• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

fernoca

Hmm, seems there was an update. Just downloaded on mine.

Just tried the game docked and it looks fine. Thought it would look blurrier after some impressions, but the sprites were already a bit blurry on PS4.

Handheld looks amazing though.

selo

Yeah, don't know what the update was, but I did notice that the long 'loading' screen in the beginning is gone now.

The game had a couple known bugs earlier in the Japanese version that were patched. One was a crash from a missing english voice file so you had to play with JP voices, another was a crash when it tried to load a certain music track in the item world, you had to set it to a different track to work around it.

King_Moc

Banned

Just tried the game docked and it looks fine. Thought it would look blurrier after some impressions, but the sprites were already a bit blurry on PS4.

I think it was drawn at 720p, so yeah, handheld mode looks great as it's native res.

garion333

Neo Member
Excellent OP!

I purchased the game this AM and let it download while at work. Stoked for some handheld Disgaea as it's easily the best way to play these games.

pariah164

Still waiting on my download to finish...

ekJ48.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

They actually improved the sprites slightly compared to the ps4 version despite them not updating the dock

Murkas

When I first was going after Carnage Dark, I had to use combo attacks to be able to take him out. It definitely is really hard. If you can get him whittled down with your main squad, make 6 generic Archers and attack with them in turn. Their Support Attack will boost the combo up to 3x and then use your character that needs the slot to get the finishing blow. I'm not sure if Tower Laser works or not. The first turn, just turtle behind the base panel with either a really strong character or a throwaway. He'll port to you, then next one he should hit you and give a bunch of debuffs. After that bring out archers, use a Professor to buff your support unit and go to town.

I can give more specific advice if I know just how much of his hp you can do in 1 hit.

I managed to kill him pretty easy with my buffed Sage using Tera Star+afternoon tea.

He had a tiny bit of health left before the final tera star so I think I can manage to team attack him to finish him off which shouldn't be too bad.

Edit: Just gave my Sage the Chopstick Gun as her sub weapon, always leaving Carnage Dark at 1HP to get finished off. Nice and easy.

Switch games must be selling ridiculously well. Amazon couldn't ship my Disgaea because it was temporarily out of stock even though I preordered and Ultra Street Fighter isn't even available anymore to order.

Ended up picking this up at GameStop because I didn't wanna wait

scy

I debated physical vs digital for a bit and have ended up with my copy not even shipping yet from Amazon.

feelsbadman

I had preordered from Amazon quite a while ago, but they never shipped my copy. Best Buy to the rescue!

I'm pretty excited to jump in, I haven't really gotten into a Disgaea since the PSP ports of 1 & 2.

scy

Complain to support and you'll get a free month of Prime or, if you're lucky, store credit.

Yeah, in the process of that now but I'm assuming the lack of a specific date at the time of ordering will nix that. They've managed to mess up basically every preorder I've done this year. It's been a mess and/or shipping in Texas has hit an all new low.

Now the debate of buying it digitally anyway.

They told me since it didn't have a Guaranteed date I was SOL.

:( This is kind of what I figured would happen. I don't think it had a proper date at any point, though? I believe it went from stating 5/31 to ???. It even had a Wii U designation one day. Which, in hindsight, may have said all that I needed to know about the situation.

Yeah, in the process of that now but I'm assuming the lack of a specific date at the time of ordering will nix that. They've managed to mess up basically every preorder I've done this year. It's been a mess and/or shipping in Texas has hit an all new low.

Now the debate of buying it digitally anyway.

:( This is kind of what I figured would happen. I don't think it had a proper date at any point, though? I believe it went from stating 5/31 to ???. It even had a Wii U designation one day. Which, in hindsight, may have said all that I needed to know about the situation.

Mine said Guaranteed Delivery and then yesterday switched back to We'll email you so who knows. I think they over sold by quite a bit

Playing through this right now, fucking loving it.
I haven't played Disgaea in a few years, I think maybe the last one I played was 4.
Actually, looking at boxart, I've actually played every single main iteration of the series.
I love it <3

aett

Just picked up my copy.

Is anyone (particularly D5 first-timers) using the DLC characters/classes from the beginning?

Murkas

Just picked up my copy.

Is anyone (particularly D5 first-timers) using the DLC characters/classes from the beginning?

