• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

Coxy100

Banned
Damn near every thread having Switch port begging is getting pretty annoying.
This. So frustrating. I have a Switch and I love it - but sick of seeing it on here. What does is actually add? Devs aren't going to magically make a version just for us.

petran79

Banned
Developers probably aren't going to make downgraded ports of games designed to run on consoles with higher technical specifications. They tried that some on the Wii and it was honestly pretty bad.

Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes were probably the best on the Wii, even surpassing PS3 versions

Mafro

I don't begrudge people for being vocal about wanting games on a home console/handheld hybrid.

I love how so many people are getting annoyed at it though. Don't remember people being this salty on here over the Vita port-begging for every indie game...

Sephzilla

Yeah I've been noticing a lot of Switch port begging and it's getting pretty tiresome. I appreciate that people want games for their system (as a Switch owner, I'd welcome more titles to buy for it), but it's feeling like every recent announcement is tailed by "Switch?" posts

Kouriozan

Anyone would think they would give up begging after 4 straight gens of awful 3rd party support.
And Wii told us that even a successful console won't matter.

It's so funny looking at those now since last generation people were saying that the Vita wasn't well thought out because gamers didn't want to play console games on the go and Nintendo succeded because they made "handheld games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I think the system could use a decent FPS. There's tons to choose from, but Overwatch would be nice.

Rncewind

The port begging with Switch is a funny one imo is something more akin to PS Vita then previous Nintendo plattforms.

99 % of the time the "argument" in case is "would be perfect on the switch", cause its a hybrid, and hence portable, which a ps4 and xbox one arent (a pc can be portable tho, so there is that.

Now i have nothing against post when they asking or saying it would be nice for the switch.

However the majority of such posts also go on about how XY Devoleper shooting themself in the foot because they didnt make as switch version and dooming them or how easy it is to port something because hur dur ue4. And both of this are really anoying

packy34

But this is about port begging, not wanting games on a console.

"Port-begging" just seems like a derogatory term designed to stop people from publicly expressing interest in a game coming to a certain platform. Because honestly, how can a Switch owner say anything about any game not currently slated for release on the platform without immediately being shot down as a port-beggar?

"This game looks great, I hope it gets a Switch release"

"Stop port-begging!"

Idk, this doesn't seem constructive to me.

I don't port beg because it gets you banned on here but let me say that the portability of the Switch is a godsend for me and obviously, I prefer not having to interrupt my gaming sessions when I get onto the metro or do whatever sedentary activity outside. Needless to say, I'd like as many games as possible to release on it because the concept of the console turned out to be exactly what I was looking for, but I understand many things are likely to not release on it and I'm at peace with that.

I'm not under any illusion that the Switch won't be getting a good chunk of games, specifically those that are pushing technological boundaries. Cyberpunk 2077? Yeah it's not happening.

That being said, given the choice of games that COULD run on the Switch, yeah I'd rather play them there than my PS4 or PC. I think 3rd parties were smart to be wary of the Switch initially, but I don't think the ceiling on this system is ONLY the Nintendo hardcore fans this time around; I do think and at least have seen anecdotally that the Switch's appeal is far broader and that the 3rd party sales potential is there. I mean, Bomberman in 2017 was a relative success, so was the niche Disgaea 5 and by all accounts certain indie developers have had pretty fair success so far even with a limited install base.

Personally, the portability is super appealing. Like Skyrim... it's a game I played 5-6 years ago sure but I held off on the remaster since I'd rather have the access to portability. If other games followed this trend, like say the rumored Dark Souls trilogy, a COD MW remaster, not to mention the slew of less intensive indie games that have parity with PS4 or PC, I wouldn't hesitate to pick those up on Switch first.

When a new game is announced and they announce the platforms its releasing on, which sometimes doesn't include the Switch, it happens a LOT.

If someone wants the game on Switch then Facebook/Twitter is the best course of action, not Neogaf where it's against the TOS.

This. Much better to do it on social media where it has a much better chance of being seen by the publisher/developer than in a thread several hundred or thousand posts long.

I thought it's a bannable offense.

I think it still is a punishable offense, but mods generally don't read every single post and most people don't bother to report it. I'm not so bothered by it that I'll report.

I don't completely fault people for being annoyed by it but I'd argue that people constantly moaning about it or for Nintendo to go 3rd party are honestly more annoying

Was it port begging or the sales success of the Switch?
Could be a bit of both as the former would show that there is genuine interest in the game coming to the Switch, albeit that kind of port begging was likely done on like Twitter and what not. Doing it on GAF probably didn't mean much :p

This is the first generation where the port begging actually makes some sense though. Like, with the Wii and Wii U what were the incentives of buying a port?

