• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World - Gamescom Impressions

TheOasis

I give you one good reason why the axe mode is better than sword mode in switchaxe

The infinite swing chop. That shit looks fucking badass and that is a good enough reason.

I'll infinite swing chop whenever there is chance. Monster fell down? Fuck the explosion sword finisher, just swing chop that fucker to oblivion.

Have you seen the new Sword mode attacks that they've added in MHWorld? As you said yourself the infinite axe swing is only truly viable when when the monster has fallen down: It's situational. Not to mention that at this point it's just a vestigial addition from MH4. I personally wanted some new moves for axe mode in MHW that were good enough to be a part of the Switch Axe's optimal play style in more than one situation. I guess it wasn't meant to be this time around.

Syril

Finally. So no fire and reload anymore?

No the quick reload is still there on the movelist after firing. In fact it seems to be possible after every single attack now, and when he did it at the beginning of the video it reloaded all 5 shells.

Akainu

No the quick reload is still there on the movelist after firing. In fact it seems to be possible after every single attack now, and when he did it at the beginning of the video it reloaded all 5 shells.

I see it now they changed it up. I'm so excited I'm keep missing shit!!!

Defuser

You switch back to axe after the burst if you mean that.
He is refering to the fact that the switchaxe is able to switch from axe to sword while attacking and vice versa but Arekkz didn't show it. You can tell when the monster fell he let the sword mode revert back to axe mode by itself because the phial ran out but in actuality you can revert back to axe before the phial ran out to continue the dps attacks instead of waiting a few seconds to revert.

I really like the heat gauge for the Gunlance in Generations, but I won't miss it in World. The weapon is so fun for me regardless. Looks really great in this! I love all the new stuff. And, man, those meaty sound effects for it. Capcom nailed the sound design for the weapons.

Shengar

Switch Axe has always been "Switch Sword with Axe-themed bonus features" since it was first introduced in MHTri. Sword mode has had so much more better damage output than Axe mode in nearly every game that veteran players mostly just ended up using Axe mode to reload so they can go back to using Sword mode again. MHGen gave you the means to reload in sword mode thus players no longer had a reason to even touch Axe mode anymore.

The only exception to this is the "Brave Style" Switch Axe in MHXX. Here, not only does the axe mode have the best move for quickly filling up your brave gauge but once you're in brave mode using Axe mode allows you to chain evades together which is something that you cant do in Sword Mode. Did I mention that the main DPS combo uses both sword AND axe attacks? This is recent proof that Capcom can make Axe mode useful if they want to (either that or it's a fluke).

After seeing the MHWorld in depth switch axe video it seems that Axe mode has been relegated to mediocrity again while Sword mode gets all the buffs and new moves. Axe mode stays losing....
True, however pre-MHGen SA Axe mode feels integral to the weapon flow. You will run out of phial charge no matter what and you'll eventually switch to Axe that have better mobility at the cost of damage. The change is small and looks insignificant, but there's this weak-to-strong flow to the weapon that makes it unique even in the face of CB in MH4U. In MHGen however, with arts that lets you to use Sword mode for longer time, it breaks that flow. Even worse they remove Axe mode forward poke for combo entrance on non-Guild style which makes that mode essentially cumbersome.

I don't have problem "Switch Sword with Axe-themed bonus features" because the original name of the weapon is Switch Sword after all. What's important is to keep that "switch" in the name rings true, not making the user gravitate only towards one mode (which is why I don't like MHXX change to axe mode by making it stronger).

Defuser

Oh Lordy, looking at Arekkz Gunlance video I can see a few combos to it.

Stab stab shoot backstep repeat.
Stab stab shoot backstep repeat slam ,side wipe and stake.
Stab stab stab slam, shell blast.
Stab stab stab slam, Wyvern blast.
Stab stab stab slam, side wipe.
Stab stab stab slam, side wipe and stake.

Gunlance shouldn't be label as heavy weapon, its a goddamn technical weapon and I fucking love it.

TreIII

Away on business, so I'm just getting caught up on all the goodness revealed.

Insect Glaive looks INSANE. And I like that Glider Mantle, too! Now, I'm left wondering what other kinds of over-the-top abilities some other mantles have, and what you gotta do to get 'em.

Qvoth

can't watch the video with sound, can someone explain why sometimes the gunlance has the energy bar thing glowing yellow? on the weapon itself, not on the weapon icon under your hearlth bar afaik

can't watch the video with sound, can someone explain why sometimes the gunlance has the energy bar thing glowing yellow? on the weapon itself, not on the weapon icon under your hearlth bar afaik

Using the wyvern-stake attack (impale a stake into the monster) overheats the weapon.

Kyoufu

I'm going Hunting Horn as "main". Groups will fucking love me and send me friend requests all the time. I will be the most popular Hunter in all the land.

I'm going Hunting Horn as "main". Groups will fucking love me and send me friend requests all the time. I will be the most popular Hunter in all the land.

A party without a HH is not a good party. Reminds me of Bard in FFXI which is probably why I love playing it.

