• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

I just got a new Vita ($100 refurb from ebay) and need games for it, but not sure whether to pick this up for Vita or PS4.

What say you, GAF?

ErichWK

Totally forgot I pre-ordered this. Won't have time to get to it for a bit. I got like 12 hours in with the original but the repetition and clunky controls got to me. Hopefully the improvements will help me stick with it!

Fisty

I just got a new Vita ($100 refurb from ebay) and need games for it, but not sure whether to pick this up for Vita or PS4.

What say you, GAF?

Vanillaware games on Vita are amazing, special bonus if you have the OLED because those colors just pop. Performance and graphics have been on point for all 3 VW games on Vita so far

Jeffrey

Vanillaware games on Vita are amazing, special bonus if you have the OLED because those colors just pop. Performance and graphics have been on point for all 3 VW games on Vita so far

dragon crown has some framerate problems when there are a lot of things on screen. don't recall any issues with muramasa

Pejo

Do you play on hard ?

Yes, but I also outleveled the content by a fair margin by going fruit crazy once I got muggle seeds. I will try to hold back on other characters. The bosses do provide a significant challenge, but thus far in the game (still early) the stages are super easy to S-rank.

Slaythe

Playing on PS4.

What an absolutely incredible remaster/game.

It's gorgeous, fun, cool story, good english dub.

Hope it sells ! Too bad EU won't get my purchase since i bought US.

Spruchy

Bought it on Vita from Amazon just now because Bestbuy doesn't believe the Vita exists like Sony.

Btw people are overstating how slow the original was. I beat the entire game on PS2 and yeah at its worst moments the slow down was bad, but the game was hardly a grind by any means (if you fought most fights you could beat the last boss without grinding). Not sure how anyone would clock 60 hours in what was by the books a 40 hour game. I'm sure the remake is much faster, but it seems much has changed opposed to the original being "too slow".

Saladinoo

Played the demo, not too sure what to think of it - enjoy the art style, combat is pretty cool, but it feels like it could get very repetitive - the "rooms" all seem to be of a similar size and layout, without much exploration.

Is the demo representative of the final game? Is there a good story holding it all together or not?

Slaythe

Played the demo, not too sure what to think of it - enjoy the art style, combat is pretty cool, but it feels like it could get very repetitive - the "rooms" all seem to be of a similar size and layout, without much exploration.

Is the demo representative of the final game? Is there a good story holding it all together or not?

I'm not too sure about "exploration" while within the dungeons, but you have several in between levels to talk to characters and learn stuff.

I think the story is pretty decent. Classic but it works.

It has some cool stuff to discover on your own outside of the main quest.

Also playing it on harder difficulty makes the fights less one sided thus more interesting.

You also get a lot of new abilities.

The demo was a light and condensed version.

nikos

Still haven't decided which version to get, though using my arcade stick with the PS4 demo was pretty fun. It would throw off muscle memory if I decide to double dip though.

Silvawuff

Just picked this up for Vita. I played the original and loved it, so I'm excited to re-experience this in its improved form.

Game just came in! Got the Storybook edition! So far the game is awesome. Somewhat disappointed that the shirt is only a large but the upside is it kinda works as a muscle shirt for me at this size.
Little sad there wasn't a soundtrack with the game...

How's everyone enjoying this so far? Thinking about heading up to the store to pick it up.

As someone completely new to the game (didn't have PS2/PS3) I am absolutely loving it. The art style has been great, and so far with Gwendolyn the writing has been on point, feels like a fairy tail.Even the English VA feels like people staging out a play, good job Atlus on that regard.

If I have one complaint it's that defeating enemies gives little to no HP, you gain HP by eating food. Which is fine, for the most part I usually end the level 4-5 levels above the final boss, but by the time the next stage starts I'm already underleveled even after spending my money on getting food. So usually halfway through a level I'm once again above the boss level.There also aren't enough purple crystal things to level up fully.

I'm 4 hours in and still on Gwendolyn. I probably have 2 more chapters to go, so another hour/hour and a half. Considering there are 4 more characters, and assuming they're all about the same length, this game will be a good time sink.

Fisty

dragon crown has some framerate problems when there are a lot of things on screen. don't recall any issues with muramasa

Yea a little bit of slowdown but its kinda helpful on the harder fights :p

Also the Vita version of DC gets the win over PS3 since theres no in-game voice chat (Vita has party chat)

Whogie

Amazon sent me the art booklet for the Standard Edition :)

I'm enjoying the new battle system. I struggled to get by on Easy on the original game, and had to grind a ton to brute-force my way through. Now I'm getting by alright on normal.

mileS

Played the demo for a bit. First thought (besides how pretty it is)... why is the screen zoomed in this far? Because of the zoom it seems like a vita or PSP game ported over with no concern for changing the aspect ratio or adjusting it so it looks okay on a big screen. The 60fps is nice but along with zoomed in look and how fast the game moves it honestly ends up hurting it in some ways. I'm guessing I'm the only one with this issue thus far because I haven't seen any other comments on it.

Slaythe

Played the demo for a bit. First thought (besides how pretty it is)... why is the screen zoomed in this far? Because of the zoom it seems like a vita or PSP game ported over with no concern for changing the aspect ratio or adjusting it so it looks okay on a big screen. The 60fps is nice but along with zoomed in look and how fast the game moves it honestly ends up hurting it in some ways. I'm guessing I'm the only one with this issue thus far because I haven't seen any other comments on it.
d5ac84dd86e80275572d4db3d457a7ab.png

Looks perfectly fine on my end .
Check your tv settings ?

