• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have three options

Lets pretend that everyone in the world suddenly collapsed unconscious. An omnipotent being tells you all "when you wake up you will lose something."

He gives you three options:
-Lose all memory and evidence of your history
-Lose your Sight and Hearing
-Lose your arms and legs

What do you chose? How chaotic would the world become?

Edit: to clarify and balance the options more.
Edit 2: choices are individual, so some people will be blind and deaf while others will be without limbs and many without memories.
Do you think society could get back on its feet?
Edit 3: when I was typed "evidence of history" I was thinking more of documented and photographic history. People who know you would remember you, given if they chose "losing limbs" and could tell you who you are.

bosseye

Total memory wipe or just the last few years or something? Either way, they're all horrible options and this omnipotent being sounds like a right prick.

kasane

Dealing with bad times right now and i would definitely trade my memories in a heartbeat. Even though i treasure those memories(even if they're painful) i feel like feeling alive again would be a worthwhile trade off.

k1I6Y5h.jpg

Humanity goes extinct and society crumbles with choice 2 and 3, and civilization as we know it is effectively over with choice 1

Might as well go with 1, at least I won’t be able to comprehend the end of the world rather than dying in a sightless/soundless hell or dying from starvation and dehydration

BizzyBum

Won't I have to relearn everything if I wipe all my memories?

I think he meant personal memories, so you would still know how to function, but you wouldn't know anything or anyone. If he means you would forget how to walk and talk then yeah I might have to go with no arms and legs. lol

Thinking more on that, even if it were just memories it would still be awful. Like, you wouldn't know who your family and friends are. Maybe it would be better to have no arms and legs but that would also probably mean everyone dieing at some point.

Everyone going blind and deaf shouldn't even be an option, the world after would cease to function.

I don't know. Memories seems like the answer since the other two would make life inconvenient. Would I remember making the deal and would I be able to consult people who didn't get rid of their memories about the past?

Arms and legs, easy.

Well, easy relative to the other two options.

I need art in my life, and while losing one's sight and hearing wouldn't eliminate that altogether, it would certainly limit it. As for the other option, losing my memories of friends/family/life experiences already terrifies me.

Humanity goes extinct and society crumbles with choice 2 and 3, and civilization as we know it is effectively over with choice 1

Might as well go with 1, at least I won’t be able to comprehend the end of the world rather than dying in a sightless/soundless hell or dying from starvation and dehydration

This right here.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Not my memories, that's for sure. Since the existence of this very event is empirical proof of the supernatural in a way no other human has ever experienced, the notion of death and eternal nothingness would have to be completely re-contextualized. No point in that if you can't remember it. And losing hearing and sight removes you for sharing or discussing the meaning behind your experience. I think I'd go with arms and legs. Who knows what replacements technology might bring in next 20 to 40 years?

You know I was thinking memories, but then applied a computer hardware analysis and realized that I rather lose $2000 in parts than all of my files. Then again, I cannot afford to lose sight or my right hand, I may have to go memories or learn to use my mouth for a lot of things until prosthetic limbs catch up. Sight is out of the question. May take hearing if it comes alone or or with some limbs, say hearing and legs.

edit: for everyone as well? 1 is the only choice. We may not survive as a species with the other 2 applied to everyone else.

Sai-kun

Banned
Uhhh definitely prefer to be totally able bodied over my memories. You can always make new ones, but you can’t get your sense or limbs back.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Arms and legs.

How am I supposed to be a better person if I'm too afraid to keep my mistakes with me.

Also, there are some memories too great that I will never sacrifice.

Flying Fish

Neo Member
Assuming I can still function and don't revert to infancy, then memories easily. I've seen a lot of amnesiac hero stories and those usually turn out fine.

Dreavus

If everyone had to choose this? The world would end even if it's an individual choice.

You have people totally paralyzed unable to fend for themselves at all, you have people paralyzed in a different way by losing two very critical senses for navigating their environment, not to mention no experience dealing with that disability, and finally you have people physically fine but basically unable to do anything because they don't know how.

Running purely on instinct the amnesiacs might be about to get something together eventually, but likely only for the short term. The other two groups are done for, unless an amnesiac or two happen to find them in the time they have before starving to death and figure out a way to take care of them. EDIT: groups in 2 and 3 might be able to help each other if they can figure out a way to communicate but it'd be very difficult.

This is like an insane disaster, no emergency services would be able to help either since all personnel are incapacitated in some way.

Anyways...

Not my memories, that's for sure. Since the existence of this very event is empirical proof of the supernatural in a way no other human has ever experienced, the notion of death and eternal nothingness would have to be completely re-contextualized. No point in that if you can't remember it. And losing hearing and sight removes you for sharing or discussing the meaning behind your experience. I think I'd go with arms and legs. Who knows what replacements technology might bring in next 20 to 40 years?

My thinking is you wouldn't be able to get to this point in the scenario the OP describes (the event happening simultaneously to everyone, no planning or warning at all). It's an extinction level event.

If it's just for me I think I'm with you though. Prosthetics are always getting better.

Who the fuck would give up their arms and legs? Like, I could deal with losing a limb. Two even. But all of them? That's just putting yourself at the mercy of other people.

I'd choose to lose my memories. I can learn new skills again, and I'll still be able-bodied enough to have a chance at survival.

Why would anyone choose #2? It would be so difficult to communicate with anyone in any sort of way.

All 3 are complete garbage choices, but I'd go with #3. Losing decades of memories/skills/knowledge is irreplaceable.

99Luffy

Banned
Memories.

2. Would require being on disability for life.

3. Is the same but youd also need a 24h nurse or family member feeding you and changing your diapers.

Dreavus

History as in no government records and then they deport me to some containment island?

Who will deport you? The people who have no idea who they are, or the people who are critically and permanently disabled?

In the established scenario civilization would collapse overnight.

Top Bottom