• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting

Police officer here...What I find most disturbing is the lack of people who actually give a shit about using their phone in the car. I don't wear a uniform and have an unmarked car, so people don't think there's a cop next to them and I see all kinds of stuff. In the DC area where I work, I would say that every other person is on their phone while driving. It's that high. It's staggering. I've seen people use them right next to a marked cruiser. They lower the phone when the cruiser is there, then pick it right up again when it's clear. THEY DON'T CARE. It's a bull shit ticket. It's not a moving violation so the only thing it costs you is money. We have traffic unit guys who sit at stop signs and pull people over for it....then they get complained on because there are "more important things to pull people over for". If police pulled over everyone using their phone nothing else would get done.

I think the penalty needs to be higher. Make the ticket have points on your insurance. Subsequent charges could lead to a suspension, instead of just an increased fine (which I actually do agree with, but it's not enough).

Someone mentioned earlier the idea of matching text records with the time they saw it.....that's unreasonable. In order to get those records, you need to send a subpoena signed by a judge to the phone company. It takes up to 2 months depending on the carrier. A typical traffic cop will have a few hundred citations per court docket....we're talking dozens of subpoenas. Not going to happen. Nobody has time to do that, plus then we would have cases being continued to another date because the results weren't in....more money being spent, more time wasted.

Speaking of, is wearing headphones while behind the wheel legal? I see it so much but there is no way that can be allowed. People act like its completely normal...

In NY State its a violation if you have headphones in both ears, at least one ear has to not have a headphone plug in it.

People just need to use common sense when driving and be aware of their surroundings, I'm in NY and there's signs all over the place that say your license will be suspended after so many texting violations but people do it anyway.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
On an average drive to work i can count roughly one in ten people HOLDING their phone to their face or texting and almost all of those driving more erratically, often wavering to the edge of their lane or over it. And a significant number of those are tailgating or stamping brakes.

And we have distracted driving laws in WA. People are idiots.

Source: Every idiot in history has been a people.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Phones in general should have the Pokémon Go "I'm a passenger" box, it would probably just cause more accidents with people getting pissed at it and taking their attention off the road again to get back on YouTube.

That's a pretty good idea but do it for the driver instead. Sort of like movie mode.

zulux21

Well maybe the poor should put down their damn phones like the rest of us. This isn't a hard law to follow.

why don't we just put people in time out :p?

no money involved, if you get caught driving with your phone, the cop redirects you to the police station where you have to sit around for the next two hours. Maybe they have some cookies and tea for you as well.

if everyone is in such a hurry that they can't pull over to talk on the phone, it seems like the most fitting punishment is to make them waste time, putting them in time out with no f**ks given who they are or where they are going :p.

seriously though, if I ever see a friend pull out their phone while driving I yell at them. If it becomes a repeat thing I outright stop being friends with them. I have little sympathy for anyone who uses their phone while driving (with it in their hand, hands free isn't all that different from having a conversation in the car). I personally consider it even worse than drunk driving, as at least most drunks actively know they are drunk and try to pay extra attention to what they are doing. People on their phone often don't realize how distracted they are :/

Breakage

Here in the UK I think it's an on the spot £200 fine and six points on your licence. I see people doing it all the time though - they don't care.

Can't tell if the guy was drunk or just couldn't stop looking at his phone, but I actually called the cops on the guy while on the I-5 near Seattle.

The whole way home this guy was right in front of me or a car ahead and just kept swerving out of the lane and back into it. Nearly ran into a guard rail at one point. Even in slow heavy traffic he was still drifting into other lanes.

All I do with my phone in the car is listen to podcasts or use it for GPS. IF I have my bluetooth headset I might answer a call, but I never pick up the phone to make it. I understand it can be a strong urge to avoid looking at a text message or notification since you're used to doing it all the time, but you just have to force yourself not to; people's lives are at risk, including your own.

This is why I connect my phone to my radio via Bluetooth while driving. Can take a call and still have both hands on the wheel. Texts can wait until I get where I'm going.

jstripes

Banned
It's a $480 fine in Ontario.

