• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

The best way I've found to play PS1 games is on the PS2 with component. It is sharper than the PS3 and it doesn't force the smoothing filter.

Anth0ny

n64 was better ;)

I played MGS for the first time in 2007 and SOTN in 2010 and they both blew me away. I feel bad for missing out on this console for so long.

I still need to get into some of those RPGs. I hear Final Fantasy VII is okay.

Zophar

Q: Well, how should I even play this stuff today? 1995 was like 7 years ago.

A: Buy a PS1. Or a PS2, which has near 100% backwards compatibility (the stuff that won't work is stuff you wouldn't want to play.) Older PS3 models can play PS1 games, but I've experienced a ton of graphical glitches with certain games. I wouldn't recommend it. Use component or SCART if you're playing on a PS2. An actual PS1 doesn't support component cables, so you can use SCART if you're in the Euro zone or have an XRGB. If not, you're gonna want S-video.

All PS3s play PS1 games, not just older models. I have also never experienced any of these glitches you speak of.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
n64 was better ;)

I played MGS for the first time in 2007 and SOTN in 2010 and they both blew me away. I feel bad for missing out on this console for so long.

I feel like Final Fantasy VII gets shit on primarily because its ardent fans are so fucking annoying. I've always liked it, though... Last time I played the game was back in 2009, so I'm aware of how silly the character models look, but I still think the game's a good bit of fun.

n64 was better ;)

:O

The PS1 and FF7 is the reason I got into RPGs in the first place. I remember going to a friends in middle school and he showed off FF7. I was hooked.

Himself

Ay recommendations on where to get a memory card I can use on my PS2 for PS1 saves? I bought an official PS1 card off ebay but it came with corrupted data and couldn't be used.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Shmup fans must import Gradius Gaiden. It is a no brainer, and one of those games we should have gotten!

Jeremy Parish mentioned on Retronauts that it is a lot like SotN. No it's not a metroidvania, it is a regular level-based shooter. But the high quality sprites and digital music tracks make it a very similar "next generation" version of an old Konami classic. I'd almost consider it a sister game to SotN in that sense.

hipgnosis

I've been meaning to do this thread for a long time. Awesome stuff OP! Huge PS1 fan and a collector here, will be posting my collection later on.

One of the greatest things about the PSone is that it was still cheap to develop for, and 3D was still new to most devs so there was a lot of experimenting going on. It seemed like everyone was willing to take risk because a bad risk wouldn't kill your company, and a good risk could make you a star (like Driver or Parappa).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Shmup fans must import Gradius Gaiden. It is a no brainer, and one if those games we should have gotten!

Jeremy Parish mentioned on Retronauts that it is a lot like SotN. No it's not a metroidvania, it is a regular level-based shooter. But the high quality sprites and digital music tracks make it a very similar "next generation" version of an old Konami classic. I'd almost consider it a sister game to SotN in that sense.

I have two sealed copies of Gradius Gaiden and still haven't played the damn thing. Though one is the PSOne Books version that's got the ghetto case that doesn't even fit the manual... I need to give that away at some point.

Ay recommendations on where to get a memory card I can use on my PS2 for PS1 saves? I bought an official PS1 card off ebay but it came with corrupted data and couldn't be used.

Do you have any local retro game stores? I think the couple in my city sell then for under $5 each. I would assume they would be around that price everywhere else.

I have noticed some people selling them on the Buy, Sell, Trade thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506332

rrs

Talking about good games, Gran Turismo 2.

dxR5RGJ.png

• A soundtrack that sticks in your head.
  • Has cars from one of the best eras in automotive history.
  • Tracks fans have been begging to put in later games.
  • So many cars to collect and race with.
  • Cheap to get today.
  • Gameplay held up to the test of time.
  • More Nissan Skyline variants than the mind can handle

BocoDragon

Every PS3 can read PS1 discs, also PSP and PS Vita are pretty good alternatives to play PS1 games as well.
Yeah the games look great on handhelds!

I used to play Einhander on the bus back in the mid-2000s.... Memories.

pixlexic

Banned
Every PS3 can read PS1 discs, also PSP and PS Vita are pretty good alternatives to play PS1 games as well.

yeah but they screwed around with the dithering .. the dithering is different on those devices compared to a original ps1. Not a big deal but it bugs me.

SpecX

Amazing system that I lost countless hours to during my childhood. I still need to complete Vagrant Story. Might give it another shot this weekend.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The glorious PSX.

Lately I've played themmostly on my Vita.
Outside of emulation, they look the best there at native res.

Yeah, all PS3s are PSX BC.

BocoDragon

I really enjoyed playing Parasite Eve last summer. When it was new, RPG nerds were bummed that it was a shorter, simpler RPG. But now I think that's refreshing.. You can get through it in a few days.

By the way.... Where's Parappa??? And Um Jammer Lammy?? "I gotta believe" it just slipped your mind!

The console that brought me the most entertainment. It will probably never be topped.

Syphon Filter1/2, MGS, GT2, Jet Moto, Warzone 2100, Bloody Roar, Twisted Metal 2, WuTang, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, NFS 3/4, Tony Hawk 1, Silent Hill, Bushido Blade, Tekken 3, WWF Warzone. These are a sample of the games that I was hooked on throughout its life-cycle. Each having their own time and place.

I still have brigandine and tactics Ogre. I didn't know brigandine sold so well on ebay. Might have to put it up.

Speaking of Brigandine, a local game store finally called me after having it on reserve for years a few months ago. Well, I go in and they want $150 for a disc only copy of it. Yeah, screw that... The store's pricing is has went downhill in the last couple years or so. They seem to take the ebay prices and double them. In the late 2000s I picked up a ton of stuff there for very low prices. Fox Hunt for ~$10, Suikoden II ~$50. Now they want $50+ for Fox Hunt and $150 for Suikoden II.

PS1 was the first system I bought with my hard earned money. I also bought Destruction Derby and spent the first weekend playing it. I wish Sony would release Destruction Derby 2 on PSN.

Great thread. PSOne games on my vita is the best. One of my favorite consoles ever and recently I've started to really warm back up to the older raw polygon look of the PSOne era

It's almost like the next pixel art look for me. I love the retro look to it all

Carnby

Here's a little tidbit for collectors that I recently learned. There are three variants of Silent Hill. The regular/common copy, the greatest hits release, and a "shiny" version that was only available to those that purchased it day one.

group.jpg

There is not difference in price between the two versions. This is mostly because people are not aware of the variation.

Top Bottom