• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Team and Sega - some insight from a disgruntled employee.

Cheerilee

Segata Sanshiro said:
You are so damn weird.

But I still love you.
Your love is too great. Hate something. Hate Nintendo. Hate Wii. C'mon... you know you want to. It'll be just like the good old days. And then we can twist your hatred into a hatred of Sega. Mua ha ha!

FoxSpirit

GrotesqueBeauty said:
The article says the guy was a "Game Evaluator" and an "Admissions and Recruitment Executive" at Sega Europe. It's all well and good that he had foreknowledge of some themes in the next Sonic game (something you might expect of a "Game Evaluator"), but that doesn't make him an authority on all of Sega's internal dealings, particularly when he's talking about matters not even taking place within the same division of Sega, or even on the same continent for that matter. We can confirm the Sonic unleashed info because the game has been released, but the same can't be said of the NiGHTS stuff. Like I said before, there is nothing outside of a single blog post to corroborate his version of events, so while it's interesting as speculation and conjecture it should ultimately be taken with a grain of salt.

You honour, while you are, by and large, right, I'd like to raise this point:

This statement assumes that my client is lying.
*presents original post: http://web.archive.org/web/20070408161400/http://bossrush.blogspot.com/2007/03/nights-2.html *

But why would my client make such an elaborate and long lie, going as far as adding to the post in the comments section?

2)By the time of TGS last year there were playable ROMS on X360 and the general response to the code was not positive. At this stage the directors questioned the X360/PS3 SKUs and suggested that Wii may be a better choice. Iizuka-san was against this because it would mean reigning in certain aspects of his design, but nonetheless Sega Studio USA (AKA Sonic Team USA) drew up a comparison doc for Wii and X360/PS3 version pros and cons. The summary of this was that they could produce a quick Wii version by FYO8 (2007) and then go onto a different version of NiGHTS 2 on X360/PS3 for FY09 (2008). By different I mean, different like Sonic The Hedgehog on X360/PS3 was a completely different title than Sonic Wii.

I think my client has supplied ample evidence to be "in the knows"... or that he is great at making stuff up, stuff like:

...before they release another Sonic game with a transforming Evil 'Night' Sonic who looks like a werewolf and can stretch his arms out Dhalsim-style. It will happen, mark my words.

I want you to believe me that this man has indeed spoken truthfully and can therefore be taken as a reliable source of information.

*returns to attorney's seat*

FoxSpirit said:
You honour, while you are, by and large, right, I'd like to raise this point:

This statement assumes that my client is lying.
*presents original post: http://web.archive.org/web/20070408161400/http://bossrush.blogspot.com/2007/03/nights-2.html *

But why would my client make such an elaborate and long lie, going as far as adding to the post in the comments section?

I think my client has supplied ample evidence to be "in the knows"... or that he is great at making stuff up, stuff like:

I want you to believe me that this man has indeed spoken truthfully and can therefore be taken as a reliable source of information.

*returns to attorney's seat*
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2903218

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
You are so damn weird.

But I still love you.
Don't say that! Then he'll think he's weird and will become one of those people who play too their weirdness. The best weird people are oblivious to their weirdness.

There's an exact science at play here, respect it. :p

GrotesqueBeauty said:
There are an awful lot of people taking all this at face value. What happened to GAF's healthy sense of skepticism? There's nothing that corroborates what's being said about Journey of Dreams yet people are attaching all sorts of significance to it as though it were fact, then labeling their own hasty conjecture based on a few lines from some dude's blog as "near certainty". What's more, Famistsu published rumors about NiGHTS Wii an entire year before the blog entry being cited, and more than half a year before this guy claims development for the platform began.

So why are people treating this as gospel all the sudden? Could it be that they're more willing to accept rumors and speculation uncritically when it reinforces their already existing opinions on a subject? The article is an interesting glimpse into one guy's scattershot observations and largely second hand accounts, but some of you are gleaning way too much from a few tidbits of unsubstantiated information.

What do you mean, though? I'm the one who wrote the article there. As far as I'm concerned, it all checks out.

