• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final build of Sonic Xtreme found, leaking as we speak

his_chilidog_made_it_all_the_way_to_hydrocity_by_nimadoodlez-d4kycwp.gif

No, this would be the 12 layers of parallax version of Sonic 1 debuted at CES when the game was actually unveiled. This version:

DdV9D6B.jpg

There is evidence Sega still has various Sonic 1 prototypes, though. A mobile phone port in 2003 appears to be built off of a build from a few months before release, as it still includes the rolling ball object that has been deleted in the final build, and it has the sprites for the marble zone UFOs in the marble zone tiles.

That's not the early build we're discussing, though. The build in question was only 1 level, a very early proto greenhill zone. As I said, it featured 12 layers of parallax, both in front and behind Sonic.
My life long sonic fan dream is to see an early sonic 1 beta in action, either full on video or a rom leak, I still tingle thinking about such things.

Ferr986

Holy shit! Cant wait to see more

No, this would be the 12 layers of parallax version of Sonic 1 debuted at CES when the game was actually unveiled. This version:

DdV9D6B.jpg

There is evidence Sega still has various Sonic 1 prototypes, though. A mobile phone port in 2003 appears to be built off of a build from a few months before release, as it still includes the rolling ball object that has been deleted in the final build, and it has the sprites for the marble zone UFOs in the marble zone tiles.

That's not the early build we're discussing, though. The build in question was only 1 level, a very early proto greenhill zone. As I said, it featured 12 layers of parallax, both in front and behind Sonic.

Didnt know this about Generations. I though that the 12 layers version wasnt really playable and just a tech demo of sorts.

Krejlooc

Banned
vFm2pmZ.jpg

My NV1 Windows 95 build. It's by pure happy coincidence that I have this machine, too. I built it about a year ago specifically to collect Sega PC games.

That is where Sonic Xtreme will finally come back to life.

Krejlooc

Banned
Didnt know this about Generations. I though that the 12 layers version wasnt really playable and just a tech demo of sorts.

it likely wasn't playable. We're not even sure if it was an autoscrolling demo or if it polled the controller. It was basically an extremely early engine test. It's notable for being the very first time Sonic the Hedgehog was ever seen by the public.

Platy

vFm2pmZ.jpg

My NV1 Windows 95 build. It's by pure happy coincidence that I have this machine, too. I built it about a year ago specifically to collect Sega PC games.

Any chance of adapting (compiling ?) the files to a build playable on a saturn ?

Krejlooc

Banned
Any chance of adapting (compiling ?) the files to a build playable on a saturn ?

Who knows at this point. I don't even have the source in hand, I might never have it in hand actually.

The hardware between the NV1 and Saturn are very similar, though.

Axass

Holy shit OP I can feel your tension and excitement through your words, it's great lots of you are finally reaching some sort of closure on this.

I'll never understand why Yuji Naka didn't want to let them use the NiGHTS engine for this.

All I ever heard about Naka is that he's kind of a dick to work with.

celsowmbr

Banned
vFm2pmZ.jpg

Please contact Andrew75 at Sonic Retro Forum !!!

Can you get Virtua Fighter 3 and Shenmue Saturn afterwards?

I don't care if you can only locate their PC variants. :p
Wasn't it at like, 30% when it was cancelled?
But Sega 30% is pretty much Square-Enix 70%.

Joking aside, there are lots of ways to estimate progress. Some devs reckon the complete game before beta testing phase is only 50% for instance.

70% for this one is discussable, levels were admittedly thrown together for appearance sake, but engine is probably 70% implemented alright. Further changes would be optimisation and bug fixes.

_Ryo_

this is really awesome. Always wanted to know more about Sonic X-Treme. Also, this gives me hope that one day someone might find the source for Saturn Shenmue.

SerTapTap

vFm2pmZ.jpg

I'm so jealous of that hideous 90s monstrocity

We'd have to sneak into SEGA of Japan and maybe, just maybe locate the magnetic tape storing those files or something. That's either in corporate hands or the landfill.
Issue is we can't trust Sega with that kind of archiving capability.

They are the dudes who lost the source code for Sonic 1 (before finding it again) and seemingly forever lost Panzer Dragoon Saga source. Surely more.

