• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

My first LotR buys are Gandalf Arrives, Shelob Attacks, Attack on Weathertop, and Mines of Moria, just to get all of the Fellowship. I might pick up Helms Deep, too, but I think I'm going to wait a little bit. I'll get Helms Deep and the Uruk-Hai Army sets a little later in the Summer, in August or September. But damn, I have hype. TRU.com is listing the Helms Deep set now, and the pictures they have of it are really making me question my ability to wait.

Watching that Moria review, I love the exposed brick pieces that I THINK are new for LotR. Those will be great in some medieval MOCs.

Same, I'll pick up all those first ones you mentioned to get the fellowship, and think a bit on the uruk-hai army, orc forge and helms deep.

Really tempted to bricklink another 7 Nazgul though to make the 9...but maybe they'll release more sets with them in down the line...a Fell Beast would be rad.

Christian

Same, I'll pick up all those first ones you mentioned to get the fellowship, and think a bit on the uruk-hai army, orc forge and helms deep.

Really tempted to bricklink another 7 Nazgul though to make the 9...but maybe they'll release more sets with them in down the line...a Fell Beast would be rad.

I really hope this line does well, and the theme doesn't tank like PotC. As with Pirates, I think these initial sets are nice, but they also leave out so many iconic scenes that could be really well done. Prancing Pony, anyone? That would net us a few more Nazgul. Flight to the Ford? Yes, please. Amon Hen? That's just from the Fellowship (if we're going by movies). My mind nearly melts at all the possibilities.

ghostmind

I really hope this line does well, and the theme doesn't tank like PotC. As with Pirates, I think these initial sets are nice, but they also leave out so many iconic scenes that could be really well done. Prancing Pony, anyone? That would net us a few more Nazgul. Flight to the Ford? Yes, please. Amon Hen? That's just from the Fellowship (if we're going by movies). My mind nearly melts at all the possibilities.

I think that the Pirates license suffered from "On Stranger Tides" not being that good, which I am hopeful will not be the case with The Hobbit movies. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PotC line make a return when Pirates 5 & 6 are being released.

Man, I'm struggling to see how there's close to 800 pieces in the Mines of Moria set. Crazy.

Tiny pieces add up.

I think that the Pirates license suffered from "On Stranger Tides" not being that good, which I am hopeful will not be the case with The Hobbit movies. I wouldn't be surprised to see the PotC line make a return when Pirates 5 & 6 are being released.

I think LOTR stuff will do well. I just hope that the quality of the sets increases after the initial batch. A dream would be for it to take off and we get UCS style sets.

Holy, christ! That is nuts. Doing a $5-10 markup on a set that big is a tax, but not TOO crazy. But to increase the price 25%? That is just insane. And they will still sell out because most people do not know.

I'd happily take Toys R Us' price over the 120AUD I'm seeing at my local dealer; and that's probably cheaper than RRP.

Kangaroos am cry.

wetwired

yeah I hope it hangs around like star wars, so many set opportunities, hobbiton? gandalf vs balrog? the great eagles? oliphants? minis tirith? and the minifigs? wormtongue, sauron, saramon, the mad king (can't remember his name) eomer, eowyn...

diddily

darkwing

yeah I hope it hangs around like star wars, so many set opportunities, hobbiton? gandalf vs balrog? the great eagles? oliphants? minis tirith? and the minifigs? wormtongue, sauron, saramon, the mad king (can't remember his name) eomer, eowyn...

diddily

you forgot Arwen

I didn't realize he kept making books. I bought the Book of Genesis and The Ten Commandments years ago, and they have been sitting on a shelf in my dining room completely mint and barely leafed through. The first book seems to be selling for an awful lot for a near-mint copy.
Holy shit, I didn't expect to see you in here! I think he finished to Revelation a while ago. I've never read most if it either, but it's pretty neat. I didn't even know he printed books.

Seanbob11

What are the chances that the A-Wing will be getting a re-release sometime soon? I just built up my Y-Wing and I want an A-Wing to go with it. Don't know if I should wait or bite on Ebay...

What are the chances that the A-Wing will be getting a re-release sometime soon? I just built up my Y-Wing and I want an A-Wing to go with it. Don't know if I should wait or bite on Ebay...

I imagine it is only a matter of time. I really want one myself, I am hoping for a updated version at some point.

wetwired

My bricklink minifig order showed up today finally, most of the avengers plus some batman ones...

minifigs.jpg

You're looking at $110 worth of minifigs :(

I'm gonna order the capt america, loki's escape and wolverine chopper set in a week or so to get the hulk minifig and complete the avengers.

I really need to take a picture of all the batman minifigs I have, I must have nearly 10, most from the first batman wave. I've got Batman Inc in minifig form

My town hall set turned up earlier this week as well, a month exactly after it was shipped from germany, haven't had a chance to start building it yet though, maybe tomorrow.

People with R2D2: Are you having problem with the central leg not going down far enough? Whenever I put it into tripod mode, its always a half inch away from the ground, is it supposed to be doing that?

Isn't that how R2 works? He kind of tilts forward in the movies. My assumption was that it was so it would tip over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
THis was my donkey attempt I posted earlier in the thread:

Actually I replaced that three by two piece on his head with a two by two and added two white studs at the front for teeth.

So to get the minifigure fellowship at the minimum you'd need:

9469 ($13)
9470 ($20)
9472 ($50)
9473 ($80)

At least $160+ in Lego sets with an extra Frodo in the mix...hmmm...

So they can sell us an Amon Hen or Breaking of the Fellowship set. Lurtz in full armor, bearing the White Hand on his head.

Complete with Aragorn decapitating him action.

I think I need to marathon the extended versions again. It's been a couple of years. Never knew Lurtz had a name.

I dunno about these sets though. I'll probably wait till a sale. I'm not going to display them so it would just be to build and dismantle.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So..

- pet shop + town hall
Or
- pet shop + R2D2
Or
- something else (quinjet maybe)

the sensible thing would be to save some money for the haunted house later in the year, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

judhudson

Actually I replaced that three by two piece on his head with a two by two and added two white studs at the front for teeth.

I'd love to see the updated pics for this. I may just have to dig thru my collection and build one. This is great!

MjFrancis

Holy shit, I didn't expect to see you in here! I think he finished to Revelation a while ago. I've never read most if it either, but it's pretty neat. I didn't even know he printed books.
Yeah, in addition to being big on fitness, video games and MMA I've got a little collection of LEGO bricks I've been slowly collecting over the past few years in hopes of making a good custom theme set. I haven't followed through just yet, but that hasn't stopped me from procuring enough bricks and minifigs over the years for my wife to refer to it as a "problem."

This happens when you sell a great collection in your youth and yearn to rebuild something similar as an adult. :p

chimster

So..

- pet shop + town hall
Or
- pet shop + R2D2
Or

the sensible thing would be to save some money for the haunted house later in the year, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Do you have any other modular sets? If not I would go with pet shop and town hall

Fantomex

Great donkey bro. I might have to do one from scratch as well :)

ghostmind

So..

- pet shop + town hall
Or
- pet shop + R2D2
Or

I would go Pet Shop & R2-D2 to give you some variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom