• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yea my case does pretty good cooling, and my ftw3 was pretty much instant mid to high 60s gaming. Strix is just on another level with that which is a shame because I thought icx would win out Temps wise.

But this is not only better Temps but I can't even hear it. Super impressed.

I think you just can't compensate for surface area, and the FTW3 has the least amount of true surface are for cooling. And the thinnest fans.

The Dude

I think you just can't compensate for surface area, and the FTW3 has the least amount of true surface are for cooling. And the thinnest fans.

They just didn't do it for me this time which is a shame as I've been a evga guy forever now. Unless my ftw3 was just the rarity but I've been testing since earlier today and I just can't get over the difference between these two cards especially when it comes to the money spent.

Everything on the subject of these cards is spot on when they mention performance the same and noise, Temps being the difference maker. I'm just so happy I made the switch because to see what I was missing out on. The Strix after gaming all afternoon hasn't cracked 60 degrees and the noise is nonexistent, which is funny because there are times I'm like oh wait I hear it... And then realize that's my epson.

Just very impressive all around. And I'm happy I can finally lay this hunt to rest and get back to gaming. Very happy overall.

paskowitz

The FTW3 also sinks more heat from the vrm than other cards. Since VRMs can take a lot of heat and cooling them a bit more won't increase their performance, this is an odd design choice.

For those with EVGA ICX cards support for the ICX sensors has been added to GPU-Z and is coming soon(ish) to MSI Afterburner.

Still no word on being able to control the fans with anything but Precision XOC
Thanks for posting this. I just got the SC2 and while it's great I'm not a huge fan of precision xoc. I want to go back to afterburner.

Thanks for posting this. I just got the SC2 and while it's great I'm not a huge fan of precision xoc. I want to go back to afterburner.

Asked Jacob from EVGA on Twitter about other apps controlling the fans, he said fan "monitoring" is coming soon to GPU-Z.

Probably means just seeing the RPM of the other fans, not controlling them. Would be nice if they opened the API up though.

scoobs

Well I'll say this first, bye bye ftw3. Very impressed with my Strix, first thing I have to say is it's about as silent as it gets... That in itself is worth the money. I'm at about 2050, with some drops to 2025. Temps are low 50s for awhile and slowly get to about mid 50, haven't seen over 60 yet but I haven't played a ton yet. However my evga was not only loud as hell but it was just riding hard mid mid and high 60s almsot from the get go. The icx cooler seemed to prevent it from really moving much but it would be fairly quick to reach mod 60s for normal gaming.

I'm really pleased so far, smooth, just feels great all around and so so quiet.

what's your fan speed at? Those temps are insanely low, doesn't make much sense to me.

plushyp

Have a choice to go for Asus Rog STRIX, STRIX OC or Poseiden. Which one should I go for if I'll stick to air cooling and stability?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Have a choice to go for Asus Rog STRIX, STRIX OC or Poseiden. Which one should I go for if I'll stick to air cooling and stability?

Well obviously the Poseiden is out if your want to air cool, lol, waste of money if you arent going to use its water feature, and less viable as a strict air cooler. The other 2 are exactly the same except for the factory OC.

The Dude

what's your fan speed at? Those temps are insanely low, doesn't make much sense to me.

65% fan speed pretty much which as I said is super quiet, I have to almost put my ear next to my Pc to hear the fans.

But yea color me really happy. And to boot I'm back to having a 2nd hdmi which I find really convenient, with my ftw3 I had to use a dp to hdmi adapter and I hated that as I preferred a straight shot.

Really wish I went for the Strix. But I'm stuck with my FTW3 because I bought it from a place that doesn't do returns, only replacements.

Was playing BF1 for a while last night and my FTW3 temps were getting to the low 70s again with power\memory being in the mid-high 70s.

One thing I've always wondered... is there anyway to have case fans ramp up with GPU temps? Having an AIO cooler, the GPU is really the only component that heats up the inside of my case. And moving the hot air out would go a long way to keep my GPU cool. So it's either have my case fans run at low RPM, or have them running at max all the time which is super loud. And I like that my PC is super quiet when I'm not gaming.

