• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryCentaurGaming (ACG) needs your help (youtube problems/demonetazion)

Jamiaro

Just saw ACG:s newest video, where Karak says he needs more Patreons to be able continue making the quality-content which many of us know and love.

I just wanted to make a quick thread about this to people who don't yet know this.

If this thread is not tolerated/against the rules, please remove it right away. I hastily did this on mobile before taking kids to the kindergarden.

Edit: Thanks for the help with the link. It's a bummer to set up on mobile. :/

Ban Puncher

With YouTube demonetisation on the rise and traditional advertisers bailing out, how long until Google buys Patreon or sets up their own 'Pay a Creator Directly' website so they can keep getting a cut?

phant0m

With YouTube demonetisation on the rise and traditional advertisers bailing out, how long until Google buys Patreon or sets up their own 'Pay a Creator Directly' website so they can keep getting a cut?

More realistic: Google buys, does nothing for 8 months then shuts it down and continues to fuck creators.

For real though, ACG puts out the best reviews on YT. EZA is #2.

Feels like something they should've been working on for a bit.
Maybe it disables ads on the channel you're supporting or something...not sure if that would interfere with YouTube Red, though

ChrisD

Huh. I was just arguing with my brother about the whole demonetization thing not being real, but that's because he watches Pewdiepie and thinks that YouTube were out to get him and that's why people have started losing money. I said that until people I watch (really just Insaneintherainmusic and ProJared) start talking about demonetization that I won't believe it, as it sounds like it's just people like PDP who may have legitimately lost views. In ProJared's video on the "Adpocalypse" a few months ago he even talked about how nothing had changed on his end.

I'm kind of trying to concoct a way now to say that I wasn't wrong... because he still isn't right. @-@

Sorry for rambling with off-topic. Will watch the video, OP. Hope he can get the Patreon support he needs.

Helloween

I sympathise. This is what mine currently looks like.

http://imgur.com/a/gire7

All of my Resident Evil videos, Silent Hill, Evil within...it's horror basically. I saw 16+ pages on videos last night with this nonsense before i decided to hit the wine.

Floody

Wish him all the best, he has quickly became one of my favourite reviewers, really hope this works out for him.

llien

Woot, I thought it was only targeted at controversial stuff, what is going on???

Fliesen

yeah, and call it "OneBasket" where people can donate among several tiers of "eggs" :p

Seriously, going forward, it's absolutely essential for youtubers to at least somewhat diversify their source of income. Patreon serves as a wage, monetization on youtube vids that went viral are a nice bonus payout. - to have the same company rule over the discoverability, accessibility of your content AND your income from said content is just bad news going forward :/

Seeing how more and more creators are opting for a Patreon campaign, they need to offer something for people who want to support further creators, but simply cannot (or don't want to) assign more of their monthly budget to even more campaigns.

Like some kind of system where you set up a fixed monthly donation which will then get evenly split up amongst all the creators you support.

I hope ACG is going to get the support he needs, seeing as plugging DollarShaveClub isn't really an option, with a fancy beard like that.
edit: Whoa, he's at almost 5k. Sweet.

Stiler

ACG is legit one of the best reviewers on youtube, goes in depth a lot more then many "big" channels (IE IGN/Gamespot) and I enjoy his non review videos too like the walking the walk stuff that's neat to see the little details and things you might not notice.

Sucks that youtube is doing this to many creators.

Hopefully the good ones like him get plenty of support and can keep on doing what they do.

tim.mbp

Maybe he should change his name to NiceCentaurGaming.

Wish him luck. Can't really contribute. I do enjoy watching his videos of games I'm on the fence about.

Wish him luck. Can't really contribute. I do enjoy watching his videos of games I'm on the fence about.

Are you sure you can't? Not trying to call people out on their use of money, and everyone has a different situation. But when I had money problems I still supported the creators I love, but reduced the amount. Even 1 dollar helps, if enough people give it.

xrnzaaas

It's really sad that he has to deal with this bullshit, I subbed to his channel only a few months ago, but I'm regularly catching up on his older videos. They're high quality reviews and, most of all, they feel honest and professional. I imagine it'll only get worse, because youtube only cares about giving blowjobs to advertisers.

What the hell is the criteria they use to determine suitability?

Only a few of mine got this, but I can't for the life of my understand why those and not the others, and why at all.

Really weird. I only just started to notice that content creators were having issues when one guy started bleeping out curses and said he was actively trying not to swear since it seems like swearing makes your videos worse off in whatever algorithm they're using to determine how much money you should be making off them? Sounds like a pain in the ass, if you swear on accident you have to waste time editing it.

Is youtube being transparent about what criteria they're using to judge videos?

Really weird. I only just started to notice that content creators were having issues when one guy started bleeping out curses and said he was actively trying not to swear since it seems like swearing makes your videos worse off in whatever algorithm they're using to determine how much money you should be making off them? Sounds like a pain in the ass, if you swear on accident you have to waste time editing it.

Is youtube being transparent about what criteria they're using to judge videos?
Nope. That's the problem. They don't communicate with creators.

Jamiaro

I really hope ACG can continue to do their solid, thorough work. I love Karad and his reviews. They are the best imo, Easy Allies coming close second.

What the hell is the criteria they use to determine suitability?

