• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has switch met the checklist to attract 3rd partys?

MoonFrog

Even this seems to vary by title though. For example, the follow-up to Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (a Vita game with a later PS4 port) isn't coming to Switch, and other Vita/PS4 titles still seem to be following this pattern (The Lost Child, Tokyo Xanadu, Danganronpa, Legend of Heroes, etc.)

A few exceptions like Fate, Dragon Quest, and Puyo Puyo Tetris stand out, but Switch still has a ways to go before it can even brag about the sort of 3rd party support the Vita had. On the inside front though, I'd say it's more or less already there.

I don't think Switch will ever get all the Japanese support it "should" get, i.e. all console support that depends on (or could really use and get) more domestic sales than it can achieve on PS4.

As for small PS ecosystem JRPG companies:

I doubt we see Falcom on Switch, although they have expressed interest (in having someone else bring their stuff over, presumably). NIS and Gust seem to be getting on board.

As for core 3DS partners:

It is picking up good support from SE. Dragon Quest looked to be shifting to PS4/Vita from 3DS for a couple years now, and that has shifted over PS4/Switch going forward. Tokyo RPG factory is now on Switch. Project Octopath Trailer is going to continue the Bravely Default line of support on Switch. The fact that they are even suggesting they may want FFXV in some form on Switch is suggestive of them looking into even the tightest fit and sort of SE support that seems least likely.

Atlus is at least continuing SMT on Switch. We'll see what happens with Etrian Odyssey. We'll also see if Nintendo picks up support in terms of a hypothetical P5P or not. But we do know Atlus will be on Switch.

I think we can also believe that SEGA will continue to put out at least Sonic on Nintendo systems.

Capcom is obviously disappointing. They seem to have thrown their lot in with PS4 being more successful in Japan and/or Nintendo being unable to succeed the 3DS successfully. It does seem that they are transitioning Switch into their future plans, but they are clearly slower at doing so than, say, Dragon Quest, which also was going PS4 over 3DS/3DS successor at first. We'll see if there is a new portable Monster Hunter in 2019+. I'd imagine the second team is probably working on such.

Level 5 is another traditional partner that is a bit of a question mark right now. They are in-between cash cow franchises and sluggish in their mobile endeavors.

Namco and Koei Tecmo are both present with their Nintendo games. We'll have to see how much Switch figures in their releases beyond that.

NolbertoS

If your referring to Take Two, Rockstar, CD Projekt, EA, Sega and Activision-Blizzard, than I say no, they'll wait and see how other games do (eg Fifa, Skyrim) before they throw some more scraps to Nintendo

If third parties are going to try out a Nintendo platform, this is the time. Wii had a great install base, but it was hard for non-Nintendo games to garner a audience, despite them trying to work within the platform's limitations. Wii U was a clusterfuck all around and outside companies pulled out super quick since they were working with dated hardware and a small install base.

Switch has weaker hardware than its contemporaries, but it seems like a lot of the games on it have a pretty decent sell rate (at this super thirsty period) . So go with low-investment tests, and if they work out, continue with the smaller games that hardware specs are not as much of a issue.

Abylim

Still too early, but I don't see a lot of third parties jumping on board. Western ones especially.
It's a hybrid console, would have yet another version of the game to develop for, and third parties don't seem to consistently sell well on Nintendo hardware.

I would very much like all of them to jump on board however. The Vita isn't getting any love, so I need a new portable console dammit.

Fukuzatsu

I don't think Switch will ever get all the Japanese support it "should" get, i.e. all console support that depends on (or could really use and get) more domestic sales than it can achieve on PS4.

As for small PS ecosystem JRPG companies:

I doubt we see Falcom on Switch, although they have expressed interest (in having someone else bring their stuff over, presumably). NIS and Gust seem to be getting on board.

As for core 3DS partners:

It is picking up good support from SE. Dragon Quest looked to be shifting to PS4/Vita from 3DS for a couple years now, and that has shifted over PS4/Switch going forward. Tokyo RPG factory is now on Switch. Project Octopath Trailer is going to continue the Bravely Default line of support on Switch. The fact that they are even suggesting they may want FFXV in some form on Switch is suggestive of them looking into even the tightest fit and sort of SE support that seems least likely.

Atlus is at least continuing SMT on Switch. We'll see what happens with Etrian Odyssey. We'll also see if Nintendo picks up support in terms of a hypothetical P5P or not. But we do know Atlus will be on Switch.

I think we can also believe that SEGA will continue to put out at least Sonic on Nintendo systems.

Capcom is obviously disappointing. They seem to have thrown their lot in with PS4 being more successful in Japan and/or Nintendo being unable to succeed the 3DS successfully. It does seem that they are transitioning Switch into their future plans, but they are clearly slower at doing so than, say, Dragon Quest, which also was going PS4 over 3DS/3DS successor at first. We'll see if there is a new portable Monster Hunter in 2019+. I'd imagine the second team is probably working on such.

Level 5 is another traditional partner that is a bit of a question mark right now. They are in-between cash cow franchises and sluggish in their mobile endeavors.

Namco and Koei Tecmo are both present with their Nintendo games. We'll have to see how much Switch figures in their releases beyond that.

I think looking at it by dev/publisher is a decent approach, and as you say Namco and Koei-Tecmo are more or less on board (at least to the extent they are putting out some Musou/Sangokushi/Nobunaga's Ambition stuff)

If you ask me, the real test for K-T's support will be to see if Switch gets a version of DW9, especially after Vita got a port of DW8. Dead or Alive is probably out of the question, but hey, who knows.

The things that seem like they are a bit lacking still are mainly on SE's side and Atlus to a lesser extent. Sure, Switch is going to get Octopath Traveller, DQXI, and some form of FFXV, but that's hardly on par with what PS4 has and will be getting (since they have the best versions of both games available right now), so let's see where they go with that.

For Atlus, they're still putting stuff towards the 3DS and Vita (DEEP Strange Journey and P3/P5 Dancing), and even SMT5 seems to have signs pointing to a multiplatform release, when last generation mainline entries were exclusive to the 3DS.

As for Capcom...Well, I think that horse is dead enough already.

JordanN

Banned
Pro and Scorpio say they will wait more than 2 years at least

These consoles only targeted the hardcore. Anyone who wants to play the latest 3rd party can do so fine with a base PS4/Xbox1.

There's nothing to stop both a PS4 Pro and PS5 being sold at the same time.

D.Lo

These consoles only targeted the hardcore. Anyone who wants to play the latest 3rd party can do so fine with a base PS4/Xbox1.

Lol there is no way Sony/MS will ask their hardcore fans to buy a $400-500 upgrade console then launch a new gen in 2-3 years. People would be pissed.

Platy

Aaaaaaaand who are the first ones to make the jump to the next generation ?

Fiendcode

indies were onboard immediately, Japan's currently transitioning over and the west is probably waiting to see how the test trinity (FIFA, NBA 2K, Skyrim) do this fall/holiday.

Top Bottom