The Dude

Really wish I went for the Strix. But I'm stuck with my FTW3 because I bought it from a place that doesn't do returns, only replacements.

Was playing BF1 for a while last night and my FTW3 temps were getting to the low 70s again with powermemory being in the mid-high 70s.

One thing I've always wondered... is there anyway to have case fans ramp up with GPU temps? Having an AIO cooler, the GPU is really the only component that heats up the inside of my case. And moving the hot air out would go a long way to keep my GPU cool. So it's either have my case fans run at low RPM, or have them running at max all the time which is super loud. And I like that my PC is super quiet when I'm not gaming.

Have you considered selling it? I mean you'll lose a few bucks but nothing catastrophic imho... But just me personally, I'm officially happy as can be with my strix purchase. I hate that I'm away from evga but I really couldn't be happier. But if you sold it youd get the bulk of it back..

If you don't fancy Craigslist then try Facebook fleamarket, I've had a decent bit of success there and it's nice because it's not totally anonymous people.

Have you considered selling it? I mean you'll lose a few bucks but nothing catastrophic imho... But just me personally, I'm officially happy as can be with my strix purchase. I hate that I'm away from evga but I really couldn't be happier. But if you sold it youd get the bulk of it back..

If you don't fancy Craigslist then try Facebook fleamarket, I've had a decent bit of success there and it's nice because it's not totally anonymous people.

Well, I'd try GAF first. While the people are technically anonymous, I've always had good experiences selling video cards here (sold 4 so far). But I didn't consider it due to how much money I'd probably lose flipping something brand new.

The Dude

Well, I'd try GAF first. While the people are technically anonymous, I've always had good experiences selling video cards here (sold 4 so far). But I didn't consider it due to how much money I'd probably lose flipping something brand new.

Or gaf yea, ha totally forgot and same I've sold here a few things as well. I was thinking about actually meet and greet, I hate Craig's for that stuff but Face book is nice because you can see people. But yea I'd try here first easily.

Well I mean is there a reason you could consider RMAing it back, get a new sealed one and then sell the sealed box?

Or if not I'd imagine that someone would bite at say 685 or 700 with it being opened and it being a higher retail price, again it sucks to lose but I always find that once I get what makes me happy then even if I lost a few it feels justified. But that's how I'd approach it.

Well I mean is there a reason you could consider RMAing it back, get a new sealed one and then sell the sealed box?

Or if not I'd imagine that someone would bite at say 685 or 700 with it being opened and it being a higher retail price, again it sucks to lose but I always find that once I get what makes me happy then even if I lost a few it feels justified. But that's how I'd approach it.

That's an idea. I guess I could just get the Strix in the meantime. Would hurt my bank account shortterm, but would hopefully be remedied shortly thereafter.

I do like how the card looks, but I prefer the not so in-your-face look of the Strix's LEDs. Doesn't say ASUS GEFORCE 1080TI ROG STRIX along the side :p

dvFov4V.jpg

Gotta make sure the Strix will fit, actually. I'm sure it would, but the FTW3 took some maneuvering.

Asus 1080ti installed!!
AQfpH6o.jpg

What's the fancy ROG acrylic thinger under your Strix?

Dave_6

That's an idea. I guess I could just get the Strix in the meantime. Would hurt my bank account shortterm, but would hopefully be remedied shortly thereafter.

I do like how the card looks, but I prefer the not so in-your-face look of the Strix's LEDs. Doesn't say ASUS GEFORCE 1080TI ROG STRIX along the side :p

Gotta make sure the Strix will fit, actually. I'm sure it would, but the FTW3 took some maneuvering.

I personally love the look of the FTW3. Looks great in that pic of your rig. Is that the S340 Elite?

The FTW3 is the one I've been wanting but the issues you and a few others have had have me questioning that. I think about getting a Strix but then you have the possible coil whine and the not great ASUS customer service, especially compared to EVGA.

I personally love the look of the FTW3. Looks great in that pic of your rig. Is that the S340 Elite?
I wish. It's the NZXT H440. I should have shopped around for cases a bit more....