8w2bVzu.jpg

Police officer here...What I find most disturbing is the lack of people who actually give a shit about using their phone in the car. I don't wear a uniform and have an unmarked car, so people don't think there's a cop next to them and I see all kinds of stuff. In the DC area where I work, I would say that every other person is on their phone while driving. It's that high. It's staggering. I've seen people use them right next to a marked cruiser. They lower the phone when the cruiser is there, then pick it right up again when it's clear. THEY DON'T CARE. It's a bull shit ticket. It's not a moving violation so the only thing it costs you is money. We have traffic unit guys who sit at stop signs and pull people over for it....then they get complained on because there are "more important things to pull people over for". If police pulled over everyone using their phone nothing else would get done.

Yeah, my ex drove school busses, vans, and other such vehicles where she was significantly higher up than other vehicles and could easily see in to see what they were doing, and she would always comment how absurd it was how many people were just poking away at their phones while driving.

Damaniel

Banned
As an addition to the Oregon law, I noticed that under-18 drivers aren't even allowed to use hands-free driving functionality (like making phone calls over Bluetooth). I don't see any problem with this, but it's probably not easily enforceable.

So, that makes our law:
- Up to $1000 for first time offenders
- Up to $2500 for second time offenders (or first time offenders that cause a crash)
- A misdemeanor with a possible 6 months in jail and/or $2500 fine for subsequent violations

And those offenses are cumulative over 10 years - so if you are caught driving distracted 3 times in 10 years, you're fucked. Most tickets won't be written for anywhere near those amounts barring a severe accident caused by the distraction, but it's a start, at least.

How are smart phones killing people more in the last 2 years if they have existed for a decade?
Did you not read the OP?

the changing way in which Americans use their phones while they drive. These days, we're pretty much done talking. Texting, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are the order of the day—all activities that require far more attention than simply holding a gadget to your ear or responding to a disembodied voice
All of those services are old. Snapchat is already 5 years old.

And their usage numbers are the same as they were 5 years ago?
Usage hasn't increased?
I'm sorry you need someone to spoon-feed this to you.

Aren't people looking at other drivers to see if they have a phone out distracted too? They certainly aren't looking at the road ahead of them.

one in ten people HOLDING their phone to their face or texting and almost all of those driving more erratically, often wavering to the edge of their lane or over it. And a significant number of those are tailgating or stamping brakes.

Your city is 5x safer than mine :(

Aren't people looking at other drivers to see if they have a phone out distracted too? They certainly aren't looking at the road ahead of them.

I'm constantly watching the movement of other drivers and it's super easy to catch their heads doing the characteristic 'look down, look up' movements of someone on their phone. This is called watching the road.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here in Oregon holding just a mobile device is a $1000 fine while driving. It goes up to $2500 on second offense, and I think the third involves a jail time but not sure. It just started beginning of October.

Love it. Should be like this across the country.

You typically look at other cars in the course of driving.
It's part of making sure you don't hit them.
And part of making sure they don't hit you.
Being aware of what other people are doing makes it easier to anticipate their movements and avoid problems.

Why are people needing things like this spelled out to them?

It's a $480 fine in Ontario.

8w2bVzu.jpg
I still see it on the roads here and its easy to get away with until you hit someone.

At a stop light, fine. Send that quick text so long as you are able to recollect your wits when ready to make that turn. But even then, its dangerous.

Just takes someone honking you to suddenly accelerate forward out of panic.

knkng

Oh please. When someone is weaving in and out of their lane, it doesn't take much effort to glance to the side and see they are using their phone. I'm generally looking all around me when driving, not just fixated to the bumper of the car in front of me.

jabuseika

Multitasking is killing people.

People are so used to doing 2-3 things at once, watching tv and phone, listening to music and chores, ect. They can't turn it off. Once they get in the car, it's just not enough, have to be fiddling with something else.

