• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Sweeney: Not sure why Steam is still taking 30%

Because Steam is the monopoly, so they define the standard.

Huh? What stops some other venue from defying the standard and offering the savings either to the developers/publishers or the customers? Isn't that the most sensible basis for competition, assuming that Steam is overcharging?

JayEH

Because it's a monopoly, it's also why the other storefronts charge the same rate, because they know that devs have no choice no matter what even if they seek alternatives.

Because Steam is the monopoly, so they define the standard.

They set the standard in all digital store fronts even outside of gaming?

Posts about Steam not being a monopoly always make me laugh.

It's like saying Microsoft isn't a monopoly in the PC OS space when Linux and Mac OS exist. As though the majority of people give a shit about the other two.

"PC OS space" is an antiquated notion. Most people aren't web browsing or messaging or gaming on a MS OS.

Burt

I mean, Steam is big, but it sells other people's games like a regular storefront.

First thing he should be asking why I have to pay $60 to download Ubi games when there's neither distributor cuts nor physical costs.

And I have to screw around with Uplay.

Yeah. Giving up 30% is cheap too when they give up about 70% for physical copies with the manufacturing, transport, game store and so on involved.

We have numbers from EA and Ubisoft that retail is around the same 30%.

There is a reason why everyone tries to establish their own store.

Uh. You can go anywhere and buy a code for Windows. What exactly is your point?

At some point, Microsoft sold that code to the people you bought it from. Amazon and GMG DO NOT PAY STEAM for the steamworks keys they sell, they are generated for free by Valve and Steam and the developer/publisher, and distributed to the other storefronts.

Blizzard

Banned
The more I think about it, the more laughable this is. Why would he compare it to credit cards? Like... what? Why did his mind even go there?
I think the oversimplified logic is, "The money only goes to pay a credit card transaction fee and a CDN fee, so why is Valve taking so much profit on top of that". In reality, Steam obviously involves a lot more than that.

Grief.exe

The irony of the 30% cut is Publishers retain more profit per copy than console games. That's why PC games can generate comparable, or increased, profits despite selling less.

People genuinely didn't know that the effective royalty payment was around 30%? I swore that was common knowledge for digital storefronts.

It does beg the question: where does all that money go?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Very poor comparison - not that making outlandish claims is anything new for Sweeney. If he wanted, he should have looked at other game distribution networks to see how they fare. As far as I know, all major services charge 30%. Even Humble only gives the developers 75% of their total revenue.

The only storefront which has taken a more progressive, developer-centric stance is Itch.io, which allows the dev to choose how much of their revenue goes to Itch.

Blog post explaining their 'Revenue Share' model

itch.io's default rate will be 10%. If you don't make any changes to your account then it will automatically be set to 10%. 10% is far below the industry standard, 30%, which you'll see on places like Apple App Store, Google Play or Steam. If you don't think the default is fair, either too low or too high, I encourage you to change it!

As the seller you decide what percentage itch.io gets from each transaction. From 0 to 100%, set the slider to what you think is fair. A quote from the post I linked above:

You might be saying ”well that sounds pretty risky, what if everyone sets it to 0?" We think that's a risk we're willing to take in the spirit of encouraging the generous and supportive community that's already developed around itch.io.

So... I don't really know what he expected to do with this tweet? As mentioned above, even his own store enforces the 30% charge. You have your reasons, Valve, Microsoft, Sony, Humble, all have theirs.

Because credit card fees and bandwith are the two main cost factors if you sell a game digital.

Valve handles bandwidth for games that are upwards of 50-100+GB, which must be made available for every user who purchases it for the lifetime of their account and/or the service. Valve also handles bandwidth and server infrastructure for a massive social network attached to their service, with no advertisements being used to generate revenue to fund upkeep. They host screenshots, provide their own streaming service, and have a heavy focus on user generated content. That's already a massive leap over how much bandwidth it takes for a credit card transaction to be processed. Valve has made some moves that can be seen as greedy in the past, and they are not above criticism by any means, but this comparison was not the wisest.

snap

Banned
I mean, Steam is big, but it sells other people's games like a regular storefront.

First thing he should be asking why I have to pay $60 for Ubi games when there's neither storefront cuts or physical costs.

cuz AAA is already super risky at that pricepoint, dropping it means you'll get way less of the type of game most people buy in droves.

it's always important to point out, when adjusting for inflation games are more expensive to make now than they've ever been but the general MSRP ($60) is one of the lowest it's ever been. That's supported by a bigger market, but only to a certain extent.

Mechazawa

Probably because Valve and Steam proponents love to tout it as an "open marketplace" and somehow different from the competition, yet they still do shit like this.

No one calls Steam an "open marketplace". This is strawman bullshit and doesn't even make sense.

Blizzard

Banned
Damn, maybe it just didn't hit me before but 30% is insane.

It's honestly insane how far Steam has come. I remember the first couple third party games released on steam being some weird kung fu game and darwinia.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1002/Rag_Doll_Kung_Fu/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1500/Darwinia/

It's amazing thinking those were the first and hardly anyone knows about them.
I played at least part of Darwinia! Oddly enough, I'm almost certain I bought a physical version on a massive Circuit City discount when they were closing down their videogame sales. I assume Steam was around then but I don't think the physical version required it.

vareon

Isn't it the same as other digital marketplace? Retail is also taking much (not to mention other costs). Any better solution to the existing situation would be revolutionary and I kinda want to see that.

