• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terra Battle 2 |OT| All Hail the Gooch

How do you reroll? I got through the tutorial and I have some stuff under companions and some stuff under Setup but I’m not sure what any of this is. Is this the “roll”, even though I didn’t do anything? I thought there was going to be a gacha or something. Do I have to do story or something?

Baliis

How do you reroll? I got through the tutorial and I have some stuff under companions and some stuff under Setup but I’m not sure what any of this is. Is this the “roll”, even though I didn’t do anything? I thought there was going to be a gacha or something. Do I have to do story or something?

Part way through chapter 2 youll unlock the gacha.

chrono01

How do you reroll? I got through the tutorial and I have some stuff under companions and some stuff under Setup but I'm not sure what any of this is. Is this the ”roll", even though I didn't do anything? I thought there was going to be a gacha or something. Do I have to do story or something?
As mentioned, you need to make it up to the "tree" in Chapter 2 before you unlock the gacha. It might seem like a long time, but there's a few things you can do to speed up the process.

1) Feed Samantha (the SS every account comes with) with a couple Golden Mighty. This will unlock her first and second skills, which will make killing the enemies/boss faster. She's a nice character too, so these Mighty won't be wasted.

2) The only battle you need to actually complete is the Orb Boss in the first chapter. The rest of the fights, whether you initiate them or not (through moving your character), you can hit "Pause" when the battle starts, hit "Give Up", and then revive for free with 0 energy spent to skip the fight. Don't waste Phoenix Feathers or anything, just back out of that window and opt to use the free Energy (it's free for the first three chapters).

3) Grab the single energy hidden in the left alcove in the first chapter. Just look for a separated "cover" from the map, where there's a few glittering areas. One of those areas contain the energy.

After you do all of the above and unlock the gacha, with the energy you receive with the daily login as well as achievements, you should have 60 which is enough for two multi-pulls. You might even have more than 60 energy, if new accounts receive the downtime compensation, in which case you can skip the hidden energy in the first chapter to speed along the process further.

Good luck! The rates...aren't the best, but if you're determined like I was, don't let that stop you!

forgrim

anyone know how to get past these unpassable walls to the sparklies in stage 3? they call for me but...i can't get to them!

chrono01

Thanks! I assume I want a SS or higher healer and/or lots of Z units? Is Z the best?
Yeah, SS are great, but if you can manage a Z-Class Guardian/Equipment, even better! Keep in-mind their rates are sitting at a ridiculously-low 0.5%, so the odds aren't in your favor. I guess it depends on how stubborn you are in re-rolling, haha.

Vena

Some of the Zs are fairly bad from what I can see at a glance. And I think I found the TB2 Bahl but I have to see if his skills work as they did in TB1.

seady

Thank you very much. I have the exact same question as him also. Most mobile free-to-play games that rely on gacha system do not have sequel, as it builds upon the original and evolve along the way. Now I understand why they need a sequel.

Oh okay. Sorry, I thought starring at the Gooch's amazing face in the OP would be enough to convince anyway, but I guess some people need more.

Terra Battle 2 is a brand new story built ground up to have the Terra Battle experience but evolved beyond what the original game can handle. Instead of chapters being split into 10 disconnected episodes which are a series of battles, they want something more substantial, so now there's a full conceptualized world map, with each chapter of the game taking place in actual locations on the map. You move through a chapter on the map before you get into encounters that are like the original game's battle maps. This also allows them to create optional content and secrets on the actual chapter maps. The game will have 3 chapters at release, instead of the full 30 the original game had, and they will be releasing a new chapter every week like a TV series. This way, it gives them more of a buffer to sustain interest as they build more content and special events, instead of the terrible gap between release and the first substantial new wave of content in the original game.

The way characters are handled are also different. Instead of gacha for characters themselves, you gacha for characters who are "Guardians" you equip on story characters. This allows them to create story characters that everyone can have regardless of luck of the draw, and have story scenes where characters actually talk to each other instead of a narrator's voice carrying everything.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So my complaints would currently be as follows:

1.) While I like the idea of going around a world map, all the fights outside of the bosses feel boring and samey this way, since it's just a few units who wander into your path. I think it would have been better if you went around the world map and engaged in pre-designed encounters that you could maybe cause some mild variation to based on what you did on the map.

