• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

So with the rise of popularity on steam, it's got me curious again. I've always heard this game is an insane grind to get anywhere. Is that the case? I'd be interested otherwise.

Ploid 3.0

So, I was browsing the old gaf Black Desert character creator thread and crossed something that looked very erie.

Saw this one on Twitter:

CazewQNWAAARvlh.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/miflett/status/697176963832803328

So with the rise of popularity on steam, it's got me curious again. I've always heard this game is an insane grind to get anywhere. Is that the case? I'd be interested otherwise.

It's a grind if you want endgame gear. But in the end it's a giant sandbox game. It's best played at whatever pace you're comfortable with. And plus you can just let people do the grind for you and just earn your riches through other things like fishing/trading/breeding and whatnot and just buy your gear.

I've played since this game came out and I'm still not even level 56 on my main since I'm busy doing everything else

Gin-Shiio

How do you raise your daily house reward?

House fame fund consists of three seperate categories:

• Character level
  • Life Skill level
  • Knowledge/Contribution Points
You can open the player overview (p) and find icons detailling your current score for each in the upper right corner. What's key here is that the score is a total of all your characters levels combined. Additionally, your character's level score doubles once he reaches level 56.

I'm sure it's flavor of the month but damn is striker fun :)

I tried whispering you, but never got a response. Maybe the whisper messages got drowned in the chat. If you haven't done it yet, I recommend creating a second chat tab for just party, whisper and guild chat. It will make it easier for you to keep track. I'm sorry we couldn't work it out today after all!

Hmm. Will I be okay only running one character? I'm the opposite of alt-itis, but it sounds a bit crippling here.

You can do everything on one char, but having a couple of alts doesn't hurt. Especially since all chars share the same storage, knowledge base, mounts and some other things.

I mostly play on one char, but I keep alts just in case i need the extra bit of resources. I pretty much see my alts as just means of making my main char stronger.

You can do everything on one char, but having a couple of alts doesn't hurt. Especially since all chars share the same storage, knowledge base, mounts and some other things.

I mostly play on one char, but I keep alts just in case i need the extra bit of resources. I pretty much see my alts as just means of making my main char stronger.

Yeah that's what I mean though. I'm -hardcore- anti-altitis. As in I refuse to even have more than one character. I deleted the rest of my roster after realizing I like Striker.

I just have a complex about it. I can't have more than one, it bugs me.

Ploid 3.0

Just joined the discord. Runs really well on a GTX 1080 :) Liking it so far.

I burst out laughing at that. I think on my next card I'll go all out, hope it's a AMD card though, I'm having a ball tinkering with Rx 480 bios tweaks and memory timing straps. Crazy stuff, maybe all cards will be this involving when it comes to overclocking soon, or automatic.

Hit ctrl + U to hide the UI and enable screenshot graphics mode. DOF everywhere and it looks so pretty. Skyrim ENB who?

mstevens

So how good is this game if I'm just wanting to log in periodically to do some solo questing and adventuring? Don't have the time to spend on an MMO but I wouldn't mind jumping into a fleshed out world every now and then.

So how good is this game if I'm just wanting to log in periodically to do some solo questing and adventuring? Don't have the time to spend on an MMO but I wouldn't mind jumping into a fleshed out world every now and then.

Very casual. No pressure, just do your own thing as it's pretty much a sandbox. Hell I just game back from a hiatus of a few months and just continued where i left off, give or take some figuring out whats news.

supergiz

I burst out laughing at that. I think on my next card I'll go all out, hope it's a AMD card though, I'm having a ball tinkering with Rx 480 bios tweaks and memory timing straps. Crazy stuff, maybe all cards will be this involving when it comes to overclocking soon, or automatic.

Hit ctrl + U to hide the UI and enable screenshot graphics mode. DOF everywhere and it looks so pretty. Skyrim ENB who?

Btw, any idea how I get my free pet from explorer's package? I just redeemed it on the website but even after restarting I don't see it in the pet slot of game.

Edit: NM figured it out

Ploid 3.0

Btw, any idea how I get my free pet from explorer's package? I just redeemed it on the website but even after restarting I don't see it in the pet slot of game.

Edit: NM figured it out

ha was about to tell you. That pearl items tab for anyone else wondering (Inventory tab \ Pearl items tab.

