• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOSU Hack (homebrew and more) planned to be released for Wii U on Dec. 24th

Platy

DS ROM injection is AWESOME news !

Let's hope someone injects "Maestro! Jump on Music" so I can play it full screen on my TV =D

Rich!

DS ROM injection is AWESOME news !

Let's hope someone injects "Maestro! Jump on Music" so I can play it full screen on my TV =D

Do it yourself!

Really! It's easy! And it's awesome!

Like I said, this isn't even worthy of being called rom injection. This is literally just renaming a NDS ROM and putting it into a zip file. That's all you have to do, other than changing the loading graphics and icon if you wish.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Will this exploit enable stuff like emuNAND or installing whatever you want on your homescreen? Or are we not there yet?

JazzmanZ

Well yeah, because that's how the emulator is designed.

But you can copy and paste and make as many of them as you want for as many games as you want.
Cool cool, I'll have to check this out on Sunday or somethin, Nintendont was amazin enough.

Platy

Do it yourself!

Really! It's easy! And it's awesome!

Like I said, this isn't even worthy of being called rom injection. This is literally just renaming a NDS ROM and putting it into a zip file. That's all you have to do, other than changing the loading graphics and icon if you wish.

But you need an installed DS virtual console for it to work ?

Rich!

But you need an installed DS virtual console for it to work ?

Well yeah, of course. But I would say it's worth buying any game considering it will allow you to play all of your collection in the process.

Us in the UK at least all got brain training for free,so that's one option!

Rich!

I'll patiently await the noob guide for this!

I've posted the noob guide.

You go onto http://loadiine.ovh on the wii u browser and it loads the homebrew channel from your SD (I posted the link above). BOOOM, HACKED! It's basically the noobiest exploit ever.

Load up the ripping app I also posted above and choose a title to save to the SD (a DS game).

Follow the steps I wrote just above to put a new ROM in.

Load it using loadiine gx (link over on gbatemp, it's a backup loader).

Done.

Make sure you set your DNS in the Wii U network connection settings to 107.211.140.065 to block any further updates for the time being.

is 5.5.1 the newest update?

only thing that's holding me back is playing mario maker online :(

can i also run my existing games off a hdd like the wii softmod?

Rich!

Sweet. Any tutorials on adding more music to Smash Wii U? :3 /goestosearchGBATemp

Yeah, dump the game and replace whatever tracks you want.

The entire soundtrack is in one folder all in the lovely brstm format.

Same goes for any Wii U game really.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, dump the game and replace whatever tracks you want.

The entire soundtrack is in one folder all in the lovely brstm format.

Same goes for any Wii U game really.

I'm aware of the replacing stuff, but I know people have added more My Music slots to say, the FF7 stage. More interested in that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I don't have it, but it's safe to say it will run perfectly.

Damn, this is literally all I wanted from Wii U homebrew. The DS emulator is fantastic, I just needed to be able to use my own ROMs with it - and Nintendo made it ridiculously easy to do so. This doesn't even count as ROM injection.

And you can make custom loading screen graphics and even custom DS overlays too. They're just basic tga image files. Might make a DS Lite overlay later.

Awesome. That's great to hear... but remember that this is just a kernel exploit. Don't be content with just that. We still don't have a (public) way to access IOSU. Once we do, we we'll be able to do everything without the need to run the kexploit every single time. We'll be able to boot things from the Home menu, create emuNANDs, access USB storage...

Like the 3DS, but on Wii U. Hopefully Twi and others can get it working and release it soon.

is 5.5.1 the newest update?

only thing that's holding me back is playing mario maker online :(

can i also run my existing games off a hdd like the wii softmod?

Yep.

You still can, as long as Nintendo doesn't update. And even if they do, I don't know if you need the latest system update to play games online. I think it varies from title to title and that you could play online with the latest game update, but I'm not sure.

Nope. As I said above, the kexploit doesn't have USB access, just SD. IOSU will remedy that... once it's completed.

SigSig

Alright, just to confirm:

I'll update my Wii U right now to the latest version.
I'll head out to buy some Nintendo bucks.
I'll buy one VC game of each platform, so I'll have all the emulators.
I'll click the site on my Wii U to install the Hack along with the homebrew channel.
I'll spend the rest of the week ripping all of my old games, inject them into the downloaded VC titles (and fiddle around with the gamma values).

Have I forgotten anything?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Awesome. That's great to hear... but remember that this is just a kernel exploit. Don't be content with just that. We still don't have a (public) way to access IOSU. Once we do, we we'll be able to do everything without the need to run the kexploit every single time. We'll be able to boot things from the Home menu, create emuNANDs, access USB storage...

Like the 3DS, but on Wii U. Hopefully Twi and others can get it working and release it soon.

Yep.

You still can, as long as Nintendo doesn't update. And even if they do, I don't know if you need the latest system update to play games online. I think it varies from title to title and that you could play online with the latest game update, but I'm not sure.

Nope. As I said above, the kexploit doesn't have USB access, just SD. IOSU will remedy that... once it's completed.

*Now entering patience mode*

So, you can back up legally paid retail WiiU games on USB now ?

Dunno about USB, but you definitely can over wifi. I'm using ddd right now to dump Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (hey, it was already on my Wii U, why not). Next I'll probably try dumping a game that actually works in Cemu, or barring that, one of the Wii VC games maybe? Hopefully it works like the DS VC games, though I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: Just realized it might not be clear from my post, but as far as I know ddd also works on retail discs. I just haven't tried one yet because I'm lazy.

-shadow-

I'm just wondering, if I were to use this exploit can I adjust (or remove entirely) the terrible VC filter? I like the idea of switching the ROMs, but honestly my biggest concern is that filter. It's the only reason why I'm considering this actually. It's that terrible!

Kouriozan

for nintendo DS games, it's hilariously easy.

You weren't kidding, it's really easy.
I got a .nds dumping Kawashima though, tried to replace it with FF XII Revenant Wings and it works.
Now I can replace Golden Sun GBA with my dump since the eShop version is English only, sweet!

Robin64

For DS games you can also upscale.

Native res:
0o7Rude.jpg

Forced 2x internal res:
H8T4fGq.jpg

Delt31

Wait this allows people to play backups online like smash? I thought online was not possible with loadiine

Rich!

Wait this allows people to play backups online like smash? I thought online was not possible with loadiine

afaik, yes it does.

anyhow...http://gbatemp.net/threads/hid-to-vpad.424127/

usb HID support. Including keyboard and mouse. Yes, Wii U now has k+m support for fps games.

GC-Adapter:
You can plug in the controller in any port, if mutiple pads are connected only one pad is used.
Mapping is the same as gc-to-vpad by FIX94. To quote him:
"It just works like you would expect for the most part except for Z, holding down Z will switch L to gamepad L, R to gamepad R and start to gamepad minus, A to gamepad left stick pressed and , B to gamepad right stick pressed. This is done for convenience purposes."

Playstation 3/4
Works as aspected, button layout is the same as on the gamepad (Circle is A, Cross is B etc.)
Rumble is currently not working.

Mouse support:
Currently mice are supported in two different modes. Pressing F1 on a connected keyboard will change the mode
- Touch mode (Touchscreen emulation) (default)
- Aim mode (Right stick emulation) (Left click is ZR, left click R)

Keyboard mapping:
LStick = WSAD
DPad = Arrowkeys
A = E
B = Q
X = Space
Y(Z) = R
Plus = Enter
Minus = Minus (Numpad)
L = V
R = B
ZL = Shift
ZR = N

wheres the bloody wii u homebrew OT, ehhhh?

Neku89

Rich, what base game are you using to "inject" DS titles? I am using Mario Kart DS, but I've read that later games (like Advance Wars) have better DS emulators. I've tried injecting Elite Beat Agents and it seems to work flawlessly (only did a couple of songs though), but The World Ends With You hangs after the first battle... Do you suggest to try with a more recent version of the emulator?

so this shit was ridiculously easy to set up.

Literally as simple as going onto a website and clicking a link. Homebrew channel loads up instantly. Backup loader works with no extra setup required. There's an app to dump your digital titles, and ROM injection is hilariously easy (drag and drop a ROM, rename and edit an ini file).

Look, banjo on my Wii U:

Banjo works perfectly. Even the framebuffer tricks that homebrew emulators struggle with (jigsaw transitions) are displayed flawlessly. Just gotta mess with the settings to fix the scaling and gamma, and it'll be perfect.

It's time for a Wii U Homebrew thread. I would do it but I am restricted for another month yet.

What do you need to change to inject new ROM? I've dumped Mario Party 2 and I want to get GoldenEye working.

btrboyev

Alright, just to confirm:

I'll update my Wii U right now to the latest version.
I'll head out to buy some Nintendo bucks.
I'll buy one VC game of each platform, so I'll have all the emulators.
I'll click the site on my Wii U to install the Hack along with the homebrew channel.
I'll spend the rest of the week ripping all of my old games, inject them into the downloaded VC titles (and fiddle around with the gamma values).

Have I forgotten anything?

That's a lot of work when you could just get a rasberry pie.

afaik, yes it does.

anyhow...

usb HID support. Including keyboard and mouse. Yes, Wii U now has k+m support for fps games.

Wait, people can play modded games online now? They can play any game with a keyboard and mouse?

Basically what I'm hearing here is Splatoon is ruined. Probably Mario Maker too if you can easily upload impossible courses.

Chucker

ddd isn't playing nice. I've got my ip, i've set up titledumper, it loads, pauses for a bit but nothing happens and then loads the game eventually.

Edit: Default IP had a 178 where there should have been a 1. Fixed!

Double edit: /vol should get everything I need, right?

Rich!

Wait, people can play modded games online now? They can play any game with a keyboard and mouse?

Basically what I'm hearing here is Splatoon is ruined.

yes you can

and well, it means I may actually buy splatoon now that I won't be forced to play using the bulky gamepad. I can play it now using a dualshock 4 or a kb+m. That's awesome.

Forgive me because I've been out of the loop with Wiiu.

I havnt updated my wiiU since xmas. Is there any advantage to being on the older firmware or should I just update ASAP?

yes you can

and well, it means I may actually buy splatoon now that I won't be forced to play using the bulky gamepad. I can play it now using a dualshock 4 or a kb+m. That's awesome.

It's actually horrible for people who enjoy playing online without hackers ruining it, but whatever.

The emulators and stuff doesn't effect my enjoyment of my games, hackers junking things up online does.

Backups can't be played online. Gbatemp confirmed

That makes me feel a little better.

I'm not a fan of homebrew on active platforms after the way it effected the lives of the DS and PSP, but as long as it doesn't effect me what do I care.

Like I said before though, people messing with online games I'm playing is like a pet peeve of mine. I struggle enough with Splatoon playing against people who are obviously communicating in some way, I don't need people cheating too.

Won't stop people from using the other control method though. The emu stuff is interesting. Can you do the same with SNES titles and has anyone tried Star Fox and Yoshi's Island like previously asked. Removing the NES blur would be cool.

D'oh!

I wish Nintendo removed the NES blur and corrected the gamma, but I also have all those games and an Analogue NT.

alf717

Then hooray! Carry on, everyone.

Won't stop people from using the other control method though. The emu stuff is interesting. Can you do the same with SNES titles and has anyone tried Star Fox and Yoshi's Island like previously asked. Removing the NES blur would be cool.

anx10us

Banned
yes.

for nintendo DS games, it's hilariously easy.

see that? that's what the DS emulator loads. It's a NDS rom in a zip file. I just renamed it to .nds and it works on retroarch and on my 3DS in an R4 flashcart. I also replaced it with chrono trigger...and it works on the Wii U!

Any idea if this works for N64 as well ? To be clear, I need to buy at least one N64 virtual title, I can then inject my roms into this ? I could even have a icon per game ?

Kid Ying

My wiiu is japanese. Can i use this exploit? And by using, can i play region locked games? I think that's the only thing i truly want.

SScorpio

Rasberry pie can't do WiiU gamepad off TV play?

No it can't, but with an LCD and case that has a controller in it, you can use the Raspberry Pi as a self contained handheld that runs off a battery and take it anywhere. It's smaller and easier to hall around than an entire Wii U.

Holy fucking shit

DS ROM injection is literally a matter of just replacing the ROM in the zip file. Every single one I've tried works flawlessly.

Even massive 128mb ones like this:

This changes everything; being able to play my DS games on the TV is something I've been after for a long time now.

Rich!

No it can't, but with an LCD and case that has a controller in it, you can use the Raspberry Pi as a self contained handheld that runs off a battery and take it anywhere. It's smaller and easier to hall around than an entire Wii U.

...you're entirely missing the point.

And I'm talking as someone who knows more about the ins and outs of the raspberry pi than most people (I've built my own consoles before, I have one for sale in the BST thread). What you are suggesting requires quite a lot of technical know-how, lots of money, lots of time and dexterity with physical hardware.

It's not even the same goddamn ballpark.

Top Bottom