As someone completely new to the game (didn't have PS2/PS3) I am absolutely loving it. The art style has been great, and so far with Gwendolyn the writing has been on point, feels like a fairy tail.Even the English VA feels like people staging out a play, good job Atlus on that regard.

If I have one complaint it's that defeating enemies gives little to no HP, you gain HP by eating food. Which is fine, for the most part I usually end the level 4-5 levels above the final boss, but by the time the next stage starts I'm already underleveled even after spending my money on getting food. So usually halfway through a level I'm once again above the boss level.There also aren't enough purple crystal things to level up fully.

I'm 4 hours in and still on Gwendolyn. I probably have 2 more chapters to go, so another hour/hour and a half. Considering there are 4 more characters, and assuming they're all about the same length, this game will be a good time sink.

Thanks so much for the impressions! Gonna get it :)

baconcow

Dragon's Crown on the Vita definitely had slowdown issues, but they were very predictable and felt like part of the game. Never stopped me from putting well over 100 hours in the game. I am very sensitive to framerate issues, too, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed playing it.

Giolon

The original game was very zoomed in, I presume for both the purposes of showing off the incredible artwork in a pre-HD world and for performance considerations so that they'd have to render fewer things at a time (and even then, some places of the game turned into slide shows)

Seems like neither Gamestop or Best Buy will have the game in store. When I try to pre order its showing me that its only available for shipping and not for in store pickup. This is for both versions,I hope this is not a low print run game.

So with GameStop, most of the time games that are coming out ship out and are enroute over the weekend prior to its release. Most stores can only take pre-orders to fill their extra copies over the weekend because they know how many they'll have. When I worked there, employees could still take pre-orders on the game even if they weren't going to have enough in stock on release day and the system's back end would flag the store as in need for expedited restock. Depending on the game, this could result in next day shipping of extra copies, though they would usually arrive on Wednesday and wouldn't be available on release day.

I got lucky, I just barely threw in my Odin Sphere pre-order on Saturday and the associate let me know it was the last one from their release day allotment. Don't know how many they got, but I'm willing to bet it wasn't very many, hence the lack of ability for in-store pickup option. They're likely all accounted for on launch day. Most stores probably have their systems flagged for an expedited restock that'll likely be in store before the end of the week -- depends on how many GameStop ordered to have on standby at their warehouses..

Anyway, on another note -- anyone got real-world pictures to share of their Storybook Edition? I had one pre-ordered on Amazon for a while but ultimately decided that I'd rather just go with a regular copy and cancelled about a month ago. Just wanna see what I missed out on. :)

CrazyHal

How's everyone enjoying this so far? Thinking about heading up to the store to pick it up.

It's way better than the original ps2 game that's for sure. The original was full of problems that ruin the game for me. I couldn't even be bother to finish it.

Thankfully, this remaster fixes everything that was wrong with the original as far as I can tell. In fact, I would go as far as to say that this is how the original game was meant to be.

It's way better than the original ps2 game that's for sure. The original was full of problems that ruin the game for me. I couldn't even be bother to finish it.

Thankfully, this remaster fixes everything that was wrong with the original as far as I can tell. In fact, I would go as far as to say that this is how the original game was meant to be.

I'm honestly in the same boat. I really appreciated the art and story of the first release on PS2, it was a game I followed very closely leading up to its original release and even pre-ordered and bought day 1, but I was never able to complete it because I could barely tolerate actually playing it.

This remaster is more than just a technical revision, it goes a few steps further and actually revamps the gameplay. Not quite a ground-up revision, but it really addresses many of the biggest problems of the original. It's far more fluid and satisfying now, and as said, it's not solely because of technical reasons -- it's because it's been redesigned to be that way.

Pasck

Neo Member
Anyone got the ps3 version? I can't even find a video of it, and it's the only one with no demo available for some reason. I guess it's still 1080p/60fps? I'm mostly wondering if there are any slowdowns.

Got my Storybook Edition but I'm kind of torn about opening it right now because I've got several games to finish before I start this. The box is nice and big, it definitely reminds me of old school PC game packaging.

CaLe

I'm assuming this isn't crossplay? I. E: buy once, play on either ps4 or Vita. Sorry if this was already asked.

Slaythe

I'm assuming this isn't crossplay? I. E: buy once, play on either ps4 or Vita. Sorry if this was already asked.

You mean Crossbuy.

It isn't, sadly. Obnoxious, especially when they have ps3 versions too (that i almost bought by mistake).

jonboi24

Neo Member
Don't know if this is a mistake but the game is currently 59.99 on the Canadian PSN. The game is normally 79.99 at retail. This could be a mistake because this has happened in the past were they would but the US price in the Canadian store on launch days. If you're interested in getting the game buy it NOW before they fix the price.

Haha, oh man, box art "censorship": https://twitter.com/CensoredGaming_/status/740333449316294656

Gotta hand it to them, though: it's an actual change, and I would have never noticed that otherwise.

Took me almost a minute to notice the change lol

Don't know if this is a mistake but the game is currently 59.99 on the Canadian PSN. The game is normally 79.99 at retail. This could be a mistake because this has happened in the past were they would but the US price in the Canadian store on launch days. If you're interested in getting the game buy it NOW before they fix the price.

It's actual price. For whatever reason it's 1:1 conversation rate for most Japanese games on Canadian PSN.

Edit: just checked, the metal slipcase's cover is the unaltered version.

Real talk about the cover: anyone feel like the artwork was printed with the colors washed out?

On my Vita copy, everything looks dark blue and violet, and you can barely make out the colors on the characters in the back.

Just reached Cornelius.

I actually had a harder time reaching S in some areas. Had like 1 B and 1 A. Biggest issue is he's too strong and his combos don't chain as easily. But his special powers require more aiming so far.

Top Bottom