US.

Quantum Break is not 178GB. Many trash the episodes on QB so I'm sure you can play the game without downloading them.

Madeiras

Neo Member
Poor me in a time where spoiled little twats have deep pockets to spend $1000 on mobile phones let's make a big deal about ultra cheap external hard drives when a lot of people already got them before even games were that big.

Might have been the case when DVD players and to an extent, BR players first come out but I'm not so sure on that statement now. Surely most people stream nowadays?

Maybe.. maybe not. I would imagine that if UHD is important to you that you are probably going to play discs instead of stream since streaming is not as high of quality. Point is that the box is still multi purpose.

Gears is 103Gb
Halo 5 is 113GB

and....

4k assets take space. I'm trying to figure out what your point is. No hardware company is ever going to make a console that suits everybody. If you don't want to buy an external hard drive delete games when you are done with them. Seems like a pretty simple solution to me. And QB is only so large if you down load all of the video. It's around 100 gig on the XB1 normally if you download the video.

Ms games are bigger now than the competition? Sorry but, bullshit. Horizon is over 40 gig, GT Sport is over 40 gig, Uncharted 4 is almost 50 gig,
Killzone is almost 40, The Order is over 30, even Until Dawn is almost 40 gig. They are similarly sized across the the more graphically intensive platforms.

As for data caps.. well I don't know what to tell you. This is going to be an issue as games get bigger and more complex. Next gen will be worse. I think the reality is if you have data caps then 4k gaming, regardless of console or PC, is going to be a challenge.

But hey.. keep fighting the good fight.

goonergaz

Just wondering if you like so many others were claiming the 900p to 1080p difference was so dramatic at the beginning of this gen...

I wonder how many of the XBO owners who couldn't see the differences then are bigging up the differences now? The difference now is we're in diminishing returns and you need the setup and stop playing to really see the difference.

I'm not saying it's not there, and if I had XBO I'd by the X in a heart-beat, but it's just getting harder to see the differences with the TVs we currently own, in a couple years more people will have better TVs and we'll appreciate the differences more I'm sure.

Journey

Banned
To be fair - MS DELIBERATELY released faulty consoles.

Don't get me started on the 60GB fatty, every existing one of those units failed, the difference between MS and Sony is that Sony was able to quickly update since they didn't deal with 3rd party.

Look up reballing PS3, I had to do that to mine to get rid of the blinking light of death, wanted to save hardware BC, SACD playback and my SD card readers, etc.

Dabanton

I wonder how many of the XBO owners who couldn't see the differences then are bigging up the differences now? The difference now is we're in diminishing returns and you need the setup and stop playing to really see the difference.

I'm not saying it's not there, and if I had XBO I'd by the X in a heart-beat, but it's just getting harder to see the differences with the TVs we currently own, in a couple years more people will have better TVs and we'll appreciate the differences more I'm sure.

As a first week buyer of an Xbox One OG, I saw the differences on Xbox One V PS4 games. But a lot of the time it was overblown fanboy being idiots stuff.

A lot of PS4 owners went on and on about 900p or anyone remember the 1080pr meme on here? It was sad that a lot of MS game threads turned into open trolling and bashing sessions over which resolution certain games were instead of discussion of the actual game. And lets be honest a lot of the games press fed into that nonsense of pixel counting and frames and jaggies.

So people can't be surprised that now the shoes on the other foot Some Xbox people are doing the same things. I'm seeing a lot of "I can't see a difference" which is just as disingenuous, a lot of it comes across like people reassuring themselves that their plastic box is still the best.

A lot of the more hardened warriors won't admit it, but they are kinda mad that the PS4 is no longer the 'worlds most powerful console'. It's still a great machine and it will still have all the great Sony exclusives.

Expect the same nonsense to suddenly matter again once the PS5 surfaces.

