• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Prompto |OT|

MrHoot

Nice episode, definitively more meat than Gladio's. Also definitively cements
Aranea
as the coolest fucking person

Keinning

Anyone that fits this criteria could let me know if I should buy
Episode Prompto?

Your age has to between 20-30 ?
You have to have healthy life style.
You must like Resident evil 4 and 6.
You must have other hobbies outside of gaming.
You must be in a healthy relationship or married.
You must have beat and enjoyed Final Fantasy XV.

What did you think of episode Prompto?

You want to know if the DLC is good or you want a date?
Can't answer sadly because
Resi6 is poo poo

Riddler

Jesus Christ, the camera during the motorcycle ride

UDtqPE7.jpg

Just curious what performance mode are you in? I'm playing on high and don't see any noticeable blurring.

True Fire

It's kind of crazy how much better than Gladio's this is. Story, music, openness, and variety in comparison are so much better. Also Aranea is the best. Still in the middle of it but still good.

They had a lot more time to work on Prompto. Ignis comes out in December, which gives them an extremely long time to work on his.

It also means that the first Season Pass won't even be finished until March 2018 or so. And Tabata wants to do heftier story DLC.

It was pretty solid, although I just admit it did kinda feel like the game going "okay you were confused by chapter 13 this is what we meant" the dlc. Still once all the dlc is out I think I'll replay 15 and play all the dlc in its canon place. This really is a game that's better the longer you wait on it.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Second side quest I stumble upon is a level 99 magitek weapon. Ugh. Bloated stats much? I'm enjoying the episode quite a lot, but no way am I gonna be anywhere near close enough to take that thing on before this is over.

Vashetti

Banned
Second side quest I stumble upon is a level 99 magitek weapon. Ugh. Bloated stats much? I'm enjoying the episode quite a lot, but no way am I gonna be anywhere near close enough to take that thing on before this is over.

You're never 'strong' enough, there is no stat increases/levelling up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I do wonder if you get to explore the rest of Accordo as Ignis.

SilverArrow20XX

Yeah, I realized recently that I'm permanently level 34. Don't know how that thing's supposed to be fought. There are no weapons in the area. Everything does minuscule damage. My instincts tell me there must be a way other than chipping his HP from afar for a dozen hours, but then this is the same game with Adamantoise.

HeeHo

Whaaaat? Is that how the Gladio DLC is too? Taking away exp gains and leveling up seems like that would take a whole lot of appeal for some people because then it's probably just a weird action game.

DNAbro

Yeah, I realized recently that I'm permanently level 34. Don't know how that thing's supposed to be fought. There are no weapons in the area. Everything does minuscule damage. My instincts tell me there must be a way other than chipping his HP from afar for a dozen hours, but then this is the same game with Adamantoise.

Best way that I killed that enemy

Make sure you have Aranea.

Grab sniper or missles from shack near that enemy
Use her Jump attack to stun it.
Use that Triangle button quickshot thing multiple times.
Unleash sniper/missile fire when it's down.
Dodge and use simple pistol until gauge builds back up
Repeat.

DNAbro

Okay finished in just under 3 hours. As I said before it is so much better than Episode Gladio. The final boss/event thing was kind of dumb though.

Gonna go back and clean up the trophies I'm missing so I can get back to 100% completion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Apparently they made a Frozen joke, my friend told me and I read it on a site:

His snow outfit that increases his HP and protects against ice damage because "the cold never bothered him anyway" (the unlock message literally says this).

Apparently they made a Frozen joke, my friend told me and I read it on a site:

His snow outfit that increases his HP and protects against ice damage because "the cold never bothered him anyway" (the unlock message literally says this).

A possible tease for the next KH3 world reveal?

Fj0823

I got lost on some story details. How do we get from the origin story in Ep Prompto to Chubby Prompto trying to talk to cool classmate Noctis?

Neiteio

Man, I already have some fierce nostalgia for this game. I'm itching to play it again, although I know it'll be jarring in a post-BotW world, not being able to climb everything. Heck, I remember in Cleigne there were certain bushes you couldn't cross, lol.