Plus them KOs

For a game with a focus on streamlining and helping newcomers I'm surprised they didn't keep the guard point visuals of the CB from MHX and it's back to being an invisible mechanic like MH4.

TheOasis

True, however pre-MHGen SA Axe mode feels integral to the weapon flow. You will run out of phial charge no matter what and you'll eventually switch to Axe that have better mobility at the cost of damage. The change is small and looks insignificant, but there's this weak-to-strong flow to the weapon that makes it unique even in the face of CB in MH4U. In MHGen however, with arts that lets you to use Sword mode for longer time, it breaks that flow. Even worse they remove Axe mode forward poke for combo entrance on non-Guild style which makes that mode essentially cumbersome.

I don't have problem "Switch Sword with Axe-themed bonus features" because the original name of the weapon is Switch Sword after all. What's important is to keep that "switch" in the name rings true, not making the user gravitate only towards one mode (which is why I don't like MHXX change to axe mode by making it stronger).

Lets take MHGen out of the picture considering that axe mode was non-existent in that game.

When players are solely using axe mode to reload their sword gauge and, only use sword mode attacks because it's the best way to play the weapon: that's a design failure. What's funny is that the original japanese name for the weapon is Slash Axe. What's the point in having a concept for a transforming weapon, two in one, if one mode is objectively superior in almost every way and the other can mostly be ignored entirely? Having slightly better movement speed in Axe mode doesn't make the mode worth using either because in sword mode you can just roll to cover distance or if the monster moves far away you just put your weapon away and run to it.

Capcom just doesn't know how what to do with axe mode, I mean, they tried to balance both weapon modes in MH4 by nerfing the hell out of the sword mode motion values, slightly buffing axe mode values and giving it the infinite chop combo. What did this achieve? Switch Axe went from being one of the best weapons in MH3U to one of the worst in MH4. Check out this weapon tier list for MH4U based on speed run data if you don't believe me: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/72936200

MHWorld's Switch Axe seems just like how it was in MH3U where the sword mode is OP and the axe mode is painfully inferior to it.

While you're not wrong on the whole, it does come with the caveat of expectations. As you get deeper into the game, people will start to make demands on what you should use and how you should play. If you wanted to start a mission with a horn without Negate Stamina, Dual Blade users especially would throw some colourful language your way, or just leave the room. I've not encountered toxicity maining any other weapon, so it's probably worth noting.

I might actually try hunting horn now that you can put song notes and corresponding buttons/colors in the HUD.

Courtesy of Reddit
That is kind of ugly looking, but it's a necessary evil. I often used to use the horn with my phone out, so I could have a glance at the songs on there. I can't help but notice the infinite sign next to the capture net too. If that's used for trapping, that seems like a huge deal?

Man what kind of hunting horn user doesn't even know his own songs?!

I guess that's still pretty cool.
If you choose the right horn for the mission, you'll be swapping a lot. It's unreasonable to keep 'em all memorised. Especially early on when you're still learning.

Lets take MHGen out of the picture considering that axe mode was non-existent in that game.

When players are solely using axe mode to reload their sword gauge and, only use sword mode attacks because it's the best way to play the weapon: that's a design failure. What's funny is that the original japanese name for the weapon is Slash Axe. What's the point in having a concept for a transforming weapon, two in one, if one mode is objectively superior in almost every way and the other can mostly be ignored entirely? Having slightly better movement speed in Axe mode doesn't make the mode worth using either because in sword mode you can just roll to cover distance or if the monster moves far away you just put your weapon away and run to it.

Capcom just doesn't know how what to do with axe mode, I mean, they tried to balance both weapon modes in MH4 by nerfing the hell out of the sword mode motion values, slightly buffing axe mode values and giving it the infinite chop combo. What did this achieve? Switch Axe went from being one of the best weapons in MH3U to one of the worst in MH4. Check out this weapon tier list for MH4U based on speed run data if you don't believe me: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/762804-monster-hunter-4-ultimate/72936200

MHWorld's Switch Axe seems just like how it was in MH3U where the sword mode is OP and the axe mode is painfully inferior to it.

IMO Capcom know they failed with the design of the SA and Charge Blade is their fixed attempt at a morphing weapon. My first idea to fix the SA would be to remove the manual phial recharge and you'd have to recharge sword move by hitting with axe mode but that's already the flow of the CB.

Man, all those people saying how having a more open world would mean less variety in a area must be looking foolish.

A lot of the people who rushed to badmouth this game when it was announced are looking foolish. Comes to no surprise that a lot of them haven't shown up in this impressions thread.

Sayad

Not sure what you mean, Arekkz 10min CB in depth video shows the CB is back to MH4 style. No visuals on guard point, UED after shield thrust, etc

https://youtu.be/AoGn9vSVv6I?t=226

I meant showing them in actual gameplay compact, my post was a response to the general CB GP conversation not your post specifically.

For special effects though, they may not be done with that yet.

That hummer sliding move looks very spammable, lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWu5L8iLdwg

Top Bottom