2.) The gacha rates are terrible, and it's double gacha (pulling both weapons and characters), which generally isn't a great experience.

3.) I can't really tell if any of my characters are better than the dummy things attached to the triplets.

4.) The weapons aren't entirely clear.

5.) The UI for equipping things is pretty bad. This is also true of the UI for using the inbox or retrieving achievement rewards.

6.) While being able to swap with enemies fixes the corner problem, it makes stacking units appropriately feel way worse, so you just settle for a couple units, making combat more boring.

I'm not sure I'm really feeling this.

Rixa

Yup. Metal Dungeon hard gives lots of exp and resonance.

Screenshot_20170923-063255.png
Screenshot_20170923-063306.png

Still it takes multiple runs to get one level for Z Elga (even when Iam sharing xp evenly). This will help me to get stuff higher in levels and I can try normal Leviathan before it goes away.

duckroll

Is it even really worthwhile to reroll? I feel like I invested a lot of not-so-fun time into TB2 so far, and while I'm hoping the game improves a lot over the next few weeks and months, I don't have any motivation to really reroll just for better characters at the moment.

Interestingly enough, there was going to be a Mistwalker stream tonight on the launch of TB2, but they've cancelled it citing that they need to be focused on fixing launch issues instead. RIP.

ChefWycoon

Neo Member
Is it even really worthwhile to reroll? I feel like I invested a lot of not-so-fun time into TB2 so far, and while I'm hoping the game improves a lot over the next few weeks and months, I don't have any motivation to really reroll just for better characters at the moment.

Interestingly enough, there was going to be a Mistwalker stream tonight on the launch of TB2, but they've cancelled it citing that they need to be focused on fixing launch issues instead. RIP.

I honestly never think it's good to re-roll in these types of games. Get any S/SS guardian and play with what you have. You'll end up with good rolls as you play over a longer period of time.

Alucrid

Banned
New "feature".
Stealth for everyone ! (TB1 skill)

They probably changed it because of the way mobs tend to gang up on you, and how magnet system sticks your heroes in a tight bunch.

thanks. i guess that makes sense considering the changes to the gameplay. is tb2 meant to be an addition to the tb universe or a straight up replacement for the first game?

I've come to the realization that you should equip your weapons before your guardians. For one thing your characters are equipment restricted, but not by guardian. And you should pick your guardian based on the stats of the weapon, as well as what aoe enhancements the weapon offers. I've got a couple of high rank weapons I can't utilise effectively because they expand gigas, but I don't have any characters with those skills yet.

chrono01

It's difficult to say. I'm sure the game will be viable for people without SS/Z-Class characters/equipment, but it does help, and given their rarity you might pull a couple SS characters over the course of the game naturally from pulling the gacha, Z-Class on the other hand...

It's more of "want" than a "need" thing, at least for me personally. I re-rolled, but then I always do that in every single gacha game I play, regardless of whether it's required or not. If you can put up with the constant re-rolls, I'd say go for it, but I doubt you'll be negatively-impacted in the future if you don't, unless you get hit with ridiculously bad luck when it comes to future gacha pulls.

I got a Zumba and Chirol on my starting acct. Any good?

All I wanted was waifus.

Disappoint am I.
I feel you. I wanted a Z-Class waifu and I got...Xena. Damn it, I'm not a furry! At least I have Samantha and a handful of nice S-Class waifu to keep me company.

As for your account, yeah I'd definitely keep that. A Z-Class + SS-Class starting pull(s) is definitely worth going forward. I wish us both luck with those future waifu (please, no more beastfolk for me).

Baliis

Probably for the best. Trying to level Guardians with Mightys is causing people to insta DC which seems like a pretty important thing to fix lol

I assume it’s just because first 2 chapters and all, but do the battles get more strategic? I remember in TB1 you’d have all kinds of obstacles, pits, spikes, and stuff that made some of the levels really interesting. So far all I’m seeing is “kill an entire 8x10 board completely filled up with enemies.”
Also, what are all the little glimmering things on the levels?

chrono01

I assume it’s just because first 2 chapters and all, but do the battles get more strategic? I remember in TB1 you’d have all kinds of obstacles, pits, spikes, and stuff that made some of the levels really interesting. So far all I’m seeing is “kill an entire 8x10 board completely filled up with enemies.”
The boss in chapter 3 lays down spike traps, so I'm sure more advanced mechanics such as that will be prevalent in later chapters.

