• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakamoto: Want more 2D Metroid? Buy Samus Returns

RagnarokX

Because it's a statement that shouldn't need to be made unless the series was on its' last legs.

Don't be overly dramatic. Metroid has a history of not having very high demand and that's all he's saying. He wants to keep making more games but unless demand increases dramatically the long periods between games will continue.

GPBZbFz.png

You want more 2D Metroid? Then don't let this be another Zero Mission.

Cerium

Don't be overly dramatic. Metroid has a history of not having very high demand and that's all he's saying. He wants to keep making more games but unless demand increases dramatically the long periods between games will continue.

GPBZbFz.png

Why are you posting Chartz numbers.

ASaiyan

Banned
I spend half a week trying to preorder a limited edition, got two cancellation, still one holding (fingers crossed)

If Nintendo want us to buy the game, they should first produce it in decent quantities...
Haha, I gave up on trying to get the LE real fast, lol. Demand forecasts have never been one of Nintendo's strong suits. The NA one isn't that great though, so I don't feel like I'm really missing anything.

Koren

By the way, since they're people asking how to get Other M 2...

What do I do to get a Metroid Pinball 2? Not a terrifig game, but I still find it really enjoyable... Still playing it from time to time, in fact.

GPBZbFz.png

Zero mission numbers are really, really sad, it's a wonderful game.

Also, I thought ******** was dead for good? T_T
Edit: OK, it's still banned, good news ;)

Gartooth

This should have been obvious to everyone here. No 2D Metroid at all for over 10 years when Zero Mission bombed, then Metroid is dead completely after Other M bombs. This very much feels like Nintendo testing their audience after all the demands for a new Metroid game to see whether there they put their money where their mouth is.

I spend half a week trying to preorder a limited edition, got two cancellation, still one holding (fingers crossed)

If Nintendo want us to buy the game, they should first produce it in decent quantities...

They...they have a regular edition of the game readily available.

And you're saying they shouldn't produce a Limited edition in a limited quantity?

I planned on buying the Collectors Edition and Amiibo anyways. We haven't had a 2D Metroid for 13 years. Hopefully this will do well enough to finally warrant a sequel to Fusion, a la Metroid 5.

13ruce

Banned
Actually small confession i liked Other M but only because a friend got it and we played through it together with some other friends.

Funny enough i got that friend into Metroid lol. We played through the Prime Trilogy with like 4-5 peeps..

Ah those good old days when i had much free time and my friends too and had a gaming room were we gathered daily to play all kinds of games on all platforms.....amazing this was when i was 13-14 or so the game room lasted 5 or so years was awesome everyone brought games food etc and more people too etc, eventually we got older and got work or to college/go out/girlfriends etc so that was when it stopped:p still my favorite gaming experience.

Btw i do dislike the story tho played it again a few months ago (never played it since so that's 7 years ago last i played other m) gameplay is not that bad but the story is cringeworthy AF. Maybe as a teen i did not care about it or something.

I myself got into Metroid through a friend in primary school he gave me Zero Mission. Still got the game and luckily it does not have a battery that can die like some advance games can have sadly, but a chip and my kyogre sp still works so i replay that one from time to time damn amazing game.

qko

I already preordered the overpriced-inferior-to-other-regions Special Edition.

Gimme moar 2D Metroid, Sakamoto.

Especially if 2D means Sakamoto is constrained from adding story like in the 3D Other M.

That's how business works! They won't keep making games if people don't buy them. Thankfully Samus Returns looks amazing so it should sell without much of a problem.

Unless you're some kind of moron that likes Metroid but gets yourself all worked up about amiibo or 3ds or whatever other stupid excuse.

VDenter

Banned
I bought every single Metroid game to date but between this and the amiibo crap no thanks Nintendo. If this means the end of 2D Metroid then so be it.

I'm surprised people don't like being told the truth from Sakamoto himself.

Everyone knows it's true what he's saying. Why the negative reaction to it?

Koren

And you're saying they shouldn't produce a Limited edition in a limited quantity?
Well, it's not officially a limited edition.

Besides, I'm fine with it being limited, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculous.

1500 copy for France is just... stupid. Some resellers chains got 2-digit numbers allotments. Preorders haven't lasted minutes, they lasted seconds, and half of the time they were cancelled later.

Opa-Pa

Because every game series ever works like this and everyone knows it, so when someone involved feels the need to say it outright it feels patronizing and demanding. Not to mention this time it's coming from the same guy that put the series in life support for so long in many fans' eyes.

