• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaname Fujioka talks Monster Hunter World: no westernization/casualization

ggx2ac

While this is still off-topic, I don't mind the direction Monster Hunter World has taken and will look forward to seeing if it pays off for Capcom.

I'll also not have to hear about portbegging anymore now that people finally have a Monster Hunter on their console of choice. (while I can also play Monster Hunter World on PC)

It still sucks that Capcom decided to screw over the western fan base by not announcing to release Monster Hunter XX on Switch and 3DS. If you haven't already experienced this with Ace Attorney games or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the west then you won't understand there's still a problem with the way Capcom treats its fans outside Japan that it feels like you need to learn Japanese to avoid getting screwed over by Capcom with the decisions they make.

as if mounting ever was some deep mechanic only the hardcore crowd could master...

I really can't see how going from MH4/X mounting to what basically is Dragons Dogma mounting could be seen as casualization (does this word exist?)

I have yet to see anything making me worry about the game. Even being able to drink potions while walking/running makes sense if you can't exit an area easily w/o being chased by the monsters. These changes are not due to casualization (there it is again), but reflect the (very necessary) gameplay changes, which in itself have nothing to do with a more casual approach.

Definitely. I mean thinking about it, surely the fact that you can run into a separate Zone to heal and recuperate in this makes it...less casual?

There's also the fact that the combat looks more traditional than Gen. Amazing game, but the styles etc. admittedly made it way too easy at times. Adept with those ludicrous i-frames.

People were upset when they thought Bloodborne would take a more casual approach to the Souls-Formula and it turned out to be one of the best Souls games.

Bloodborne for sure is not the greatest. Jim we had a lot of fun together in 4U, but I disagree here. Besides I never said mounting was a deep mechanic, just that the QTE's are there.

JimPanzer

It still sucks that Capcom decided to screw over the western fan base by not announcing to release Monster Hunter XX on Switch and 3DS. If you haven't already experienced this with Ace Attorney games or Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the west then you won't understand there's still a problem with the way Capcom treats its fans outside Japan that it feels like you need to learn Japanese to avoid getting screwed over by Capcom with the decisions they make.

completely off topic

but I've recently completed dai gyakuten saiban and gotta say people need to stop blaming Capcom for not localising it. The game is almost impossible to localize w/o losing most of its charm. Sure, you could just translate it as it is (altough even that would be hard)vbut that would make a (already not very exciting) AA game into the worst entry the series had.

JimPanzer

Bloodborne for sure is not the greatest. Jim we had a lot of fun together in 4U, but I disagree here. Besides I never said mounting was a deep mechanic, just that the QTE's are there.

Even if it's not the greatest it's a very, very good entry in the series, certainly better than DS2 (I hope we agree here).

I remember those times in 4U and really hope we could relive them in World :)

Edit: Sorry for the double post :/

Eolz

That's a weird quote making it even more worrying, or just lying a bit. People that couldn't get in MonHun before won't get in just because there's better graphics all while keeping the same gameplay, and some of the changes are indeed changing the formula, sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst.

Also lol at the better AI part. If you've watched the video, you could see that there was nothing impressive, just basic scripted AI from years ago and a classic evolution of what existed in the series before.

It's not the Monster Hunter fanbase that has a problem with this. It's primarily been the Nintendo diehards within the fanbase that have the problem, made obvious by the posters on GAF who've tried to downplay this game since announcement. Those people and some of the more extreme purist fans of the franchise.

That rumour from a while back also didn't help either.

If it doesn't sell as expected, can't wait to hear the narrative about how it's the fault of those evil Nintendo fans...
Extreme purists never changed anything and still like to believe that Freedom Unite was the last good one.

Let's be honest, Capcom USA/UK has been pretty terrible with the communication around this game so far.

ggx2ac

completely off topic

but I've recently completed dai gyakuten saiban and gotta say people need to stop blaming Capcom for not localising it. The game is almost impossible to localize w/o losing most of it charm. Sure, you could just translate it as it is (altough even that would be hard)vbut that would make a (already not very exciting) AA game into the worst entry the series had.

That's why localisation doesn't only involve translating things word for word, we saw that when a fire emblem fan base decided to translate fire emblem fates themselves that the conversations sounded off in English that they ended up scrapping it.

What about AAI2 then?

From all the footage we've seen its clearly a true sequel with some of the shit stripped. Potion animation can stay in the grave for eternity!

Some people need to press them on the PC release!

You're trying to sell us on the game for months, Capcom PR. Nintendo fans are upset, because Capcom won't localize MHXX, while the new entry is on another platform again. Shit, you'd think Capcom had learned their lessons with Tri when they pissed off the Sony fanbase. Will I can't deny the games core gameplay seems intact, the animations etc. look worse. With a strong focus on things I don't give a fuck about.

