• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break gets Xbox One X patch for 4K

Ushay

I stopped playing after act 2 started, now I have a reason to jump back in! Legit surprised this is happening now.

Now I just need an XCOM update and will be 100% set on launch day.

ethomaz

Banned
Is there any way to make the PC version not look like trash? The IQ is horrible. There is a nice looking game underneath, but it's so blurry!
Disable the reconstruction resolution and change the AA.

Helix mod helps to disable motion blur.

Alebelly

No. It's full of unexplained story beats and cliffhangers like alan wake was. What story there is is "eh" by the end, and the gameplay itself is nothing to write home about it. I was bored before it ended, and annoyed that I wasted time on it.

But hey, you're in a QB thread, so there's a probably some dissenting opinion here :p

Thanks, I appreciate the insight

No. It's full of unexplained story beats and cliffhangers like alan wake was. What story there is is "eh" by the end, and the gameplay itself is nothing to write home about it. I was bored before it ended, and annoyed that I wasted time on it.

But hey, you're in a QB thread, so there's a probably some dissenting opinion here :p

Hi I'm some dissenting opinion, pleased to meet you.

datsunzep

Considering my 6700k/1070 rig hovers between 50-60fps @1440p with AA off on the steam version, this will come nowhere close to 4K unless they turn a lot down and even then it will probably closer to the 20fps side.

Waaghals

I have finished both Alan Wake and QB, and I like QB much more than AW.

It has more likable characters and much better and more varied combat. Now, mind you, the combat system isn't a revelation or anything, but it is decent.

The game also does not end on a cliffhanger as such. It wraps up all current events, with a hint that
things might not be okay in the long

thelastword

Banned
It won't be 4K lol) They really should stop such marketing bullshit

Gtx 1060 with 6Tflops can only do 1080p/30fps in this game
1060 is not 6Tflops and generally NV cards do worse in this game than AMD cards, but you're right otherwise..... XBONEX is not going to do anything close to native 4k on this title....

MrBS

I'll be ready to eat some crow if this somehow manages to be native 4K. Some upscaling technique will be in force here surely.

Don't listen to that guy, that's complete nonsense.

As far as the story goes, if you make sure to grab all the collectible, read the emails, listen to the voice messages etc. then it expands upon the story a great deal and it adds a huge amount of backstory and motivation for the characters you see during the TV segments.

It's a very linear game so those items aren't particularly difficult to find and it's definitely worth it.

As far as the gameplay goes, don't play it like a cover shooter and experiment with ways to combine your time powers. Stay on the move as much as possible and link your powers together and it's a lot of fun.

Except for the final battle which is just crap.

You should definitely play it though.

Probably one of the more underrated games I played last year. Wish we'd see a sequel someday but that has a zero percent chance of happening

Help me out GAF

One of my all time favorite games is Max Payne 2, the writing is so fucked up and genius

I despise Alan Wake, the narration and writing makes me want to... play something else

I haven't played QB, but I am a huge sci-fi fan, but I really, really despise Alan Wake

Should I play QB?

The game was fun, the story was Ok, but I also skipped all the "TV show" bits. Very pretty with some weird visual artifacts here and there.

Hawk269

Very interested to see how they pull this off. Native 4K is still tough with QB on the PC - not even the fastest GPUs can push real 4K in that game at high frame-rates.

Perhaps it'll use the same reconstruction technique as the original using a 1080p frame rather than 720p like on current XO.

I agree. I have a rig with 2xTitan XP overclocked and it struggles, but boy does it look really good. I have pushed it to go 60fps and it can hit it sometimes, but drops a lot. I have not tried locking it to 30fps though. Wonder if that is what they will do is 4k/30fps, but the way that game was made perhaps that is not possible. Regardless, glad that it is getting some love...very under-rated game.

I'm really happy it is happening, because it sure seemed it wasn't. I mean MS didn't spoke about QB at all early this year when they reflected back on last year....not good. And sadly no DLC was ever announced. Great news. Game should look fantastic on One X. It already looks great on Xbox One, but blurry though and you just see the Xbox One hardware isn't doing that game justice.