Gartooth

Unlike the Capcom threat, they have an actually new game.

Yeah I don't think it is a coincidence we are getting both a new 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime at a very similar time. Looks like Nintendo is tedting the waters with both gameplay styles to see if either finds an audience.

Fire Emblem Awakening worked a miracle for that IP so I'm hoping the same happens here.

.la1n

The game appears to be solid so hopefully good word of mouth will carry sales along. A 2D Metroid using the power of the Switch would be a thing of beauty.

I've had the Special Edition preordered since it went up.
I hope every Metroid going forward is 2D, and that the 3D Prime games are completely dropped - and I'm voting with my wallet.

Because every game series ever works like this and everyone knows it, so when someone involved feels the need to say it outright it feels patronizing and demanding. Not to mention this time it's coming from the same guy that put the series in life support in many fans' eyes.
Series was on life support long before Other M.

Because every game series ever works like this and everyone knows it, so when someone involved feels the need to say it outright it feels patronizing and demanding. Not to mention this time it's coming from the same guy that put the series in life support for so long in many fans' eyes.

It was literally a musing, not a call to action. He's saying he'd love to make a 2D Metroid after Samus Returns, but he just clarifies that having such a thing greenlit will be affected by how many people buy a 2D Metroid game. Which happens to be Samus Returns.

It goes without saying. When developers do pull out the threat, it usually bodes extremely poorly for the future of the series.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah no thanks... you either had to make a 3ds one which was fully 2D or a 2.5D for the Switch this is the worst of both worlds and it's also made by developers that showed that can't handle the genre at all.

It can remain on the shelves for me.

Yeah I don't think it is a coincidence we are getting both a new 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime at a very similar time. Looks like Nintendo is tedting the waters with both gameplay styles to see if either finds an audience.

Fire Emblem Awakening worked a miracle for that IP so I'm hoping the same happens here.

Prime 4 could be 2+ years off.

Koren

I don't think the sales are really down, I'm pretty sure it has always been a limited success.

Though I wouldn't be surprised it sells not worse than 3DS Castlevanias, I'm sure they could produce 2D Metroids with reasonable budget and make a small net income on those.

It goes without saying. When developers do pull out the threat, it usually bodes extremely poorly for the future of the series.
The thread title makes its sound like a threat. But the article doesn't. Just answering the question honestly. He would love to make another 2D game, it all comes down to if Samus Returns is successful.

There was alot of guilt throwing in the past Metroid threads on this.

Some People: GUYS BUY THIS NEW METROID GAME SO NINTENDO KNOWS THERE'S STILL A MARKET FOR NEW METROID GAMES.

Sakamoto: If there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.

Some People: WOW GUYS FUCK THIS GAME AND BOYCOTT IT NINTENDO IS TAKING THIS GAME HOSTAGE FROM THE FANS.

This would have been a definite buy if it were also on Switch, but I don't really want to spend $40 on the 3DS anymore. It feels like a game that should have been cross-gen. It's a flawed test, as the 3DS user base isn't as active as it used to be and a good amount of core Nintendo fans - the ones likely to buy a Metroid game - have moved on to the Switch.

1.5 million seller for the previous and critically acclaimed game in the series (Prime 3) is hardly life support. Other M did more damage than you think. It created the longest drought since SM->Prime1 and made Nintendo think that a spinoff like FF on 3DS was a good idea. That's how bad the situation for Metroid was.

If you have to resort to threats to sell your game then I don't give a damn about it.

Make it good instead.

If there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.

Literally how is that a threat. It is likelier he gets to make another 2D Metroid in the future if the game sells well. He's just musing the common sense reality.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I bought FF twice. Where's my Prime 1-2-3 on switch?

Maximo

Some People: GUYS BUY THIS NEW METROID GAME SO NINTENDO KNOWS THERE'S STILL A MARKET FOR NEW METROID GAMES.

Sakamoto: If there is another opportunity to make another Metroid, that is something that I would love to do. Of course, that really depends on how much people really want to buy a 2D Metroid.

Some People: WOW GUYS FUCK THIS GAME AND BOYCOTT IT NINTENDO IS TAKING THIS GAME HOSTAGE FROM THE FANS.

More like people pissing on others for not wanting to support a game on a system they don't want to continue supporting, or more importantly not buying it because it locks a difficulty mode behind a expensive hard to get plastic toy that was made before launch. But sure you can use your example if you want.

Top Bottom