• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

J-Rzez

I have a '17 WRX and it's overrated and I absolutely would not buy one again. J-Rzez, you have the Focus RS, right? I was heavily considering one a few months back but I decided to wait. I want to check out the Civic Type R and an '18 Mustang GT first before I buy anything. I don't want to make another expensive mistake like I made buying this WRX.

What didn't you like about the WRX? I thought my 15 was a good, solid, fun, and useful car for its price range. Now keep in mind its significantly outclassed by the cars you mentioned though. I think its the best value for that price segment. Hit that mid-30 mark+, there are better options.

I love my RS. After all this time no issues and I enjoy getting into it each time. I got this because of its performance, AWD, and usability (hatch!). People claim its interior is dated, but coming from an Evo and WRX, I was shocked how solid its interior is. Plastics feel good for what it is (read:not euro luxury), stereo is solid, and its surprisingly quiet. Seats are love/hate for many so that's your call on your body type. You sit high, but that gives better visibility which I like. No rattles.

Ride quality, step up from your rex, but its not forgiving compared to the other 2 you mentioned. Now, I put on 245/40-18 pilot 4S on and it rides significantly better. The 35-19s were a culprit. I can tolerate track suspension mode on these PA roads now much of the time. Handling though, supreme. Its suspension and awd system put power down in ways I haven't experienced in any other awd turbo car. When I expect understeer with power down, the car dives INTO the line instead of pushing. Very few times did I get this the front to push.

Power is great. All over the band. Similar to your WRX, just more power and it doesn't fall off. My tune made the car a different beast all together, improved power and feel significantly across the board.

People say it's AWD is the most advanced, I agree compared to everything I've driven. There's a lot of trickery there, and it just grips. You have to really do something dumb to lose it. Its launch control is brutally effective, and with my newest tune I set its launch RPM to match the tune. No drama, no spin, it just goes. Now, I also have a RMM (rear motor mount) which helped its launch and shifting under power.

But that AWD launch... Sheesh.

Only issue found with the car is the head gasket. Some cars had machining errors, or had the wrong type of head gasket. Ford is fixing them when stock or tuned, they know its a flaw. But some of these cases I don't believe the car was broken in right, or is mercilessly beat on. But, we shall see. I'm just under 10K miles now. If it goes, Ford will put a new gasket on or replace the motor. The PTU leak has been tracked to early production models, and its more rare. Its pretty technical how the seal needs to be set, low tolerances. So if bad, people have issue if not fixed right.

I haven't had any issue thus far. The GT would be a fun car for the V8 and its sound, but they feel heavy. The CTR is new here, supposedly a great DD. Should be reliable, but guess its too soon to say. People say it's rather dull experience wise. Probably needs some tuning and a decent exhaust for drama experience. Id suspect its great, if you can get one without scumbag Stealerships mark ups.

My advice drive if you can. Mustang should be no issue, but dealerships are unfortunately leery with the RS and especially the CTR. If you lived near me id let you check out my RS. But, in all, love it. It has edge and drama, makes me feel like a car guy again.

Have you met Corvette owners? Delusional, older men who think their cars are Ferraris and Lambos. They throw the word exotic and supercar a lot.

Lots of things are "exotic" when you're the kind of guy that tucks t-shirts into jean shorts.

Corvettes? Exotic.
That good looking Indian woman down the street? Exotic (also maybe a terrorist).
That Chipotle that opened up next to Big Lots? Exotic.

matmanx1

I have a '17 WRX and it's overrated and I absolutely would not buy one again. J-Rzez, you have the Focus RS, right? I was heavily considering one a few months back but I decided to wait. I want to check out the Civic Type R and an '18 Mustang GT first before I buy anything. I don't want to make another expensive mistake like I made buying this WRX.

Oh wow, that's an opinion I have not heard often. What don't you like about it? I'm not a Subaru owner and I have no skin in the game but I would certainly be interested to hear your opinions.

That's a shame. I was going to look at an STI this weekend. Fell in love with a leftover 2016 Miata Club with BBS/Brembo package before I got there. That Mazda dealership was awesome, too. The most straight-up experience I've ever had buying a car. Salesman even thanked me for being organized and doing research ahead of time. Finance guy didn't give me any trouble sneaking in extras. They didn't even fuss over removing the dealer sticker. 10/10 would buy again. The only thing that sucked was driving the two hours home through bug central. Damn thing already needs cleaned.