And yet here you are in a World thread complaining about something you don't give a fuck about. The Capcom won't localise MH:XX thread is that way.

If it doesn't sell as expected, can't wait to hear the narrative about how it's the fault of those evil Nintendo fans...
Extreme purists never changed anything and still like to believe that Freedom Unite was the last good one.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post. If the game sells poorly it's squarely on Capcom. As you were, Eolz.

LiK

I still don't understand why people are so worried about it. It'll def play better than the damn portables without the shitty graphics and framerate.

jahasaja

not just visually. It lets us enhance the AI behaviours and use that extra computational power to make the actual interaction between all the monsters, creatures and hunters more believable than ever in terms of feeling alive.”

This makes me so exited! The AI is already some of the best.

JimPanzer

That's why localisation doesn't only involve translating things word for word, we saw that when a fire emblem fan base decided to translate fire emblem fates themselves that the conversations sounded off in English that they ended up scrapping it.

What about AAI2 then?

I know what localisation means, but other than all the other AA games Dai gyakuten saiban doesn't take place in a point in time with no connection to real-world history. For the game being fun you just need some basic knowledge about Meiji-Era Japan. You don't need any deep knowledge, but it's certainly not a game you can just start playing as a Westerner.

Haven't played AAI2 yet, that's next on my list.

I still don't understand why people are so worried about it. It'll def play better than the damn portables without the shitty graphics and framerate.

No potion animation and the 4chan rumour though. And that one gif which showed a bowgun as a machine gun. At this point its seems more like concern trolling.

Still pretty skeptical (not about westernization so much as changes made as a result of western focus testing), and I'm not sure I like any of the improvements/additions outside of visuals and maybe the grappling hook, but we'll see how it turns out. Wish they'd at least show the a new monster that I could get hyped for.

Eolz

Not sure how you came to that conclusion from my post. If the game sells poorly it's squarely on Capcom. As you were, Eolz.

Because there's this weird narrative currently in MonHun communities that if you're not a fan of World, you're a Nintendo fanboy, and there's no other reason behind it.
That post wasn't for you specifically, but this fanbase has been a common scapegoat for third party failures over the years.

As long as we agree that it's on Capcom, I have no issue.

And sorry, not sure I understand your last sentence, not my native language.

Edit: as said in previous threads, I'm getting the game later anyway (aka on PC).

And yet here you are in a World thread complaining about something you don't give a fuck about. The Capcom won't localise MH:XX thread is that way.

Funny where did I say I don't give a fuck about MH?

It's literally the same as MH4 and MHX, except now you can move to different parts of the monster.

Maybe if you played MH you'd know that. :(

I know. It's about that there are QTEs :(

Even if it's not the greatest it's a very, very good entry in the series, certainly better than DS2 (I hope we agree here).

I remember those times in 4U and really hope we could relive them in World :)

Depends on what you're looking for. Because builds are way more fun and better in DKS2. Easily. Level design? For sure better in BB.

I'll probably get World, but not feeling it. Lot's of caveats for better "graphics" and framerate still shit.

Raide

Cannot wait for a deepdive into the weapon changes, what monsters it will have a Palico stuff. Guessing GamesCom for that in August?

ggx2ac

I know what localisation means, but other than all the other AA games Dai gyakuten saiban doesn't take place in a point in time with no connection to real-world history. For the game being fun you just need some basic knowledge about Meiji-Era Japan. You don't need any deep knowledge, but it's certainly not a game you can just start playing as a Westerner.

That's why a glossary exists, especially in VNs when they go into technical details related to plot points.

Rappy

There have been QTEs in MH for years, including monster mounting. You need to get over this lol.
What the hell even constitutes at a QTE these days? I wouldn't consider MH having QTEs for years and I don't consider what's in World as a QTE. Previous games didn't really have button prompts but button prompts != QTE.

faridmon

It's sad that they have to parrot this over and over again. The fan base just can't let go of the lineage of hardware these games have been released on. Get over it, this easily looks like the best Monster Hunter ever.

You are creating a narrative that doesn't exist. Its not a system wars, its simply fans worried that the series might take a turn for the worse.

I am not a fan of the series (Might try MH XX if it comes to the west) but I can understand their worry.

No need to bring systems in to the equation.

Estoc

For me, I just got used to having MH on my handhelds, being able to play it anywhere has been a big part of why I like the game.

I will still get World though, whether at full price or not will depends.

ggx2ac

What the hell even constitutes at a QTE these days? I wouldn't consider MH having QTEs for years and I don't consider what's in World as a QTE. Previous games didn't really have button prompts but button prompts != QTE.

In my opinion:

A quick time event is supposed to be something that moves a scene forward.

In Resident Evil 4, Leon running away from a boulder is a QTE.

In Resident Evil 4, Leon having to shake an enemy off of him with a button prompt in combat is not a QTE.

