• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott's Prometheus Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc Streitenfeld's doing the music... but looking at his IMDB credits I don't see anything that really stands out as far as his direct composition work.
He's worked with Ridley a bunch of times, which is good, but I just don't see any eye-popping (or, uhh, ear-catching) work there.

For those of you that have seen The Grey- how was the music?

Goldsmith's music in ALIEN was so damn important to me for the overall mood. I hope Streitenfeld emulates it so there feels like some kind of strand of connection aurally.

I dunno if this has been posted already, but iv just seen this image on a website which is quite interesting.

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/File:PrometheusDiscovery.jpg

Slightly spoilerey but they are all from the trailer.

Posted before, but every time I see that I'm sad. Im sure it will still be cool, but the idea of the Space Jockey seems way less mysterious now.
Has Ridley Scott's explanation of the connection between Alien and Prometheus been posted?

Spoilers!

http://io9.com/5888385/ridley-scott-may-have-explained-the-connection-between-alien-and-prometheus

Theres no way thats the only connection as we have seen the
Space Jockey's chair, helmet/head
etc so I'm holding out for a xenomorph somewhere in the film.

Zeliard

The only connection? That has to be a straight up lie.

Haha there's no doubt. Ridley is amusing with his insistence that there's no overt connection. Clearly an attempt to try and keep some element of surprise, though I can't imagine anybody would be surprised given Prometheus' visual style. Giger's work on Alien is pretty iconic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It says: Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

I wish this got quoted more, I spit up my scotch
LLShC.gif
that's 24 year old scotch too you son of a bitch.

I'm also re-watching Alien (for the hundreth time) and I'll have to agree the Space Jockey suit definitely looks like it's growing with the user over time. So they look pretty basic like those "statues" from the screen cap, but steadily the ship (creature inside) takes over and it changes everything from there.

Zeliard

I'm also re-watching Alien (for the hundreth time) and I'll have to agree the Space Jockey suit definitely looks like it's growing with the user over time. So they look pretty basic like those "statues" from the screen cap, but steadily the ship (creature inside) takes over and it changes everything from there.

Scale still seems a little weird. The Space Jockey in Alien was gigantic, like 30 feet tall (according to the screenplay), so it's going to be odd if it's smaller humanoids in biomechanical suits, though I guess that'd be odd either way. :p

Bloated fossilized carcass grafted onto the ship, or continuity error?!

In this pic it seems pretty large in size though:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GTE67jOjkyo/Ttby2f8ghkI/AAAAAAAAAN8/ArNMU7osJcA/s1600/dead_sj.jpg

GhaleonEB

Scale still seems a little weird. The Space Jockey in Alien was gigantic, like 30 feet tall (according to the screenplay), so it's going to be odd if it's smaller humanoids in biomechanical suits, though I guess that'd be odd either way. :p

Bloated fossilized carcass grafted onto the ship, or continuity error?!

In this pic it seems pretty large in size though:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GTE67jOjkyo/Ttby2f8ghkI/AAAAAAAAAN8/ArNMU7osJcA/s1600/dead_sj.jpg

That pic looks about the right size, compared to the one in Alien. And yeah, it seems clear Scott is trying hard to downplay the connections now, even though the trailer made some of them pretty explicit.

Over the past couple weeks I've watched Alien twice on Blu-Ray, first without commentary and then with Scott's 1999 commentary. In it he comments that he wanted to go back and make a prequel about the origin of the ship; I had no idea he'd been talking about this for so long.

The direction and visual design on Alien is still simply stunning. Even more so after watching (most) of the documentary with the Blu-Ray set and seeing the shit Scott had to put up with from the producers.

Zeliard

That pic looks about the right size, compared to the one in Alien. And yeah, it seems clear Scott is trying hard to downplay the connections now, even though the trailer made some of them pretty explicit.

Over the past couple weeks I've watched Alien twice on Blu-Ray, first without commentary and then with Scott's 1999 commentary. In it he comments that he wanted to go back and make a prequel about the origin of the ship; I had no idea he'd been talking about this for so long.

The direction and visual design on Alien is still simply stunning. Even more so after watching (most) of the documentary with the Blu-Ray set and seeing the shit Scott had to put up with from the producers.

Yeah that stuff is a treat. And one of the best parts about Prometheus is that Ridley Scott's got his sci-fi muse back and screaming in his ear.

"Right. I just thought Prometheus was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to Blade Runner, too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a Prometheus 2."

Don't care if he's underplaying the connection, I ain't reading those spoilers.

Yeah that stuff is a treat. And one of the best parts about Prometheus is that Ridley Scott's got his sci-fi muse back and screaming in his ear.

"Right. I just thought Prometheus was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to Blade Runner, too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a Prometheus 2."

For a long time it was questionable if he'd ever do any more science fiction and now it's like he's so enthusiastic about the genre that he can't stop, I love it!

alphaNoid

Banned
Getting this close to release I'm considering a full media blackout. I never do that either but I'm getting scared to come into these threads and read something I would rather experience on the big screen.

Do I need some kind of IV drip or something to get through the withdrawls?

Zeliard

For a long time it was questionable if he'd ever do any more science fiction and now it's like he's so enthusiastic about the genre that he can't stop, I love it!

The Blade Runner thing kinda concerns me because that movie is basically perfect as-is and doesn't really need another story, but if anyone can do justice to another one then it's Ridley Scott.

If nothing else the visual flavor will be very high, and it's much better that Ridley is doing it than some middling director hand-picked by Hollywood execs to do some Blade Runner reboot, or something dreadful of the sort.

Getting this close to release I'm considering a full media blackout. I never do that either but I'm getting scared to come into these threads and read something I would rather experience on the big screen.