But I love FFXV so much. Some people criticize it as "incomplete," but for me it was quite the opposite: I can totally see where the plot could've been developed more (most notably the Noctis x Luna love story), but overall it felt like two epic adventures in one: The cross-country road trip of the first half, where you immerse yourself in the world and its way of life, and the cross-continental train ride of the second half, which really felt like a deep dive into the heart of darkness, accompanied by some truly excellent set-pieces and cutscenes. Noctis, the bros and Ardyn were all excellent characters. I relished them and miss them now.

It's tempting to dive back in for the Gladio and Prompto DLC (and off-road driving and Ch. 13 Verse II!), but it's also tempting to let them add all of the extra content first, and then start a new file. Hmm.

Enthus

Man, I already have some fierce nostalgia for this game. I'm itching to play it again, although I know it'll be jarring in a post-BotW world, not being able to climb everything. Heck, I remember in Cleigne there were certain bushes you couldn't cross, lol.

But I love FFXV so much. Some people criticize it as "incomplete," but for me it was quite the opposite: I can totally see where the plot could've been developed more (most notably the Noctis x Luna love story), but overall it felt like two epic adventures in one: The cross-country road trip of the first half, where you immerse yourself in the world and its way of life, and the cross-continental train ride of the second half, which really felt like a deep dive into the heart of darkness, accompanied by some truly excellent set-pieces and cutscenes. Noctis, the bros and Ardyn were all excellent characters. I relished them and miss them now.

It's tempting to dive back in for the Gladio and Prompto DLC (and off-road driving and Ch. 13 Verse II!), but it's also tempting to let them add all of the extra content first, and then start a new file. Hmm.

It could be a long time until a "Complete" version releases, and Gladio, Prompto, and 13v2 will only take you about 4-5 hours to complete. If you have some time between games, you might as well knock it out, as I'm sure replaying those few hours some time down the road won't be too boring.

I really hope that an eventual complete version integrates this content into the game. Allow the game to be played in its original way, with the DLC accessible by menu, but also give players the option for a complete experience when starting a new save.

Some ideas for integration -
Gladio -
Force the player to go to a campsite before heading off to Altissia, since the DLC uses the campsite as bookends.
Prompto -
After "Where She Lived" and leaving Tenebrae, switch to Prompto's story. Switch back to Noctis for the Glacian part
13v2 -
Force the player to rest in a barrack in the fortress shortly before finding Gladio and Ignis, and use that opportunity to switch over to their perspective.

Before playing I was saying that these episodes should be worked into the main game during the journey, if optional. I'm close to the end of it now and I still feel that way, even more so. It made me a bit more glad that I watched Brotherhood, and I was disappointed that when they're passing through the snow region on the train that you didn't get to explore any big, pretty snow environments. This fixes that as well. It's nothing amazingly awesome, but it's still a very good change of scenery, if short, and I was surprised that there was a bit of an open world section with sidequests even.

I feel like it has addressed some of my problems with that whole section of the main story.

Some ideas for integration -
Gladio -
Force the player to go to a campsite before heading off to Altissia, since the DLC uses the campsite as bookends.
Prompto -
After "Where She Lived" and leaving Tenebrae, switch to Prompto's story. Switch back to Noctis for the Glacian part
13v2 -
Force the player to rest in a barrack in the fortress shortly before finding Gladio and Ignis, and use that opportunity to switch over to their perspective.

Those are solid but here is where I would integrate them:

Ch13 Verse 2 -
Integrate this after Noctis falls down the chasm when the Iron Giant knocks the bridge out from under him, do the whole of Chapter 13 Verse 2, and then switch back to Noctis waking up in front of Ravus.

Gladio - The same way you described it.

Prompto -
Considering the after credits scene, I wouldn't put this after the Tenebrae section as it wouldn't slot into the game perfectly. The best solution here is to do it the way Gladio worked. Force the player to rest sometime after finding Prompto but before fighting Ravus. Start the episode (possibly add a new cutscene to frame that Prompto is telling a story, which the narration in some scenes help with), and then end it and return from the rest point.

For Ignis,
considering when it takes place, it will have to take place before Chapter 10 or at the beginning of Chapter 11 (When Ignis in the game was explaining what happened to him.)