The FTW3 is the one I've been wanting but the issues you and a few others have had have me questioning that. I think about getting a Strix but then you have the possible coil whine and the not great ASUS customer service, especially compared to EVGA.
I never did care much about customer service in the past. Once I've landed on video cards that work, I tend to just use them until it's time to sell them. So I tend to not consider that much when buying video cards.

I think the FTW3 and Strix both look great. Can't go wrong either aesthetically. And I wouldnt' worry much about coil whine. If it turned out that I got one with bad coil whine, I'd just cross ship another through Amazon.

The Dude

Yea same, I don't ever really need customer service and I won't quit until someone helps me eventually with anything I purchase if need be so that isn't a huge thing. Evga while I know they have a great rep, they aren't perfect... I've had a few things that suck and they don't bend, like my ftw3 is going back and they're charging a restock fee but not only that I gotta pay for my own shipping and it's like wow really, how about 10% restock and then I pay for shipping, that wouldn't be bad. Even places like Newegg bend.

But yea, the ftw3 is a nice looking card but I definitely am glad I switched.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yes my Strix is at 30 - 40, idled and 60 - 70 under load, noise is nothing. I'm thinking about how to add fans to make it go even lower.

The Dude

Yes my Strix is at 30 - 40, idled and 60 - 70 under load, noise is nothing. I'm thinking about how to add fans to make it go even lower.

Yea your case might hold you back a bit from even better Temps, mine is mid to high 50s under load and just levels off.... I can't stress enough how much I love this card.

Man you guys are making me regret my Zotac even more. It was getting above 80C without an overclock (though well, I just remembered that the Amp Extreme has I think the highest clocks of any 1080 ti out of the box anyway so that could be to blame for higher temps than other cards) with the more or less silent fan curve I set. I adjusted the fan so it's a bit louder to try and keep it in the 70s instead. Everyone's idea of quiet is different though so maybe for you it's still louder than I'd like, or maybe because I keep my case fans running quiet too I just have lesser airflow.

Doesn't seem like there is a huge difference between EVGA's cards. I get why they have multiple 1080 ti's but it just seems like 1 or 2 too many.

Asked Jacob from EVGA on Twitter about other apps controlling the fans, he said fan "monitoring" is coming soon to GPU-Z.

Probably means just seeing the RPM of the other fans, not controlling them. Would be nice if they opened the API up though.

Oh well thats a shame. I'll play around with Precision more but I just don't like the overlay it sends out.

So the Strix or whatever is the recommended card? And the EVGA cards run too hot? I usually go EVGA.

Strix is one of the better ones from what I've read. My SC2 doesn't push 73 degrees so I haven't had an issue (I should edit this part: this was on a 100 degree day while running a stress test).

The Dude

Man you guys are making me regret my Zotac even more. It was getting above 80C without an overclock with the more or less silent fan curve I set. I adjusted the fan so it's a bit louder to try and keep it in the 70s instead. Everyone's idea of quiet is different though so maybe for you it's still louder than I'd like, or maybe because I keep my case fans running quiet too I just have lesser airflow.

Yea thats definitely pretty high, is your case older? Not sure tho on zotac to much to say but that definitely seems a tad high for these new gpus and their coolers.

So the Strix or whatever is the recommended card? And the EVGA cards run too hot? I usually go EVGA.

Not sure if it's a consensus but I'm an evga guy thru and thru, I've been buying their cards without fail for years now and I pre ordered the ftw3 instantly without thought. I totally dislike ditching evga but my card personally ran warmer than I'd like, high 60s is still fairly cool tho... I could deal with those temps, but it was the noise levels that really threw me off.

If I could plug for evga right now I would, but i have to really give it to Asus on this

Man you guys are making me regret my Zotac even more. It was getting above 80C without an overclock (though well, I just remembered that the Amp Extreme has I think the highest clocks of any 1080 ti out of the box anyway so that could be to blame for higher temps than other cards) with the more or less silent fan curve I set. I adjusted the fan so it's a bit louder to try and keep it in the 70s instead. Everyone's idea of quiet is different though so maybe for you it's still louder than I'd like, or maybe because I keep my case fans running quiet too I just have lesser airflow.

There must be something wrong with your card or setup. On default fan curve my card doesn't get up to more than 61c in mostly all games I've played with it.

