• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In celebration of Final Fantasy's 30th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Opa-Pa

I think my recent playthrough of FF10 with the expert grid warped my perception of the characters because I accidentally made Yuna into a far more powerful than Lulu and it was incredible. She was a black/white mage summoner combo, so much fun.

My main party for the majority of the game was Tidus, Auron and Yuna. Sometimes I swapped Yuna for Rikku when needed since she's super useful for buffs and fast HP recovery.

Kinsei

Banned
I started up FF1 and made it to Pravoka. I'm playing the GBA version as it's the only one I currently own and boy did I forget how easy this version of the game is. I'm going with a Warrior, Monk, W. Mage, B. Mage party and just button mashing my way through everything. I've never actually done the bonus dungeons they added to the GBA version so hopefully they can challenge me.

I started up FF1 and made it to Pravoka. I'm playing the GBA version as it's the only one I currently own and boy did I forget how easy this version of the game is. I'm going with a Warrior, Monk, W. Mage, B. Mage party and just button mashing my way through everything. I've never actually done the bonus dungeons they added to the GBA version so hopefully they can challenge me.

The boss fights in the bonus dungeons can be quite a challenge, especially if you attempt the dungeons early on (i.e. as soon as one of the four fiends is defeated). Though with a bit of grinding up to Level 60 or so, only
Omega and maybe Shinryu
really posed a threat to me.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
aTn9Spk.jpg

The tourist info booth lady doesn't wanna go sightseeing in a town she lives in? Thats sensible if not odd to bring up. In any case the saucer being closed may be worth checking into.

xXfEID0.jpg
V5s8UTP.jpg

This is now a homeowner! And what a home it is! Guess she dedicated it to the memory of her fallen friend, What. This is free place to rest up #7! I mean it cost hundreds, maybe thousands of times more than it would to go to any other inn in the game sure... howevers its theirs now an can be slept in all they want at no extra charge!

RNzKSNO.jpg
B841VqO.jpg

The extreme sports fans have made it back from the Icicle Inn! Wonder if they did ever get to do snowboarding? An check this out, Johnny may be getting married! To be able to say that to This means he's finally over her. Good luck buddy!

XMlRRYr.jpg
tvtwuKd.jpg
yJvZ0kp.jpg

An yep. Business as usual for this tourist trap. Can't believe that guys still learning how to swim after all this time...

xZhV8nr.jpg

Know what could get across? A buggy. Shame ours up and vanished!

CR0l5cS.jpg
CIaC19T.jpg

This ladys tired of the old man talking about trains an is thinking of moving someplace where there are none. More blue text means another hint! Mideel? Got it! An yeah... North Corel is still a crappy place to be.

VhMFvxd.jpg

Sure enough this place is shutdown. Its shutdown so hard theres not even any background music!!

ywXr8fv.jpg
iaVuUTa.jpg

Don't know how this first person knows they're missing a friend but they're right. Gotta find him! Second person doesn't know what a Life Stream is and offers bad advice! I'm sorry but they've re-visited Bugenhagen for advice a bunch of times already an he's been of no use.

5ddf9HS.jpg

Are you effin' kidding me? These people truly have no shame. Cosmo Canyon is confirmed to be just another garbage tourist town.

AydOpDh.jpg
KUfluWM.jpg

"Selling" a healing materia yes... good info. Remember that roped off part of the item shop? Its open now! This runs into its back room and uh, "buys" the Full Cure materia along with a couple of other goodies. Whats it do? Nothing until leveled up. Once it is, its magic fully heals someone. HP-wise, nothing else. It also tanks the heck outta physical stats. Such a truly terrible and worthless materia!

Zv9DEpL.jpg

The old man finally has something new to say and damn is it doom & gloom o.o;

CtUXR6D.jpg
IXW9pBp.jpg

Umm. You okay Bugen? Talking to yourself don't seem quite right. Nor is having all them quotation marks! Did somebody merge two dialogue boxes into one here? But hey, do go on. If What's found there then...?

nKnjlOL.jpg

LIFE'S DREAM

0Lu56Oc.jpg

Doom & gloom! If Sephiroth can become a Lifestream traveller or w/e then one of his clones has a fighting chance of coming outta it alright if ya ask me!

BBeCYaE.jpg
Tx1pds8.jpg

The actors in Nibelheim aren't taking things very well. Serves 'em right I say!

jNwT4ir.jpg

Since What skillfully played This's piano in the past, she's able to find a free Elemental materia on it!

1FJ5mdf.jpg
BZBU86s.jpg

Huh? HUH?! In the Rocket Town weapon shop a treasure chest has appeared. It was not there on the first or any other visit to the place prior to now. An to make things worse this armor is quite strong! So who'd even find it in the first place?! Ya could argue theres precedent for this with the Elemental materia just above but thats a reward for doing a specific thing. This? It simply shows up outta nowhere just cause the game moved along far enough.