Of course, for all of these, the credit scenes would need to also be there minus the credits. Make it happen, BD2! :D

SilverArrow20XX

Been doing all the sidequests. Killed that over leveled Magitek. Just spammed Highwind and crackshots for like 15 minutes.

There's only been 5 quests though, and I haven't seen one pop for a while. I'm beginning to thing there's not enough to fully upgrade the snow mobile. I got the 2nd speed upgrade and the first jump and damage upgrades. 26 CPU gathered total, but I have 95 CPU worth of upgrades left.

Been doing all the sidequests. Killed that over leveled Magitek. Just spammed Highwind and crackshots for like 15 minutes.

There's only been 5 quests though, and I haven't seen one pop for a while. I'm beginning to thing there's not enough to fully upgrade the snow mobile. I got the 2nd speed upgrade and the first jump and damage upgrades. 26 CPU gathered total, but I have 95 CPU worth of upgrades left.

I'm honestly surprised at the amount of content in this five dollar DLC. When I saw you could do sidequests and upgrade the snowmobile I was like wtf

It's still nothing like... beefy, but considering the price and how linear the Gladio episode was by comparison I'm still pretty surprised by it.

Enthus

Those are solid but here is where I would integrate them:

Ch13 Verse 2 -
Integrate this after Noctis falls down the chasm when the Iron Giant knocks the bridge out from under him, do the whole of Chapter 13 Verse 2, and then switch back to Noctis waking up in front of Ravus.

Gladio - The same way you described it.

Prompto -
Considering the after credits scene, I wouldn't put this after the Tenebrae section as it wouldn't slot into the game perfectly. The best solution here is to do it the way Gladio worked. Force the player to rest sometime after finding Prompto but before fighting Ravus. Start the episode (possibly add a new cutscene to frame that Prompto is telling a story, which the narration in some scenes help with), and then end it and return from the rest point.

For Ignis,
considering when it takes place, it will have to take place before Chapter 10 or at the beginning of Chapter 11 (When Ignis in the game was explaining what happened to him.)

Of course, for all of these, the credit scenes would need to also be there minus the credits. Make it happen, BD2! :D

I honestly forgot about CH13
the bridge part, yeah that would probably be more seamless and possibly simpler than forcing a rest at some point.

For Prompto
I forgot to mention a plan for the post-credit scene. I feel the DLC handles the whole MT twist much more effectively than Chapter 13, to the point that, anecdotally speaking of course, many people I knew had no idea what happened at the reveal and that Prompto was a clone. I'd say keep the main portion of the DLC somewhere in Chapter 12, post Altissia to not spoil the gang meeting Aranaea there, but move the post credits cutscene to Chapter 13. Maybe force a barrack rest for it instead of verse 2, since the bridge part works better for that.

Also, assuming this theoretical version would launch sometime in very late 2018 or 2019 to fill a hole in Square's release schedule, they could include Brotherhood (the BD version, with Luna scenes), Kingsglaive, and A King's Tale in the "Special" section. Considering the only one of those that they charged for was Kingsglaive, and it would be 2-3 years old at that point, I could see it being thrown in.

I honestly forgot about CH13
the bridge part, yeah that would probably be more seamless and possibly simpler than forcing a rest at some point.

For Prompto
I forgot to mention a plan for the post-credit scene. I feel the DLC handles the whole MT twist much more effectively than Chapter 13, to the point that, anecdotally speaking of course, many people I knew had no idea what happened at the reveal and that Prompto was a clone. I'd say keep the main portion of the DLC somewhere in Chapter 12, post Altissia to not spoil the gang meeting Aranaea there, but move the post credits cutscene to Chapter 13. Maybe force a barrack rest for it instead of verse 2, since the bridge part works better for that.

Also, assuming this theoretical version would launch sometime in very late 2018 or 2019 to fill a hole in Square's release schedule, they could include Brotherhood (the BD version, with Luna scenes), Kingsglaive, and A King's Tale in the "Special" section. Considering the only one of those that they charged for was Kingsglaive, and it would be 2-3 years old at that point, I could see it being thrown in.

At that point make a "Kingsglaive Complete" (Like Advent Children Complete) version and it's perfect!!! :D

Finished it in 2~ hours and I'm super impressed. The surprising thing about this episode is how light on the "plot" it is. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, it just confirms what we already suspected.