Good to hear about the Mazda dealership experience. I have heard many good things about their dealer network and very little bad. I know that when I was looking for a Miata last year I called my local dealership and they were as nice as they could be. They only had an NC with an automatic transmission at the time so I didn't end up buying one from them but the salesman and I had a nice chat on the phone and I could tell he was a genuine enthusiast.

In other news my 130,000 mile 2004 Lexus GX470 is at the dealership getting a new dashboard installed. There were a bunch of Toyota and Lexus vehicles that got dashboards that were prone to cracking and melting from the mid 2000's and so Toyota extended the warranty on all of those vehicles. Mine has been on the replacement list for well over a year but I have no complaints about a brand new dash in my old Lexus.

The dealership gave my wife a 2017 NX20t as a loaner and it appears to be a very nice vehicle. I didn't have time to drive it as I had a busy evening but she said she liked it but couldn't see paying $40,000 for one. On that front, I think I agree with her.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Can't believe how good this thing looks style wise for an 11 yr old car. Truly classic looking.

80-img_2580_808b71534c4babba197fefdad7299bd6e1d03f79.jpg

Mid life crisis. Who needs such an impractical vehicle!?

lmao at that S2000 thread a month ago.

The Hellcat thread got locked the other day, and was even better. People were genuinely saying someone deserved death, physical punishment, and a few had no problems keying and damaging someone's car for having a loud exhaust.

These are also the same people who would never say shit to anyone in person and resort to bitch tactics, of course.

hwalker84

Mid life crisis. Who needs such an impractical vehicle!?

The Hellcat thread got locked the other day, and was even better. People were genuinely saying someone deserved death, physical punishment, and a few had no problems keying and damaging someone's car for having a loud exhaust.

These are also the same people who would never say shit to anyone in person and resort to bitch tactics, of course.
That thread was crazy to me. Especially as a Hellcat owner.

I remember the S2000 thread a while back where everyone was complaining about it. I haven't seen the Hellcat thread... Are people on NeoGaf really that against cars? The only exposure I've had to NeoGaf and cars is basically relegated to this thread.

ascii42

I remember the S2000 thread a while back where everyone was complaining about it. I haven't seen the Hellcat thread... Are people on NeoGaf really that against cars? The only exposure I've had to NeoGaf and cars is basically relegated to this thread.

There was a thread a bit ago where someone said that gas-powered cars are for Trump supporters.

J-Rzez

Its amazing stuff like that is passable, like threats against cops as well. Yet bans get thrown around for far lesser offenses. I was glad I got to partake in that thread while it lasted.

Remember a while back about people saying they were going to key and zip tie shopping carts to door handles of people who thought they were special parking far away from others? These kids here are such spineless punks they resort to tactics they won't get caught by the owners.

Rokk, your S2K is gorgeous.

AlphaSnake

There was a thread a bit ago where someone said that gas-powered cars are for Trump supporters.

There is a section of this forum that is so obscenely "liberal", that I'd consider them neo-liberals. Their behavior transcends all sorts of topics and it's sociopathic, infused with faux righteousness.

Cars? You're an asshole and selfish piece of shit ruining the world. Death to you.

Politics? If you present a coherent argument against their delusional liberal ideas. Death to you. How can people like you even exist!?!

Israel: A hot button issue. If innocent Israelis are murdered by terrorists, there is a coalition of the same 5-10 folk that're like 'Can't blame the terrorists. They're oppressed. This is how they handle it. Fuck Israel, so they deserved it'.

Don't conserve water by turning off the faucet every 5 seconds? You're a wasteful dick and/or piece of shit (I learned this one in the roommate brushing teeth thread).

Solar power? Stop being a dick by burning coal! And switch to solar right now. Yes, it costs $15K that you certainly don't have, but you'll be thankful you did it when you're poor!

Etc.

There is a section of this forum that is so obscenely "liberal", that I'd consider them neo-liberals. Their behavior transcends all sorts of topics and it's sociopathic, infused with faux righteousness.

Cars? You're an asshole and selfish piece of shit ruining the world. Death to you.

Politics? If you present a coherent argument against their delusional liberal ideas. Death to you. How can people like you even exist!?!

Israel: A hot button issue. If innocent Israelis are murdered by terrorists, there is a coalition of the same 5-10 folk that're like 'Can't blame the terrorists. They're oppressed. This is how they handle it. Fuck Israel, so they deserved it'.

Don't conserve water by turning off the faucet every 5 seconds? You're a wasteful dick and/or piece of shit (I learned this one in the roommate brushing teeth thread).