BKyyJLB.jpg
0WYPtKd.jpg

Okies lets calm down an have a good laugh! Game loves its bathroom humor! An then ya got chill people who're just all like we're all gonna die but eh thats how life goes sometimes.

iDaOJjn.jpg

Huh... thats new info. Not a hint towards finding What, but certainly something to keep in mind.

eEUZX7C.jpg
kONj8L2.jpg

Another phantom treasure chest appeared!! Game why are you doing this?! The shop here has updated its materia selection. Throw huh? Haven't come across that one in the wild yet. Guess nows the time to buy one!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This game looks pretty bad on my TV. Is it because of emulation or because it's a PS1 game on a HD TV?

Probably both, to be honest. Remember that the game running at its native resolution would be a postage stamp on your TV and the TVs it was intended to be played on were ~half the size or less physically than your current TV.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This game looks pretty bad on my TV. Is it because of emulation or because it's a PS1 game on a HD TV?
Playing on an hdtv is almost certainly the answer. Have played lotsa PS1 games on mine via PS3 over the years an while its smoothing option helps, its still really easy to see pixels and jaggies and other details stickout which weren't supposed to.

Yeah, the game screen doesn't even take up the whole tv either. It's just a square in the center. I'm also sure FFVIII has a vibration function for the gunblade, but it's not activating here. I pressed the home button and I don't even see an option to turn vibration on or off. What's up with this?

Edit: I found it. It's in the config menu. It's still not working though. My rumble function in my brother's controller must be broken.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
PEBLL3H.jpg
xzbbSJh.jpg
dQlYJRO.jpg

Still more people kicking back and awaiting their fate. Sure is better then going nuts and rioting and such, so I can get behind their attitude!

sF5SKRq.jpg
4hPkQoX.jpg

Sephiroths barrier is adversely affecting Icicle Inns climate? Apparently its gotten far colder around these parts than is normal. More talk about that Mideel place again. Was coming up north not the right idea?

XewWirZ.jpg
K1aDAai.jpg

No blue text here? The old lady is sick but surely she coulda threw some hinty text our way! Got more confirmation that the weather here is all whacked out now.

a3mpdxy.jpg
Lljk3Ty.jpg

No blue again? Guess they must think we've gotten the point already. The local snowboarding safety patrol won't let This hit the slopes. How unfair!

TVw8z3s.jpg

About time the party checks out the much talked about barrier. And boy is it for real! Approaching to closely pushes the airship back!

3uMF8Qw.jpg
8ixkqjv.jpg

With all the talk of the south in mind the team turns the airship around and finds a hut in the middle of nowhere! And a fresh new Enemy Skill materia!!

AD1h175.jpg
LSgNZu0.jpg

And an old guy who's been living alone so long he forgot his name and details regarding his chocobo!

nEZFKCu.jpg

Got alot of clues now as to a potential place What could be but first, lets tie-up a loose end. Throughout the forests of the world somebodys been ambushing the party over and over. Well with This in charge, she demands the attacker taste the power of the ZOLOM!

vBu1VZy.jpg

Yeah they just nuked a kid. What of it?

3P6V4yk.jpg

Wooooooow. Somebodys jealous and a sore loser!

NEIDisr.jpg
gMbBwc1.jpg

Why that little... she stole some of the partys money and ran off! They're SO not gonna let that stand!

Ag4Gjq7.jpg
hOMOiO6.jpg
L5Dw9n9.jpg

Gotta play along with this terrible childs ego and antics to get back what she stole. In return they also get a clearly untrustworthy new ally! If we wanna boost the party roster after losing Look and What we can't really be picky! Oh, and she comes with a Throw materia. Seems we bought that other one for nothing! By the way, weren't they just fighting inside a forest? Where are they now? What is this tree-less place?

iY56uE2.jpg
jd5s87E.jpg

Magic Hammer came in pretty darn useful lately so the party returns to that ugly brown & blah island real quickly ta get it onto the pair of Enemy Skill materia which they didn't have on first visit! And out pops Zenny claiming this place is dangerous! Riiiiight. Points to Mr Meows for being self aware!

KM16MwN.jpg
74s0AHD.jpg
zHplqfK.jpg

And then Shinra goons pop out! They're not intentionally after the party, and Zenny had nothing to do with their arrival, and boy oh boy is this one big mess!

9NsHhQC.jpg
3jPQJWo.jpg

Zenny opts out of helping fight these guys, however they're nothing This and Mr Meows couldn't handle! Somethings funny about their stats though. This's max HP doesn't match what it was just alil bit ago.

orLlQxy.jpg
XSeTs73.jpg

Just after the battle You shows up saying the materias gone! Mr Meows isn't wrong, but north? They were supposed ta be heading south to try an find What. -.-;

jedACwd.jpg

Besides, not ALL of the materias gone! Maybe they should just go south to that other island!

PUBd4Yz.jpg

Maybe they should just go north through this island! ZEEENNNNNNNYYYYY!!!

Kinsei

Banned
I beat the first fiend so it's update time!