• You got this guy who says he has a "unique perspective" on the game industry. He purposely tries to remain anonymous, though.
  • He makes a blog post where he perhaps says a little more than he should have.
  • A month later, he torches all of his posts and abandons ship.
  • Because his posts are gone, nobody notices that he basically told us about Sonic Unleashed over a year before it went public
  • At some point, a Robots.txt file is set up to try and deny his blog from being archived, but the one post - the most important post, survives.
  • Years pass, and for some reason, the guy posts his full name and updates his blogroll (most likely using his blogger account to comment elsewhere).
  • Somebody digs up one of his old blog posts and notices the hint to Sonic Unleashed
  • Since he later gave his real name (Ben Andac), verifying where he worked is a snap, and indeed, he worked for Sega Europe at one point.
  • Upon my posting the article about the archived blog and what it said about Sonic Team, Ben Andac removes his bossrush.blogger.com blog completely and entirely.

I'd say having prior knowledge of Sonic Unleashed (his comment was way too specific to be a guess) more than confirms this guy's identity, and he has profiles on places like Mobygames, LinkedIn, etc. He was a Sega Employee and was in a position that would have given him the ability to speak to members of SonicTeam.

What's there to be skeptical about? The Paper Trail speaks for itself and you can follow it just as I did. There is no "I theorize he did this" - this is, as far as I can tell, the gospel straight from the horses mouth.

diffusionx

Gold Member
These shitty Sonic games sell, though, so Sonic Team will keep putting them out. The reason Eidos killed off Core's Tomb Raider work was not just because of the tired nature of the franchise - Eidos gladly kept the gravy train running while they were pumping out one game a year on the PSX. No, they gave the franchise to CD when Angel of Darkness arrived late, over budget, and in terrible condition. The game got awful reviews and sold terribly. Not even the hardcore Lara Croft fans bought into it.

Sonic, on the other hand, is a cheap series to make and has a large base of hardcore Sonic fanboys that will buy every Sonic game day one no matter how shitty they know it will be. Until that stops happening, Sonic Team will keep churning out these awful games.

diffusionx said:
These shitty Sonic games sell, though, so Sonic Team will keep putting them out. The reason Eidos killed off Core's Tomb Raider work was not just because of the tired nature of the franchise - Eidos gladly kept the gravy train running while they were pumping out one game a year on the PSX. No, they gave the franchise to CD when Angel of Darkness arrived late, over budget, and in terrible condition. The game got awful reviews and sold terribly. Not even the hardcore Lara Croft fans bought into it.

Sonic, on the other hand, is a cheap series to make and has a large base of hardcore Sonic fanboys that will buy every Sonic game day one no matter how shitty they know it will be. Until that stops happening, Sonic Team will keep churning out these awful games.

Exactly.

Accept mediocrity and you will continue to get mediocrity.

And Sonic fans accept a lot less than mediocrity, believe you me.

Sadist

Yeah, well it's one thing that the game switched platforms (that was common knowledge... right?) But it's unacceptable that Sega rushed the team to develop it for Wii within a year without an acceptable budget. Boo-urns.

More Sonic daytime levels like in Unleashed please.

Wow, that's interesting about NiGHTS 2. It must really suck to find out that not only do you have to retool your game to run on much weaker hardware, but you only have a year to do it. Not to mention implementing features that take advantage of the Wii's interface.

Sega1991 said:
What do you mean, though? I'm the one who wrote the article there. As far as I'm concerned, it all checks out.

Did you write the original posts at GHZ, or the article at tssznews.com? Either way, its some awesome investigatory work, and thanks for your efforts! I agree that all the evidence adds up.

Have been looking at the reaction around the dark corners of the internet, namely Sega's Official Board. The denial, the rage and the pain is strong there (especially from about page three onwards)...:

Seriously, I could tell you that my cousin worked for Sega 7 years ago, and that he predicted that there would be a "Dark" version of Sonic with a gun, and he would have his own game. xD

It's ONE person saying Sonic Team doesn't care about Sonic. I fail to see how that proves anything whatsoever.

Seriously, Sonic is not dead, and there's no proof the creators don't care about him.

JUST because he was telling the truth about the werehog doesnt mean he was also truthful about the Being bored part.

Has anyone even suggested the possibility of all this being coincidence?