Now for that Sunset Overdrive and Ryse patch.........

if only.

tootie923

I played this early in the year and it was pretty darn good, albeit with repetitive combat. I guess I'll save my alternate choices playthrough for Xbox One X, but I'm not even sure I'm going to buy one anytime soon, or at all. I'd love an Alan Wake upgrade.

Nowise10

Help me out GAF

One of my all time favorite games is Max Payne 2, the writing is so fucked up and genius

I despise Alan Wake, the narration and writing makes me want to... play something else

I haven't played QB, but I am a huge sci-fi fan, but I really, really despise Alan Wake

Should I play QB?

I've played through all Alan Wakes and played through Quantum Break multiple times - QB is by far better then Alan Wake. Gameplay, story, dialog. Much more interesting.

Not a fan of the integrated TV show aspect. That is where the game hurts the most.

dr_rus

I think the most close to the final resolution less artifacts is notified.

720p reconstructed to 1080p is 2x the resolution.
1080p reconstructed to 4k is 4x the resolution.

That is why I believe the resolution will be higher to reconstruct to 4k... 1800p reconstructed to 4k will give less artifacts than what you saw in XB1.

I think XB1X can reach some resolution close to 1800p (1600p?) where XB1 reached 720p.

Native 4k is probably out of question.

It's probably easier to just use the 4.5x flops increase between XBO and XBX to see where they may land with actual rendering resolution.

If the game was 720p with 4x MSAA on XBO then the closest "normal" res with a factor 4.5x pixels would be 2560x1440. 3200x1800 is a bit too much I think but they can opt for something in-between, something like 3000x1688 or something. My money is on 1440p with 4x MSAA reconstructed to 4K though.

It's probably easier to just use the 4.5x flops increase between XBO and XBX to see where they may land with actual rendering resolution.

If the game was 720p with 4x MSAA on XBO then the closest "normal" res with a factor 4.5x pixels would be 2560x1440. 3200x1800 is a bit too much I think but they can opt for something in-between, something like 3000x1688 or something. My money is on 1440p with 4x MSAA reconstructed to 4K though.

QB is a bit of a mess IQ wise. If they could hit 1440p natively with 4x MSAA that would probably look as good/better if they just left it at that res and upscaled to 4k. Or did 2xMSAA at 1800p or something. In terms of what would be easiest for implementation they'll probably go with the path of least resistance which would be as you suggest, just 1440p instead of 720p while leaving everything else the same.

EvB

I think the most close to the final resolution less artifacts is notified.

720p reconstructed to 1080p is 2x the resolution.
1080p reconstructed to 4k is 4x the resolution.

That is why I believe the resolution will be higher to reconstruct to 4k... 1800p reconstructed to 4k will give less artifacts than what you saw in XB1.

I think XB1X can reach some resolution close to 1800p (1600p?) where XB1 reached 720p.

Native 4k is probably out of question.

The artifacts acts aren’t down to the base resolution, they are down to this temporal method used. Which spans 4x the number of frames of a checkboard reconstruction.

Also, 720p is approx 66% of 1080p, rather than it being a straight half or quarter.

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your post.

Awesome , one of my fav games this gen and personally one of the best looking .

I only wish this update included some kind of combat wave based arenas to flesh out the content .

RedRum

Banned
Picked it up and never finished it. I might try it again. That said, didn't even know that it was 720p-athetic.

ethomaz

Banned
The artifacts acts aren’t down to the base resolution, they are down to this temporal method used. Which spans 4x the number of frames of a checkboard reconstruction.

Also, 720p is approx 66% of 1080p, rather than it being a straight half or quarter.

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your post.
No you are right but I believe if you use a high resolution for this temporal reconstruction it will decrease the number of artifacts because you need to reconstruct less.

The artifacts acts aren't down to the base resolution, they are down to this temporal method used. Which spans 4x the number of frames of a checkboard reconstruction.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood your post.

1080p is 2.25x pixel count over 720p, which about 45% actually.

dreamfall

It was one of the few/only games I ever said to myself, damn I wish the game had more combat set pieces.

I enjoyed the gameplay a ton, even if the story/characters didn't really resonate with me like every other Remedy project. It'll be nice to replay this with some added visual/performance bonuses.

Top Bottom