• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove (PC) Kickstarter - $400k goal (Up: Funded)

No stretch goals for console release? Or am I missing something?

That sucks. Despite loving the first game on genesis (and having it on the 360), I'm probably going to pass on this for now unless there's eventually a console stretch goal. I've backed too many things on kickstarter already.

TJ&E3 was not very good though... :/

I kind of liked 3. It was for sure terrible at the beginning but as I got deeper into the game, it began to remind me a lot of the original.

Sciz

Backed on sight. If there's any chance at all of recapturing the magic of the first game, it's worth the risk.

Firecrest

Had to back this based on the insane amount of fun I had with the original. I have a feeling they'll garner more interest once they add console versions to the stretch goals.

MrGerbils

I get what they're trying to do with the graphics in this one, and I love the idea of riffing off 90s comics, but their execution is just not hitting the mark. It doesn't have any visual cohesion at all.

I love TJ+E (the first one of course, and huge lol to the guy who thinks most fans fondly remember number two), but this just does not look appealing.

megalowho

Backing this because they never really had the chance to make a TJ&E game on their own tems since the first, and also because I was very pleasantly surprised by Doki Doki Universe. Thought it was pretty cool for what it was and made total sense when I found out the lineage of the developer.

Visual style needs a bit of tweaking though, I get why there's an ever present ocean but not sure it works. Work in progress, and all that.

Shaneus

The art's disappointing (somewhat predictably so, going by the concept art from a few weeks back and Doki Doki Universe), but the improvements they plan to add sound decent enough. I have a principle to never back Kickstarters, but it's nice to see they're going through with this.

and where are the bootsy collins/george clinton stretch goals
Fuck that, we need Reggie Watts stretch goals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=344OpaQCAQI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmUD0vbSUHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FkEILCHShY

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
nice interview. kind of hoping they move the camera back a bit and that the unexplored areas are pitch black or out of screen.

Holy shit, that's good. Never played TJ&E, was a SNES kid. Does it still hold up today?

TJ&E does hold up extremely well, especially with two players. It does take a little time to learn some of its quirks and the pacing of the game. But it certainly has its own unique charm. It is the only 16bit two player rouge like in existence, and it does also have level randomization to make replays feel fresh.

James & Mike did a lets play of this last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJHKkkarGSw which gives a good look at it.

Paskil

Had such a blast with the original as a kid. Then I remember the second being released and went all Picardwhatthefuckisthisshit.jpg.

Definitely going to back this later.

TasTokyo

So excited! Toejam and Earl is one of my all time favourite games. Definitely backing later today. I'm not a huge fan of physical rewards, but want to back the game, so unsure what level to go in at.

I'm a little bit worried that the price for some of the physical stuff seems low. Could potentially be a problem.

Graphics wise I'm not 100% sold yet, however it looks like a fantastic start and I do like the style. The animated video was awesome.

People preferring the second game is really surprising. As a kid everyone I knew either played it and complained it was totally different or refused to buy it because they didn't want a 2D platformer. I myself thought it was pretty good, but lost basically everything that made the first game unique and stand out except for the art style.

Ixion

tumblr_n8ffb0Xqrh1sc3a8ho1_400.gif

brett2

Big fan of the original game and I have the other two as well but I'm not sure what I think about the gameplay footage. The artwork is nice but it doesn't look conducive to gameplay. It gives me a bit of a headache and is jarring. I know it's only $15 but still - anyone want to guilt me into it right now? The figures and t-shirt look great though - I would like to just buy those separately and hold off on the actual game until release!

BIGWORM

I actually LOVED Panic on Funkotron. I'm surprised to hear the series took a dip in sales compared to the original. That animated music video hit me right in the feels.

Lucifon

I love Toe Jam & Earl...so much. But that Kickstarter video was one of the worst I've ever watched :( Nothing I saw looked good other than the perspective choice. I won't be backing this, it just doesn't look...very good.

DryvBy

Backing this. Toejam & Earl 3 wasn't even an amazing game and I beat that several times when I first got my original Xbox.

Hopefully this sees a console release too.

Dizzy

Banned
TJE is predominantly famous for the second game and not really the first. The second game is the game people remember and love.
Lol what?

The first game is the one that the hardcore fans love and want. Opinion on the second game seems divided.

The first game was such a standout game which is why its so popular. The second I don't think was a bad game but it wasn't as unique as the first game.

The fact that he says hes making it like 1 but with bits from 2 and doesn'r acknowledge that third game makes me want to back this. I have to agree that the video looks a little rough though. I've never paid much attention to kickstarter before though so im not sure how much this video is meant to represent the final product.

Huggers

I love Toejam and Earl but they should leave it. It's like remaking Turtles. Or the new Ghostbusters movie that's on it's way. Some things are better off left alone

@MUWANdo

Banned
For those who don't know, the Toejam & Earl Dreamcast prototype was leaked last year and while it's clearly unfinished it's still quite playable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0w9X-_iipQ

As you can see, it was originally much closer to the original game than the eventual Xbox version. Another case of publisher meddling, it seems.

You can find the ISO below, with instructions on getting it to run:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?49322-Release-ToeJam-amp-Earl-3-Dreamcast-Beta

elyetis

Wowow insta backed.

Toejam and Earl 1 port on ps3 with online play has been great fun with my brother, even if we are still as bad as it as we were when we played it on the Mega Drive.

Another Kickstarter talking up how they won't have a publisher, so no one will get in their way of what they want to do...

If it's actually a successful Kickstarter, countdown to publisher?

If this gets a confirmed PS4/WiiU release, I'll be all over it, but this is one of those franchises that on pure nostalgia alone I'd find it too weird to be playing on PC.

Consoles or bust, frankly.

lazygecko

Figures that Greg was involved with Spore to some extent. Toejam was one of the first creatures I made in that game since it just seemed like a natural fit.

WITHE1982

Dayum I would kill for a console version of this. It doesn't look like one will be happening anytime soon.

Humanature Studios said:
Even if we are able to bring it to other platforms, that won't be for quite awhile, as we plan on focusing on just the PC/Mac/Linux version first.

Gonna back this anyway in the hope it will eventually be ported to PS3/4. T&E is by far my most loved 16 bit game.

Top Bottom