The glittering areas are items, run your character over them (if you can, given the sensitive movement) to pick them up.

Rixa

I've come to the realization that you should equip your weapons before your guardians. For one thing your characters are equipment restricted, but not by guardian. And you should pick your guardian based on the stats of the weapon, as well as what aoe enhancements the weapon offers. I've got a couple of high rank weapons I can't utilise effectively because they expand gigas, but I don't have any characters with those skills yet.

I have Giga units but I don't have Giga EQ's. I dont know what Tyrfing will give cause its skills is not yet opened. Thus Z Elga (Giga skills) is equipping it cause best stats.

Screenshot_20170923-093600.png

Ui takes some time to get used to.

Chrono pm your friend ID code.

Baliis

I assume it's just because first 2 chapters and all, but do the battles get more strategic? I remember in TB1 you'd have all kinds of obstacles, pits, spikes, and stuff that made some of the levels really interesting. So far all I'm seeing is ”kill an entire 8x10 board completely filled up with enemies."

You didn't really see that sort of stuff in TB1 until the later chapters too, I expect it will get more complex as it goes on.

What do you get for hosting the co-op fight?

Rixa

Leviathan easy is really easy but leviathan normal is wtf hard. Can't beat him, no dedicated healer on my lineup.

Apparently Leviathan does drop, he just doesn't show up in the loot table after the match is over:

Got 2 copies of him from normal mode. Also my hero has 236 attack if anyone wants to use him, my ID is 2c1fcc81

Leviathan normal is not easy, managed to do it, didnt drop but I got this A helm, Samatha can wear it.

Since that SS weapon is not getting skills any time soon, swapped A & SS places and got this nice range to Mega Slash.

1. Why is sort option greyed?
2. Why I can't see when friend logged last time?
3. Why can't we add friend info, would be easier to know who is who?

I want more levels :(

duckroll

Finished Chapter 3. Decided not to reroll even though I don't have great stuff from the first two 10x pulls because I believe my luck will come later (if the game doesn't continue to suck).

The story presentation is waaaaaay better than TB1 and some of the boss mechanics got more interesting. Still not feeling the magnet system and the game keeps pausing for long periods in chapter 3 during the enemy turns. Gonna dig into the optional quests later.

(Holy big post, Sarah!)

I think the people comparing early stages TB2 to later stages TB1 are being a bit unfair. I'd like to think and hope the maps will also become more elaborate as we get to later chapters and stages.

From what I can remember the early stages of TB1, other than boss fights, were also pretty much just u mowing through waves of enemies. I'd like to think that rather than padding the game out with puzzle stages like that they went for the larger world aspect, I don't mind the waves of enemies and being able to move around enemies to be the meat and potatoes of the game so long we still get scripted puzzle boss fights and challenges like the leviathan one. I find it to be a good balance.

This articulates something I've been struggling to put into words, for some reason - I actually lost my old TB1 account during a phone changeover a while back, so I've actually had to restart TB1 from scratch, which is helpful for this.

I think some of y'all have real rose-tinted glasses for early TB1. What we're playing right now is the equivalent of maybe chapters 1-5 of TB1. And I still say it plays better because it's a bit more snappy and unit positioning isn't as much of an absolute agony as I always found it in TB1. I enjoy the mass chaos of the chapter maps (though right now chapter 2's replay isn't working for me, which is annoying because I want to farm King Orblings) but the controlled maps of the Leviathan event are also neat, and setting up to kill specific objectives is cool.

To be honest, TB1's constant (sometimes unclear and seemingly gacha-dependent) puzzle gameplay eventually wore at me. I appreciate that TB2 is more varied - and I mean I appreciate it a lot.

I keep trying to hammer on this point, but yeah, equipment might be more important than guardians in some ways. Your guardians determine your skills (and can have some effect on your stats depending on passives), but your equipment really determines your stats and how those skills actually function. You need to consider both when setting up a character, and make sure you know how to utilize the area spread you've set up for a character.