RavenFox

Banned
Diablos said:
Despite all of the stupid things Sega has done and will continue to do, they have at least partially redeemed themselves with one of the best games released in the past ten years or so:

103czrr.jpg

I still can't believe they made this. In the back of my mind I still sometimes think it's by Square, tri-Ace, Atlus, etc. etc. But, no, it's from the team that was once AM1.
So true

So Sonic Team are bored to death despite adding non-Sonic mechanics to their games consistently? Additionally, those parts are described as the worst parts of the game, usually.

Davey Cakes

The basic problem with this has NOTHING to do with the Wii. The technical limitations themselves have no connections to why NiGHTS: JoD was a mediocre/bad game. It's merely the shift of development that caused problems.

The secondary problem comes from Sonic Team's development itself. JoD's biggest criticisms stemmed from the same problems that we see in a lot of Sonic Team's games. That is, questionable design choices. Splitting a game into different parts, and only having one of those parts be worth a damn to the game itself. Unleashed was the same way, including two separate gameplay aspects, and having only one of them favorable to fans.

People who have brought up "cutting the fat" have the right idea here. Sega pretty much said that constructing a full game worth of the daytime levels in Unleashed would take too long, would take too much money, and would be "too hard." A lot of this is because Sonic Team's putting too much effort in the unnecessary detail included in these levels. If they had just maybe taken presentation and level design concepts from, say, a game like Super Monkey Ball, there wouldn't be nearly as much issue with creating a game full of pure Sonic levels, especially in HD. Just have strips of land, with obstacles, and include a dynamic background or something. Done. Hell, Sonic Team actually pulled something like this off with their Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2.

A similar action could've been taken with NiGHTS, even under the constraints that switching platforms created. Instead of injecting the game with some of the needless bullshit that we saw, which would've been incorporated into the X360/PS3 version anyway, why couldn't Sonic Team just "cut the fat" and release a pure, gameplay-driven NiGHTS game? If they really wanted to make good with the fans, they would've done this, priced the game cheaper, and then made a judgement on a potential sequel (either for Wii or for X360/PS3) from the sales, rather than give us what they did and judge the potential for a sequel based on that.

Only Sonic Team lets Sonic Team down, really.

Sadist said:
No, if you're quick the game would be over in three hours. Sega thinks players want a more "meaty" experience.

Fixed that for ya.

3 hours of bliss is always better than 3 hours of bless spread out thinly in a 40-hour game with 37 hours of shit gameplay, hub levels, collect-a-thon crap and lame cutscenes.

Mama Robotnik said:
Did you write the original posts at GHZ, or the article at tssznews.com? Either way, its some awesome investigatory work, and thanks for your efforts! I agree that all the evidence adds up.

The article.

diffusionx

Gold Member
SonicMegaDrive said:
Fixed that for ya.

3 hours of bliss is always better than 3 hours of bless spread out thinly in a 40-hour game with 37 hours of shit gameplay, hub levels, collect-a-thon crap and lame cutscenes.

That's true, but its a simple fact that world travels fast about a game's length, and people are on the internets saying "will rent, lolz" about 10 seconds after someone else says they beat game X in 6 hours. Look at Mirror's Edge. It's maybe the worst word-of-mouth a game can get. I'm not saying Sonic Team has done a good job of lengthening their Sonic games, I'm simply saying they have a point.

Or they could always add replay value in speedruns and unlockables. Or bring back the chaos emerald thing. Make it easy to beat, but difficult to beat the right way.

But aside from that, I was gazing over people's coments over at the SOA forums, and even on this one - really, is all of this really such a revelation?

It has been obvious for years that Sonic Team's employees have been getting tired of making Sonic game after Sonic game. Y'know, there is a reason they keep trying different experiments with the gameplay.

The proof has been in the pudding for a long, long time. And because of this one guy's blog, people are like, "*Sniff*, Sega doesn't love me anymore...".

Sonic fans, Sega stopped loving you years ago.

You needed this for a confirmation of that?

Really?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SonicMegaDrive said:
Fixed that for ya.

DICE tried just that with Mirror's Edge. It's a fairly short game that is difficult to master and offers a lot of incentives to continue playing the game well beyond the "story mode". Yet, it was met with tons of criticism for its length and difficulty. People approached it as if a single playthrough was all the game had to offer and judged it based on that.

dark10x said:
DICE tried just that with Mirror's Edge. It's a fairly short game that is difficult to master and offers a lot of incentives to continue playing the game well beyond the "story mode". Yet, it was met with tons of criticism for its length and difficulty. People approached it as if a single playthrough was all the game had to offer and judged it based on that.