The Marsh Cave was pretty easy but I forgot to buy antidotes before heading inside. This resulted in me having to make a mad dash for the exit after getting poisoned on my way out. Astos went down very quickly but he still managed to take out one of my party members with the death spell. What a jerk.

The dungeon where Vampire and Lich reside was hell. It took me over 30 minutes just to get through the first floor because I was getting into encounters every damn step, then I kept getting poisoned draining my supply of antidotes, and finally one of my characters got petrified so now their level ups are out of sync with everyone else. At least both Vamp and Lich were chumps.

Earthgift shrine was fun, I quite liked the desert puzzle room in particular. The two bosses I fought were a huge leap in difficulty from the main game and I love it. Cerberus had me near death for the entire fight since my dumb ass still hasn't bought any full party healing spells. I'm surprised I managed to make it through the fight on my first attempt.The Two Headed Dragon on the other hand was much more manageable. While it hit like a freight train it was also susceptible to slow which made the fight a whole lot more manageable.

I'm going to hold off on the other two bosses (which I assume are Echidna and Ahriman to fit the FF3 theme) until after I finish off the next fiend. I don't want to get bored doing the same dungeon four times in a row.

ArcLyte

Really enjoying X HD on Vita after restarting it recently. The combat is a lot of fun with the character and equipment swapping and overdrives. Can't wait to start X-2.

sphinx

the piano man
so I just made it to the Calm lands on FFX. some more thoughts.

.- For today's "open-world" standards this game is quite short. I noticed in the official guide I have 3 or 4 more places to head to then I can fight the final boss. if I didn't care about 100% or trophies, I'd be over with this game in a couple of days. That's crazy short for a RPG, I am at about 27 hours in.

.- Tons of optional content, including new bosses, dungeons, minigames. Will do them all. Also in today's DLC world, at least half of these would be behind a DLC paywall.

.- Story gets darker and darker:
Seymour and his men are dead and they want death for everyone in spira.

.- Sphere Grid is an addiction, I love to grind in this game more than in other RPGs. Battes are fast and I love how I power-up. way more fun than just collecting exp points and just seeing stats raise.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My first FFX took nearly 42 hours, didn't feel short to me. I had to do a ton of grinding at the end though because I simply could not beat the last boss. Think next time when I'm using a guide an kinda know sorta what I'm doing, a replay would bring it down to a more acceptable length.

Kinsei

Banned
FF1 update #3

After spending an embarrassingly long amount of time sailing around I finally found the crescent lake and got my canoe. The river and Mount Gulg were a decent step up in difficulty from the previous areas, but still quite easy. Then again I did head through Earthgift Shrine twice so I am a bit overleveled. This was quite evident in the Marrilith fight since she went down like a chump. I didn't even have time to get all of my buffs up before she died.

After a quick detour to grab the airship I headed back to face the other two bosses in Earthgift Shrine. First up was Ahriman who wasn't too difficult. It nearly gave me a heart attack when it used quake on it's last turn though. Next up was Echidna who gave me a run for my money. I Don't have any spells or equipment that nulls instant death attacks so I was on the edge of the knife throughout the entire encounter. Thankfully neither of my mages went down so I was able to quickly revive and rebuff my warrior and monk whenever they got hit with quake or death.

The next time I play I want to head for the second optional dungeon... but I don't know where it is. i found the third and fourth ones but the second has eluded me. I guess I'll do the class promotion sidequest and just hope I run into the dungeon along the way.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
so I just made it to the Calm lands on FFX. some more thoughts.

.- For today's "open-world" standards this game is quite short. I noticed in the official guide I have 3 or 4 more places to head to then I can fight the final boss. if I didn't care about 100% or trophies, I'd be over with this game in a couple of days. That's crazy short for a RPG, I am at about 27 hours in.

.- Tons of optional content, including new bosses, dungeons, minigames. Will do them all. Also in today's DLC world, at least half of these would be behind a DLC paywall.

.- Story gets darker and darker:
Seymour and his men are dead and they want death for everyone in spira.

.- Sphere Grid is an addiction, I love to grind in this game more than in other RPGs. Battes are fast and I love how I power-up. way more fun than just collecting exp points and just seeing stats raise.

FFX is fantastic and you're right, the Sphere Grid is wonderful -- easily my favourite FF levelling mechanic.

I just finished my playthrough of FFX HD, took me 61 hours. I did some grinding before going to the final boss in order to get Auron's celestial weapon and fart around capturing some monsters; I'll probably revisit it from time to time over the rest of the anniversary year to get some more celestial weapons and try to beat some optional bosses :)

Such an enjoyable experience, with great music, fun turn-based combat, cool weapon customisation system, and really cohesive story and world-building. Teared up a bit at the ending, couldn't help myself. I really love the final act in general, it builds and builds and feels so epic and exciting after the whole journey leading up to that point. On to X-2 now, which doesn't hit the same highs but the combat and job systems are phenomenal.

