• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final predictions for how Mario + Rabbids will turn out! What are you hoping to see?

Neiteio

What does that have to do with this thread, beyond your opening 'I'm not interested in it really'?

I suspect it'll get an MC in the 80s range, have good word of mouth, and some buyers will be fooled into thinking it is a Nintendo developed game - thus giving the game more sales. I think it will launch strong and have steady sales throughout the remainder of the year and serve as a good holiday purchase. Sales are tough to predict, but I could see the first month topping 300k in the US. I've guesstimate in the range of 1.5-2m sales WW by year's end, as I don't believe the game launches in Japan this year.
Hey Nate, I imagine you and the other reviewers already have copies, right? But I bet you also can't comment on it. Do you know when the review embargo is?

NateDrake

Hey Nate, I imagine you and the other reviewers already have copies, right? But I bet you also can't comment on it. Do you know when the review embargo is?

Code has gone out (at least in NA). Review embargo: Monday 28th, 5:00 a.m. PDT. I'll have video coverage up on YT next week once the embargo lifts.

What does that have to do with this thread, beyond your opening 'I'm not interested in it really'?

I suspect it'll get an MC in the 80s range, have good word of mouth, and some buyers will be fooled into thinking it is a Nintendo developed game - thus giving the game more sales. I think it will launch strong and have steady sales throughout the remainder of the year and serve as a good holiday purchase. Sales are tough to predict, but I could see the first month topping 300k in the US. I'd guesstimate in the range of 1.5-2m sales WW by year's end, as I don't believe the game launches in Japan this year.

I think someone said Japan gets it in February. I agree it will sell very well and score in the 80's. I think mid 80's to little bit over.

Pepboy

I hope this game is great. I have it pre-ordered and will be playing it like the rest of you next Tuesday.

But I can't shake this feeling that this game will get....boring after awhile. Like, the first few hours will be great, but the game will run out of fresh ideas rather quickly and the last 10-15 will be a slog. Man, I hope I'm wrong.

Somehow I think you are right. I think for me it might be the limited player characters and fixed stages instead of xcom death and roguelike.

I'm going to guess a Metcritic of 85. It looks great and I just hope it can stay interesting throughout.

As for sales, I think it can do 2-3 million, but it really depends on if we see the Ubisoft type price cuts. If so, it could see even more sales with Mario and Rabbids on the cover. I am a little disappointed I haven't seen any marketing though.

Mory Dunz

I suspect it'll get an MC in the 80s range, have good word of mouth, and some buyers will be fooled into thinking it is a Nintendo developed game - thus giving the game more sales. I think it will launch strong and have steady sales throughout the remainder of the year and serve as a good holiday purchase. Sales are tough to predict, but I could see the first month topping 300k in the US. I'd guesstimate in the range of 1.5-2m sales WW by year's end, as I don't believe the game launches in Japan this year.

300k would be pretty close to splatoon 2 numbers though (retail at least). So I'm not quite sure. Hopefully it will

I agree with the other points. But you gotta go high 80s or low 80s for your MC prediction. Just 80s is way too easy (unless something is wrong with the game)
I'll say 82-84.

Machina

Banned
88 - 92 metacritic range, reviewers will incessantly comment about how a game with Rabbids in it has no business being this good

Ubisoft approached Nintendo with the Mario x Rabbids because they love Mario. They didn't just slap it on there.

I mean yeah i get that and not that they would say its slapped on but i just don't see why this a mario game for any reason other than to sell more copies. That doesn't i know what their intention was its just the way i feel. When i see the gameplay.
The mario and luigi rpgs still feel like mario to me, this doesn't.you dont have to agree with me.

mas8705

If anything else, if we only have 8 playable characters, that's fine, but I'd like to see more if at all possible. Would be fun to see if there can be more Rabbid Mario characters alongside with actual Mario characters.

Hell, what they could do is if they introduce more characters, if making new dialogue for the Mario characters is too much work, make characters like "Rabbid Wario" "Rabbid Waluigi" "Rabbid Daisy" "Rabbid Rosalina" and so forth.

Honestly, Just want to be blown away by this game since it definitely has done the best job out of any game to grab my attention when there was none to be had.

Neiteio

I mean yeah i get that and not that they would say its slapped on but i just don't see why this a mario game for any reason other than to sell more copies. That doesn't i know what their intention was its just the way i feel. When i see the gameplay.
The mario and luigi rpgs still feel like mario to me, this doesn't.you dont have to agree with me.
For me, part of the joy of this game is seeing the Mario series' familiar visual language warped into something surreal and new by way of the Rabbids. In that respect I think the Mario license is being put to good use.

Camjo-Z

I just hope characters like Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, etc who are usually snubbed from RPG spinoffs get to make an appearance somehow, even if it's in Rabbid form like DK.

I'm hoping it allows a bunch of variety in the possible character builds to make up for the default path being pretty easy.

84 on metacritic sounds plausible.

Mory Dunz

I see what you mean. The Mario rpgs felt like (so far underutilized) real expansions to the Mario universe.

This is a different angle, but still looks good.