With the Wii it was graphically inferior and with a different control scheme, so it basically had to be a different game. With Wii U, again multi-plat titles of even 360/PS3 ports tended to have worse performance without any advantages.

With the Switch consumers would willingly accept "downgraded" ports because the obvious benefit of portability is huge. I know I'm not the only one that's willing to double dip on games just because I can play them on the go now.

It makes sense to want games to come to Switch, yes.
That's not the issue here. Nintendo fans should know they aren't getting many ports because their hardware is gimped or the publisher doesn't see a big enough audience to turn a worthwhile profit.

I thought it's a bannable offense.

Mods can't be everywhere at once. It's probably best to PM them the thread in question if you see Switch port begging.

alemmon

I mean I would love to have Octopath Traveler on PS4... should I be speaking up about it? According to logic by some here... port begging led to some games on the Switch

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The difference here is that the Switch is capable of getting the ports we see on other consoles, specially the PSN/XBL/Steam Indie games that aren't demanding. And judging by the eShop currently we ARE going to see a lot more ports of games that we see on PSN/XBL/Steam, and judging by the way the Switch is selling, we are going to see more ports on this console than WiiU, period.

hmm interesting. i for one shall buy axiom verge and rocketleague for sure (already have minecraft)
I mean I would love to have Octopath Traveler on PS4... should I be speaking up about it? According to logic by some here... port begging led to some games on the Switch

probably not portbegging on neogaf but feel free to send square enix a angry fan letter

kiguel182

The thing with the Switch is that it’s such a nice piece of hardware that I can’t help but want to play games there. I have a PS4 but I rather use my Switch.

LordKano

The problem with the portbegging is that it actually works. It shows the excitement for a hardware and is giving confidence in indie devs that there will be an audience.
But it's incredibly annoying I agree.

Resident Evil 4 and No More Heroes were probably the best on the Wii, even surpassing PS3 versions

No more heroes was ported FROM the Wii to the PS3, though. RE4 already had a great Gamecube version to build on, it wasn't asking the Wii to do anything technically difficult. Beyond that we got total shit like Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, Sims 3, The Force Unleashed and Farcry Vengeance.

LordKasual

Banned
I've been seeing some of this raise its head lately and I just feel like, after the Wii and WiiU, that we should have learned a simple lesson by now.

Most games just aren't coming to the Switch.

The Switch is a great, amazing console that will surely have a satisfying library, but some things should be clear.

Developers probably aren't going to make downgraded ports of games designed to run on consoles with higher technical specifications. They tried that some on the Wii and it was honestly pretty bad.

Even for games that would be "perfect for the Switch," sometimes making a port just doesn't fit with the developer's budget or resources or marketing strategy.

I know that everyone wishes and everyone hopes, but, seriously, Nintendo has been mercilessly assaulting that part of us since we were all devastated to learn that Final Fantasy wasn't coming until the Nintendo 64. It should be dead by now.

That's my take. I could be wrong. I'd like to hear other opinions.

I don't really think most Nintendo fans are asking for it, to be honest. I feel like most people have just accepted that you buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games first and foremost, and everything else is just bonus.

The problem is that Nintendo always shortsticks most developers from ever even bothering with their hardware, because while everyone else is trying to push the envelope on the hardware side, Nintendo would rather supply you with some supplemental gimmick instead. So you're stuck getting what feels like side projects while the actual effort feels like it's elsewhere.

And the problem is only highlighted by Nintendo's marketing strategy for every single new console release:

-Our console concept is awesome!
-Look at everyone saying our console is awesome!
-Look at this signed list of everyone saying they're definitely gonna make games on our awesome system totally!

And then like 3 years later we maybe get some dance/waggle game, maybe a legit title that was announced back at E3 that was supposed to be a hard-hitter but just kind of makes a splash and fizzles away. Everyone goes back to waiting for that next big 1st/2nd party title that's like a year off. In a perfect world, you'd have developers who would utilize the concepts for something extraordinary...but in reality, all the companies with tons of money would rather just not bother, accept tried and true traditional input methods, and make better use of more powerful hardware that will actually make people turn their heads AND sell units because they have 3 other platforms to port it to.

I feel like the Switch has its best future as a sort of high-end Nintendo Handheld device, where all the little modest-budget titles that would originally go to something like a 3DS would instead be on Switch. In that scenario, there would be no need to beg for ports because you'd always be getting new games.

