• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Wagram

I never had the chance to play against Nilfgaard in the closed beta. They're pretty crazy and confusing as hell.

Exentryk

giphy.gif

Kalor

I hope the ps4 version is good. Any chance of pro benefits?

They better come out with an iPad version.

I downloaded the ps4 version earlier and it's fine. I don't know what pro benefits you would get with it. I think it's already running at 60.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I ran into people with legit complete decks half an hour after the beta started. How did they even get those packs open so fast?

Beta players, or paid probably.

For me, I'm struggling to figure out the decks. I'm not so sure what is "starter" about placing your units behind enemy lines.

Beta players, or paid probably.

For me, I'm struggling to figure out the decks. I'm not so sure what is "starter" about placing your units behind enemy lines.

That's the most complicated faction for a beginner. All the other factions are pretty easy to understand imo

Exentryk

I think I'll start this up over the weekend and see if I got any kegs. Stopped playing before the ranked mode released. Never saw Nilfgard in action, so should have some fun at least.

Can't wait to dig into all the changes, but I'm still not happy about weather. It makes absolutely no sense any more. We're fighting on a battlefield, that's the whole point of Gwent, so weather should affect the entire board and be fought around strategically. Why would biting frost affect one army's melee units but not the other's? They're literally standing next to each other =P

I probably take it too literally given it's a card game, but I think staying thematic to the battlefield format is really important. Weather needed nerfing, but not changing into something completely nonsensical.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I haven't played since the early days in closed beta when they started messing around with my Skellige faction. Public Beta is a perfect time to dive back in.

What happened? Redraws in round 2 and 3. No faction abilities, armor, etc.

First multiplayer match against Nilfgaard with fancy borders around his avatar. Thanks matchmaking.

Edit:
I'll try to make my Skellige deck great again.

Dear god, these weather effects are far worse than ever before.

So many over the top effects that force you to carry 2-3 weather removals.

You cant escape shit like drought, and fire, and the sea ones. It's insane that they dont affect both sides

JustinBB7

Man I opened like 120 kegs or something and thought I'd get a decent collection, since I had a full collection before the wipe. Feels like I'm not even halfway now!

Then again I suppose being level 60 and rank 15 got me a shit ton of kegs as well, they will pull in once ranked is available at level 10 I suppose.

And all golds being legendary now (which I like) really halts getting good cards fast. Feels weird not having Gigni and Ciri.

You cant escape shit like drought, and fire, and the sea ones. It's insane that they dont affect both sides

Ragh Nar Roog isn't that OP. To maximise value you need to play it sooner but the earlier you do the more likely they're still holding onto a first light.

Clear Skies was one row only for a time but they changed it back. With weather being moderately useful people might actually keep first light to use the option on the left

Can't wait to dig into all the changes, but I'm still not happy about weather. It makes absolutely no sense any more. We're fighting on a battlefield, that's the whole point of Gwent, so weather should affect the entire board and be fought around strategically. Why would biting frost affect one army's melee units but not the other's? They're literally standing next to each other =P

I probably take it too literally given it's a card game, but I think staying thematic to the battlefield format is really important. Weather needed nerfing, but not changing into something completely nonsensical.

Not really fond of the changes. Faction abilities, the way weather is done, and Ive noticed more cards can placed on any row? I may need to spend more time with it but so far I prefer the closed beta version over this.

Not really fond of the changes. Faction abilities, the way weather is done, and Ive noticed more cards can placed on any row? I may need to spend more time with it but so far I prefer the closed beta version over this.

Faction abilities were an unbalanced mess. There was no way to balance them out.

Right now, factions have exclusive cards, and thats good enough.

Weather is atrociously bad. It must affect both sides in order to feel strategic because one side can ramp up their score otherwise

Card placement seems to have changed but there are plenty of dedicated row cards. Those seem like they just need to be learned

The languge of card abilities still needs to be clearer. I feel like there is some redundancy that can be cleaned up still.

Auctopus

Sort of OT: there's a free theme for this game on the PSN store.

It would make a great theme (great icons, music, SFX) if it weren't for the absolutely awful image resolution they've used for the background. It's really bad.

Lucumo

Shouldn't have said anything, Skellige kicked my ass for a bit with their reviving cards. Only beat it when I was lucky enough to get the lock-card (I always use the corresponding starter deck, so I guess I have always the worse one). Second game bottom row was annoying too, he even always drew the same card in the third round when he was out of cards before (the one that sacrifices itself and then summons some strength 12 card).

Wagram

Damn.. Going from Witcher 3 Gwent to Closed Beta to Public Beta, I feel a little disappointed that they changed this so much. I hope the new Gwent grows on me

It's not really that much different to be honest. I feel like when I lose it's my fault rather than I got boned by a card advantage trait or random OP Monster kept on the board.

TheYanger

tbh, if it had stayed the same as Witcher 3 Gwent it would be DOA. That game was a LOT of fun, but it's not good for competition. It's very good for like, a minigame against a computer, but even playing with the cards in real life (own both sets) it just becomes an exercise in who can get the most broken hand. The interactions get stale quickly too, whereas in TW3 you've got all kinds of people using all kinds of decks to play against and you're buildikng from shit to godlike.

Running an Axeman deck in the current state of the game and so far, it's going really well. Was regretting picking up Birna Bran up until the point where I realized she synergized perfectly with Axemen (shes now a graveyard raider ala griffin AND does wounding every turn). Just assumed she had her card draw effect from pre-Open Beta. Pleasantly surprised now.

Alright, got home and started opening my kegs. I might have opened 150 kegs (110 from levels/rank/beta purchases and the I might have bought 40 more...)