I am not a fanboy, I repeatedly shited on the Xbox One in our exchange and even called them out on the shifty 1TB HD in the X1X. No where I am making outlandish claims, or throwing petty shots. Our whole discussion started on the basis that the PS4P in my opinion was a mistake and a year after it released it lost it relevance, due to a lackluster strategy and execution and in the future will be seen as bad move by Sony as it lost it footing as viable product in the market relatively quickly. For the additional cost of the X1X of $100/20%($67 w/ UHD/16.5%) more in many games your getting gains of at least 40% and even more in other games. The X1X's strategy and execution has simply been better and offer more buck for you dollar.

I am for video games and always will be I had a Playstation 1 in 97' in Germany and some of my fondest memories in video games are on the PS. What I don't understand is the undying loyalty many give to companies blindly and then refuse to acknowledge any possible wrong doings they make. I never said the PS4P was shit, I just believe it was badly executed.

Don't really see the problem. I would imagine there will be a price drop on the Pro(unlikely on the X unless it bombs) and it sets up PS5 sooner which most people would prefer over these 2 bridge consoles.

If anything the og Ps4 and One came out either a little too late or a year or so too early considering the specs and trouble with 1080P and timing of 4K TV push.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I get that ppl think the PS5 will come first because they released the pro a year earlier, but there is a good chance that both MS and sony release a new system in 2020.
MS have now released two systems priced at $499, it will be interesting if MS release a next gen system at $499 and sony go with $399

goonergaz

As a first week buyer of an Xbox One OG, I saw the differences on Xbox One V PS4 games. But a lot of the time it was overblown fanboy being idiots stuff.

A lot of PS4 owners went on and on about 900p or anyone remember the 1080pr meme on here? It was sad that a lot of MS game threads turned into open trolling and bashing sessions over which resolution certain games were instead of discussion of the actual game. And lets be honest a lot of the games press fed into that nonsense of pixel counting and frames and jaggies.

So people can't be surprised that now the shoes on the other foot Some Xbox people are doing the same things. I'm seeing a lot of "I can't see a difference" which is just as disingenuous, a lot of it comes across like people reassuring themselves that their plastic box is still the best.

A lot of the more hardened warriors won't admit it, but they are kinda mad that the PS4 is no longer the 'worlds most powerful console'. It's still a great machine and it will still have all the great Sony exclusives.

Expect the same nonsense to suddenly matter again once the PS5 surfaces.

Yup, and last gen the same - and round and round we go! lol

I have to say though - the level of trolling and just poorly put arguments has increased to a new level recently...I don't mind a bit of banter but it's getting silly...and this is both sides "next gen startz now" to "I can't see the difference on 4k TV" ergh

goonergaz

The Pro is very much relevant and a good offering on the 'bang for buck' vs XBX - performance on some games alone is not the only factor at play. If your world existed no-one would have bough XBO or thought it relevant at all...why spend more on an inferior product!? But still the machine sold ok with all things considered...but you think the Pro is dead and a mistake?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The Pro is very much relevant and a good offering on the 'bang for buck' vs XBX - performance on some games alone is not the only factor at play. If your world existed no-one would have bough XBO or thought it relevant at all...why spend more on an inferior product!? But still the machine sold ok with all things considered...but you think the Pro is dead and a mistake?

Can't we all just get along?

goonergaz

Can't we all just get along?

6c5d6f1b9fbc6c1e458dba54d8cc828cea56185270db86a8c3f0deddf7a715a8.jpg

Yeah, people need to understand that different horses and all that.

I (for example) will gladly forgo the extra power because my Pro is more than adequate and I have a decent PC if I really must have 'moarh pixelz'.

Others will gladly lose out on PS exclusives like Last of Us and Uncharted (etc) because they would rather have the best console version of their games.

Each to their own.

Though, I do wonder how many of those who must have the best version are switching from PS4/Pro to XBX - it's a small number I recon...which speaks volumes.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, people need to understand that different horses and all that.

I (for example) will gladly forgo the extra power because my Pro is more than adequate and I have a decent PC if I really must have 'moarh pixelz'.

