• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Groof

So annoying that Red still isn't available in the UK. Really takes away the appeal of GPM when you pay but don't get such a good feature that others get.
I switched back to Spotify because of that reason, among others. Why pay for half a service?

Saiyan-Rox

That's the OP5 gone from my hands. using my nexus 4 with LineageOS

Damn little thing stuggles so much :( poor wee thing. Battery dropped like a stone until it hit 53% and now hasn't changed lol

axb2013

My gamble on importing a mix 2 has paid off, very pleased with the phone. MIUI is also growing on me though I still think (near) stock Oreo would be a perfect fit.

Ty4on

That's the OP5 gone from my hands. using my nexus 4 with LineageOS

Damn little thing stuggles so much :( poor wee thing. Battery dropped like a stone until it hit 53% and now hasn't changed lol
I read somewhere that the CPU is faulty without proper power states and it makes sense. It drains really quickly at medium load. If I use it constantly I can maybe get three hours screen on time lol

Part of the reason I haven't replaced my battery tho is I'm afraid third party ones suck. Like who's going to make good batteries for it today.

New to the Android scene (been on it before, but it's been a while). I'll probably pop in with some questions from time to time.

One thing that's been bugging me on my Note8 is that the last word I type into the Messages app doesn't get autocorrected unless I press the space bar before I send it. On iOS, the last word gets autocorrected as soon as you hit send. Obviously this can lead to shenanigans once in a while but 99% of the time I want that last word to be autocorrected. I'm using the default Samsung messenger.

Is this possible on Android? Is it tied to the keyboard I'm using (Gboard, for reference), the messenger app I'm using, the OS, or is it just not possible?

Thanks.

Sagitario

Is there any way to transfer app settings without root?

I got a Note 8 and I want to transfer my apps+settings from an LG G5.
Samsung's Smart Switch only transfers the apps but not their settings/bookmarks/etc.
The G5 can create SD backups, but I can't find a way to load backups from the SD card in the Note8.

Google Drive only backups Google apps, so that's not an option either.

This is kinda frustrating.

andthebeatgoeson

Samsung's Smart Switch only transfers the apps but not their settings/bookmarks/etc.
The G5 can create SD backups, but I can't find a way to load backups from the SD card in the Note8.

I know. I keep getting far in this tower defense game, Robo Defense, and getting my progress reset when i upgrade to a new phone.

Husker86

I know. I keep getting far in this tower defense game, Robo Defense, and getting my progress reset when i upgrade to a new phone.

Robo Defense saves progress to a file on the sdcard, that's why. Google couldn't auto back that up if they wanted to.

The good news is you can copy that over to your new device and it will just work.

(I used to play the shit out of that game)

Groof

New to the Android scene (been on it before, but it's been a while). I'll probably pop in with some questions from time to time.

One thing that's been bugging me on my Note8 is that the last word I type into the Messages app doesn't get autocorrected unless I press the space bar before I send it. On iOS, the last word gets autocorrected as soon as you hit send. Obviously this can lead to shenanigans once in a while but 99% of the time I want that last word to be autocorrected. I'm using the default Samsung messenger.

Is this possible on Android? Is it tied to the keyboard I'm using (Gboard, for reference), the messenger app I'm using, the OS, or is it just not possible?

Thanks.
Never seen any keyboard app do this on Android so it could be that it's not possible to do. Time to train yourself to always hit that space bar

Edwardo

So I'm in need of a new phone. I have the Moto g4 right now, but it has so many issues that I need to upgrade. Power button broke off, when audio plays through the speakers the phone will shut off, small hard drive 16gb lol. I had the Note 7 and bought the g4 because I didn't know what I wanted to replace the Note with at the time and ended up sticking with it for a year or so.

I reeeeeally don't want to pay $800+ on something brand new. I would if it was worth it, but I'd like to hear about ppls experience with these phones for a little while before I pull the trigger.

I was looking into the OnePlus 5, but I'm on Verizon. The 6GB of RAM seems really nice.

I might just go one up to the Moto g5 since it's pretty cheap. $240 for the 64GB version. It would be much better than the 16GB of space I have now.

Any thoughts?

I use Helium for backing up stuff when I get a new phone.

You can do it without root, but I think it requires a computer (at least for the free version).

It worked well the last time I used it about a year ago. Only slicer tain apps didn't work like Rayman, but that game is extra annoying about its saves I think.

Hasney

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdcvpsQtnE5iBALt2

They weren't playing around with this camera

tumblr_ovwabyxf4N1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
[Never Settle] OnePlus found to be collecting massive amounts of personally identifiable analytics data from phone owners

Analytics data is important for any software project. The data can help developers figure out what features people use, what bugs need to be fixed, and what/where the target market is. OnePlus, in its never-ending mission to make itself the worst Android phone manufacturer on the planet, has been discovered collecting massive amounts of analytics data from phone owners. The collected data includes IMEI numbers, MAC addresses, mobile network names and IMSI prefixes, serial numbers, and more.

more at link

Sagitario

I use Helium for backing up stuff when I get a new phone.

You can do it without root, but I think it requires a computer (at least for the free version).

It worked well the last time I used it about a year ago. Only slicer tain apps didn't work like Rayman, but that game is extra annoying about its saves I think.

I just read quickly about Helium. It seems it works for some and doesn't work for others. How complicated was it for you? Do you know if the paid version doesn't requite a PC?

So I'm in need of a new phone. I have the Moto g4 right now, but it has so many issues that I need to upgrade. Power button broke off, when audio plays through the speakers the phone will shut off, small hard drive 16gb lol. I had the Note 7 and bought the g4 because I didn't know what I wanted to replace the Note with at the time and ended up sticking with it for a year or so.