Do I need some kind of IV drip or something to get through the withdrawls?

I'm doing the whole blackout thing with Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity. Too late for Prometheus, I'm afraid. :p Not much info has been released but it seems so obvious where the plot is headed with the tidbit of info we do have that I hope Ridley and company threw several curve balls in there.

I'm still seriously considering skipping the second trailer if there is one. This is one modern epic I want to go into as unspoiled as possible.

The Blade Runner thing kinda concerns me because that movie is basically perfect as-is and doesn't really need another story, but if anyone can do justice to another one then it's Ridley Scott.

If nothing else the visual flavor will be very high, and it's much better that Ridley is doing it than some middling director hand-picked by Hollywood execs to do some Blade Runner reboot, or something dreadful of the sort.

I totally agree and I don't think he should even play with the idea of trying to get Ford again as he hinted at in an interview (I'd be amazed if Ford would even consider since he hated BR but he did Cowboys vs Aliens, Ford is wildly unpredictable for what he finds acceptable).

Back in September I was able to experience Blade Runner for the first time ever via the Blu Ray director's cut that my brother bought. We watched it on his new 65 inch LED, it was mind blowing. I'm still floored at how advanced that film looks for being made in 1982. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." Wow.

Daft_Cat

Posted before, but every time I see that I'm sad. Im sure it will still be cool, but the idea of the Space Jockey seems way less mysterious now.

Even if they're on the right track..there's still something that doesn't quite make sense.

If you rewatch the original Space Jockey scene from Alien, it's obvious that the man standing by the chair in the Prometheus trailer is a lot larger than a regular human. The scale's off, and I doubt it's a continuity error. Lends a bit of credibility to the whole "Gods of man" angle that was rumoured a while back.

Edit. Someone's mentioned it already. Glad I'm not the only one!

Marc Streitenfeld's doing the music... but looking at his IMDB credits I don't see anything that really stands out as far as his direct composition work.
He's worked with Ridley a bunch of times, which is good, but I just don't see any eye-popping (or, uhh, ear-catching) work there.

For those of you that have seen The Grey- how was the music?

Goldsmith's music in ALIEN was so damn important to me for the overall mood. I hope Streitenfeld emulates it so there feels like some kind of strand of connection aurally.

Goldsmith's Alien score was all about the atmosphere, which thankfully seems to be Streitenfeld's style as well. That's probably why not a lot of his work stands out. In my experience, his music is a lot more moody than bombastic. That's how it was in The Grey, as well. He'll probably mesh really well with Ridley on Prometheus.

ezekial45

Banned
TED Talk 2023, by Peter Weyland

http://blog.ted.com/TED2023/

Peter Weyland has been a magnet for controversy since he announced his intent to build the first convincingly humanoid robotic system by the end of the decade.

Whether challenging the ethical boundaries of medicine with nanotechnology or going toe to toe with the Vatican itself on the issue of gene-therapy sterilization, Sir Peter prides himself on his motto, “If we can, we must.” After a three year media blackout, Weyland has finally emerged to reveal where he’s heading next. Wherever that may be, we will most certainly want to follow.

That was the absolute shit. Hype reaching maximum levels.

Edit: "Conceived and designed by Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof and directed by Luke Scott."

That's pretty goddamn neat.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
'...and if you'll indulge me, I'd like to change the world"

Quite possibly the coolest mixture of reality and fantasy

Isn't his voice kind of overdone? I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on it. <3 Pearce though, I know he'll be fantastic.

Two things I'm thinking about (could be spoilers):

Weyland must survive.
Is Fassbender an android?

SpacLock

Weyland TED was awesome.

Ridley Scott lying about the Prometheus/Alien connection was not. If that's true, then apparently he's ripping off his own late material.

GhaleonEB

Isn't his voice kind of overdone? I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on it. <3 Pearce though, I know he'll be fantastic.

Weyland must survive.

I'm guessing, yes and yes. Both seem like no-brainers.

TED talk was great. Very sharp marketing.

FoneBone

Weyland must survive.

Latter has been confirmed for a while now. For the former,
it's supposed to be a fairly small part, I don't think he's actually a member of the crew in the movie

Zeliard

Weyland TED was awesome.

Ridley Scott lying about the Prometheus/Alien connection was not. If that's true, then apparently he's ripping off his own late material.

I don't think it's anything malicious at all. He's clearly just trying to keep more of the obvious Alien tie-ins on the down low, which is fine (though I question just how big a surprise it would be to most people). Remember that Lindelof wrote this shit. That guy is all about keeping everything hidden until, well, never, in the past, but hopefully there's actually something cool there now. :p

Latter has been confirmed for a while now. For the former,
it's supposed to be a fairly small part, I don't think he's actually a member of the crew in the movie

Could Weyland
be an Android in the future? Maybe the first fully synthetic being with Weyland's consciousness transfered into it?

What year does Prometheus take place in?

andycapps

Here's hoping Pearce gets a good chunk of time in the film as well. One of the most underused actors working today.

Around the time of the Counte of Monte Cristo and Memento I figured he'd be one of the next big names. He definitely deserves more time, but I think he's been keeping busy with indie movies. May partially be out of choice of not trying to get bigger roles that often.

Around the time of the Counte of Monte Cristo and Memento I figured he'd be one of the next big names. He definitely deserves more time, but I think he's been keeping busy with indie movies. May partially be out of choice of not trying to get bigger roles that often.

Yeah must be his choice to stay away from the bigger roles. Definitely that. Couldn't be the fucking huge bomba called The Time Machine.

Anyway - Youtube version of the viral video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxdx4Qd-_yg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The movie kind of has a lot to live up to after filling the shoes made by that video.

Guy Pearce is so fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom