• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

AmyS

We got the third one at least :p (sorry guys Gekkirindan is Tatsujin 3 in all but name, down right to the bombs)

You have a good point that Gekirindan is essentially Tatsujin 3,

Xr0yubV.jpg

You have a good point that Gekirindan is essentially Tatsujin 3

have to respectfully disagree. the bomb on the type a ship is clearly a tribute to tatsujin but then the design of the ship itself looks a bit like that from dogyuun. the type c ship is based on that in fire shark and the type b ship is based on twin cobra, and you wouldn't say geirindan is a sequel to those just because of that.

its just some ex toaplan guys paying tribute to their old employees. the game itself is very different from tatsujin and completely stands apart from a gameplay standpoint.

Fularu

Banned
have to respectfully disagree. the bomb on the type a ship is clearly a tribute to tatsujin but then the design of the ship itself looks a bit like that from dogyuun. the type c ship is clearly on that in fire shark, and you wouldn't say geirindan is a sequel to fire shark just because of that.

its just some ex toaplan guys paying tribute to their old employees. the game itself is very different from tatsujin and completely stands apart from a gameplay standpoint.
That was tongue in cheek. Just like Batsugun isn't Tatsujin 3

Delighted to tie up a few loose ends in my 360 Cave collection. Mushihimesama HD came with an unused DLC code for Cave Matsuri Ver. 1.5 mode, which as far as I know remains unavailable to obtain on 360 (it was never listed on the marketplace) to this day. The game discs are in immaculate condition, and the OST collections for a couple of the sets are still sealed!

dsc00008pnxom.jpg

dsc0000950b7l.jpg

dsc0002035ah5.jpg

Delighted to tie up a few loose ends in my 360 Cave collection. Mushihimesama HD came with an unused DLC code for Cave Matsuri Ver. 1.5 mode, which as far as I know remains unavailable to obtain on 360 (it was never listed on the marketplace) to this day. The game discs are in immaculate condition, and the OST collections for a couple of the sets are still sealed!

Even got the fancy editions, too, very nice.

Raiden V PS4/PC confirmed for October 5.

PC is Steam and GOG too!

Link here

Maybe it is just the stats and data nerd in me but I am a huge fan of shmups (or any unusual to modern standards aspect ratio) using the empty space with all sorts of winamp-esque doodads telling me shit about the goings on.

I'm trying really hard to go digital as much as possible, but am super tempted to pick up this one physical.

Eolz

Not sure if that was shared, but Rice Digital has the Raiden V PS4 LE at 27.5£ instead of 35£.

Awesome!
Great pics too!

Coda

dsc00008pnxom.jpg

dsc0000950b7l.jpg

dsc0002035ah5.jpg

Beautiful collection!

Nice Cave 360 collection, think I am only missing DS 2 - but I'm not really bothered about that game.

Can someone remember someone posting a pic of a vinyl record that was the sound track to a STG. I can only vaguelly recall the cover, because it was like a screenshot of the game on a CRT - or an image of the game tarted up like it was.

Any ideas?

AmyS

Soldier Blade is bloody amazing, holy shit

I love all of those games that appeared on the PC-Engine / TurboGrafx-16

Blazing Lazers / Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Violent Soldier / Sinistron
Soldier Blade
Final Soldier

Edit: I was sold on Blazing Lazers thanks to Electronic Gaming Monthly's two page spread in their issue #4

Review:

4sNYFYy.jpg

Also, EGM and GamePro's Super Star Soldier coverage.

EGM and GamePro's Sinistron (Violent Soldier) coverage.

Final Soldier, Spriggan

EGM and GamePro on Soldier Blade

1upsuper

Hey, all. I'm looking for some classic-styled SHMUPs released in the last few years. I like bullet hells of course but my real love is 8- and 16-bit SHMUPs; stuff like Gradius, Darius, etc., with environmental obstacles, fast, stray bullets, and more twitch-oriented play. Sometimes I just get tired of ugly low poly coins filling up the screen.

I've played the latest DariusBurst release as well as Hydorah, and I'm looking forward to Super Hydorah. Plus some retro-styled twinstick shooters like Monolith. And I just found something called Z-Exemplar that looks promising.

What else is there?

Hey, all. I'm looking for some classic-styled SHMUPs released in the last few years. I like bullet hells of course but my real love is 8- and 16-bit SHMUPs; stuff like Gradius, Darius, etc., with environmental obstacles, fast, stray bullets, and more twitch-oriented play. Sometimes I just get tired of ugly low poly coins filling up the screen.

I've played the latest DariusBurst release as well as Hydorah, and I'm looking forward to Super Hydorah. Plus some retro-styled twinstick shooters like Monolith. And I just found something called Z-Exemplar that looks promising.

What else is there?

this is where i recommend satazius.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203990/SATAZIUS/

Dinjoralo

What else is there?
I'm not sure if it totally fits, but I think Mecha Ritz fits that bill, somewhat.
Boop.
Okay, looking at it again, no it does not. It's still good, though.

@MUWANdo

Banned

What else is there?

Strania! It's a relatively recent game with 3D graphics but it's definitely not a traditional danmaku and takes a lot of influence from 16-bit console games like MUSHA.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/407380/Strania__The_Stella_Machina/

1upsuper

Thanks! Interestingly enough it was already in my Steam library, but I have never played it. I will now though.

I'm not sure if it totally fits, but I think Mecha Ritz fits that bill, somewhat.
Boop.
Okay, looking at it again, no it does not. It's still good, though.
That looks decent, but yeah, not really what I'm looking for right now. Thank you though!

Strania! It's a relatively recent game with 3D graphics but it's definitely not a traditional danmaku and takes a lot of influence from 16-bit console games like MUSHA.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/407380/Strania__The_Stella_Machina/
Added to my list. Thank you.

I'll gladly accept more recommendations!

EXMaster

What else is there?

Sounds like you would go for the Picorinne Soft shooters. Specifically Battle Crust:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/444710/Battle_Crust/

And the Infinos games (which aren't on Steam but are sold via Playism):

http://playism-games.com/game/169/infinos
http://playism-games.com/game/199/infinos-2

Super Star Soldier (along with Mr Heli) was my most played PC Engine game, I loved it. Heavy Unit got a good look in as well. I bought the arcade stick because of them.

Yes Boss!

https://abload.de/img/dsc0002035ah5.jpg[/IMG]

I'm guessing you are likely tracking but the Instant Brain release also has the only 360 port of DoDonPachi unlockabke in it. Fudoh has an unlock save file on shmups...or there are guides to get through the game for the language challenged folks. But it has a relatively inexpensive SE to add to the Cave SE releases:

gafR2Uh.jpg

For blazin lasers I use weapon 1 exclusively as it doubles the amount of heat seeker missiles on screen which is devastating. Fully powered w splash damage, 8 homing missiles kills everything almost instantly. For bosses, ship's rarely in danger of direct line of fire.

Regiruler

Ok, I'm convinced Soldier Blade is among the top 10 shoot em ups of all time. Operations 5, 6,
and the final operation
are such amazing setpieces that call back amazingly well to previous parts of the game.

ChryZ

What else is there?

These were not mentioned yet and should match what you're looking for:

WOLFLAME
ZANGEKI WARP
Supercharged Robot VULKAISER
Redux: Dark Matters
Syder Arcade

Another gap in the Cave collection filled... sealed copy of Deathsmiles II: Makai no Merry Christmas LE (along with the infamous misprinted 'Deathsmiles III' DLC card). I already have a copy of the standard edition, but seeing how I'm hoovering up all the LEs lately, I couldn't say no to this one.

dsc00037l6uqw.jpg

dsc00041plu7g.jpg

dsc00048txubg.jpg

I'm guessing you are likely tracking but the Instant Brain release also has the only 360 port of DoDonPachi unlockabke in it. Fudoh has an unlock save file on shmups...or there are guides to get through the game for the language challenged folks. But it has a relatively inexpensive SE to add to the Cave SE releases:

You know me all too well, Boss... truth be told, I'm waiting for someone a little more local to me to sell one, as the costs for importing from Japan these days are really high for me - it just doesn't make sense for anything other than absolute essential items.

on a side note does anyone still use blue? ever since purple was introduced kinda hard to go back to blue shot.

red is always better than blue if you point blank enemies, the spread is super useful too. purple looks cool but always thought it too week and risks leaving stuff on screen that you want destroyed.

1upsuper

I played Battle Garegga today for the first time and read up on all its systems and stuff and damn, this game is complex, even by shmup standards. I'm a total scrub at these games despite how many I've played but I think I want to spend some time with this one.

Thank you very much!

On an unrelated note, are there any plans to port Radiant Silvergun and/or Batsugun to Steam or anything? I know the former is on the 360 but I don't have any intention of buying one of those.

RSG seems unlikely because 1. If Treasure was going to port it, they'd have done so back when they did Ikaruga, and 2. Treasure is pretty much dead.

However, with companies like Degica and M2 doin' work, never say never.

Top Bottom