Solar power? Stop being a dick by burning coal! And switch to solar right now. Yes, it costs $15K that you certainly don't have, but you'll be thankful you did it when you're poor!

Etc.

Your post just inspired me to read through the Hellcat thread and all I can say is,"Wow". I can understand why people don't like others who make their car louder or take off mufflers and annoy people at early/late times of the day. But there are some comments that are borderline just hateful of motor vehicles in general.

Well, I admire electric cars and hybrid cars and see their place in the future, but I still enjoy a good old fashioned engine that revs and plays with the driver on country side roads. Makes me wish I bought a car with a manual shifter last time...

SummitAve

Banned

Etc.

Damn. You've really reinforced your persecution complex.

What didn't you like about the WRX?
What didn't you like?

Oh wow, that's an opinion I have not heard often. What don't you like about it?
The car is janky as fuck. It runs like shit due to the tune. The stock tune is hilariously bad. It rev hangs to the moon. The transmission and shifter is literally the worst I've ever used in any car. It feels like you are kayaking on rocks. Not to mention, the car is slow as hell. If you do a full clutch dump you will get a decent 0-60 due to the traction, but other than a full clutch dump it is slow. The FA20DIT is gutless. The car is not fun to drive. The stock radio is shit. The paint is shit (thin). I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

The car can be fixed if you mod it. However, in stock form, the WRX is a shitty car to drive. The jank in this car is ridiculous. The tune is downright embarassing.

Yikes, I missed this message, but wow at the comment that someone would make. I appreciate the history of automobiles and racing. On a personal level, it's just nice to have the hobby of driving and exploring. Before having a sports car, I never drove my car anywhere except work and errands. Now I find myself looking for excuses to drive even further.

hwalker84

The car is janky as fuck. It runs like shit due to the tune. The stock tune is hilariously bad. It rev hangs to the moon. The transmission and shifter is literally the worst I've ever used in any car. It feels like you are kayaking on rocks. Not to mention, the car is slow as hell. If you do a full clutch dump you will get a decent 0-60 due to the traction, but other than a full clutch dump it is slow. The FA20DIT is gutless. The car is not fun to drive. The stock radio is shit. The paint is shit (thin). I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.

The car can be fixed if you mod it. However, in stock form, the WRX is a shitty car to drive. The jank in this car is ridiculous. The tune is downright embarassing.

Damn about the WRX. Thought the 2018 I test drove felt pretty good.

I went with the Mazda CX-5 Touring.

This is one of the reasons I wanted a god damned manual....

The wife immediately was like "Thanks for my new car...."

Damn about the WRX. Thought the 2018 I test drove felt pretty good.

I went with the Mazda CX-5 Touring.

This is one of the reasons I wanted a god damned manual....

The wife immediately was like "Thanks for my new car...."
If you read some of the changes to the 2018, you will notice "improved shifter feel". This is due to the 15-17 feeling like garbage. Subaru themselves are indirectly admitting this problem by saying this.

Like I said, all of the issues the WRX has can be mostly fixed. A Perrin shift stop and brass shifter bushings can be installed to help out with the slop and crunch of the gearbox. An Accessport with a stage 1 tune can remedy the jank that the stock tune creates. An axleback muffler delete will remove the GIGANTIC stock mufflers that make the car dead quiet from the outside. The upgraded factory Harmon-Kardon radio that comes in the Limited trim is a significant improvement over the stock garbage that comes in the base. The auto detailing subreddit can give tips on how to protect the paper thin paint.

Just make sure you have about $1500 set aside for the day 1 mods that I listed, and be prepared for a possible warranty battle if you get denied over having an aftermarket tune.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Let's not conflate politics with car views. The most egregious posters in both those threads are just idiots who don't have the capacity to understand that their world view doesn't reflect everyone else's.

AlphaSnake

Let's not conflate politics with car views. The most egregious posters in both those threads are just idiots who don't have the capacity to understand that their world view doesn't reflect everyone else's.

I agree.

And for whatever it's worth, I'm an independent with a down the middle approach. :p

This is all I had to read. Rev hang absolutely kills enjoyment of a car for me. Really any sort of delay programmed into an electronic throttle body on either open or close, but rev hang especially.

Cable throttles for life.

matmanx1

I had heard about the thin paint and the bad radio but some of those other things are fairly new to me. The transmission and shifter would probably be a deal killer for me as it was for the previous generation WRX.