DLC characters are level 1000+ and you have to beat them to get them to join your team so it's impossible to get them from the beginning (unless they changed it in the Switch version).

aett

DLC characters are level 1000+ and you have to beat them to get them to join your team so it's impossible to get them from the beginning (unless they changed it in the Switch version).

Seems that way, because there's an NPC at the very start of the game who lets you put characters like Girl Laharl and Nisa in your team. Then, once you do the first tutorial battle and unlock the recruiter, it opens up the DLC classes like Sorcerer.

Edit: Some of the things the NPC lets you unlock appear to be battles, so I guess at least some of the DLC characters must be fought first.

The first DLC I downloaded was the D1 pack cause I wanted Laharl and Flonne. It was definitely must lower than that, in terms of level.

Currently, my Flonne is level 191 and I went back into the DLC just to compare, and the Flonne you fight is level 97.

Their level scales with whatever level you are, I believe, but it looks like they have at least half of what my level is.

Just now, I downloaded the Priere DLC, and she's level 90 and I'm like 180.

apd_ng

I did the DLC episodes in the beginning all the quests were lvl 5 mobs, all the dlc characters came into my party at lvl 5 too i believe

I did the Laharl quests before I even did the second Main Quest and I managed to get through it.

I'm pretty sure all the DLC characters are pretty low level =o

Murkas

Ah I guess DLC characters are based on your level then, I didn't buy the season pass until it was on sale and I was well into post game lol.

lol

Everyone talks about how Amazon has gotten really bad with pre-orders recently and I'm all like "sucks to be you guys, my games always show up on release day!"

...and then my Disgaea 5 Complete delivery gets delayed until tomorrow.

Yay! :(

Seik

Banned
So I started my game during lunch and wow, they throw a lot of shit at you right at the beginning like Female Laharl and a 100K HP Prinny! And also a fuckton of quests! :lol

(Edit: Yeah and 1M HL like the post below says!!!)

Feels like I'm cheating right at the beginning!

I think I'll just play the main quest to begin.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh right I'm remembering why I like the writing in Disgaea, because the whole "demons" thing means that the main cast doesn't do any brooding or moping and just knows they're badasses who deserve to win

Listonosh

You won't feel so bad when you run into an early post game map(that by the way is required for progression) and all the enemies are level 1500-2k and your whole squad is like 400 and getting 1 shot by them lol. Like you said, much different than a game like FE, where permadeath is a thing on higher levels or FFT where you can hit a hard brick wall if you didn't save before a chain of events to properly grind. Being OP and figuring out OP ways to kill the OP as **** enemies is the big draw.

The maps end up getting tougher too. There are ones where a squad of archers are out of reach for all but your range and you have to navigate a maze of geo panels to be able to open them up to attack. All while battling ground enemies and getting pelted.

Then a map where 5 Wrestlers throw 5 strong enemies at you from what feels like 2 continents away so after the first turn your Base Panel I'd swarmed and you don't have any safe spots to hide.

Then there are the maps where you have to split your squad in half and make 2 towers of 4 to reach a geo panel that will allow the rest to move up and engage the enemy. Oh yeah, it will be 12-15 spaces away so the member that was thrown is fighting solo for 2-3 until the rest of the support arrives.

Oooooooor, you can go power level to like 1000 and worry about none of that and just 1 shit everything. Ooooooor, level to 1000 but then level the enemies to 1200 to make it even harder. That's what the game is about. Freedom to break it or break your own will as you choose. Play how you have fun and enjoy!

To add on to what Omega said, there's an endgame item that has high movement and allows you to teleport through enemies. It starts out at around 100 in all stats. I just started leveling mine and after 60 cleared floors in Land of Carnage 20* difficulty, all the stats are around 600. It gets exponentially more, but I've gotta get that to 2 million lol.

Question for Switch owners(gonna pick my copy up on Tuesday). Are the DLC character episodes available as soon as you start up the game?

Holy crap, just saw your reply. Thanks for the added details. I'm super pumped to put in more hours, and now that I know I'm supposed to "break" the game, I think I understand it just a bit more, even if it's still super weird.

