• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBig Contra is OUT NOW!! Let's Attack Aggressively, GAF

contra-lbp.jpg

iyzz2q.jpg

24xjltz.jpg

2kpxso.jpg

Fire up the Konami Code and get ready to Attack Aggressively -- LittleBig Contra is live! WATCH THE TRAILER NOW!!! (Thank you Teknoman!! and thanks to Scrawlfx.com and 1up.com for making the cool logos!)

We've also been featured in numerous gaming sites!

One Last Continue
(Thanks Phil Caron!)

N4g

Kotaku

PS3 Fanboys

LittleBig Contra is a collaborative project aimed at delivering the definitive Contra experience to LittleBigPlanet. Our goal is to recreate each of the 8 stages of Contra from the NES using the tools available to us in the LittleBigPlanet level editor.

STAGES & TEAM

There are 8 stages in total and 7 authors on the LBC team (click for level layouts - thanks SaitoH):

Jungle: MisterAnderson - PSN: Leonidas2123
Base 1: Orz- PSN: SaitoHalifax
Waterfall: PSN - RyanardoDavinci
Base 2: Orz- PSN: SaitoHalifax
Snowfield: PSN: NinjaMicWZ
Energy Zone: El_Beefo - PSN: El_Beefo
Hangar: Jaeyden - PSN: Jaeyden
Alien's Lair: Donkey Show - PSN: gevurah22

PICS OF WIP
(Post pics and I'll put them up here)

Stage 1: Jungle
(MisterAnderson)

2v2veh4.jpg

16auxax.jpg

2ytwahu.jpg

2z57q50.jpg

2aes5tg.jpg

261ow3k.jpg

qo6a7n.jpg

6ypjf6.jpg

atu7ww.jpg

f5c1l0.jpg

Stage 2: Base 1 (Orz)

Logo.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

transition.jpg

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

Stage 3: Waterfall (RyanardoDavinci)

2h4vqio.jpg

aa9e9f.jpg

2n6rr5c.jpg

rqvplt.jpg

6qd5s1.jpg

2ibkwn5.jpg

Stage 6: Snowfield (NinjaMicWZ)

2cyhf7a.jpg

For some reason the in-game pic kept distorting the hell out of the spike dozer miniboss. This doesn't do it justice since you can't see the wheels/treads and the rest of the gun mount. For some reason the picture kept glitching and making them transparent.

nybmm1.jpg

n1cpdj.jpg

25hfpqv.jpg

Stage 6: Energy Zone (El_Beefo)

20fxent.jpg

2cwvgw6.jpg

dwdutz.jpg

24zg9yt.jpg

2dj6hk2.jpg

aw3i9h.jpg

Stage 7: Hangar (Jaeyden)

DSC01457.JPG.w560h420.jpg

DSC01458.JPG.w560h420.jpg

DSC01459.JPG.w560h420.jpg

DSC01460.JPG.w560h420.jpg

DSC01462.JPG.w560h420.jpg

DSC01461.JPG.w560h420.jpg

Stage 8: Alien's Lair (Donkey Show)

lbpfleshy1.jpg

lbpalien6.jpg

lbpalien7.jpg

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think this is a great idea. I personally suck ass @ level making but I'll back you guys up %110. A fully created contra (LBP style) would be fucking ace! :D

Beardz

What about you make all maps, I mean the layout, other makes the enemies, other the bosses, etc. That way everything will be more cohesive; this can be something really cool.

Beardz said:
What about you make all maps, I mean the layout, other makes the enemies, other the bosses, etc. That way everything will be more cohesive; this can be something really cool.

This isn't a bad idea. I'll think about it and see if others think this is a better idea.

SaitoH

I love the idea and was actually considering doing something similiar. I'm currently finishing work on my second paintinator level and not sure if another level in me right now. I'll have to think on this for a bit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bearillusion said:
This is a great idea. I played your level and think you did a good job but I wouldn't mind some improvements.

My level? I don't have any published yet. Or are you talking to Donkey Show? I never played his but after seeing some of that Azure Palace video, holy shit I need to do that right after I'm done with editing the OP. I'm glad he's on board that's for sure.

Beardz said:
Roles:

Project leader
Map layout
Enemies
Bosses
Art
Sound
Logic

This can be fun

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Should we opt for having roles instead of each of us working on an entire level or do you guys like the original idea better? I will say that I think having an enemy creator would benefit greatly, as it would be kind of silly to see different versions of the same enemies running through different levels. Let me know what you think.