If you read some of the changes to the 2018, you will notice "improved shifter feel". This is due to the 15-17 feeling like garbage. Subaru themselves are indirectly admitting this problem by saying this.

Like I said, all of the issues the WRX has can be mostly fixed. A Perrin shift stop and brass shifter bushings can be installed to help out with the slop and crunch of the gearbox. An Accessport with a stage 1 tune can remedy the jank that the stock tune creates. An axleback muffler delete will remove the GIGANTIC stock mufflers that make the car dead quiet from the outside. The upgraded factory Harmon-Kardon radio that comes in the Limited trim is a significant improvement over the stock garbage that comes in the base. The auto detailing subreddit can give tips on how to protect the paper thin paint.

Just make sure you have about $1500 set aside for the day 1 mods that I listed, and be prepared for a possible warranty battle if you get denied over having an aftermarket tune.

Wow, good to know. I remember stopping by my local Subaru dealer sometime back in 2011 or 2012 when I was looking to trade my Boxster and couldn't believe how bad the previous generation WRX's manual gearbox was. It actually reminded me of some of the manuals I've driven in small japanese trucks from the mid 2000's but with a shorter throw.
Needless to say I didnt go back for a second test drive.

Well to be fair... Scooby's main business is making dump trucks after all. So I'm not surprised lol.

It's a shame to hear these comments though, the WRX is at the top of my list but I think I might have to temper my expectations now.

Anyone else find the R8 spyder to be unappealing? That car just turns me off on the R8 completely.

Sorta.

I prefer the 1st gen R8's more compared to the new ones but I'm probably just disappointed that you can't get a V12 with a stick anymore lol.

Akim

Banned
I'm trying to decide between a 2014/15 Cayman Base or a 2014/15 Jaguar F-Type Coupe Base. I like the sound and look of the Jaguar, but I've heard the Cayman is a bit more fun to drive and a bit faster.

Any thoughts?

What recommendations do people have for home/car security? I want to deter thieves from pinching my car, without having to hide keys to the car, locks, doors etc. as they could wake me up at night to find them.

I had an attempted break in earlier in the week at early hours of the morning, but woke up and spooked them.

I've upgraded locks and bought extra internal locks. Bought a floodlight/camera to cover the driveway. Have also started using the house alarm at night too. I do leave the keys out upstairs on the landing in plain view so if they do make it up despite the alarm, they still won't have to confront me.

I live in the UK so no (easy access) firearms to protect myself/property! I'm considering garaging it but it's my daily so would prefer not to.

rokkerkory

I'm trying to decide between a 2014/15 Cayman Base or a 2014/15 Jaguar F-Type Coupe Base. I like the sound and look of the Jaguar, but I've heard the Cayman is a bit more fun to drive and a bit faster.

Any thoughts?

Tough call here... cayman you can't beat in terms of driving dynamics but f type is more rare.

GHG

Any thoughts?

Test drive both and decide. The Cayman is the more trackable car whereas the F-Type is arguably more of a GT car.

Depends on what you want.

golem

F type if you want to cruise and hang out with old people at wine bars

Cayman if you want to hit the canyons and hang out with old people at race tracks

Both very good cars

Any thoughts?

2014 F type only comes in convertible. I really think you can't go wrong with either one though. Jag sounds amazing with active exhaust, Cayman handles like a dream and has more storage space for weekend getaways. If you can stretch it, go for the S models for both of these cars.

Blitzhex

Got this car for the engine and the sound and because the hatchback version was a year's wait away, but now the shape and lines are slowly growing on me. The front end always looked killer though.. this is its most unappealing angle.
The new rear lights look really sweet though, forgot to turn em on in this pic.
What's surprising is that this shape is supposedly more aerodynamic than the tt-rs's and is actually faster at higher speeds.

It attracts w204 c63s like flies. I'll always have one tailgating me or honking at me because I'm turning into a parking lot instead of messing about on the road lol.

Last edited:

golem

Got this car for the engine and the sound and because the hatchback version was a year's wait away, but now the shape and lines are slowly growing on me. The front end always looked killer though.. this is its most unappealing angle.
The new rear lights look really sweet though, forgot to turn em on in this pic.
What's surprising is that this shape is supposedly more aerodynamic than the tt-rs's and is actually faster at higher speeds.

It attracts w204 c63s like flies. I'll always have one tailgating me or honking at me because I'm turning into a parking lot instead of messing about on the road lol.

Awesome, more pics please!

matmanx1

Any thoughts?

My first thought is "I would like to be in your situation!"