Oh right I'm remembering why I like the writing in Disgaea, because the whole "demons" thing means that the main cast doesn't do any brooding or moping and just knows they're badasses who deserve to win

I haven't played Disgaea since Disgaea 4, which was released in 2011. It's wonderful to turn on the new game and realize that all the jokes are there. Not the same ones, but news ones that are just as funny.

lol

Everyone talks about how Amazon has gotten really bad with pre-orders recently and I'm all like "sucks to be you guys, my games always show up on release day!"

Am I like, the only one who still walks to the stores and buy it on the release day? o_O
I just walked to gamestop and bought my pre order.

I think that's part of the reason why I've always liked the Disgaea series. It generally doesn't take itself seriously, even if the main campaigns all eventually have some serious story beats.

It revels in how ridiculous it is, and even with all its anime tropes, that's still refreshing compared to most games.

oSoLucky

So no one at Best Buy even knew they had the game. There was 1 BotW and 1 1,2 Switch on the floor in their Switch area. I had to wait a half hour for them to figure out where the game was in their warehouse(they got 5 copies) and get it for me. Doesn't matter now. It's on the way home with me. I'll triple dip if that PC version comes through too. I want these games to keep being made.

Also, Persona 5 is being promoted on the PS4 kiosk? Is this real life? It's on screen alternating time with Infinite Warfare lol.

Nairume

Banned
Am I like, the only one who still walks to the stores and buy it on the release day? o_O
I did for BotW, because I wasn't about to risk picking up my Switch and having Amazon fail to send the game in time. Otherwise, I've just been happy to get the 20% discount, though it has lately meant that Amazon has been sucking with release day shipping.

Incidentally, my copy isn't getting here until tomorrow now.

scy

lol

Mine became a "We'll get it to you when we can, dealwithit" :|

It was mostly just my cheapest option which helped since the Switch was sort of an impulse buy / lucky moment. Removing the being tight with money and I probably would have just gone digital instead.

What did I miss? How is this out on the Eshop already? Can't justify not buying through Amazon due to the crazy preorder discount but it's tempting to download.

Luigi87

Decided to grab the 1mil HL. Was gonna be a purist and avoid it, then thought I don't have quite the time I used to to invest in these games, so screw it, I'll grab it to start with Genius level recruits.

aett

Just got Zetta/Petta/Pram at level 3. I loved Makai Kingdom so I definitely needed Zetta ASAP. Too bad they changed his voice actor and they just call him "Badass Overlord" instead of "Badass Freakin' Overlord".

Decided to grab the 1mil HL. Was gonna be a purist and avoid it, then thought I don't have quite the time I used to to invest in these games, so screw it, I'll grab it to start with Genius level recruits.

On top of that, having played other iterations of the series, we all know the 1 million HL helps, but it really is a tiny drop in the bucket as far the game goes.

I already made the game harder through the assembly <3

OmegaDL50

Ah I guess DLC characters are based on your level then, I didn't buy the season pass until it was on sale and I was well into post game lol.

The DLC characters recruitment levels scale based on your current chapter in story mode.

At Chapter 1 in very beginning they are all level 1 to 5, and in the post game they are 800+ or higher.

This how it worked on the PS4 version and I am pretty sure it has not changed for the Switch version either.

Don't remember if Sub-classes were available in Disgaea 4 (i don't think so...) but being able to have sub classes on the main characters is a god sent.

OmegaDL50

Don't remember if Sub-classes were available in Disgaea 4 (i don't think so...) but being able to have sub classes on the main characters is a god sent.

Sub-classing was introduced in Disgaea 5.

Quoting a bit of my tutorial in the OP, sub-classing has huge benefits and is one of the main keys to maximize a character stats.

When a class is mastered, That classes stat curve is adopted into the character that mastered it.

For example take a Warrior generic who maxes out his base class as a Warrior to 6, and then masters Magician and then reincarnates at 9999 back to 1.

At level 1 not only will this reincarnated Warrior have all of the base stats of a Rank 6 Warrior at level 1 but ALSO the base stats of a Rank 6 Magician as well.

This includes Unique characters as well such as Killia.

Mastering every single class on a single character and then reincarnating back to 1. At level 1 this character with all classes mastered will have 1,100 in all stats and will become roughly 10 Million in all stats at 9,999.

For example.

Stats are capped at 20 Million total. 10 Million for levels and 10 Million for Shards.

Getting all classes mastered fulfills the stat caps for levels, which only leaves the Shard grinding.

This substantially reduces the grind to max out a character.

Top Bottom