On that note, the optional content in FFX can take a LOT of grinding to get through, but if you're addicted to the Sphere Grid maybe that's not a bad thing!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I can't speak to my first FFX run or my second, but my replay this year was my third.

From the beginning of the game until being able to beat the final boss was about 38 hours for me. From the final boss to Nemesis was about another 35-40. And then from Nemesis to the Dark Aeons and Penance was another 8-10. And then I needed another 4-5 to mop up the Sphere Grid stuff.

I didn't use the encounter toggle or speed-up-animations or auto-battle until after the final boss, but then used them extensively for the grind. I think normally it's more like 130-140 hours for 100% completion so I saved probably 40-50.

God damn it, I used to a guide to help me get the FFVII Best Bromance trophy and still ended up with Aerith as my date.
Gonna have to reload my save from before Cosmo Canyon and use the glitch method, which I didn't want to do.

sotojuan

Found out about NeoGAF too late. I've been playing DQ and FF lately.

Right now I am playing X and XII, and maybe I'll start IV soon on my 3DS. I beat VII earlier this year. I also have IX but will wait for my Vita to get here so I can play it on the go.

I'm liking X despite the awful (IMO) character costume design and awkward voice acting. Is it an artifact of JP->EN to have people pause for too long between sentences?

Anyway, the characters range from cool to okay but what I really like is the battle system. It feels super fast, dynamic and I love not having those "Ugh, should've put X in my party!" moments. The transition from walking to fighting is almost instant, though that may be because I'm on PS4.

XII (TZA) is sort of the opposite in some ways. I like the looks of it and the world is interesting but the MMO-style gameplay and battle system just don't click with me. I feel less agency when my characters do all the fighting. Still like it though, just less than X.

--

Also, I don't like to shill but I've been enjoying Dark Pixel Gaming's FF reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJCH8faf6Gax19N4lYQbPrK-is-4m8Kzw

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
d9bl5Q9.jpg
00yABfp.jpg

Boy this place sure is ugly but there is some light at the end of the island. A whole new town we somehow neglected to visit until now!

pxoJhvO.jpg

Aaah! There's there thief!! Problem is she's real quick an runs off when spotted!

I6ARSTy.jpg
wwmAsbn.jpg

While we missed their pre-Meteor/Weapon dialogue, we can still continue the theme of previous updates! An yup even here people in an uproar over that stuff!

9Yq5B4Y.jpg
LFeczUW.jpg

A house ya can't enter? In this game? Thats new. The weapon shop here is for the "hard cores". Guess the party aren't that cause the person at the counter won't let 'em buy anything.

pa8vRju.jpg

!!!!!!! Theres a prize for reading all those flyers!! But last I remember we're only up to 5 of 'em! Could the last one be in the southern island Mideel place??

1k0RLsH.jpg
eAXCdLi.jpg

When they entered the bar to inquire about prizes they found the Turks! On vacation! Elena jumps into work mode which ruins the atmosphere for 'em. They get her to chill out and no fighting is had. Everyone can just go about their day!

LKMBGQB.jpg
b3qIiDe.jpg

Inside the item shop is a new materia ripe for the taking! And it does get taken alright! Zenny dropped down from the rafters, snatched it, an ran off! Grr!

AZmPyyE.jpg
OTFYLBS.jpg

Zenny messing with people is just a way of life around here? Gonna have to be This who sets her straight!

VTTwCuR.jpg
bOYyhm1.jpg

From hyping up some water god scales to being like well they're not that super great or perfect in record time! Still, if these are more then a myth it may be worth keeping an eye out for 'em!

xUgpJVm.jpg
kNYIpfy.jpg

Just wander into someones mansion and take a nap! The owners totally fine with it which makes this free sleepy place #7! For real #7 cause I had been messing up my counting of these!

lAWp325.jpg
w6DvPDI.jpg

Godo claims he doesn't know anyone called Zenny but she sure knows him an calls him out on not standing up to the Shinra yet not totally bowing down to 'em either!

3p5rRMK.jpg
2f5a1j5.jpg
zdMIFOh.jpg

They're father an daughter!? Wow! May not be on the best of terms but a party members parent is alive! Amazing!! Anyway she runs off so its back to the chase!

anz1yXe.jpg]
4tERlm4.jpg

First she hides behind a folding screen, and then inside a big pot! Thats when This and the others finally bring her to justice!

fTEVp3C.jpg
pqwHmyk.jpg
I7jBwJO.jpg

...meanwhile! Shinra goons coming to the Turks looking for help! Reno & Rude aren't interested in calling off their vacation but try-hard Elena runs off to help!

rCmGEpC.jpg

An over to Zennys house... hey!! Why's she hoarding the final Turtles Paradise thing?! I bet she stole it!

uRTlYhk.jpg
8b1CXPP.jpg

She feeds 'em the sob story of how Wutai got its butt kicked so hard by Shinra that it got turned into a tourist trap. That bites an all but the party grinded long and hard for that materia!

y6IpR4R.jpg
6cOZMFB.jpg

She says to flip the left lever to get the materia back but its a trap! In fact both levels bring down the cage! Thats not playing fair at all!