(FWIW, though, Samatha has a Giga skill once you pump a couple of gold Mightys into her. At 50%, though, getting to trigger consistently before getting some skill bonus for her can be tricky...)

Leviathan normal is not easy, managed to do it, didnt drop but I got this A helm, Samatha can wear it.

Remember: the Guardians don't equip weapons. Your characters (like Sarah) do. You can view what a character can equip under the "character" tab in inventory; it's the one thing that currently differentiates characters, aside from what their default, "naked" Guardian is.

I have Giga units but I don't have Giga EQ's. I dont know what Tyrfing will give cause its skills is not yet opened.

I don't know about Tyrfing but it is possible it won't gain a skill modifier; I've got a Sun Sword, an A weapon, like that and it appears to just be a stat stick. That still has its uses, and may have even more once I recode Samatha and she gets Weapon Mastery (which allows both of your weapons to affect your skills).

I would've preferred it if the situations were reversed, and you could only equip one item but many guardians because.... items aren't waifu.

To be fair, there are already items (on this page!) with little dudes attached or piloting them; it is entirely conceivable that we could have miniature waifus on our gear in the future. Or mini-waifus in our accessory/companion slots! Just think! That's a waifu guardian, character, four equipments, and four companions! That's potentially ten waifus in a single unit!

IT'S MARRIAGE ALL THE WAY DOWN.

5.) The UI for equipping things is pretty bad. This is also true of the UI for using the inbox or retrieving achievement rewards.

I'll say this much: it boggles my mind that you can't see what guardian skills do, especially their potential modifiers and activation chances, from the status screen or especially the recode info screen. That's important information I would like to have before choosing which recode to go for first! Yes, you eventually get both, but it'd be nice to know fine details between the two since I need to level it to 99 again before getting the other variant!

As one final thing: now that more people are reaching chapter 3, did we want to keep
the whole thing about the fate of Sarah's party and the player party switching over to Team Kukurakan
a spoiler? I've been doing so because it's pretty clear that the game intends for it to be a spoiler and the way the pre-release promo material has been presented and whatnot.

Rixa

. I enjoy the mass chaos of the chapter maps (though right now chapter 2's replay isn't working for me, which is annoying because I want to farm King Orblings) but the controlled maps of the Leviathan event are also neat, and setting up to kill specific objectives is cool.

(FWIW, though, Samatha has a Giga skill once you pump a couple of gold Mightys into her. At 50%, though, getting to trigger consistently before getting some skill bonus for her can be tricky...)

Remember: the Guardians don't equip weapons. Your characters (like Sarah) do. You can view what a character can equip under the "character" tab in inventory; it's the one thing that currently differentiates characters, aside from what their default, "naked" Guardian is.

I don't know about Tyrfing but it is possible it won't gain a skill modifier; I've got a Sun Sword, an A weapon, like that and it appears to just be a stat stick. That still has its uses, and may have even more once I recode Samatha and she gets Weapon Mastery (which allows both of your weapons to affect your skills).

Tyrfing went to 2nd slot for stat sticking and I did put A rank weapon to 1st slot for that Megaslash.

What are King Orblings used for, I have one rank C in inventory, why would I want farm them? Obviously I will farm them when its possible.

Liking really much TB2, that chaos in Raids and the joy of clearing Normal Levi. This time I got A rank Beret. Haevn't got Levi as drop but it will come some day.

Baliis

Tyrfing went to 2nd slot for stat sticking and I did put A rank weapon to 1st slot for that Megaslash.

What are King Orblings used for, I have one rank C in inventory, why would I want farm them? Obviously I will farm them when its possible.

Liking really much TB2, that chaos in Raids and the joy of clearing Normal Levi. This time I got A rank Beret. Haevn't got Levi as drop but it will come some day.

They have Magic +10% as a chain skill I believe which is pretty good. They're also just easily farmable, assuming chapter 2 is working for you. Makes getting 1st in the raid super easy apparently? Don't really know for sure since I dont have one.

The idea with things like the King Orblings is that, while their skillset isn't great, it's a lot easier to farm extra copies and thus a) level them and b) get their bonus skill chance to 100%, meaning all their skills will go off all the time. Given that King Orbling has Ultima as a skill, that ain't shabby, and they also have that chain spell damage up as a thing, meaning they can make a caster or hybrid team hit harder just by being there.

vareon

I'm playing this slowly now, the huge maps actually discouraged me from progressing since I don't know how many battles, fun or not, do I have to play before a destination. But I want to like the game, since its presentation and music is top tier, so I'll play at a slow and steady pace.