But seriously, I don't think you could really go wrong with either car and with a car like that it really should come down to what appeals to you most when you are actually driving it. I haven't driven the 981 Cayman but the 987 is one of my most favorite rides, ever. The Jaguar is sex on 4 wheels and someday I will drive one but I haven't gotten there yet.

Either way, good luck and let us know how the search goes.

Wondering if I can get anyone's advice for my fiance. She's looking to get a new vehicle. She's undecided but mostly because she's not sure what's the better deal.

The first car is Toyota Camry 2016 with 43,000 miles $15,500 and the other is a 2016 Ford Fusion with 44,000 for $13,600.

Would appreciate any feedback.

golem

Wondering if I can get anyone's advice for my fiance. She's looking to get a new vehicle. She's undecided but mostly because she's not sure what's the better deal.

The first car is Toyota Camry 2016 with 43,000 miles $15,500 and the other is a 2016 Ford Fusion with 44,000 for $13,600.

Would appreciate any feedback.

If you can list exactly which model (ex. Camry V6 SE) they are I can tell you the average price the dealers are paying for that car so you know how much negotiating room they have to work with. Probably can go down a thousand or two on each

Any thoughts?

I've driven both, I ended up choosing the 981 Cayman.

Short story: I love both. I picked the Porsche Cayman because it is more practical.

Long story: I think the Jaguar F Type is one of the best designed sports car ever. It looks absolutely gorgeous and stands out way more than the Porsche 981/991 models. It's way more dramatic because of the sound it makes. However, I think the Porsche Cayman was more livable. The Jaguar F Type would've been for myself and the Porsche Cayman was for my mom. I ended up choosing the Cayman for my mom last year. I've since got a Porsche Boxster 987 model and a new Porsche Cayman 718. Why? Because they handle like dreams on track, mountain paths, countryside roads...and they are livable every day. I've been able to shop at grocery stores, malls, and even Home Depot with these cars. Of course, I've taken them to work as well on a daily basis.

If you have any questions about these cars, just PM me. Good luck with your decision! You honestly can't go wrong with these cars.

I've driven both, I ended up choosing the 981 Cayman.

Short story: I love both. I picked the Porsche Cayman because it is more practical.

Long story: I think the Jaguar F Type is one of the best designed sports car ever. It looks absolutely gorgeous and stands out way more than the Porsche 981/991 models. It's way more dramatic because of the sound it makes. However, I think the Porsche Cayman was more livable. The Jaguar F Type would've been for myself and the Porsche Cayman was for my mom. I ended up choosing the Cayman for my mom last year. I've since got a Porsche Boxster 987 model and a new Porsche Cayman 718. Why? Because they handle like dreams on track, mountain paths, countryside roads...and they are livable every day. I've been able to shop at grocery stores, malls, and even Home Depot with these cars. Of course, I've taken them to work as well on a daily basis.

If you have any questions about these cars, just PM me. Good luck with your decision! You honestly can't go wrong with these cars.

In Norway right now with my 986 and, after finally spending some time on deserted and twisty mountain roads, can confirm that, even the old car, has exceptional handling and mind blowing levels of grip.

rokkerkory

Might go with these wheels guys: Enkei RPF1s in black... I know they are common but whatever. They are strong and lighter than stock, plus inexpensive!

15655180768_6394b8ba12_b.jpg

GHG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-L8DdwQgys
rs3 sedan does 0-100 kph 3.7s. 4.1 is official. This new aluminum block engine is much more tune-able as well. Would love to see some stage 1 or 2 numbers.

Stop, you're making me jelly.

Did Al Naboodah say if they are getting more allocation this year or are they special order only for now? I'm still annoyed at the fact that we won't be getting the new TT RS here. The last model didn't sell here basically so they are taking the stance of "there is no point". Sucks.

Have you had it dyno'd yet?

Blitzhex

Stop, you're making me jelly.

Did Al Naboodah say if they are getting more allocation this year or are they special order only for now? I'm still annoyed at the fact that we won't be getting the new TT RS here. The last model didn't sell here basically so they are taking the stance of "there is no point". Sucks.

Have you had it dyno'd yet?

I think the special orders for the sportback just opened or is about to open, should be 8 months to delivery. Sedan is probably one batch next year, but might want to check up with them on that.
Not 100% on the TTRS situation, its just something the salesman told me in passing.

They've got a pre facelift rs3 for test drive and probably the facelift one now too, go check em out.

Top Bottom