Edit: We also need to decide on a system for the "wall eagle powerups" for lack of a better term. Right now how I have them handled is I carve a square into the rockface, put a prize bubble inside, cover it up with a thin layer of dissolve, sticker on a custom sticker I made using wings and an eagle sticker against metal (looks passable but not amazing). Then I put a button switch somewhere nearby that dissolves the wall revealing the prize bubble. If anyone has any better ideas please share them as I was never fully happy with this way and was just kind of putting them in for the hell of it.

MisterAnderson said:
My level? I don't have any published yet. Or are you talking to Donkey Show? I never played his but after seeing some of that Azure Palace video, holy shit I need to do that right after I'm done with editing the OP. I'm glad he's on board that's for sure.

LOL, no problem. I haven't messed with LBP since before X-Mas since I felt like burned myself out, but I'm down for something like this. Making paintinator stuff is fun. :D

What are you guys' thoughts on this? Should we opt for having roles instead of each of us working on an entire level or do you guys like the original idea better?
Ummm... it depends on what other people think. I mean, in terms of aesthetics, are we going to go for the 8-bit look or just a full on reinterpretation while obviously staying true to the layout?

Don't worry about making it look "8-bit." Try to strike a balance I'd say though, don't go so balls out that it doesn't feel familiar to the level it's inspired by, but feel free to make it look "good."

Hangar would probably be the hardest level to make. You have to take in account how floaty the jumping is on LBP. Contra had a very solid defined jumping mechanic. If you can make levels online together, i'll do it.

PSN - DoubIeSpy (Capital i not and l)

Xenon

I would say maybe having someone make common asset/enemies would be a good idea. But you may run into scheduling problems if you try to make a big team. Having people work on one level would be easier for most people since they wouldn't have to wait for other team members or keep others waiting when they dont have the time.

I would also say that base 1 and 2 should be done by the same person since they are the only two that are almost the same in the game. I'll do them if no one else wants to. Since, they would fit pretty well with my style, sparse and difficult.

(see my Shooting Gallery Race level)

edit: I think getting a common scale for the levels would be very important

Beardz

I think if everybody does his part, everything will look "better" or at least more cohesive; I know it takes a lot more teamwork and it can good or bad, but this way more people can collaborate, like "I'm going to make some palmtrees, I made this boss check it out" It can be faster too.

Beardz said:
I think if everybody does his part, everything will look "better" or at least more cohesive; I know it takes a lot more teamwork and it can good or bad, but this way more people can collaborate, like "I'm going to make some palmtrees, I made this boss check it out" It can be faster too.

It's up to what everyone else thinks, I already have my level about 60-70% complete in terms of the actual map and it's functions (bridges blowing up and such). But along the way I have also been doing sound and other details here and there to keep things from getting too boring.

It has no enemies or bosses yet, and I do agree that there should be similar enemies/assets shared throughout the levels. I also agree that ideally the same person would do base 1 and 2.

Edit:

Bloodworth said:
I think he's referring to the Contra level that was a published a few weeks ago.

Before starting my level I searched "Contra" online LBP and only crappy stuff came up that didn't seem like Contra at all. Maybe I just missed that one, hopefully it doesn't put mine to shame lol. I won't play it until I'm finished with mine though I think, so it doesn't cloud my ideas and style.

One other thing I forgot to mention. How exactly does making music in LBP work? Would anyone be up to making tracks for the levels? That would be pretty amazing.

This would be AWESOME. I don't have much time to try and create (one of the reasons I'm still dicking around on my first level), but if you all get this going on, I'll be hearting and playing that shit they day it's loaded. :D

Xenon said:
I think getting a common scale for the levels would be very important

Yes I agree this is very important, if anyone can throw in any ideas on how to keep the scale consistent please do. What I did in creating the Jungle level is, if you look at the level layout, there are "knotches" separating the grass sprites. I used that as a unit of measurement for the rest of the level, and when setting the LBP grid to "big" I set two square units next to each other to equal 1 of the grass units in Contra. I'm not really seeing anything as obvious as that in the other layouts so it might be an issue making sure everything is consistent.

Synless

I have this exact level named exactly the same thing and have been working on it for a few weeks. I knew I should have posted it here first..... :(

Synless

MisterAnderson said:
The Jungle?
No, the first level of contra, I hadn't watched the videos yet because I'm in class. Basically I just recreated the first level, I've been trying to make decent enemies for weeks, but they suck so all I have is the level layout and the end wall boss thing.