Mark my words: Mirror's Edge 2 will sell better.

It didn't underperform because of these boneheads' reviews.

It underperformed because it's a new IP. Over time, people will slowly discover the game, and interest will rise.

It's all about how they decide to time the release of the sequel. (IE. Don't release it too soon, like Katamari)

SonicMegaDrive said:
Fixed that for ya.

Naw, I look at it as a pick your poison type of thing, as either way, the game would get dissed heavily. A perfect 3 hour Sonic game would get at least 2 points taken off in reviews for being too short for $60. The 40 hour version would have all that extra fluff to pad out the time, only that fluff is not allowed in a Sonic game and/or Sega's devs are not good at creating that fluff in their action games. Where's the middle ground? Who the fuck knows.

The review industry and the shitty console fanbase that'll listen to them is a huge contributer to this I think. Those are the people who must have every game be 40 hours long (on its first run through) to be worth it at full price (instead of a solid 3 hour game with tons of replayability). So many people don't even finish games even on GAF, and they wonder why. I know I don't even have time for games anymore.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Zen said:
The problem with that is it would bomb. Look at Revo. :\
Not if they release it in arcades first and trumpet it as a stock car racer. NASCAR is still big in the US, you know...

I would say SEGA should leave sonic alone for a few years now for main games, give DS and PSP rights out to someone for a game or two maybe but yeah SEGA do need to just leave him alone untill they cam muster up some amazing game like Sonic deserves.

But that's not going to happen with all the time they spent (i'm guessing) on the hedgehog engine, they will want to use it a few times so we may be stuck with unleashed like games for a while yet.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Or they could always add replay value in speedruns and unlockables. Or bring back the chaos emerald thing. Make it easy to beat, but difficult to beat the right way.
YES! how I would love to see the classic method of two endings, one with and one without all the chaos emeralds that are not a set story routine to collect like they have been in adventure 1,2, heroes etc. Shadow the hedgehog did something like the classic with the way you finish a level but i'd prefer the return to special stages personally.

BlackClouds said:
Naw, I look at it as a pick your poison type of thing, as either way, the game would get dissed heavily. A perfect 3 hour Sonic game would get at least 2 points taken off in reviews for being too short for $60. The 40 hour version would have all that extra fluff to pad out the time, only that fluff is not allowed in a Sonic game and/or Sega's devs are not good at creating that fluff in their action games. Where's the middle ground? Who the fuck knows.

The review industry and the shitty console fanbase that'll listen to them is a huge contributer to this I think. Those are the people who must have every game be 40 hours long (on its first run through) to be worth it at full price (instead of a solid 3 hour game with tons of replayability). So many people don't even finish games even on GAF, and they wonder why. I know I don't even have time for games anymore.

Yeah, like Dark10x pointed out, that was much the case with Mirror's Edge.

It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Make the game 40 hours long, and barely anybody bothers to finish the game. Make the game too short, and people will say, 'Rental-Only'.

Once and for all, it should be decided that some people like long games, and some people like short games. The length of a game does not dictate the overall quality of a game, as long as the package comes complete with good replay value. And a game that is fun to play(meaning: Fun gameplay) will always have great replay value.

Professional reviewers should all take note of this. The game experience does not end just because the credits are rolling. Or at least, that's not how a good game should be designed.

Balb

If they want to pad the game, at least use the Chao Garden from SA2B and flesh it out a bit. They can even keep the knuckles/rogue style stages if needed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah, like Dark10x pointed out, that was much the case with Mirror's Edge.

It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Make the game 40 hours long, and barely anybody bothers to finish the game. Make the game too short, and people will say, 'Rental-Only'.

Once and for all, it should be decided that some people like long games, and some people like short games. The length of a game does not dictate the overall quality of a game, as long as the package comes complete with good replay value. And a game that is fun to play(meaning: Fun gameplay) will always have great replay value.

Professional reviewers should all take note of this.