Kard8p3

I tried whispering you, but never got a response. Maybe the whisper messages got drowned in the chat. If you haven't done it yet, I recommend creating a second chat tab for just party, whisper and guild chat. It will make it easier for you to keep track. I'm sorry we couldn't work it out today after all!

Yeah sorry! I had to step away for a few hours and accidentally left it running. I'll go ahead and join the discord before I go to bed and we can try again some other time. How do I make a a new chat tab?

edit: nvm I figured it out

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Thanks man! So I'll focus on getting to 56 for now. From there, are there any good guides for gearing Striker up yet? Or how the gear system works? All I know is I have a +9 weapon that might break if I upgrade it more. I dunno how to avoid that.

You need to repair the max durability of items after upgrading, as every failed attempt to upgrade an item reduces it's max durability.

There two ways to repair max durability, go to a blacksmith, choose repair max durability and select the item you want to repair. Then you have a choice in repair materials.

Exact copy of the item - this will repair max item durability by 10
Memory fragment - this will repair items by an amount determined by the item's colour grade

So for starters, it's easy just to buy copies of your existing item and using them. End game/boss items it's not practical to buy copies so folks switch to memory fragments for those. Memory fragments are very expensive and hard as hell to obtain in large numbers, so avoid having to use them at all costs. Until you have to.

Also, repair your gear every chance you get. When you repair gear you have a small chance of getting a free upgrade to max durability. It's just +1 but hey it's free.

For gearing, it's a really long conversation and I'm not 100% on the Striker to offer any solid advice but here's what I recommend in the short term. Get a Yuria weapon if you can find one. Get Grunil armour. Get to 56. Get coral accessorises, mark of shadows, witches earnings. Aim to have your armour and weapon +15 when you hit 56. Then consider getting your stuff to TRI. When you reach the point where you want TRI, you can then start considering doing a long term gearing plan, and aiming for boss gear as you progress.

And you try to prepare for the Striker Kenning, getting best in slot items, etc. But this stuff is far away from now. Enjoy the now. :)

Ferr986

Just saw that the Steam version requires a new account. Does that mean that your characters (and everything you may have bought in the cash shop) can't be used with the Steam version?

Ferr986

That it means, yes.

That's plain horrible. I mean, Im not interested in a Steam version but for sure I'm interested in a possible console version, but they better fix that stuff it they release it (yeah I'm an idiot and got a couple of outfits during my playtime lol)

Btw I'm trying to play again and I'm like a noob, I don't remember shit lol I'm focusing on my Sorc now, considering my old Ranger got nerfed while still being a MP potion addict.

Mithos

That's plain horrible. I mean, Im not interested in a Steam version but for sure I'm interested in a possible console version, but they better fix that stuff it they release it (yeah I'm an idiot and got a couple of outfits during my playtime lol)

Missed opportunity to get some more money out of people imho, I'd switch to Steam version client instantly if I could have use my current account.

Slayven

Press Enter to open the chat bar, then click on the little icon indicating your current speech channel. In the case of whisper, a little block will be added on the right, where you enter the recipients family name.

I don't know about mods, but there is a lot you can do to make it more bearable. For starters, be sure to go to ESC -> EDIT UI and disable all UI elements you find unpleasant by clicking on the little eye on the respective element. Secondly, you probably don't care about notifications telling you about whales that show up or people enchanting the hell out of their goodies, all of which can be disabled through ESC -> Settings -> Game -> Turn off system notifications (but check out all other options too for good measure).
Did the font trick and oh my god, I can play the game now

Ferr986

Huuh wtf,I have an ingame mail about something fame related with 86m silver. The fuck is this and where do I put this much money lol

Ferr986

House fame money. Just plop it in storage somewhere and go shopping.

ah yeah of course. I don't remember, if I put the money into storage, it will go to the closer storage? (like I'm right now at Heidel).

I don't really know what to do with it. I know it's not that much once you go to the rabbit hole that is endgame enhancement but I don't remember the gear needed and all of that lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm very tempted to get this... did they ever add a PVE toggle or anything like that?

In the Korean version you had to do a quest to activate PVP but in the US version it just activates itself once you hit a certain level.

I have no interest whatsoever in PVP or in getting ganked (no matter how rare folks claim that it is).

I tried searching the interwebs but I can't find anything recent on the topic. I'm guessing they haven't done a damn thing about it, but I'm hoping against hope.