Leon having to go through that whole knife fight scene with that guy is a QTE.

Mounting a monster in MH4 to deal damage with button prompts is not a quick time event.

Now I just opened a can of worms.

Edit: In the QTEs I listed, if you fail them, you die.

In the others I listed as not QTEs, failing them doesn't kill you, this is why I mention that I define a QTE as something that moves a scene forward, otherwise you get stuck at that point if you fail.

silva1991

I have seen improvements. improvements =/= westernization.

Hopefully they will announce more improvements such us increasing drop rates for example.

gtj1092

Because there's this weird narrative currently in MonHun communities that if you're not a fan of World, you're a Nintendo fanboy, and there's no other reason behind it.
That post wasn't for you specifically, but this fanbase has been a common scapegoat for third party failures over the years.

As long as we agree that it's on Capcom, I have no issue.

And sorry, not sure I understand your last sentence, not my native language.

Edit: as said in previous threads, I'm getting the game later anyway (aka on PC).

It's because we know you all from years of posting. To pretend 8 out of 10 people complaining about this game on this forum aren't known Nintendo fans is to lack complete self awareness. First y'all went with the hate it because it's westernized now it's a problem that it's not lol.

It's because we know you all from years of posting. To pretend 8 out of 10 people complaining about this game on this forum aren't known Nintendo fans is to lack complete self awareness. First y'all went with the hate it because it's westernized now it's a problem that it's not lol.

I don't think they're the same people.

You are also missing out the group that want it to be portable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I mean you could consider the combat of the Batman games to be just a series of QTEs

Not really?

There are "prompts" when the enemy is about to hit you, but strictly speaking they are not QTEs. The "reactions" are integrated into the flow of the combat, they are not a distinct part of the game's gameplay as you would have in, say, Shenmue or God of War.

In Batman, the action is not paused, you can ignore them if you want and if you fail them you just break your combo. Besides, you only have to press one button to counter the enemy. It's not like you need to pay attention to what random button you need to press, or follow a pre-defined chain of buttons.

Eolz

Thank you for both confirming my post and showing that you've never read them.
Including how I was looking forward to it since the gameplay demo, that reassured a lot of people after that meh trailer.

JimPanzer

Not really?

There are "prompts" when the enemy is about to hit you, but strictly speaking they are not QTEs. The "reactions" are integrated into the flow of the combat, they are not a distinct part of the game's gameplay as you would have in, say, Shenmue or God of War.

In Batman, the action is not paused, you can ignore them if you want and if you fail them you just break your combo. Besides, you only have to press one button to counter the enemy. It's not like you need to pay attention to what random button you need to press, or follow a pre-defined chain of buttons.

My point was that the definition of QTE is so loose, that you could consider anything which requires a button press a QTE. QTE of any kind aren't a bad mechanic in itself, it only depends on how they are used.

Mechazawa

I hope that's true.

One of the minor benefits of the PC version coming out later is that MonHun pros are going to be able to bang on the in-game systems for a while.

ZoddGutts

Can't blame the MH Team wanting to move onto consoles that are powerful enough to let them bring in new stuff to the franchise. No longer held back by weak hardware tech.

Joey Ravn

Banned
My point was that the definition of QTE is so loose, that you could consider anything which requires a button press a QTE. QTE of any kind aren't a bad mechanic in itself, it only depends on how they are used.

Sure. But the combat in the Batman series is not an "event". If anything, the counter mechanic is more similar to a parry in Street Fighter 3 than to a traditional QTE. In both cases you need to press the button at the correct instant so as to keep the flow of your combo or avoid taking damage. But in the end it is completely optional for successfully overcoming the combat situation. If anything, it only matters if you're trying to optimize the result.

I honestly don't see anything QTE-related in Batman's combat. But to each their own, I guess.

danmaku

If there is one thing worse than grinding for levels, it's grinding for very rare items. Especially if the target takes half an hour to die.

Unfortunately western players are used to grind for loot with awful drop rate (Destiny, Diablo, MMOs...) so I don't think they feel the need to change that.

Sayad

You're trying to sell us on the game for months, Capcom PR. Nintendo fans are upset, because Capcom won't localize MHXX, while the new entry is on another platform again. Shit, you'd think Capcom had learned their lessons with Tri when they pissed off the Sony fanbase. Will I can't deny the games core gameplay seems intact, the animations etc. look worse. With a strong focus on things I don't give a fuck about.
b7d.png

Guess some really do miss the bouncing rabbit animation!

I'm sure some of you will believe him.

It's pretty obvious that they are making changes to better accomoddate the casual western crowd. We have seen the demo so why deny it? Embrace what you have and go on.

The damage control with MHW is pretty funny to watch. Capcom must be scared. MH is their last money maker after all.

Top Bottom