I don't get why they're so reluctant to talk about stuff like that, dispel and further show stuff, it's pretty much free press.

For Sonic Xtreme it's understandable, it wasn't in-house and it went horribly wrong for the most part, the only thing they could have changed would be not canceling it all these years ago because it really wasn't ready, it was starting to come together.

Also, if anyone can get the source code for that "NiGHTS Engine boss scene" on the OP, you'd have a boss battle engine and the original plan back on track, just to spite Yuji Naka I guess.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm so jealous of that hideous 90s monstrocity

The actual NV1 games themselves look great. It's basically a supercharged Sega Saturn. I don't have Panzer Dragoon or VFRemix (although I've got a friend with these discs who is willing to rip them for me) but the PC port of Battle Arena Toshinden looks way higher resolution than either the Saturn or PSX ports. It looks like the Saturn version, running with a better framerate, at a higher resolution.

I have 3 of the 5 NV1 games released: Battle Arena Toshinden, Descent (NV1 edition), and that crappy NASCAR game. The ones I want are obviously the Sega ones.

Funny enough, even though the card was basically useless for anything with accelerated 3D outside of those 5 games, it released at a very special time when 2D graphics APIs weren't common. As such, the Sega PC port of Sonic CD originally used a rare API called DINO, not direct X. Getting the DINO version to work on real hardware is incredibly difficult as it's picky about what hardware it runs on. Most video cards can't run it because the DINO API only works with select cards.

Eventually, sega re-released the port using direct X, which is what the Sonic Gems port is based off of, but in the process several effects were broken, like the water is no longer tinted in the direct X port because it used weird DINO-specific calls.

The Sega PC NV1 card was released at juuuuuuust the right time to support DINO, making it fully compatible with that old, rare release of Sonic CD, which I have in big box form.

Accoun

Wow, I don't even care for Sonic that much myself and I'm excited. I just love stories like that and looking at earlier builds of games.

The actual NV1 games themselves look great. It's basically a supercharged Sega Saturn. I don't have Panzer Dragoon or VFRemix (although I've got a friend with these discs who is willing to rip them for me) but the PC port of Battle Arena Toshinden looks way higher resolution than either the Saturn or PSX ports. It looks like the Saturn version, running with a better framerate, at a higher resolution.

I have 3 of the 5 NV1 games released: Battle Arena Toshinden, Descent (NV1 edition), and that crappy NASCAR game. The ones I want are obviously the Sega ones.

Funny enough, even though the card was basically useless for anything with accelerated 3D outside of those 5 games, it released at a very special time when 2D graphics APIs weren't common. As such, the Sega PC port of Sonic CD originally used a rare API called DINO, not direct X. Getting the DINO version to work on real hardware is incredibly difficult as it's picky about what hardware it runs on. Most video cards can't run it because the DINO API only works with select cards.

Eventually, sega re-released the port using direct X, which is what the Sonic Gems port is based off of, but in the process several effects were broken, like the water is no longer tinted in the direct X port because it used weird DINO-specific calls.

The Sega PC NV1 card was released at juuuuuuust the right time to support DINO, making it fully compatible with that old, rare release of Sonic CD, which I have in big box form.
Likely a wrapper can be made for it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Also, if anyone can get the source code for that "NiGHTS Engine boss scene" on the OP, you'd have a boss battle engine and the original plan back on track, just to spite Yuji Naka I guess.

Well there are bits of the original game that were never properly worked on that we couldn't get back. For example, Knuckles and a new character, Tiara Bobowski, were playable characters in the game. A knuckles sprite from the days when this was planned to be for the 32X, done in CGI from every angle like Sonic, has been unearthed. And a pitch video of Tiara Bobowski's gameplay has also been found, but her game was never actually started:

gl0gaLy.gif

Tiara Bobowski would have played like a classic 2D Sonic game.

Likely a wrapper can be made for it.

There aren't equivalent calls to wrap, hence why such a wrapped has never existed.

NeOak

Can you get Virtua Fighter 3 and Shenmue Saturn afterwards?

I don't care if you can only locate their PC variants. :pBut Sega 30% is pretty much Square-Enix 70%.

Joking aside, there are lots of ways to estimate progress. Some devs reckon the complete game before beta testing phase is only 50% for instance.