It was cooler by 2-4 degrees and quieter than the ASUS (coil whine and loud fans).

And I am very sensitive to any fan/coil noise on cards too.

Yea thats definitely pretty high, is your case older? Not sure tho on zotac to much to say but that definitely seems a tad high for these new gpus and their coolers.

Not sure if it's a consensus but I'm an evga guy thru and thru, I've been buying their cards without fail for years now and I pre ordered the ftw3 instantly without thought. I totally dislike ditching evga but my card personally ran warmer than I'd like, high 60s is still fairly cool tho... I could deal with those temps, but it was the noise levels that really threw me off.

If I could plug for evga right now I would, but i have to really give it to Asus on this

It's a Fractal Design Define C, so pretty small and the card just barely fits but I do have a 140mm front fan with a direct airflow path blowing on/under the card. It did run cooler when I had the fans on the default curve, but it was too loud for me so I set a custom fan curve that maxes out at 60%. Previously I had it set to 50% from 60-80C with it only going to 60% over 80C, but changed it to hit 60% on the fans at >70C but haven't had a chance to really stress it yet with this curve to see how it goes.

There must be something wrong with your card or setup. On default fan curve my card doesn't get up to more than 61c in mostly all games I've played with it.

It was cooler by 2-4 degrees and quieter than the ASUS (coil whine and loud fans).

When I took the card out of the box I did find a screw rattling around in the cooler, I'm wondering if maybe that being missing is keeping it from making proper contact or something.

Dave_6

I'm leaning towards the Strix now. I'm going to do a full upgrade of my PC, case and all, and am planning to go with the Enthoo Evolv. I've read that it's airflow isn't the best so if the Strix runs cooler than that will work out better.

The Dude

Yea I was gonna say that your zotac isn't running anywhere near as hot as his, because I do know zotac from what I read definitely has good cooling and Temps.

I think sadly every batch of cards will just all have some coil whiners and what not. Although maybe mine would if I was pushing 200 frames, so not sure.

All I know is im glad my 1080 ti hunt comes to a close, good times hah

I think I'm gonna get the MSI or Asus and return the Zotac. I feel something may be wrong with mine, and between not being able to use the idle fan stop due to it revving fans up to 100% when starting them (which is LOUD and super startling), the annoying blinking blue light, and my concerns that it's running hotter/louder than it really should... For this much money I really want something I'm actually happy with and not just content with. Both MSI and Asus seem to be among the quieter 1080 Tis, with Asus seeming to be cooler at a given noise level according to this article while MSI has a lower max noise.

So I think I found out something about my card, despite the boost clock being labeled as 1759Mhz in the Firestorm software, when I ran Superposition it actually went up to 2063Mhz on its own despite me not having actually overclocked it to that point. That and upon manually setting the GPU fans to 60% I realized they sound quieter than it does at that speed while gaming and it hit me: I'm conflating the noise of the GPU with my PSU fan ramping up when it's under a heavy load.

So yeah, I think my card is actually just fine and I'm being super paranoid about it because of the PC issues I was dealing with a few months ago. Guess I'll keep this one after all, especially since my adjusted fan curve should keep it under 80C.

So I think I found out something about my card, despite the boost clock being labeled as 1759Mhz in the Firestorm software, when I ran Superposition it actually went up to 2063Mhz on its own despite me not having actually overclocked it to that point.

That's just GPU boost. I think the only time you'd ever see the out-of-the-box boost clock these days is in a small form factor PC with crappy cooling or something.

I'm waiting on my replacement FTW3 now. If it gets here after my next paycheck, I'll just sell it as-is and grab a Strix.

Bar81

Shows how different everyone is. I hate bling and think the new look of the 1080Ti cards from EVGA is really nice and understated and strikes the perfect balance between having something to look at through my case window (black and white theme for my system) and not being ugly. I'm doing a step up from a 1070FTW2 to a SC and really like that it's just plain white without multiple colors or descriptions of what EVGA specific model it is (other than off to the side on an edge in small type).

It's certainly significantly more understated than that ROG thing in your second pic.

scoobs

Yea your case might hold you back a bit from even better Temps, mine is mid to high 50s under load and just levels off.... I can't stress enough how much I love this card.