I think a confirmation prompt before moving in the map would be greatly helpful, though I don't know if they can implement it at this point.

Rixa

They have Magic +10% as a chain skill I believe which is pretty good. They're also just easily farmable, assuming chapter 2 is working for you. Makes getting 1st in the raid super easy apparently? Don't really know for sure since I dont have one.

The idea with things like the King Orblings is that, while their skillset isn't great, it's a lot easier to farm extra copies and thus a) level them and b) get their bonus skill chance to 100%, meaning all their skills will go off all the time..

Thus those who can are farming Leviathan hard?
Iam not sure what skillset Levi has but one would expect it to be okish.

oh my god, maint just as I finish the last round of my last metal ticket, and I was on a tear. if I lose that ticket I swear to god
emot-argh.gif

Ah well, that just means more free energy.

Heng

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already but you can receive 2 extra crystals (the one you use for gacha) for each chapter playing on sync instead of the other option. Only problem is that chapter 2 is buggy ATM and freezes your game. Hopefully the maintenance will fix it.

chrono01

Let me know if you receive my PM Rixa, I'm not sure if I'm having trouble sending them or what, but the last couple I sent out came back as un-responded. Not sure if it's a browser thing or whatever, haha.

(Maybe people just don't want to respond back. ;_;)

duckroll

The most disappointing thing about TB2 marketing has to be how they handled the pre-release bonuses. The DMM event and the Famitsu bonus DLC are both totally useless because they cut a deal with DMM to make the browser version incompatible with the phone version. Way to go. After Terra Battle being one of the most open and unified gacha games out there this was pretty disappointing. Apparently the English and Japanese versions are different apps this time too.

I kinda blame all this on Silicon Studio. What Mistwalker managed to make with just 1 programmer and 1 game designer, they somehow couldn't even match with 8 programmers and 9 game designers. Not to mention the dozens of extra graphic artists they have... only to come up with a UI that's a clusterfuck.

Edit: Does anyone want a Friend List compiled in the OP? I could do that. I don't even know how the Friend List really works yet.

Rixa

Let me know if you receive my PM Rixa, I'm not sure if I'm having trouble sending them or what, but the last couple I sent out came back as un-responded. Not sure if it's a browser thing or whatever, haha.

(Maybe people just don't want to respond back. ;_;)

I did forgot it lol. That envelope is so small :p Anyways will add you after maintenance.
Hopefully we get more free energy \o_

chrono01

Edit: Does anyone want a Friend List compiled in the OP? I could do that. I don't even know how the Friend List really works yet.
Sounds great to me!

I believe all that's needed is the User ID to add others. Maybe a simple one where we could list the ID and (maybe) our lead character(s) would be nice? I'd definitely love to fill my list with fellow GAF members, as I do all of my gacha games.

I did forgot it lol. That envelope is so small :p Anyways will add you after maintenance.
Hopefully we get more free energy \o_
No worries man, just wanted to see if something was up with PM's on my end.

No hurry!

duckroll

Okay you guys tell me what to do, and I'll start putting the list in the OP and updating as people share theirs if they want to.

Maybe have something like this as a format?

Friend List
userid (GAF username)

chrono01

Okay you guys tell me what to do, and I'll start putting the list in the OP and updating as people share theirs if they want to.

Maybe have something like this as a format?

Friend List
userid (GAF username)
Yeah, usually the Google Doc/Friend Lists I see for gacha games have a section where you can post your GAF username, in-game username, User ID, current leader, and maybe another "Notes" section where you can make a mention about various stuff. If the Google Doc is open (so it's editable by everyone), obviously keep the URL hidden behind the quote so it's only viewable for GAF people (and isn't sabotaged by people outside GAF who have a score to settle), but I'm sure you know all of that.

Thus those who can are farming Leviathan hard?
Iam not sure what skillset Levi has but one would expect it to be okish.

If you can somehow do Levi Hard, then yes, but I spent 15 stamina to poke my nose in there out of curiosity.