Fr0TLvK.jpg

"Steel" it? I don't get it! Come back here youuuuuu!!!

btw the OP now lists all the free sleepy places! Shoulda done that awhiles ago! Think theres only 1 left ta be discovered at this point to!

sphinx

the piano man
I just tasted a bit of that bullshit near/post-main-game optional trophy stuff.

I just got the two chocobo trophies, the one with the 5 chests and the 0:0:0 time challenge.

the first one was fun,

the 2nd one is entirely luck based, eventually got 15 balloons and no hits but damn, locking a trophy behind such a random no-skill-all-luck based task? tsk tsk, bad

Kinsei

Banned
FF1 Update #4

I finally had a full party wipe. Yay!

The Citadel of Trials was over in a flash and then I was off to see one of my favorite recurrign FF characters (second only to Gilgamesh), Bahamut! With my class promotion I decided it was time to head for the second optional dungeon, the Hellfire Chasm.

I absolutely love how unapologetically weird the optional dungeons are. One floor you are in a firey temple, the next you are in the world map on a quest to find a new airship, and the next you're in a volcanic maze rushing over the lava trying to find the exit before you burn to death. They are nothing like the main dungeons and it's great. Of course the main draw of these dungeons are the bosses so let's get into them. First up was Cagnazzo, who ended up being a nice natural step up from the bosses in the Earthgift Shrine. He wasn't super difficult or anything but he could wipe me out if I wasn't careful. Next up was Barbariccia and talk about a huge difficulty spike. I still hadn't bought any full party healing spells yet and her gust attack REALLY hurt. After two full party wipes i was finally able to come up with a strategy to defeat her. I did wind up having to use a megalixir though and I hate using megalixirs. Just like with the Earthgift Shrine I decided to take a break after finishing off two of the bosses and go after the next fiend in the main game but that ended up being a mistake. Having two ribbons along with some level 8 spells made both Scarmiglione and Rubicante quite easy. Scarmiglione having both of his forms was pretty cool.

The next time I play I'll be heading off to the third optional dungeon. I wonder what bosses from FFV will await me in there.

I just tasted a bit of that bullshit near/post-main-game optional trophy stuff.

I just got the two chocobo trophies, the one with the 5 chests and the 0:0:0 time challenge.

the first one was fun,

the 2nd one is entirely luck based, eventually got 15 balloons and no hits but damn, locking a trophy behind such a random no-skill-all-luck based task? tsk tsk, bad

Thankfully there's only one other major luck based thing in the game, butterfly catching.

I sort of one to write my own book with Final Fantasy VIII's premise. No crazy dreams or time travel though. I felt they dropped some opportunities with the game. It would've been cool to have Xu and that other SeeD member as guest party members.

Opa-Pa

So, chapter 4 was way shorter than I expected. It ended up being about the same as the rest except I made sure to get Cloud so it was still fairly meaty... So easy though.

Hell, the final boss' first phase didn't even get a turn. Yes, I had Orlandu, but still

UL6UYvK_d.webp

It's weird, the last stretch was absurdly easy but the true final boss had so much HP that I think things would have gone south easily had I let him get more than two turns.

Ramza though
vcAfMxy_d.webp

And that's two consecutive hits, I love him.

But yeah, game was fantastic overall. Perhaps my favorite FF branded game! Pretty much my only complaint is how easy it was to break, but then again it's kind of part of its charm too. Oh, and I think the narrative suffered a lot due to permadeath since characters pretty much stop being important the moment they join you
jM6YZuQ_d.webp

And damn, that ending. I'm looking forward to replaying this in its WoTL version.

Kinsei

Banned
Lifespring Grotto was probably the weakest of the optional dungeons so far. I especially hated the dumb invisible walkway floor. Thankfully the bosses more than made up for it. First up was my favorite FF character, Gilgamesh! He was fun but not too difficult when compared to Barbariccia. When I made it to floor 10 I was expecting to fight Enkidu but it ended up being Atomos. Since I had three ribbons the fight was a cakewalk. At this point I was feeling good about myself and expecting the remaining bosses to be a breeze. What a mistake that was. So I make it to the final floor, heal up, and decide to go through the door on the right and was greeted by Shinryu. Ya know I really didn't expect to be greeted by a superboss in the third optional dungeon, I expected them to save that for the end. Anyways, the fight starts and Shinryu completely wrecks me in just a couple of turns with a back to back flare. I try again and the same thing happens. That's when i noticed that he only started casting flare on me after I cast it on him using the judgement staff. I try again this time without using flare on him and he never used it on me. So either this is an actual mechanic of the fight or I got super lucky and beat him at a much lower level than I should have been able to.