But if the Switch ends up like the WiiU, or the Wii before it...then yeah, people will beg for ports. The problem is just inevitable because of how Nintendo thinks. Either the system is so weak that it's obvious that it's only getting "handheld-tier" games, or it straddles the fence in this "This is technically an HD console, but nowhere close to the others" so the issue just sticks. And trying to solve all the problems at once removes their ability to strike at their target.

Jimx26

What I do find funny is in the many Switch threads especially pre and post launch. When people complained about lack of 3rd party games the party line was almost always...

"The Switch is all about great 1st party games and having fun. You can keep your yearly rehashes of COD, FIFA, etc..etc... that's what PS4 and Xone are for"

Yet here we are with post after post of port begging and how amazing it would be to have these games on Switch.

Personally as an owner of a Switch and PS4. I would much rather play the likes of COD and FIFA on the PS4 than a dumbed down switch version.

It's still the honeymoon period for many people, and consumers are never more desperate for new content than the year a system launches. It will die down by next year. Of course the lack of third party ports will always be an issue, but at least they'll have more Nintendo and indie games to play by then.

Renna Hazel

That's not the issue here. Nintendo fans should know they aren't getting many ports because their hardware is gimped or the publisher doesn't see a big enough audience to turn a worthwhile profit.

but that is the issue of the topic. If a game is announced and people express interest in a Switch version, they get quoted a bunch of times about port begging. It's normal to want software to come to a console you own, which is what the OP was asking.

If that's against the rules of this forum, then people should follow the rules, but the desire for wanting games on Switch is perfectly normal.

No more heroes was ported FROM the Wii to the PS3, though. RE4 already had a great Gamecube version to build on. Beyond that we got total shit like Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, Sims 3, The Force Unleashed and Farcry Vengeance.

man you just made me remember that NMH3 is a thing

Toxi

Banned
It's funny how Monster Hunter threads used to be derailed by requests for the series on PS4/Vita, and now they're derailed by requests for a Switch game (either localizing XX or porting World).

Considering how out of touch people are in regards to specs and what the specs mean (or do in games), you are going to get a lot of people asking for games that simply don't work on 4 gb of ram. It is annoying though.

How much RAM does the X360 or PS3 have? I’m always championing ports of last gen games since, yes, it’s unrealistic to expect current gen ports on switch. In my ideal scenario,SWITCH could pull off Valve source engine ports like CS:Go, L4D, HL, and Portal (basically Orange box) without compromise.

In my completely fantasy pipe dream scenario, MS sees the success of Minecraft on Switch and says, “we’ve already worked with Nintendo to get their users to have Xbox Live accounts on Switch. Let’s dip our toes in the water some more. Let’s not spend the R&D on hardware. Let’s try some Microsoft Studios stuff on the hardware. Let’s try Banjo Nuts and Bolts. See how that sells. If all goes well? Let’s collect money with one of our Halo remasters.”

Pipe dream, but technically possible. Also a great way to get new fans to pick up MS hardware for Halo 6.

What I do find funny is in the many Switch threads especially pre and post launch. When people complained about lack of 3rd party games the party line was almost always...

"The Switch is all about great 1st party games and having fun. You can keep your yearly rehashes of COD, FIFA, etc..etc... that's what PS4 and Xone are for"

Yet here we are with post after post of port begging and how amazing it would be to have these games on Switch.

There's always the possibility that it's not the same people saying these things. GAF is pretty big.

TP

I get you OP

but at the same time I can think of plenty of ports that happened because a playerbase made it loud and clear that they wanted it (Bayo and Vanquish PC most recently)

So I won't knock anyone for it

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Considering portability, I think this is actually the first generation where Nintendo port begging makes sense. Starting september, I'll have to commute to work ~1.5h every day, so almost all my gaming time will be on the train. Every game released on Switch gets more playtime automatically.

I'm personally more tired of people complaining about Switch port begging than actual Switch port begging. I think some titles not coming to Switch can be questioned, like Disney Afternoon Collection. Then again, I don't enter many threads for games not coming to Switch so maybe there are a lot of people there asking for Switch ports. In that case, I apologize.

I personally see comments like this more than the actual portbegging!

difference is port begging derails threads ;)

Why the hell is "port begging" demonized/looked down upon? Its a win win for developers and gamers who want the games. As someone who has the switch as my primary console, I want as many third party ports as possible. Anyone who disagrees isn't helping the cause.

Trago

Switch isn't my main platform, but it's always funny reading publisher excuses as to why they don't port anything to Switch.

At least Tweet to publishers and make noise about wanting a game on a platform.

Top Bottom