Only a few of mine got this, but I can't for the life of my understand why those and not the others, and why at all.
The rumour I've seen is that the it appears that a video getting adverts from the main advert pool is tied to whether or not a video is approved for Restricted Mode (you know, the filter for video YouTube deems suitable for five year old children that everyone blew up about a few months ago). Again, rumour, but getting a statement out of YouTube is like getting blood out of a stone.

ACG has become one of the absolute best voices in gaming criticism. His reviews are thorough, even handed and fair. ACG has become one of the very first people I now watch/listen to for reviews. He's an absolute workhorse.

Really sad to see how YouTube is abusing people that have made their site what it is and leaving them with little recourse.

The Patreon videos are probably super not fun to make and I'm definitely going to support him as his eloquence and thoughtfullness is a vital part of how I find out and learn about games now.

I know he's a member here, keep your chin up. I think you're going to see how many people value your work.

scoobs

His Patreon is really well funded, hope it continues to grow so he can keep churning out great content

Really what needs to happen is affiliate linking, and people actually using it in videos. Why not help out channels by using affiliate shopping links for products you're already going to buy.

Hasney

Really what needs to happen is affiliate linking, and people actually using it in videos. Why not help out channels by using affiliate shopping links for products you're already going to buy.

Even then, you can only use the link on the product discussed in the video in terms of Amazon. Linus of LTT got busted for telling people to use it generally.

ISee

Because I don't want Linus to laugh at me for buying a 7700k, but just a B250 motherboard.

Hate to say it but throwing your entire life and income into something like YouTube (and even Twitch) seemed hasty for an emerging market relying entirely upon a company you're for the most part uninvolved with in any tangible way (beyond promotion and support).

I'm still not sure what the game plan is for people currently streaming who haven't made it large enough to form their own brand and expand or earn enough to invest and place security elsewhere. What happens when you hit 40, 50?

That said, it must suck to be caught in this situation and there's a load of creators I greatly respect. Happy to try and help out ACG but I do feel this is going to be a growing issue from hereon out.

Even then, you can only use the link on the product discussed in the video in terms of Amazon. Linus of LTT got busted for telling people to use it generally.

Ah, makes sense. Well, could occasionally do a product review for tech/gaming then. But, more generally, good work does deserve to be rewarded/funded.

Because I don't want Linus to laugh at me for buying a 7700k, but just a B250 motherboard.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

:( A real shame as his videos are great. I already fund quite a few patreons outside of gaming and can't really justify the extra money but if I get some spare cash I'll put some his way. Hope all goes well.

danowat

Banned
I am a little bit conflicted about this.............

While on the one hand, I enjoy (some) of ACG's content, not all of it appeals or applies to me, if he did more console / console indie reviews, then I might be more inclined to offer monetary support.

There is also the issue of it being possible to (for want of a better word) beg for support, I get that the terrain over at Youtube is shifting, but that's the way things go, it's the same for alot of people not using Youtube for a job, but the difference is for others is that they don't really have a platform or audience to ask for financial help.

So, maybe I am a dick for thinking like that, but that's the way I see it, I hope that ACG finds a way to continue doing what he loves doing, and producing content.

Ok. So now he makes 5000+ USD on Patreon, should this thread be locked now or what?

So there you go, he doesn't need my money anyway!

UrbanRats

There is also the issue of it being possible to (for want of a better word) beg for support, I get that the terrain over at Youtube is shifting, but that's the way things go, it's the same for alot of people not using Youtube for a job, but the difference is for others is that they don't really have a platform or audience to ask for financial help.

What does that even mean?
Many are losing their jobs, so you shouldn't tell your fans how things are going and ask for their support? How does that makes sense to you?

YouTube monetization is fucked, so if you want ACG to keeping wasting his day doing reviews and shit, he needs to change the business model, simple.
If you don't care, you don't have to pay, if nobody does cares, he can go back looking for a day job. (but clearly a lot of people care).
It's not really begging for anything, since he produces content that (again, going by the Patreon numbers) people want, and are willing to pay for.

danowat

Banned
What does that even mean?
Many are losing their jobs, so you shouldn't tell your fans how things are going and ask for their support? How does that makes sense to you?

It means that when Joe Blogg's job sweeping up shit in a factory goes tits up he doesn't have the means to ask a whole raft of people for support.

As I said, if it makes me a dick for thinking like this, then I am a dick, but it's just how I see it.

It's not really begging for anything, since he produces content that (again, going by the Patreon numbers) people want, and are willing to pay for.
My concern is that if this is an issue now, what are his plans for long-term viability beyond just hoping he 'makes it'. Patching up the problem with donations from users is fine for now but if he's expecting that level of support it should be made clear how he plans to get away from needing that crutch. That doesn't make asking for support a bad thing, but I think there's a level if expectation with it in trying to find yourself a way out of needing it (at least in the sense of needing to outright ask).

It's a tough situation but one that really needs consideration as time moves on, especially as users get older.

danowat

Banned
That's literally what he is doing via this video.

I know, but asking for money makes me uneasy, no matter who is doing it.

I donate food to a local foodbank, and there are people there who are struggling to eat who are straight up embarrassed to ask for food to eat just to survive, so this is where my unease comes from.

FinalAres

Could someone explain to me how $2,700 per month just for patreon is unsustainable? Don't want to be a dick, appreciate I'm coming off as one though, but surely that's like $30,000 a year on its own?

Top Bottom