I didn't feel like redoing a 20 floor dungeon right after doing it the first time so I decided to go and face Tiamat. Nothing much of note happened during the dungeon outside of how long it took for me to get an encounter with Warmech (called Death machine in this version for some reason). I ended up grinding out 9 levels just running back and forth on the bridge in front of Tiamat waiting for the damn thing to spawn. Normally I wouldn't waste my time doing this but since Warmech is the closest thing to a superboss in the NES version of the game I decided that I had to fight it. I ended up getting a preemptive strike on it and the poor thing only got off a single attack before it died.

After that it was back to Lifespring Grotto in order to face off against Omega. After all the grinding I did searching for Death Machine I was afraid that I was too overleveled and the remaining optional bosses would be a total breeze. Omega put those fears to bed right quick when it one shotted one of my party members with a regular attack. The fight ended up being a long drawn out affair and by the end of it I was almost completely out of MP and was relying purely on the free flare casts from my judgement wands in order to deal any decent damage. I was ready to give up hope on winning as my white wizard cast the final Healaga spell she could afford but the next flare ended up killing Omega. And of course the reward is a weapon none of my characters can use.

The only superboss vanilla FF6 has is Deathgaze IIRC so I assume the final boss of the final optional dungeon is going to be that. I'm kinda dreading how hard it's going to be after Omega.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: "FFT is easy to break" -- yes, it is. But the next time you play, you might deliberately avoid using certain characters or jobs. Like FF5, it's amazing how easy FFT is to break, but how flexible it is if you'd like to play it a different way.

sphinx

the piano man
so I am nearing last part of the main game, I am about to enter Zanarkand after Gagazet, just 1 or 2 more areas til I get the airship

with that the grinding and post-game content commences, right?

so a few questions:

where and how should I grind for

.- Money
.- Items (those for customizing and Rikkus Mixes) (is there a guide for this?)
.- AP points

??

.- Should I customize my capture weapons with double/triple AP to get APs faster while I get 10 of every monsters?

Kinsei

Banned
so I am nearing last part of the main game, I am about to enter Zanarkand after Gagazet, just 1 or 2 more areas til I get the airship

with that the grinding and post-game content commences, right?

so a few questions:

where and how should I grind for

.- Money
.- Items (those for customizing and Rikkus Mixes) (is there a guide for this?)
.- AP points

??

.- Should I customize my capture weapons with double/triple AP to get APs faster while I get 10 of every monsters?

Money: Get Rikku's celestial weapon and then grind mimics. You'll get a ton of money very quickly.

Items: You'll get most of the items you need via the fiend collection side quest. Here is a list of all mixtures: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/15349

AP: First you need to unlock Don Tonberry in the arena by capturing one of every fiend in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Once that's done you then need to get weapons with three empty slots on them and then customize a specific set of skills on to them. First off you'll want the triple AP skill which costs a whopping 50 wings to discovery to customize. You can get 30 to start you off from the Chocobo race at Remiem Temple but after that you'll have to get them the slow way by bribing Malboros. It costs 270k and you'll get two of them. Needless to say you'll want to farm gil before AP. The second skill you'll want is triple overdrive. This costs 30 winning formulas to customize onto it. You get 99 of them for free after capturing one of every fiend in the game, but after that you'll need to bribe sandworms with a whopping 900,000 gil if you want to get more. And last but certainly not least you want to get the overdrive -> AP skill. The skill requires 10 doors to tomorrow in order to customize but thankfully they are easy to get. You just need to capture one of every fiend in six different areas to unlock Catastrophe and you'll be rewarded with 99 of them.

The trick itself is actually quite easy to do once you get the gear you need. Equip your party with their AP farming weapons, set their overdrive mode to comrade, and then go fight Don Tonberry. Every time you attack him he'll counterattack for a ton of damage and kill the person that attacked him. Thanks to your comrade overdrive mode and the abilities of your weapons the other two people on the field when this happens will get a ton of AP. Using this method you can go from SL0 to SL99 in a single fight.

sphinx

the piano man
Money: Get Rikku's celestial weapon and then grind mimics. You'll get a ton of money very quickly.

Items: You'll get most of the items you need via the fiend collection side quest. Here is a list of all mixtures: https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/15349

AP: First you need to unlock Don Tonberry in the arena by capturing one of every fiend in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Once that's done you then need to get weapons with three empty slots on them and then customize a specific set of skills on to them. First off you'll want the triple AP skill which costs a whopping 50 wings to discovery to customize. You can get 30 to start you off from the Chocobo race at Remiem Temple but after that you'll have to get them the slow way by bribing Malboros. It costs 270k and you'll get two of them. Needless to say you'll want to farm gil before AP. The second skill you'll want is triple overdrive. This costs 30 winning formulas to customize onto it. You get 99 of them for free after capturing one of every fiend in the game, but after that you'll need to bribe sandworms with a whopping 900,000 gil if you want to get more. And last but certainly not least you want to get the overdrive -> AP skill. The skill requires 10 doors to tomorrow in order to customize but thankfully they are easy to get. You just need to capture one of every fiend in six different areas to unlock Catastrophe and you'll be rewarded with 99 of them.