Edit: I read your question wrong, yes the jungle

test_account

XP-39C²
This is a great idea i must say! :) I am looking forward to check out the levels! :) I wish i could help out by making one or several of these levels, but unfortunately i am not that good to create stuff like this in Little Big Planet :(

Jaeyden

I would like to take a look at any of the work that's been done so far..to get an idea of what your doing size wise. We could publish these WIP's locked and just get to keys to the rest of the group so we can see what everyone else is doing.

Jaeyden said:
I would like to take a look at any of the work that's been done so far..to get an idea of what your doing size wise. We could publish these WIP's locked and just get to keys to the rest of the group so we can see what everyone else is doing.

I could publish mine and you could take a look at it. I've never published anything before, once its published can I take it down? If it's locked can no one look at it other than people I invite? How does it work exactly?

Edit: Can't I just invite you to my pod and I can go to "my moon" and "play" and it will take you with me?

Beardz

MisterAnderson said:
I could publish mine and you could take a look at it. I've never published anything before, once its published can I take it down? If it's locked can no one look at it other than people I invite? How does it work exactly?

Edit: Can't I just invite you to my pod and I can go to "my moon" and "play" and it will take you with me?

Yeah, you can invite them to your moon, and play your level without publishing

Ranger X

I cannot help you guys but I fully suppor this move.

As long as you pimp the level from time to time in the Official User Levels thread!" :p

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
I cannot help you guys but I fully suppor this move.

As long as you pimp the level from time to time in the Official User Levels thread!" :p

This. Also I was going to combine bits of the jungle and waterfall stages for the first half of one of my levels. Will be nice to see this come together though.

Would you guys be open to using some Super C designs as well?

2nsaps2.jpg

Cant wait to see how Donkey Show creates the alien skin for the lair.

Epcott

I also support this.

Initially, I had planned to do this after dl'ing the MGS addon when it first dropped. But then I thought, it would be nicer to make a tribute to Contra AND Gunstar Heroes, so that's what I plan to do...

as soon as I find a job first, so I don't feel like a bum doing nothing but playing games all day
:lol

MisterAnderson said:
Before starting my level I searched "Contra" online LBP and only crappy stuff came up that didn't seem like Contra at all. Maybe I just missed that one, hopefully it doesn't put mine to shame lol. I won't play it until I'm finished with mine though I think, so it doesn't cloud my ideas and style.

I'll make sure it's still there. Hopefully they aren't pulling Contra stuff down.

Orz

I'm actually Saitoh's roommate. I've been working for the past few days on an experiment to attempt a first-person style of gameplay in LBP. The structure is about half-finished, and it seems plausible that it will work. I hadn't precisely intended it as a Contra level, but it would seem to be workable to present a facsimile of Base 1 and Base 2. Here is the rundown of what I've managed to accomplish thus far:
  • Control system for the representation of the game character. Sackboy will not be visible. This makes it strictly a 1-player level. 2 Players is completely impossible.
  • A facsimile of forward movement triggered by moving 'up'.
  • Disabling the ability to move forward at certain junctions. (i.e. a forcefield)
  • A mechanism for firing at a variety of on-screen enemies in the 'distance', and the ability for them to require multiple hits to destroy. The paintinator is not used in this design.
  • A mechanism for enemies to fire at and 'injure' the player.
  • A theoretical mechanism for the spawning of enemies and structures. (untested) This would also serve as a 'timeline' for the level, allowing it to proceed from beginning to the boss.

These are the challenges and variations from Contra:

• Jumping will not be possible. Nor will crouching. Evasion of enemy projectiles will be via strafing alone.
  • The side walls will appear to create the illusion of forward movement, but it will not be very reminiscent of Contra. The ceiling and floor will be static flat colours.
  • This will have to be a separate level from the side-scrolling portions of the game.
  • The player could be 'injured' four times before dying, but the limitations on animating the player representation would make it not possible to 'die' from each hit.
  • Enemy models would not display any animation, just movement.
  • I am not sure if I can replicate the destroyed outline of the barrier walls moving towards the player after they have been defeated.
  • The end bosses may have to function differently. The homing shots will not be possible.
  • There will only be a single-shot weapon, no power-ups.