Instead of focusing on the events happening to Prompto, the episodes decided to focus on Prompto himself and how he reacts to those events. It was a surprising but wise decision. I didn't expect to get 5+ minutes cutscenes exploring Prompto psychological state and how he's thinking of himself and the people around him but I damn glad we did. Prompto was already one of my favorite characters in the game, and the DLC added even more depth to him, and connected the dots in a beautiful way.

Lots of little lore bits and references in the optional notes, too. Loved collecting them.

And Ardyn continues to be one of the best antagonists in the entire series... That scene, man.

I always thought that Episode Gladio was underpriced for 5$, but for Episode Prompto, it's basically a goddamn steal. I can't recommend it hard enough to anyone who liked FFXV or Prompto character.

ULTROS!

Finished it in 2~ hours and I'm super impressed. The surprising thing about this episode is how light on the "plot" it is. It doesn't tell us anything we don't already know, it just confirms what we already suspected.

Instead of focusing on the events happening to Prompto, the episodes decided to focus on Prompto himself and how he reacts to those events. It was a surprising but wise decision. I didn't expect to get 5+ minutes cutscenes exploring Prompto psychological state and how he's thinking of himself and the people around him but I damn glad we did. Prompto was already one of my favorite characters in the game, and the DLC added even more depth to him, and connected the dots in a beautiful way.

Lots of little lore bits and references in the optional notes, too. Loved collecting them.

And Ardyn continues to be one of the best antagonists in the entire series... That scene, man.

I always thought that Episode Gladio was underpriced for 5$, but for Episode Prompto, it's basically a goddamn steal. I can't recommend it hard enough to anyone who liked FFXV or Prompto character.

I'd say the ++ thing is that
they actually also developed Verstael. It's not super in-depth but he's a much more acceptable character now.

SilverArrow20XX

Awww. After the 6th quest I found a repeat for the 7th. Looks like it'll just be a grind to level up the snow mobile then rather than a bunch of unique fights.

Yup. 8th quest is another repeat. There may only be 6 unique quests.

Edit: Found a 7th quest.

Ricker

Not digging this at all so far...its so clunky,I had sidequest marker disappear on me,the snowmobile is god awful...why do they make you fight level 96 Robots when you are just level 34...? also had a clear all ennemies spot that kept going and going non stop,like a CoD closet that never ends...I also hate that you cant switch weapons,the one you pick up only is equipped...?

The start was good but this snow map is not that good so far...going to restart the map tomorrow and try and get into it,I got a save before the mess started (some caused by me but still lol).

Enthus

Was able to beat the
Aranea
fight on my first try. Cor was much harder. Kind of cool fight.

Yeah, I was expecting some issues like I had with Cor, but I ended up only using the pistol and going in circles around her, dodging her attacks, and using the most powerful link-strike thing.

DNAbro

only the time trial trophy left and ooooh this isn't going to be fun.

this wouldn't be as bad if the loading times to restart weren't awful.

tensuke

Just beat it, really enjoyed it! Totally worth $5, much more than Gladio's (although I thought that was good too). Really wish we could have 2 weapons equipped and have one in place of the sword, or at least more ammo. But hey, still solid. Doubt I'll ever do enough sidequests to fully upgrade the snowmobile, but I did a couple and I'm glad they're in there. Also that
level 99 behemoth
...nah lol. And I don't know if anyone else got this, but towards the end right after the
magitek yeti fight
, as Prompto and Aranea turned around and walked away, Aranea walked straight into the floor and disappeared haha.

I thought Aranea was cool/sexy in the main game.

But she was downright awesome in this. Even with limited time/interaction, her personality was great and dialogue with Prompto was really well done.

Turin

Banned
Expected shortcomings aside(combat, voice acting), I quite liked that. Added a little bit to the overall experience.

Prompto somehow became one of the better things about this game and he even gets more screen time for Aranea. Good job, Prompto.

DNAbro

Random things I learned from doing this a few times

You get a speedboost if you press the gas as the start timer stops
It is actually sometimes faster to jump out of bounds to restart than to click the retry button. It loads faster for whatever reason.

This guy has the times you need for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRAT0mnF7Lo

Now to just execute properly lol

Top Bottom