70% for this one is discussable, levels were admittedly thrown together for appearance sake, but engine is probably 70% implemented alright. Further changes would be optimisation and bug fixes.

I was refering to Mother 3 in its original Nintendo 64 version. -.-

Please read the quote i'm quoting :/

Exciting stuff. The only thing that can compare with this for me is if someone unearthed the Saturn Virtua Fighter 3 (either of the 2 versions..)!!

Krejlooc

Banned
Has anyone ever found The final build to this scrapped SONIC SAT AM game?

It was a stealth action platformer with Sonic, Sally and others and new powers like ringtossing, buzzsawing through spikes and jumping up and shooting spikes in all directions.

There was never a build of that in the first place. That's not a game. It's a pitch animation. It was never picked up, development never started. What you see is all that ever existed, it wasn't a game nor was it ever playable.

So now I'm in a negotiating phase of all of this. The guy with the source says he needs an NV1 to prep this for release, which makes sense. He wants to buy my NV1 but, as a collector, I don't want to sell.

So the arrangement I'm trying to make with the guy is to loan him my NV1 for as long as he needs, for the good of this project, on the condition that I see some proof of the existence of this before sending it out. So this might take a while.

daveo42

Banned
Subbed. This was one of the games that really made me want to get a Saturn when I was younger. I specifically remember seeing some of them screens ages ago and got me super excited.

Well there are bits of the original game that were never properly worked on that we couldn't get back. For example, Knuckles and a new character, Tiara Bobowski, were playable characters in the game. A knuckles sprite from the days when this was planned to be for the 32X, done in CGI from every angle like Sonic, has been unearthed. And a pitch video of Tiara Bobowski's gameplay has also been found, but her game was never actually started:

gl0gaLy.gif

Well, exciting times ahead then. If the engine allows for it one could try to achieve both, that seems like a good recurring gameplay "section" to have. I do think Tiara Bobowski should be dropped though, it's "sony and shitty friends" before shitty friends began.

But as is, without fixing the PC implementation even with the dev tools and knowledgeable people to actually take a shot it'll pretty much impossible to finish.

There aren't equivalent calls to wrap, hence why such a wrapped has never existed.
I assumed one could wrap one call into multiple ones.
I was refering to Mother 3 in its original Nintendo 64 version. -.-

Please read the quote i'm quoting :/
Ah, sorry.

There was never a build of that in the first place. That's not a game. It's a pitch animation. It was never picked up, development never started. What you see is all that ever existed, it wasn't a game nor was it ever playable.

So now I'm in a negotiating phase of all of this. The guy with the source says he needs an NV1 to prep this for release, which makes sense. He wants to buy my NV1 but, as a collector, I don't want to sell.

So the arrangement I'm trying to make with the guy is to loan him my NV1 for as long as he needs, for the good of this project, on the condition that I see some proof of the existence of this before sending it out. So this might take a while.

BibleThump.jpg

"Senn had long conceded that all the "levels" shown were thrown together in 10 minutes for the purpose of getting some screenshots out to magazines"

I see nothing about games journalism has changed over the years.

SegaShack

read my name backwards

Oh! So you're the guy on retro! I'm nesboy43 on there. I feel silly, I quoted you the other day in the unreleased games thread on Gaf telling you about the modern happenings with the Sonic Xtreme files, lol.

Anyways, like you I also consider this the holy grail of unreleased games. Especially since the classic Sonic games are my favorite video games ever made.

You seem confident in saying that everything will leak soon, but are you certain that you will be able to run this without error?

I have that Sonic CD that needs DINO libraries and always give me an error about missing them. Is it really a rare release?

Teknoman

I'm still shocked that Naka was so overprotective of the Nights engine. Big deal, they were all Sega employees, how can you get pissed that another team is using an engine that your game used?

gl0gaLy.gif

Is....

Is that 2-plane 2D gameplay?

Like, the sort of stuff that's in Donkey Kong Country Returns?

Haw-lee shieeeeeet!

6579742.gif

I'm still shocked that Naka was so overprotective of the Nights engine. Big deal, they were all Sega employees, how can you get pissed that another team is using an engine that your game used?

I believe he was mad because it was taken without his permission

Top Bottom