This is the truth, but the problem is that pro reviewers are morons, and a lot of gamers listen to them anyway. I seriously remember Game Informer dissing a shmup for being super short - of course it wasn't Ikaruga, because GI at its cold blackened heart is just a vacuous hype peddler, but still we can see how entrenched this is.

Sonic Team has to work in the industry, so they still have to deal with this. I doubt anyone, including themselves when they lay awake at night, think their solution to this conundrum is ideal. It's entirely possible that a bold, beautiful, old-school Sonic game, will have these people, the same people that have been asking for a "Back to basics" Sonic game for 5+ years, ignoring the shortness, but it's not like Sonic Team have given this theory a chance in the marketplace.

The werehog stages are nice once you power up sonic a bit, but they could have done with a few less stupid pit jumping segments and maybe keeping a little more speed so it's not such a huge jump from running at 700+ kph down to crawling speed with combat, that's my thought anyway.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Calcaneus said:
The only way Sonic Team can redeem their selves is to hire Itagaki for the next Sonic game.
You're not the "Amy's cunt" guy, are you? If so, you'd get your wish :lol

Davey Cakes

SonicMegaDrive said:
Sonic Team pretty much did this with Sonic & the Secret Rings. Well, minus the chaos emeralds. I spent thirteen hours on that game just unlocking the challenges. Achieving gold or even silver medals in all of those said challenges would extend the game even further.

SSR was pretty darn faithful to the "pure Sonic" ideal that fans today seem to want. The game merely has some flaws here and there. But hey, at least the entire game follows one favorable gameplay concept instead of following two gameplay concepts with only one of them being favorable.

abstract alien said:
The classic sonic games were great at the time, but they havent aged well at all.
Bubububuwhat?

Anyways, Unleashed was fairly decent (best non-handheld Sonic game since SA2 in my opinion), NiGHTS Wii was fairly decent. Neither were anywhere near as good as they could've been if ST didn't insist on shoehorning unnecessary stuff into the gameplay, but hey.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SonicMegaDrive said:
Fixed that for ya.

If you can S-class ALL Sonic day stages in those 3 hours you are a really incredible gamer :).

Panajev2001a said:
If you can S-class ALL Sonic day stages in those 3 hours you are a really incredible gamer :).

No no no

S-Classing the stages is part of the replay value.

The 3 hour marathon would be merely 'beating' the game ;)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SonicMegaDrive said:
No no no

S-Classing the stages is part of the replay value.

The 3 hour marathon would be merely 'beating' the game ;)

And "beating" Sonic Unleashed is really beating Sonic Unleashed ;)?

Is it S-classing it beating it or is just reaching the end of the game's story beating it :D?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think something drastic needs to happen with sonic and fast. The game sells still by merit of its name, but even that has lost its sheen. My cousin has bought every game from dreamcast on, until unleashed. He bought sonic next gen and didn't even bother to finish it due to how many times glitches ruined it for him.

I don't get why Sega can't outsource the next Sonic game to a less tired team like Dimps or Treasure.

What would be the harm? Sonic Team is an external studio anyway so it wouldn't be any different. Have Treasure make a Sonic game with like twelve levels, and have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles be the playable characters. That's what Unleashed was rumored to be, anyway.

Aaron Strife said:
I don't get why Sega can't outsource the next Sonic game to a less tired team like Dimps or Treasure.

What would be the harm? Sonic Team is an external studio anyway so it wouldn't be any different. Have Treasure make a Sonic game with like twelve levels, and have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles be the playable characters. That's what Unleashed was rumored to be, anyway.

I dunno about Dimps. They do good with the Sonic Rush games, but their work on Sonic Unleashed Wii apparently wasn't very good.

Sega1991 said:
I dunno about Dimps. They do good with the Sonic Rush games, but their work on Sonic Unleashed Wii apparently wasn't very good.
I've heard people prefer some Dimps levels and some Sonic Team levels.

The main problem with the Wii version seems to be its heavier leaning towards the Werehog stages. I'm willing to bet that Sega expected the Wii version to sell better, and since the Werehog is the main thing that sells the game (in their own warped reality), the better selling version has more Werehog content.

I'm sure they would do fine if left to their own ambitions. Werehog, after all, was a Sonic Team concept.

Top Bottom