As I said, I didn't initially plan this as a Contra level, but it shouldn't be too hard to rework. The basic level infrastructure is about a quarter to a third complete, after which it shouldn't be too time-consuming to add the assets. I can't work on the level on Wednesdays or Thursdays, and I'm using Saitoh's PS3, so I can only use it when he isn't. I'll post some images when it's a little farther along, and possibly a video if I can get something representative operational. Hopefully by the end of the weekend.

That sounds very interesting, I am definitely intrigued to hear more about how this works as I'm still a slight bit confused. I am a little hesitant to want to include it due to not being able to jump, but hell it sounds really unique and something like this might be really cool and sounds right up Base 1 and 2's alley.

Edit: Also the not being 2 player is a little discouraging, but keep us updated on it. Is it playable in some form? I would love to try out what you have so far so I can better understand it.

Edit2:

Bloodworth said:
I'll make sure it's still there. Hopefully they aren't pulling Contra stuff down.

I managed to find it, and played it. I think mine is better :) (aside from there being no enemies yet, lol). But yeah, it was enjoyable to see someone else's interpretation of the level and to get some ideas of what to do (and some what not to do's).

Orz

MisterAnderson said:
That sounds very interesting, I am definitely intrigued to hear more about how this works as I'm still a slight bit confused. I am a little hesitant to want to include it due to not being able to jump, but hell it sounds really unique and something like this might be really cool and sounds right up Base 1 and 2's alley.

Edit: Also the not being 2 player is a little discouraging, but keep us updated on it. Is it playable in some form? I would love to try out what you have so far so I can better understand it.

Jumping isn't possible due to a lack of buttons in LBP's control interface. I could jury-rig something perhaps, but I am going to attempt to get it functional first. 2-player isn't possible due to the inability for two players to spawn out of separate entrances initially, and a lack of planes to allow them to move independently without colliding.

It's not currently playable. I hope to have it working by the weekend at some point.

This is a fucking fantastic idea and I'm in. I havnt published any levels but Ive worked with the creator for loads of hours and will be dedicated to this project. Something perfect to start out with! Ill do Snow Field. Ill do everything in it, besides the music haha.

Glad to have you on board :). Feel free do do everything in it you want, but I think we should all use the best iteration of "common" enemies/assets in every level that we (or whoever else that might decide to help out) come up with to stay consistent.

Xenon

Orz's idea seems perfect since it would be so different from the rest of the game, just like B1&2 in the org contra

EL Beefo

I've toyed around with doing a metal slug level, but the problem I was facing is one that would also be a problem with a contra level. In the actual game, you can shoot through the ground, to get enemies above and below you, and on different planes. In LBP this isn't possible. So to shoot someone on a different plane, or someone on the same plane but above or below, you would need to get to that plane. If someone has a solution to this that would be great, I had a way to let you shoot through platforms above you, but it had a number of problems.

EL Beefo said:
I've toyed around with doing a metal slug level, but the problem I was facing is one that would also be a problem with a contra level. In the actual game, you can shoot through the ground, to get enemies above and below you, and on different planes. In LBP this isn't possible. So to shoot someone on a different plane, or someone on the same plane but above or below, you would need to get to that plane. If someone has a solution to this that would be great, I had a way to let you shoot through platforms above you, but it had a number of problems.

Well the trick here is just trying to balance out platform placement to properly line the player up with the desired target/threat. That is all I can think of, and yes it's definitely going to be different from playing Contra exactly, but there's only so much that can be done. But yeah I'm all ears for some kind of solution to this if there are any.

Ranger X

Why exploding you heads into those complex part of Contra?

MAKE AN AWESOME SIDE SCROLLING CONTRA. Not necessarily a total reproduction of NES Contra.

I just finally tried Azure Palace. A pretty damn ingenius level. It looks SO good. I don't even know how some of the epic shit in that was done, but I will say that after retrying about 5 times and FINALLY getting the key to the end...I went to pick up the blade and it electrocuted me...I wasn't too happy to say the least. lol

Edit: How baddass would it be if we could connect all 8 levels in 1 level? Seemlessly going from the Jungle to jumping inside Base 1, to taking the elevator from Base 1 to Waterfall, etc. Fuck that would be the greatest thing ever. It's a shame that the thermometer would definitely not allow that. It might be able to contain a few though, maybe we can have 2 or 3 levels together at a time? I guess that wouldn't work as far as getting hearts/proper credit for the map, though, unless we also released them separately.

Top Bottom