My priority in selecting Legendaries went as follows: Any Premium-> Northern Realms -> Neutral -> Nilfgaard -> the rest. And, as is my great luck, I got literally ONE Northern Realms Legendary.

Here were my legenedary draws (bold is my selection)

Avallac'h / Imlerith / Madman Lugos
Caretaker / Drought / Milva
Woodland Spirit (Premium)
Triss Merigold
Caranthir
Cerys / Kayran / Xanthisius
Wild Board of the Sea / Cahir / Draugh
Menno Coehoorn / Birna Bran / Imlerith
Hjalmar / Xanthisius / Caretaker
Triss Merrigold / Xanthisius / Kayran
Rainfarn / Priscilla / Wild Boar of the Sea

That's it, only Northern Realms gold I got was freaking Priscilla.

TheSeks

That's the most complicated faction for a beginner. All the other factions are pretty easy to understand imo

I dunno. I'm losing plenty of games trying to play strong cards and then passing thinking they'll just wait to blow me out next round.

Or pass first round and then get blown out the next two rounds by strength 10+ cards.

I have no fucking clue to this game. I tried the closed beta and stopped because it felt like it does now: You get no ability to get out of "jail"/problems against the opponents deck. So if you keep these 1-2 STR cards that do draw and they play like 5-6 STR cards to get to 40 within 2-3 turns, it's like "well shit, why did I hold/put these cards in the deck?"

Mulligans especially vex me. I have no clue what you'd want to mulligan. "Oh this 10STR card that that damages 3STR on a unit should be mulligan'd." It's like "why?" The tutorial just goes "IDK. *shrug* We're not going to explain the special cards right now so just dump those. lol!"

But I'm trying out all the starter decks for the factions and fumbling on trying to do anything with them because the game doesn't actually properly explain them.

gwent is now keyword hell

Keyword hell wouldn't be a problem if you could fucking see the keywords on the mulligan screen. I can high-light the cards and understand what the keywords do in the BATTLEFIELD, but I can't do it in the mulligan screen? WTF. It feels like they made the "new player that has no damn experience with Gwent" experience even worse than the closed beta.

Keyword hell wouldn't be a problem if you could fucking see the keywords on the mulligan screen. I can high-light the cards and understand what the keywords do in the BATTLEFIELD, but I can't do it in the mulligan screen? WTF. It feels like they made the "new player that has no damn experience with Gwent" experience even worse than the closed beta.
The place without descriptions that bothered me the most is choosing cards from kegs :p

tried it in TW3, and didnt grasp it after a game or two. made little sense. maybe ill try again. seems like most people love it once you get to understand it

TheSeks

The place without descriptions that bothered me the most is choosing cards from kegs :p

Exactly. There's too many places where as a new player with NO experience with Gwent (as I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet) it's just "buh? Wha????" in trying to understand the game.

I feel they need to put a basic campaign in for free and not have it locked behind scraps or whatever they're planning to do. Having a campaign can help. Phantom Dust's campaign is long but it slowly explains concepts. Do that with various faction introductions (maybe?) or have the factions be slowly introduced and it could help. I mean even Magic: the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers does similar in having a "campaign" for players to get comfortable with and having keywords and the like being able to be explained in mini-tutorials now and then.

Nose Master

I dunno. I'm losing plenty of games trying to play strong cards and then passing thinking they'll just wait to blow me out next round.

Or pass first round and then get blown out the next two rounds by strength 10+ cards.

I have no fucking clue to this game. I tried the closed beta and stopped because it felt like it does now: You get no ability to get out of "jail"/problems against the opponents deck. So if you keep these 1-2 STR cards that do draw and they play like 5-6 STR cards to get to 40 within 2-3 turns, it's like "well shit, why did I hold/put these cards in the deck?"

Mulligans especially vex me. I have no clue what you'd want to mulligan. "Oh this 10STR card that that damages 3STR on a unit should be mulligan'd." It's like "why?" The tutorial just goes "IDK. *shrug* We're not going to explain the special cards right now so just dump those. lol!"

But I'm trying out all the starter decks for the factions and fumbling on trying to do anything with them because the game doesn't actually properly explain them.

Decks are situational. You could be setting up a combo, and one of your vital cards gets bopped. Mulligans let you reroll new strategies instead of being stuck with a broken combo.

Passing on the first round is silly, imo. I only pass when I have a crazy lead and want them to burn cards to catch up, weather has boned my deck, or playing catch-up to the current hand wouldn't be worth it.

That said: does clear skies negate weather for the entire set? Didn't get effects from a monster card pull as nilf either on res or removing and replacing it a few times. Monster only on the bonus?

gergstep

Neo Member
The Dagon's Cultists challenge is kicking my ass... Does anyone have any suggestions? It felt fairly straight-forward up until this challenge.

Also, anytime I play down a hound of the wild hunt it never lets me activate its frost ability, is there a reason that I'm not seeing for that to occur? Perhaps the fog on my side isn't letting me use it? Any help would be appreciated!

TheSeks

Decks are situational. You could be setting up a combo, and one of your vital cards gets bopped. Mulligans let you reroll new strategies instead of being stuck with a broken combo.

So then, where is the "tactics" that I've been hearing about? It seems like the entire goal is to "get a big number" and "hope they don't catch up, bro! lol!"

Sure, you can damage their number, but with no means of getting out of a bad situation (if you lose the first round) it seems pretty demoralizing trying to play catch up if they still have strong cards in hand and your mulligan situation is "well these cards do damage despite being 6STR so they could possibly be useful as a tactical instead of these 10STR cards that have no abilities on them..." and limited to 3.

Top Bottom