The trick itself is actually quite easy to do once you get the gear you need. Equip your party with their AP farming weapons, set their overdrive mode to comrade, and then go fight Don Tonberry. Every time you attack him he'll counterattack for a ton of damage and kill the person that attacked him. Thanks to your comrade overdrive mode and the abilities of your weapons the other two people on the field when this happens will get a ton of AP. Using this method you can go from SL0 to SL99 in a single fight.

thanks! just one question, in what area do I find mimics? also, do I just kill them oruse the steal money ability?

Kinsei

Banned
thanks! just one question, in what area do I find mimics? also, do I just kill them oruse the steal money ability?

You find them in the Omega Ruins. It's an optional dungeon that you gain access to once you get the airship. You kill them.

I'd also suggest adding Auto-Phoenix to armor so you don't waste turns Raising people.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
g3HFM7T.jpg

No I still don't get it!!

WJuVvsV.jpg

Materia is important but so are long awaited prizes! A full stat source set and mega elixir to top it off! Not bad for the minimal trouble went through for 'em!

Ey6ZSFp.jpg
CGqoVrt.jpg

Still dunno what the "steel" things all about but ringing the bell here uncovers a hidden doorway! And look! Someones gone and caught Zenny? Its the partys lucky day! No more chasing after her!

dqjTdmO.jpg
vqKoeDa.jpg

Oh gawds its that guy! Grossness! What's he thinking abducting a kid and a Turk?!

1so6suY.jpg
MH4tjmy.jpg

So he's who the soldiers have been after this whole time! To bad they're not so good at their jobs!

lywq3HT.jpg

Forced to fight against Shinra soldiers as part of a misunderstanding again? The partys had enough an isn't holding back this time! Death magic may be brutal but its amongst the best they've still got on hand! r.i.p.!

L4TW3Vc.jpg
HZLwdq9.jpg

I'm with This! Being friends with the Turks is soooo not in the equation. They'd better stay outta the way!

BYaUgJ2.jpg

The Turks weren't forthcoming on where to go but helpful townspeople do! Its up to the Da-chao Statue, which on the inside is quite dangerous! Remember: Fire! Hot!

4pLEm8K.jpg

On the outside however, ya get some real nice views!

CS1fGtS.jpg
9MfiatI.jpg
81dyyVm.jpg

Gah! This guy seriously needs ta be taken out!

Gr7ulVl.jpg
pMy2Jgy.jpg

When This and the others catch up they do not hold back on expressing their opinions on The Don!

kHCERUb.jpg
n3zU6xo.jpg

He's about ta go into some dumb tale of why he's even here when This just shuts him down. Guess What wasn't the only one not wanting to let villians go on and on! The old man is still holding a grudge against This for killing his pet Aps way back when and calls out his new pet to fight!

DZe706c.jpg
1xFKkEl.jpg

Rapps has the very powerful Aero3 attack and the advantage of the party being materia-less... mostly! Ya more than likely collected a nice amount of X-Potions and items which do strong magic damage on the way here so taking this beast down shouldn't be terribly rough.

3zes4B7.jpg
ZdZa6if.jpg
pryEk4t.jpg

The new pets dead but he's not outta tricks yet! Prepare for SQUASHED TOMATOES!

KUw93EU.jpg

This calls him a coward, Goddamn T calls him a loser, and Mr Meows calls him... vulgar? Thats not wrong but not really fitting of the predicament at hand?

oxifyuQ.jpg
E4yM2CK.jpg

Those guys finally show up in an attempt to steal the teams thunder. They've been after him since Sector 7? Why. How did they know he leaked info an why did it matter? More than half of AVALANCHE was already at the pillar trying to fight 'em off by the time This and What got there.

vrOn1Mi.jpg
HcrvimN.jpg

Wait, what team up?! They didn't do jack to help the party and sat back leaving them to handle the big ol' monster! You guys suck!

ZWKEGRs.jpg
KOltbiV.jpg

Aaaannnddd down goes The Don! To his death? Um sure, lets go with that...

LTTxTvZ.jpg

HQ gives 'em a ring an says they oughta be out looking for What, which is what the party shoulda been doing! Luckily the Turks insist they're still on vacation which gives This some extra time to find him first!

loQoPOr.jpg

Zenny returns the materia with the added bonus of messing up who had which materia and in what slot!

576yD8S.jpg
TX7VRZJ.jpg

Ieyyalv.jpg
cfOOeBd.jpg

This and the others get points for trying to ditch Zenny but its not gonna be so easy! Someone had better keep their eyes on her cause it sounds like the thieving and plotting aren't at their end yet! Anyhow its time ta get the heck outta Wutai and back on track!

hYIoUQF.jpg

But not before stopping at the Cat's House to pick up an HP Absorb materia to compliment the MP Absorb one! With that picked up the partys definitely setting course for an island in the south!

