• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 4 out now on iOS/Android, party chat included

Li Kao

Potential (western) definitive edition if the party chat is back.
And yep, the idea that every game and especially classics (that are certainly not cheap on other platforms) should be 5$ max need to be shot, burned and buried. I'm just not certain on the order.

Li Kao

Now, to decide which version to get.

Well at the moment I would say wait for the release and people verdict on performances. Then take in consideration how you feel about touch screen movements and what appear to be portrait only.
I am seriously tempted personally, but as I said, it depends on many factors that only you can assess.

Clunker

I was debating picking this up at launch (I'm a complete whore for DQIV), but party chat would seal the deal instantly. And I must be strange, because having a game in portrait mode is actually a bonus for me nowadays - the only real killer for me would be how the game handles app switching and how it runs on my 4s.

What is this jargon

8PTE898.png

flowsnake

Well at the moment I would say wait for the release and people verdict on performances. Then take in consideration how you feel about touch screen movements and what appear to be portrait only.
I am seriously tempted personally, but as I said, it depends on many factors that only you can assess.

Between Android and iOS. I'm not sure if I want to play it on a phone or tablet.

Boney

Banned
Seems I'm gonna have to upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 already, it's not like my battery is lasting long either way.

Li Kao

Between Android and iOS. I'm not sure if I want to play it on a phone or tablet.

Eh, another factor indeed. I only have an Ipad and never played games in portrait mode. While it makes sense with a phone, I fear that ergonomic could take a big hit with a larger screen.

I am way too bored.

gN6JosO.png
I appreciate this.

What I'm referring to is that party talk option always gave the message "There's no one to talk to to" when you tried to use it. SE didn't translate any of the party talk dialogue for the western release.
I do know about party talk being dropped. If the store page is to be believed though...
Hope they won't lie.

Game Features
・Party Talk
Chat with your loyal companions any time you like during your adventure!
They’ll tell you all kinds of interesting things, depending on where you are in the story, and what heroic feats you have accomplished!
...makes me wonder if the rumor of party talk dropped so that multi-5 fits on cart of x size was true?

Road

apparently you have to actually search for Dargon Quest for it to show up in the app store too, Dragon Quest doesn't work

*6 months later*

Square Enix: Yeah, as we thought, nobody bought DQIV. They can't complain we didn't try!!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm so sick and tired of these App Store clones of game from REAL gaming platforms. When are Nintendo and Square Enix going to do something to stop these knock-off artists?

Square Enix is too busy cleaning up its offices to raid anyone else's.

daveo42

Banned
I'm more surprised they decided to localize this thing. I mean, I've never see any of the Dargon Quest games stateside. Hopefully SE will start localizing the rest of them.

It's a menu based RPG. You're not really needing precise control schemes.

I'm just curious about the implementation of the rotatable camera. I can't imagine it not being a little tedious but I'll have to see for myself. I already want this for party chat.

Just noticing DARGON QUEST...smh.

Burt

What the hell is wrong with the translation in that gameplay video?

Nice of SE to not make the game out of that horrible HD sprite-style they use, but that price is absurd.

Nice of SE to not make the game out of that horrible HD sprite-style they use, but that price is absurd.

If it were a DS or 3DS game, we'd all be talking about how cheap it is.

Li Kao

Do you know of many stores where you can buy a new copy of the game for 15$ ?
Or maybe you would have preferred 5$ with IAP.

Absurd price indeed, boo this company.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait... is there a horizontal mode as well? I would hope so.

Burt

If it were a DS or 3DS game, we'd all be talking about how cheap it is.
But it isn't. I'm probably as big an advocate for full-fledged premium non-IAP games on the app store as you can be, but there are realities to environment right now, and releasing a 25 year-old game for the fourth time at $15 isn't the way to handle them, especially if prior SE iOS ports are indicative of the quality of this one.
Do you know of many stores where you can buy a new copy of the game for 15$ ?
Or maybe you would have preferred 5$ with IAP.
store.steampowered.com
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/
https://www.apple.com/itunes/
http://www.gog.com

Edit: Misread, thought you said "a" game, not "the" game. But, just because it's only available for $15 doesn't mean it's worth $15.

I don't buy games with invasive IAPs. I won't say I don't buy games that have any IAPs at all, but I've never used one before.

A single game coming out at this price point doesn't change anything, and is most likely detrimental to all parties involved. Less people buy and play it, SE makes less money than had they priced it at a more attractive point. The problem here isn't just the fact that games on the app store cost less than what they're worth, it's that so many of them cost less than what they're worth that the amount of low-cost choice makes pricing games "reasonably" a lose-lose situation.

I could buy five awesome iOS-native non-IAP games that are probably all at least as good as this game for the same price. Ridiculous Fishing, Out There, Wayward Souls, Dungeon Raid, Super Hexagon. Done, right off the top of my head. You can call me an ass for not wanting to pay what a game's "worth", but I'd say it's stupid to drop so much on a single game with the iOS market the way it is. That's the reality of the App Store, and even if there were consumer-based choices you could make to help change it, dropping $15 on a decades-old SE title wouldn't be one of them.

NolbertoS

Good ol SE misspelling Dragon Quest with Dargon. If its vertical orientation again, I'll pass. Couldn't stand it on DQVIII. If IOS doesn't move DQ sales out West, SE will never be bothered to port this again.

Syril

Whats party chat ?

At any time you can press a button and talk to the party. In Dragon Quest V on the DS, they would have something new to say after pretty much anything happened in the story or being taken to any new location or after talking to almost any NPC. This was actually the source of most of everyone's dialogue and character development.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not that I really have much interest in mobile games (especially those I've played so many times in the past) but I'm curious - did they re-translate the game or does this still have those over the top accents from the DS version?

wrowa

The screenshot and actual web page say otherwise (still a shit price btw), but I suppose I'll take your word for it.

New Zealand Dollars aren't US Dollars. It'll be 14.99 when it launches in North America. And how exactly is that a bad price? I gladly paid 40€ for the game when it came out on the DS, and now a third of that is a bad price?

I can understand that sentiment when voiced by casual gamers who only search for a quick fix, but I find this quite irritating when it's voiced by core games who are usually the first one's to discredit smartphones as a viable gaming platform - but then never actually give anything a chance that comes out on those platforms.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
At least (or at last?) Dargon Quest IV has party chat...

When this hits android I'm going to wait for impressions rather than blind buying like viii. What a waste of 20bux that was.

IIRC, DQVIII hit iOS and Android within a day of each other.

Square-Enix is inconsistent with their mobile port release dates. TWEWY took almost 2 years to come over to Android, most of the FF remakes were on Android (ranging from a few weeks to a few months) after their iOS releases, FF Tactics is on Android only in Japan, DQVIII, as you said, were almost same-day. It's tough to predict what SE will do in regards to Android.

Top Bottom