Level 50 trash on the first wave. #nope. I'm decently leveled now but it'll be a while before I can seriously think about attempting that. Gonna stick with normal Levi for this week's rotation, in all likelihood.

And yes, if you can get multiple Levi copies, the same idea as King Orbling applies; you just smash your Levis together to get a big boost to the skill bonus (especially since Levi has a couple skills that are very low chance). From earlier in the thread:

Percentages on those are 80/50/30/-/100/10 at base, fwiw. Maelstrom is apparently that same attack he opens combat with and hits the entire map. He's basically an A-class Guardian that comes with a recode built in, since he's got six skills already. Also, that 10% actually upgrades to 20% as you level him. He seems like he'd be really good, once leveled and once you get some bonus on him.

Managed to snag one from my first run, but I've had no luck since. Levi normal can also drop Mythril Helmets, for what it's worth, though, so it's also worth doing for that, as it's an A-rank helmet.

I'm not sure if someone has mentioned this already but you can receive 2 extra crystals (the one you use for gacha) for each chapter playing on sync instead of the other option. Only problem is that chapter 2 is buggy ATM and freezes your game. Hopefully the maintenance will fix it.

It's worth noting, though, that you should not do a sync run for your first go of a chapter unless you specifically want it to be harder; I think people have been doing that and making things more frustrating for themselves than it needs to be.

Once you've leveled some, it's a good idea, though, and I still need to do it, in fact. (Hopefully maint fixes chapter 2.)

The most disappointing thing about TB2 marketing has to be how they handled the pre-release bonuses. The DMM event and the Famitsu bonus DLC are both totally useless because they cut a deal with DMM to make the browser version incompatible with the phone version. Way to go. After Terra Battle being one of the most open and unified gacha games out there this was pretty disappointing. Apparently the English and Japanese versions are different apps this time too.

Yeah, a friend and I tested out the JP and EN clients to see if we could friend each other. The clients and servers are so separate that the same user ID code can point to two different users across the servers. And it's crazy to me that the browser version can't talk to the phone version. That's, like... the point in games like Granblue. Multiple ways for people to play on the same account depending on where they are and user preference. I don't know how they'd miss that so badly.

Though really, I would wonder how much DMM is to blame. This isn't the first time there have been shenanigans with them (see again: Granblue) and it's not the kind of thing I see Sakaguchi missing otherwise. He must have somehow thought the tradeoff was worth it; I'd question that wisdom.

It's pretty much just punching in a friend code. I was actually going to ask if posting codes in the thread is kosher :v

duckroll

Yeah, usually the Google Doc/Friend Lists I see for gacha games have a section where you can post your GAF username, in-game username, User ID, current leader, and maybe another "Notes" section where you can make a mention about various stuff. If the Google Doc is open (so it's editable by everyone), obviously keep the URL hidden behind the quote so it's only viewable for GAF people (and isn't sabotaged by people outside GAF who have a score to settle), but I'm sure you know all of that.

I don't really want to maintain a Google Docs though, it's a bit too much trouble. >_>

If there are privacy concerns I guess we can errrr... talk about this. Any suggestions?

chrono01

I don't really want to maintain a Google Docs though, it's a bit too much trouble. >_>

If there are privacy concerns I guess we can errrr... talk about this. Any suggestions?
There's not a lot to maintain a Google Doc, you basically just make it, share the URL to those you want so they can enter/edit their information, and that's all. It's completely open-ended. You can also opt to make it private and have people enter their information via a survey of sorts, but I've never done that option so I'm not entirely sure how it works.

As for keeping the URL behind the email tag, I'm not entirely sure it's needed as I doubt too many people get their excitement by altering Google Documents for gacha games...but you never can be too safe, especially when it's open and accessible by everyone. It's not to the risk of compromising our accounts or anything, but someone could potentially go into the Google Doc and delete/edit all of the information so it's inaccurate, so it'd be more of a nuisance than anything else if it happened.

I could maybe try to slap something together and get things started.

chrono01

Okay, I made the TB2 Friend List/Google Doc. I made it open, so everyone can enter/edit their information as they need to. I'll hide it behind the email tag, so just quote this post to see.

If it doesn't work for whatever reason, let me know!

Top Bottom