• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN possibly hacked by OurMine; Megahurtz stolen, Uncharted downgradeton

Conjo

Banned
Posted this in other thread:

They're still on their facebook in other regions (I assume, due to how facebook global pages work, they got access to all of them)

So supposedy they're "leaked" but they won't share it. Weird wording if you ask me.

(open in incognito or it will redirect you to your region's page)

edit: assuming they actually hacked sony, can they please change my username and fix their database while they're at it

Gorillaz

I want my free knack game I don't care if it was just social media

because I damn sure ain't paying for knack in the year of our lord 2017

WadeitOut

I would be shocked if it's anything more than them getting their social media accounts.

That said I would imagine passwords are now encrypted unlike the 2011 incident.

Yjynx

They should have said all PS Exclusives annouced for xbox on gamescom.

I'm willing to bet that would stir more people. LOL

rrs

Anyone with a tech/security mind, how do they do it? Surely it's not brute force as I'd hate to think corporation accounts use passwords like ihaveadoglol.
It's very likely, or that said hackers found a side door in through an API program

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm sure it will be fine. I mean, the last time PSN got hacked, it's not like it caused any major issues or anything.

13ruce

Banned
Jesus fucking christ not again..... Damn i remember that very bad one where everyone got free games.

Edit: oh social media hackers...

So don’t freak out just yet?

I've heard of OurMine before and I think all they do is hack social media accounts. They've been hacking a lot of celebrity and big name companies online accounts last year and just basically tells them that they need better security. But of course I deleted all my credit cards off PSN just to be safe lol.

Audioboxer

Some sites/apps can be granted access to post to a social media account. If that site gets compromised then tweets can be made from it by the attacker even if they don't have social media account credentials. The most notable one was Linkedin.

It's very likely, or that said hackers found a side door in through an API program

That makes sense and I know what you mean as I've used apps before that connected to my Twitter account. They've hit FB as well though, unless whatever was used was linked to FB too.

Pretty embarrassing all round for Sony, more so than Shu's personal account getting hit.

So we are holding at Defcon 3?

Defcon 4 at most, since at first glance this is just a hijacking of the Twitter and Facebook accounts (and frankly "we've hacked PSN again" would almost certainly be the first thing anyone who successfully hijacked an official PlayStation account would tweet).

Yjynx

That makes sense and I know what you mean as I've used apps before that connected to my Twitter account. They've hit FB as well though, unless whatever was used was linked to FB too.

Pretty embarrassing all round for Sony, more so than Shu's personal account getting it.
Isn't supposed to be Twitter and FB fault?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I just got added to a group on PS4 by some weird account. What is going on.

I think you can change your settings to block messages and being added to groups by accounts you don't have on your friends list so they have to send you a friend invite first.

That's what I did.

I just got added to a group on PS4 by some weird account. What is going on.

giphy.gif

Audioboxer

Isn't supposed to be Twitter and FB fault?

Unless Twitter and FB have been hacked then it's on Sony is it not? Somehow their social media accounts have been compromised, whether through an app or something an employee with access has done. Or a bad password. Or something someone else with better security knowledge than me can explain.

Companies like this should be changing social media passwords frequently as it is, especially if multiple people have access.

Jedi2016

What's funny is that they keep calling out the companies directly to "fix their security", when it's really Twitter that needs to look at its shit.

Sophia

This is most likely just the Twitter account getting compromised.

That being said, everyone should have two-factor authentication enabled if possible, as well as removed any payment methods from their account.

SZips

What's funny is that they keep calling out the companies directly to "fix their security", when it's really Twitter that needs to look at its shit.

It could be either or. We don't know how secure the passwords were for Sony's social media accounts. It could have been something stupidly simple like SonyNo1 and without 2FA.

Without knowing the full picture, it's not worth blaming one or the other.

Top Bottom