Even after all these years I still wonder why Fujin talks in one word sentences. She shouts them too.

Edit: During every playthrough I notice I always get the weapon upgrades at the same time. I never get Shear Trigger or Maverick as soon as they're available. How do I do this? Is it possible?

sphinx

the piano man
I got my first game over (FFX), it was kind of cheap....

Yunalesca... my characters had zombie status, I gave all of them holy water, she proceeds to use mega-death, party gets insta-killed, game over.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Yunalesca... my characters had zombie status, I gave all of them holy water, she proceeds to use mega-death, party gets insta-killed, game over.

I think that's normally about where I have my first wipe. It's definitely the hardest battle in the game except Penance based on the level of prep you normally have.

sphinx

the piano man
I think that's normally about where I have my first wipe. It's definitely the hardest battle in the game except Penance based on the level of prep you normally have.

I could have won but I used summons in the wrong turns and wasn't really paying attention.

do you know if I can make a character immune to the Mega-Death attack wearing something with the "deathproof" attribute?

I could have won but I used summons in the wrong turns and wasn't really paying attention.

do you know if I can make a character immune to the Mega-Death attack wearing something with the "deathproof" attribute?

The Zombie status she inflicts makes you Deathproof

Edit: misread, not what you asked, sorry

Kinsei

Banned

Deathproof does make you immune to mega death. The fight is more fun without it though IMO.

I managed to beat her on my first try, partially due to luck. I made sure at least one my party members had zombie status at all times so she could never insta-kill the whole party.

sphinx

the piano man
My Auron recently learned Zombie Attack, so I can actually inflict anyone in my party with that condition, the challenge is that she seems to alternate between curaga and mega death, if you get bad luck at least one character dies, either way.

I will unload my Bahamut on her, yesterday it dealt like 25k damage but I used it when she was about to die on her 2nd phase, I wasted the attack :S

Kinsei

Banned
My Auron recently learned Zombie Attack, so I can actually inflict anyone in my party with that condition, the challenge is that she seems to alternate between curaga and mega death, if you get bad luck at least one character dies, either way.

I will unload my Bahamut on her, yesterday it dealt like 25k damage but I used it when she was about to die on her 2nd phase, I wasted the attack :S

The best way of dealing with her Curaga is to cast reflect on your party.

I think she can only use Mega Death once every 6 turns.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since Final Fantasy is my favorite game series of all time, I've been trying to tackle a few of them so far this year. I've finished XV and XII:TZA on the PS4, and have played a ton of Theatrhythm: Curtain Call on the 3DS and just started Pictlogica: Final Fantasy, which I'm really enjoying. I continue playing Record Keeper a couple of times a week to get all the event stuff although it's a bit boring now that I have several parties full of LV99 characters with everything maxed.

I decided this would be the year I finally finish Final Fantasy II. This game is a weird bag for me - my first exposure to it was in 1998 when the Demiforce fan translation was released and I had a Pentium PC (333MHz, if I recall) that could play it. I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to set everything up and was really excited to play "the sequel we never got". Until I actually played it. In my mind I guess I thought it would be more like the US Final Fantasy II, and after having beat Final Fantasy III (VI) and VII by then it was a huge letdown. I believe I gave up after a few hours of "trying to get a feel for it".

I happily picked up the Final Fanasy Origins collection when it released on PS1 a few years later - but every time I booted up the game and was presented with "Final Fantasy" or "Final Fantasy II", I almost always chose the former. I probably played the first game 3 or 4 times from start to finish on PS1, but again only ever played II to watch the "cool cutscene" and maybe the first hour or so of the game. By this time I had already played Final Fantasy X on the PS2 once or twice, so the game felt as awkward and retro as ever.

I picked up Dawn of Souls on the GBA but had the same problem - if I put the cartridge in my system I was always more inclined to boot up FF1 because by now the nostalgia factor was in full swing, and sadly I didn't have much or any nostalgia for FF2. By the time FF2 released on PSP I bought it thinking "this will be a nice addition to my physical games collection, but I'll probably never get around to actually playing it". The same was true of my digital library when the Android version released. I got into retro collecting and bought a physical Famicom cartridge. I even had a friend of mine make a NES repro cart for my physical collection a couple of years back.

And that brings us to now. I've strangely owned and played every version of this game that's been released in the US (and one that wasn't), but I've never actually played the game past the first few hours. The furthest I've ever gotten was to Basfk Cave before getting bored and moving on to something else. The lack of traditional leveling systems felt awkward.

I'm happy to report that I've started the PSP version of the game and we'll see how it goes this time. I'm already getting a better grasp of the game's systems than I ever have in the past, and I made it past Basfk Cave and have moved on to Kashuan Keep. The leveling system is still really strange but I'm getting the hang of it now. The system is pretty brutal when you start out with pretty low HP, but I'm dying a lot less now that my characters have 500-800HP each.

I'm already wishing that I would have made myself sit down and learn how to play this at least a decade ago when it released on PSP.

Top Bottom