I'm sorry but at 100% load you just can't get those temperatures, it makes no sense. Do you live in an igloo? All the benchmarks I've seen have it somewhere between 65-75 under load.

jrcbandit

I'm sorry but at 100% load you just can't get those temperatures, it makes no sense. Do you live in an igloo? All the benchmarks I've seen have it somewhere between 65-75 under load.
I think he mentioned to me that he keeps his house at under 68 F while my ambient temp is 77-78 F since I live in 100+ F Texas and don't want a second mortgage to afford AC. My hybrid cooler can be like 5 degrees cooler in winter lol.

Yea I was gonna say that your zotac isn't running anywhere near as hot as his, because I do know zotac from what I read definitely has good cooling and Temps.

I think sadly every batch of cards will just all have some coil whiners and what not. Although maybe mine would if I was pushing 200 frames, so not sure.

All I know is im glad my 1080 ti hunt comes to a close, good times hah

I might throw my STRIX back in my case and run it as hard as possible to see if I can do anything about the coil whine.

The Dude

I'll record it if need be, but my Temps at 65% fan speed get me high 50s and last night it touched 60. But that's as high as I've seen now with hours of gaming during Prey.

It hasnt gotten hot yet here in Pittsburgh and has been fairly cool, and I typically keep my house around 67 to 68 in general.

But yea, not sure what else to tell ya... But my card sure as hell isn't anywhere near 70 degrees. My ftw3 was easily, that thing was mid 60s right off the bat almost when I turned games on.

Phinor

One day Nvidia will do something about high idle clocks with multiple monitors/refresh rates. But 1080 Ti still wasn't that day, neither was any of their previous card ever since I switched to Nvidia years and years ago. My 1080 Ti Gaming X is idling at 58-62C, core clock at 1418MHz with 0% GPU usage. What a waste of energy. Constant power draw of 27% just to display picture on one monitor, because even if the other screens are turned off, the idle clocks remain super high. The only way to get any lower than 1418MHz is to unplug one of the three screens.

Pretty decent card otherwise though.

The Dude

One day Nvidia will do something about high idle clocks with multiple monitors/refresh rates. But 1080 Ti still wasn't that day, neither was any of their previous card ever since I switched to Nvidia years and years ago. My 1080 Ti Gaming X is idling at 58-62C, core clock at 1418MHz with 0% GPU usage. What a waste of energy. Constant power draw of 27% just to display picture on one monitor, because even if the other screens are turned off, the idle clocks remain super high. The only way to get any lower than 1418MHz is to unplug one of the three screens.

Pretty decent card otherwise though.

Weird, mine is idling around 32

Xyber

SpeedFan. You need to check some guide on youtube to know how to actually set it up properly though, it's not the easiest.

I spent maybe an hour setting it up for my PC about a month back and it's so much better now. When my CPU works hard, only my rad (and pump) ramps up. At idle speeds the pump only has to run at around 40% to maintain temps bit be completely quiet.

And for gaming the other fans ramp up more, but the CPU rad can still stay at very low speeds.

scoobs

I'll record it if need be, but my Temps at 65% fan speed get me high 50s and last night it touched 60. But that's as high as I've seen now with hours of gaming during Prey.

It hasnt gotten hot yet here in Pittsburgh and has been fairly cool, and I typically keep my house around 67 to 68 in general.

But yea, not sure what else to tell ya... But my card sure as hell isn't anywhere near 70 degrees. My ftw3 was easily, that thing was mid 60s right off the bat almost when I turned games on.

You are 10 degrees cooler than benchmarks (15-20 in some benchs). I'd have to see it to believe it, but I'm not going to bother you about it any further, I just don't believe you lol. There is no such thing as magic last time I checked.

The Dude

You are 10 degrees cooler than benchmarks (15-20 in some benchs). I'd have to see it to believe it, but I'm not going to bother you about it any further, I just don't believe you lol. There is no such thing as magic last time I checked.

That's cool, I'm just tryin to figure out what I'd be gaining by lying. It's not like I work for Asus or something.

Top Bottom