I'm extremely guilty of this, that's why I see it this way.

Multitasking is killing people.

People are so used to doing 2-3 things at once, watching tv and phone, listening to music and chores, ect. They can't turn it off. Once they get in the car, it's just not enough, have to be fiddling with something else.

I'm extremely guilty of this, that's why I see it this way.

You can listen to music while driving, though.
Unless you feel the need to look down at your music player every 5 seconds, fiddling around to find what you want. In which case, that's on you.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
In my country (Colombia) we have severe fines for people who drive and use their phones, but some of you guys probably wouldn't like how it's given: it's your word against the traffic agent. We probably are better off considering not all police officers give fines (and I honestly haven't heard of any case of arbitrary fines), but it has helped a lot. I was very, but very surprised at the huge amount of people who talk and drive or chat and drive when I traveled to MA this year.

I was actually wondering if you guys had a lot of deaths cause of it, but I guess nobody knows! Pretty worrisome.

jstripes

Banned
I still see it on the roads here and its easy to get away with until you hit someone.

At a stop light, fine. Send that quick text so long as you are able to recollect your wits when ready to make that turn. But even then, its dangerous.

Just takes someone honking you to suddenly accelerate forward out of panic.

Ya, I was walking recently and saw a woman in the middle of an intersection poking away a her phone waiting for the car in front of her to clear not realize the car had moved and light had changed until perpendicular traffic started honking at her for blocking the intersection.

I glared at her, and she gave me the finger.

Vyer

Seems like I remember a few years back we had a ‘text while driving’ GAFfer defense force. Fortunately it was only one poster, though I don’t remember who. Their reasoning was that they were ‘too busy’ or could ‘do two things at once’ or some such nonsense.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a lot of that kind of reasoning out there though.

It's crazy how common and "just daily routine" it has become for people to drive distracted like it's no big deal. ALL the time I see people looking down at a phone while driving. Some even take it up a level with talking on the phone in one hand, holding a coffe/drink in the other while also smoking and all too common is a pet loose and on their lap in the car. GEEZ!
This so much. Most people are glued to their phones while driving from what I've seen. I lost count how many times I pass someone due to their swerving and notice the idiot driver is on their phone.

Shit is not that important.

No legislation is going to make any dent on cell phone usage while driving. Only solution is autonomous vehicles. People don't want to drive, they're just wanting to get from point A to B.

jett

D-Member
This will keep on happening and getting worse until self-driving cars are a mass-market thing. People are sadly not going to stop suing their smartphones every waking second.

No legislation is going to make any dent on cell phone usage while driving.

Putting someone who uses a cellphone while driving in jail for life would make a dent on cellphone usage while driving.
Obviously that's a bit excessive, and overly expensive. But the point is, there are things that would make a dent on cellphone usage while driving, so a defeatist attitude of "Nothing is going to change it, got to wait (while people die) until we have self-driving cars" is absurd.

entremet

Incidentally, this is why I've abandoned my pursuit of getting a motorcycle. Once smartphones took over, I said forget it lol.

Laiza

This will keep on happening and getting worse until self-driving cars are a mass-market thing. People are sadly not going to stop suing their smartphones every waking second.
No legislation is going to make any dent on cell phone usage while driving. Only solution is autonomous vehicles. People don't want to drive, they're just wanting to get from point A to B.
Man, those car companies have to step up their games.

Literal human lives are at stake here. (Selfishly, I admit half of me wants them to come faster just so I can browse on my phone the entire trip, but then, who doesn't?)

Nosgotham

horns up
phone down

thats the slogan i see on the interstate every day in tx. hell they bus cops around on the interstate so they can spot texters and a local squad car will pull them over and fine them.

Am I the only who can't stand headlines like this? It's not the phone that's killing people, it's the assholes who don't keep their eyes on the road.

hypernima

Banned
The only thing I do when driving is press skip on my MP3 player, and that's pushing it. I hate hate hate when people are on their damn phones when driving. Focus on the road.

Top Bottom