Others will gladly lose out on PS exclusives like Last of Us and Uncharted (etc) because they would rather have the best console version of their games.

Each to their own.

Though, I do wonder how many of those who must have the best version are switching from PS4/Pro to XBX it's a small number I recon...which speaks volumes.

This is why you get a lot of hate flung at you. Just an fyi.

JaxBriggs

Good grief guys i mean come on lol

Agreed. Almost none of the replies from the last page are on topic. It's all console warrior stuff.

Does this forum still have moderation? I feel a lot of this stuff wouldn't have been tolerated before but I'm not sure how it works now.

Lynn616

Gears is 103Gb
Halo 5 is 113GB

and....

What would be great is if we could get the disc version of games and install them and not have to use the disc to play. Then we could skip the download and still have the convenience of all digital. We would also get the benefit of the cheaper disc versions. If only Microsoft would have thought of that at the beginning of this gen. ;)

Slash76

So funny that many said there was a big leap between 900p and 1080p (Xbox One/Ps4), what would they say now with games like this? Looking forward to see what happens with Red Dead Redemption 2 or Anthem.

JaxBriggs

So funny that many said there was a big leap between 900p and 1080p (Xbox One/Ps4), what would they say now with games like this?

FWIW I find the difference between 720p to 1080p to be quite large. 900 to 1080 less so. To be honest though I have trouble telling much difference once resolution starts going above 1440p. I mean there are differences sure but far less pronounced IMO and nothing like the jump from 720p to 1080p.

Once we're getting to those levels of resolutions my concerns are more focused on solid frame rates because that's where the biggest impact comes from.

Journey

Banned
FWIW I find the difference between 720p to 1080p to be quite large. 900 to 1080 less so. To be honest though I have trouble telling much difference once resolution starts going above 1440p. I mean there are differences sure but far less pronounced IMO and nothing like the jump from 720p to 1080p.

Once we're getting to those levels of resolutions my concerns are more focused on solid frame rates because that's where the biggest impact comes from.

We're not just talking about a resolution bump, but we're also seeing better texture filtering and improved texture work that closer matches high end PC settings, that's what makes it so ironic. 900p to 1080 = big deal with the same exact texture work and sometimes worse filtering on PS4, but now that both resolution AND texture work are upgraded, we can barely notice?? really? lmao.

It's pretty drastic if you ask me

zp7c.png

goonergaz

We're not just talking about a resolution bump, but we're also seeing better texture filtering and improved texture work that closer matches high end PC settings, that's what makes it so ironic. 900p to 1080 = big deal with the same exact texture work and sometimes worse filtering on PS4, but now that both resolution AND texture work are upgraded, we can barely notice?? really? lmao.

zp7c.png

But it was more than just resoultion back then too;

the_gapqlpov.png

gta-v-ps4-vs-xbox-one.png

Also (as pointed out) you need the TV to fully appreciate it and most don't whereas at the start of the gen most did have a TV to show the differences.

As I said before, as folk upgrade their TVs they will see the advantages of XBX

edit - actually, seeing that GTA screen makes me wonder how good RDR2 might look and I might just have to get an X lol

JaxBriggs

we can barely notice?? really? lmao.

Sure when you zoom in like that it looks like a large difference. Not so much when playing in real world conditions in the living room. In that situation the difference is far less pronounced IMO.

Like I said, I personally find 720 to 1080p to be a more noticeable difference rather than anything over about 1440p which was more answering to what Slash76 was asking.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But it was more than just resoultion back then too;

the_gapqlpov.png

gta-v-ps4-vs-xbox-one.png

Also (as pointed out) you need the TV to fully appreciate it and most don't whereas at the start of the gen most did have a TV to show the differences.

As I said before, as folk upgrade their TVs they will see the advantages of XBX

edit - actually, seeing that GTA screen makes me wonder how good RDR2 might look and I might just have to get an X lol

Never knew there was this big of a difference.

eence

Top Bottom