I reeeeeally don't want to pay $800+ on something brand new. I would if it was worth it, but I'd like to hear about ppls experience with these phones for a little while before I pull the trigger.

I was looking into the OnePlus 5, but I'm on Verizon. The 6GB of RAM seems really nice.

I might just go one up to the Moto g5 since it's pretty cheap. $240 for the 64GB version. It would be much better than the 16GB of space I have now.

Any thoughts?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/moto-z2-play/

Same price as the G5, less storage, but ability for Moto Mods if that's something you wanna try. Also it has USB-C and NFC which the G5 doesn't.

Furyous

Any thoughts?

Find a used LG G6 for around $330. If that doesn't work get an Xperia Compact for $350. In the $200 to $300 range you could buy an HTC 10 used, Moto G5S/GS+/G5S+

Look for used flagships from last year and start there basically.

Thanks.

that behavior sounds bizarre

i thought everyone did this.

Jeffrey

Ppl been complaining about this with oneplus for years and they don't change lol.

If you use an android phone and Google services,just don't expect any privacy.

But then... Who isn't compromised these days from yahoo or equifax or something. Just keep a stack of cash and a shotgun under the bed.

Speaking of which. A "bug" with Google home mini has them spying on your 24/7.

No wonder they giving them away with pixels.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/

I just read quickly about Helium. It seems it works for some and doesn't work for others. How complicated was it for you? Do you know if the paid version doesn't requite a PC?
It's worked fine for me at least twice.

Sometimes the process of downloading the program on the PC and getting it to work with the phone takes a few tries, but once you get that step to work it transfers stuff over pretty well.

Edwardo

https://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/moto-z2-play/

Same price as the G5, less storage, but ability for Moto Mods if that's something you wanna try. Also it has USB-C and NFC which the G5 doesn't.

Find a used LG G6 for around $330. If that doesn't work get an Xperia Compact for $350. In the $200 to $300 range you could buy an HTC 10 used, Moto G5S/GS+/G5S+

Look for used flagships from last year and start there basically.

Great. Thanks!

Ppl been complaining about this with oneplus for years and they don't change lol.

If you use an android phone and Google services,just don't expect any privacy.

But then... Who isn't compromised these days from yahoo or equifax or something. Just keep a stack of cash and a shotgun under the bed.

Speaking of which. A "bug" with Google home mini has them spying on your 24/7.

No wonder they giving them away with pixels.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/10/google-nerfing-home-minis-mine-spied-everything-said-247/

the most amazing part of that story is that a human at Google responded to an email in 10 minutes.

Still no word out of OnePlus about why they don't have phones in stock or available to ship within a couple of weeks. Why won't they come out and admit why they stopped producing them?

Weird. The Verizon V30 comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable and USB-C wall adapter in addition to a USB-C to A cable while the T-Mobile (and I think AT&T?) V30s come with just the standard C to A cable and adapter.

Jeffrey

Weird. The Verizon V30 comes with a USB-C to USB-C cable and USB-C wall adapter in addition to a USB-C to A cable while the T-Mobile (and I think AT&T?) V30s come with just the standard C to A cable and adapter.
Do they support usbc power delivery or quick charge or both?

Saiyan-Rox

I read somewhere that the CPU is faulty without proper power states and it makes sense. It drains really quickly at medium load. If I use it constantly I can maybe get three hours screen on time lol

Part of the reason I haven't replaced my battery tho is I'm afraid third party ones suck. Like who's going to make good batteries for it today.

Yeah it's a third party battery in it but I think the main reason the battery is draining is cause of my BT headphones on my way into class.

Lol glad I got rid of that phone i'm done with OP as a whole. my GF still has her OP3 might install lineage on it now though after hearing this bollocks

Ty4on

Yeah it's a third party battery in it but I think the main reason the battery is draining is cause of my BT headphones on my way into class.
Yeah audio playback is poor. I had to charge up before class so I could listen to stuff. At work I'd constantly use audio and needed to keep it plugged in.

keuja

That's why I don't trust Chinese phone vendors at all. I had a xiaomi and every time I entered a password, I worried about my data going to either the Chinese government or hackers or to other shady organisations. Like Google collecting everything about you wasn't enough already...

Jeffrey

Honor 7x announced. 18:9 screen dual cameras. Under $200.

We already at budget zone for these tall screens lol. Shame it's their kirin stuff still.

5x was a beast with cynogen

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

We already at budget zone for these tall screens lol. Shame it's their kirin stuff still.

Oooo

6X was nice, but felt like the Moto G5+ fixing their shit this year overshadowed it.

Surprised to see the 7X so soon. This could be game changer.

llehuty

Quite happy with my Honor 6x, wonder how they manged to reduce even more the price if the screen is presumably bigger.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's quite an achievement when you have almost no room to work with and still end up with an ugly design.

Other than the Honor branding on the front it looks fine? It's not gonna win any awards, but it's hardly terrible especially for the price point.

e90Mark

HeyGuys,

I've been on iOS for the last like 6-7 years. A little tired of the minimal updates to the iPhone in terms of tech, so I've pre-ordered a Pixel 2 XL.

I'll have it in about 2 weeks, since I ordered Just Black, but I wish it was a Black and White - That looks sharp.

Just wanted to get some insight on maybe what you guys think are the best apps right now for SMS, Reddit, and Twitter. Maybe any other little tips and tricks you'll think would be beneficial for my switch over to Android. The very last Android phone I used was a Nexus S, I believe.

I think I'll miss iMessage the most.

Top Bottom