84%
The best Mario RPG since TTYD (but not as good as TTYD)

BiS weeps

Lady Gaia

It looks too good to be true, but I have it preordered and am looking forward to finding out for myself. I expect it to be charming but with its share of flaws. The overworld in particular looks like it might be a bit dull, but I still expect to enjoy the heck out of it. Mid 80s seems like a reasonable expectation for reviews, with an outside chance of 88-89.

I think it's going to be a pretty good game. It seems to have a non-verbal comedic charm similar to that of a Lego game. It seems to make good use of the Mario universe while also implementing the infamous Rabbids into the story and gameplay in a way that makes them enjoyable.

I'm definitely going to give it a shot (probably at Christmas time--too many games).

I'm expecting to like it but I'm afraid it will either be too short or content incomplete. Considering I don't expect there to be much in the way of story/campaign content I hope the mechanics are deep enough and there are enough game modes to justify playing the game for a while. The best thing about XCOM:EU was the sheer variety of maps and enemies and how that drove new gameplay scenarios, the worst thing that can happen for this game is it lacks enough content to keep you playing. If it does have a lot of content though, I can easily see this being my new Civ V.

I expect low 80s for meta score for the former scenario, up to 92 for the latter scenario.

Since GAF is always wrong, I'm guessing this will bomb and earn a low meta critic score. Plus, it's an Ubi Soft game. You know it'll be half assed in some way. The gameplay looks pretty shallow anyway.

NateDrake

300k would be pretty close to splatoon 2 numbers though (retail at least). So I'm not quite sure. Hopefully it will

I agree with the other points. But you gotta go high 80s or low 80s for your MC prediction. Just 80s is way too easy (unless something is wrong with the game)
I'll say 82-84.
Low 80s is my guess. 80-83 on MC.

Sardello

It should be a niche game for its mechanics... but the "casual sauce" of Mario+Rabbids will let it sell.

I don't expect very high scores in the reviews (75-80) mainly because I think the game is neither fish nor fowl with too many compromises in order to attract a wider range of gamer types: a very simplified X-Com with some "not challenging" exploration sessions.
Too much focus on "humor" and I expect a repetitive, not so deep gameplay.

TrutaS

I hope it has a good variety of areas to explore, and some actual exploration elements not just run-battle-run-battle. I think it looks pretty good, I'm getting if reviews are good.

carlsojo

Trying not to get my hopes up but it's looking pretty good. Can't decide if I want to bite or not.

I... can't finish XCOM 1 or 2 because they're too hard/and they frustrate me, so maybe this will actually be a better game for me.

I think it will be quite good, and land MC wise in the high 70s/low 80s.

What I'm personally worried about is a lack of variety. I love Xcom, but if all I ever did was going through turn based battle after turn based battle I would become bored much more quickly. A large part of the fun is the strategic element of builiding up your base between missions, and the sense of progression you get by upgrading your base and soldiers with new abilities and weapons.

Maybe the walking aroung parts of the game will fill that void. I haven't seen too much of this part yet. If it's literallt just walking around I'm a bit worried though.

sinonobu

Banned
I'm not sure if anyone posted this but the game's out in the wild now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...io_rabbids_kingdom_battle_copies_in_the_wild/

Poster's early impressions(?)

Also as things are right now I'm enjoying the game. Something about it feels kinda sloppy and unpolished in some aspects in the beginning but I feel like it gets better after the whole first tutorial part. And the gameplay both in battle and exploring seems engaging and fun so far.
also I found a hilarious glitch where if you put the system in sleep mode for a while and jump back in, the game spawns a ton of pollen all over the place for a few seconds before it all disappears. I'm guessing it's because in the first area pollen and stuff is always spawning in and out for a cool visual effect but for some reason when the system is sleeping the game continues spawning in pollen at the usual rate without taking it out. It doesn't seem to break the game since it only lasts a few seconds and the frame rate doesn't suffer too hard, but I have a theory I'd rather not test that if the system was left sleeping for over a day enough pollen would spawn in to crash the game, which wouldn't be quite a nice welcome back and might even damage the Switch, so Ubisoft might wanna fix that if they haven't already put a fix in a day 1 patch.

VanWinkle

I think it will be quite good with a delightful presentation and a fun battle system. I think maybe it will lack variety, and I wonder if they'll make the exploration aspect of the game worth it and feel like it deserved to be in there.

I'm predicting low to mid 80s.

Expecting an 85 on open/meta critic
20-30 hrs of gameplay
A fun time had by all
3 million in sells by years end (world wide)

20-30 hours of gameplay?! Damn man...those are some high numbers. Something tells me that the length of this game will be one of the things that hold people back from jumping in at 60$. I can easily see this being in the 10-15 hour range with a couple repayable modes or something. It just seems like a fast paced game all around.

That being said, I know nothing about it really. I was listening to the Bombcast today and Jeff seemed to hint at this game being good, but can't talk about it until next week. Brad asked him if he was playing anything "good" after complaining about Agents of Mayhem and Jeff laughed a "oh hell yeah" kind of laugh and then just said he can't talk about it. For some reason my gut told me he was probably hinting towards this game.

Platy

I am hoping to see Rayman as a secret character that is the super misterious rabbid hunter.

I even did a quick sketch of that ...

Top Bottom