Ventara

I'm very tempted to get this... did they ever add a PVE toggle or anything like that?

In the Korean version you had to do a quest to activate PVP but in the US version it just activates itself once you hit a certain level.

I have no interest whatsoever in PVP or in getting ganked (no matter how rare folks claim that it is).

I tried searching the interwebs but I can't find anything recent on the topic. I'm guessing they haven't done a damn thing about it, but I'm hoping against hope.

I asked earlier and someone told me that it activates when you hit lv50, but you have to do a certain quest to get to 50 (I'm guessing you just stop leveling at 49), so I'm planning to just avoid that quest.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

What?

When you hit 99.99% through lv49, you have to go through a quest to get to lv50. You are told explicitly that doing so will mean you are open to PVP encounters. You can ignore the quest if you want, and no longer gain XP and stay away from PVP if you choose to do so.

Ploid 3.0

Missed opportunity to get some more money out of people imho, I'd switch to Steam version client instantly if I could have use my current account.

If your account ever touches Steam you will forever have your purchases give Steam a 30% cut even if you stopped using the steam client. That's what I learned from Marvel Heroes CEO at the time (David Brevik). He felt it was worth it because he wanted more exposure, but I have a feeling they would have done it this way if they had a system set up to separate users.

There's another game that does this that recently moved to steam as well. Skyforge. No free money for Steam, money that they didn't need to pay for because if you already have an account and played their game you didn't need to know the game exists.

I wonder if Steam users will start putting pressure on developers to allow them to move to steam anyway. Valve making that automation cash.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I asked earlier and someone told me that it activates when you hit lv50, but you have to do a certain quest to get to 50 (I'm guessing you just stop leveling at 49), so I'm planning to just avoid that quest.

I read that the quest doesn't actually do anything and that you are forced into PVP regardless once you hit 50.

What?

When you hit 99.99% through lv49, you have to go through a quest to get to lv50. You are told explicitly that doing so will mean you are open to PVP encounters. You can ignore the quest if you want, and no longer gain XP and stay away from PVP if you choose to do so.

So you can't advance past 50 unless you opt in for PVP?

You do stop leveling but you still get the XP to hit 50 off mobs so be mindful and don't do the quest. I will say you will stunt your own growth if you want to go out to the desert and take on monsters because being lvl 49 isn't enough.

Ventara

You do stop leveling but you still get the XP to hit 50 off mobs so be mindful and don't do the quest. I will say you will stunt your own growth if you want to go out to the desert and take on monsters because being lvl 49 isn't enough.

Thanks, I'll watch out for that. I'll probably cross that line eventually, just that I'm just super casual and want to take things slow for now. I've never actually played a full-fledged MMO outside of 15 min of WoW.

Okay - do I need to be on a certain server / what is your name in game?

Names Leerok, i'll be on Mediah 1

Thanks, I'll watch out for that. I'll probably cross that line eventually, just that I'm just super casual and want to take things slow for now. I've never actually played a full-fledged MMO outside of 15 min of WoW.

Oh then yeah, the lvl 50 quest gives you a scroll to defeat a mini boss so it's easy to not hit 50.

Any way to play this in an ip blocked country?

I'll look into that for you and see if VPNs are possible

Freeman76

Damn this game is brilliant but seems very complex and I dont feel the game is teaching me the systems. Maybe Im too early on (lvl 15 atm) but I have no idea about most of it

Landford, a VPN should be fine since I did see a NA player on KR.

Just don't use WTFast as high ping stuff like that runs the risk of activating their anticheat system.

Landford

Banned
Landford, a VPN should be fine since I did see a NA player on KR.

Just don't use WTFast as high ping stuff like that runs the risk of activating their anticheat system.

Thanks! I was thinking more about buying it from the steam store using a VPN, But Im kinda afraid it could put my account in risk (The game doesnt show up on the store page)

So yeah, it seens the only way I can get the game for now is via Steam Gifting. If anyone is interested to buy me one and get paid via paypal give me a shout.

Vyrance

Well, that sucks. -1 sale for them I guess. Thanks.

You don't really have to worry about PVP much once you're 50. It's not like ArchAge where people randomly attack you just to be assholes. The only place in the game where that probably happens is Sausans. I can't even remember the last time someone attacked me when I was out and about.

Top Bottom