Kyuur

Steam client R&D, support, infrastructure? His point about bandwidth seems a bit silly when there's a ton more that goes into serving that data.

Tagyhag

That credit card comparison is legit stupid, and I know that Sweeney has to shill for Epic and their storefront but your argument falls flat when ALL THE OTHER COMPANIES (Including yours) HAVE THE SAME CUT.

Damn, maybe it just didn't hit me before but 30% is insane.

It's honestly crazy how far Steam has come. I remember the first couple third party games released on steam being some weird kung fu game and darwinia.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/1002/Rag_Doll_Kung_Fu/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/1500/Darwinia/

It's amazing thinking those were the first and hardly anyone knows about them.

Darwinia almost has 750K owners, I wouldn't necesarily say that hardly anyone knows about it. :p

paulpp

Neo Member
I think he brought up Visa/Mastercard to show the profit margin of Steam, not as a comparison to an app store business model.

snap

Banned
Isn't it the same as other digital marketplace? Retail is also taking much (not to mention other costs). Any better solution to the existing situation would be revolutionary and I kinda want to see that.

the solution is everybody sells their own game using their own distribution networks and those who can't afford that latch onto someone else's and pays them a cut based on how much of the network they use, not a flat percentage.

the other end would be the return of the Games folder from Vista/7 that populates all games installed on the system, no matter where they got installed from. ideally it would be improved and act more like a client showing the same stuff the steam client currently does.

Pachael

I think he's playing dumb.

Valve are able to take that cut because they have a huge number of customers' trust.

If you don't want Valve getting that cut, then stop selling games on Steam (but good luck generating as much revenue).

Edit: 30% is an industry standard cut. Plenty of retailers charge more.

I think he's setting the platform for either an Epic launcher/store or WeGame.

Then they can set the margin to whatever they like.

Edit: WeGame launches September 1. Interesting timing of comments...
http://technode.com/2017/08/18/tencents-wegame-gaming-platform-goes-online-september-1st/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Clearly, the way forward is for Steam to take a lower cut, thereby.... solidifying their monopoly even further? Is this the endgame here?

Goddamn, I knew they took a cut, but not 30%. That's absolutely insane.

What's next, Apple taking a 30% cut from every app?

30%?

giphy.gif

Why the surprise? This is the standard cut.

NeOak

What are even trying to say?

There is an overhead to operate stuff?

I mean, if you think the game you buy at Walmart or Gamestop gets the publisher the full $60, idk man.

The 30% also allows a buffer for the sale of gift cards and currency. Otherwise you would see a $50 Steam bucks card go for say, $60 dollars.

It's pretty steep, but it is the standard. IIRC: Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Valve, etc all take a 30% cut from their digital marketplaces.

Kill3r7

The analogy is way off the mark. Steam is a merchant not a creditor. They are not collecting interchange and relying on high interest rates to make money off users. Completely different business model. They are akin to any other merchant be it B&M or online. Any "apparent" monopoly they have is because developers, publishers and the game media for years have encourage fans to hate any other stores that are not steam. You made your bed, now lie in it.

Figments

No one calls Steam an "open marketplace". This is strawman bullshit and doesn't even make sense.

Spent a few minutes eating dinner and searching GAF and the interwebs for anything to back up my point, and after only a cursory glance around, it seems I may have either misspoke or simply haven't found examples.

I'm fairly certain I have seen this sentiment before, however, though rather in the "Should be an open marketplace" part than "IS an open marketplace" part.

I apologize.

Adnor

Banned
Wouldn't lowering the percentage they take actually harm the competition? If they took, let's say 15% instead of the industry standard of 30% you wouldn't see games like FF15 on Origin or the Windows Store, it would be less revenue per sale.

Cleve

I love the tweet asking him why he brings it up when his own store front also takes a 30% cut.

C'mon Tim. Every storefront takes a cut. Comparing to or complaining that it's a larger cut than card processors is ridiculous.

Y'know, this seems like a very interesting thing for him to be saying when a major shareholder in his company (40%, Tencent) is building a Steam competitor of their own (Of which titles are already being moneyhatted for) and they themselves have the Epic Games Launcher.

I bet you damn well WePlay is going to take a 30% cut.

2SeeKU

I think 30% is fair considering the market you're given access to. Why should that be free?

What's NOT fair is the developer licence you're required to pay Apple if you intend on publishing to their App Store (a $119 AUD fee last time l checked). Do Steam charge anything similar?

Phased

I'm surprised he's not going on another Windows rant.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Valve, it's still where I buy most of my games. Considering they provide all of the bandwidth costs for hosting your game and letting people download it, and 30% is similar to every other online store front I think it's ok.

I can't even imagine the bandwidth costs Valve has. I'm sure they're still making money hand over fist but it isn't like they're taking 30% and you get nothing out of it.

Pokemaniac

30% is very much the standard cut for these types of storefronts. I'm not aware of any that are substantially lower.

Credit cards aren't a great comparison. A pure payment processing system is much simpler than a full online storefront.

Top Bottom