• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Playstation Vita; HDMI port, 4G, memory card price cut

brogan

Neo Member
Sony needs to accept that the portable gaming landscape has changed since the PSP was released. Smartphones and iPhones are where the majority of people are going game on the go. The Vita is only attractive to a a niche market, most people couldn't give a damn about it and probably have never even heard of it.

This is neoGAF so obviously everyone here has! Releasing another Vita is a huge mistake IMO.

rockx4

i've always had a feeling the vita would be / could be used as the PS4 controller

Vita would be a horrible PS4 or PS3 controller. First of all it's missing buttons... and has no clicky sticks. The front and rear touch blows for remapping R2 and L2.

8bit

Knows the Score
This doesn't seem to be a new thing.

http://patents.com/us-20130033829.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foreign Application Data

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Code Application Number
Aug 4, 2011 JP 2011-171287

Claims

1. An electronic apparatus comprising: a circuit board; a housing which houses the circuit board; an electronic component housed in the housing and exposable in a direction along the circuit board from an opening formed in the housing; a cable arranged in the housing and extending in a direction along the circuit board from the electronic component; and a holder arranged along one surface of the circuit board, the holder including a component holder portion which holds the electronic component in a position offset from a position on the one surface of the circuit board in a thickness direction of the circuit board, the holder further including a cable holder portion which holds the cable.

2. The electronic apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the electronic component is positioned traversing a plane defined by the circuit board in the thickness direction of the circuit board.

3. The electronic apparatus according to claim 2, wherein a cutout is formed at an edge of the circuit board, and the electronic component is located inside the cutout.

4. The electronic apparatus according to claim 2, further comprising: a first circuit board; and a second circuit board arranged facing the first circuit board and functioning as the circuit board, wherein the cable holder portion has thickness smaller than entire thickness of the electronic component and the component holder portion and is arranged between the first circuit board and the second circuit board.

5. The electronic apparatus according to claim 2, wherein the component holder portion includes a portion located on an outer side of an outer edge of the circuit board and fixed to the housing.

6. The electronic apparatus according to claim 1, wherein the cable holder portion is arranged covering an electronic component mounted on the circuit board and is attached to the circuit board.

CROSS-REFERENCE TO RELATED APPLICATION

[0001] The present application claims priority from Japanese application JP2011-171287 filed on Aug. 4, 2011, the content of which is hereby incorporated by reference into this application.

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

[0002] 1. Field of the Invention

[0003] The present invention relates to a structure for supporting an electronic component provided to be exposable on the outer surface of an electronic apparatus.

[0004] 2. Description of the Related Art

[0005] United States Patent Application Publication No. 2007/0202956 discloses an electronic apparatus including a display screen on the front surface thereof. In the electronic apparatus, connectors for connecting the electronic apparatus to peripheral apparatuses are provided on the bottom surface and the side surfaces of a housing of the electronic apparatus. In some electronic apparatus of this type, connectors into which portable storage media can be inserted are provided on the bottom surface and the side surfaces of a housing of the electronic apparatus. The connectors are mounted on a circuit board and are exposable from the housing in a direction parallel to the circuit board.

output_lmn7mtaqunw.gif

Business

HDMI out + Dualshocks = WiiU doomed
not really

No seriously if this thing has HDMI out I may actually get a Vita.

Mael

Sony needs to accept that the portable gaming landscape has changed since the PSP was released. Smartphones and iPhones are where the majority of people are going game on the go. The Vita is only attractive to a a niche market, most people couldn't give a damn about it and probably have never even heard of it.

This is neoGAF so obviously everyone here has! Releasing another Vita is a huge mistake IMO.

On top of that I imagine that the market made of people who are on a fence for Vita that only needed a price cut on the memory cards and an HDMI port to make their purchase are incredibly small.
Like the market waiting for the incredible 3DS with TV out.

Strange thing is though that "new" design is remarkably similar to the Vita devkits. I do wonder what the USB port is for though. Seems kinda redundant.

pWOY3.jpg

(taken from Wololo)

The USB port was for sending data to the dev kit from your PC.

Compile on PC
Run game on Vita via USB

HDMI was taken out of the retail machine because there was potential over heating issues when mirroring the display for long periods of time. They've obviously fixed that problem now which is good.

DaBoss

Wtf, why make 4G models when the 3G models don't even sell well. This is a rumor so I find the 4G part too stupid to be true.

sTeLioSco

Banned
I really doubt this is true. Sony are losing money enmasse, they're share prices are awful, and even in Japan, the general consensus among the public is that Sony have lost their way and are now junk. The Vita already isn't selling, and its not because of the hardware, its a lack of software. Even when the Vita does sell, it sells at a loss, the Ps4 will likely also sell at a loss. They can't afford both as it is, nevermind another Vita also selling at a loss. If they're going to upgrade the Vita, they should replace the current one.

so obviously trolling

BadWolf

If they are willing to make a new model then at least we know that Sony is not about to abandon the thing any time soon.

An upgraded model for the same price is nice but its still not a price drop. The Vita already wasn't overpriced for the tech it was, its just that the price itself seems to have been a problem, and this doesn't fix it.

If this is the only version that has TV-out, imma be an angry man.

And then I'll probably drop money on it like a stooge, I am part of the problem

Derrick01

Banned
So instead of cutting the price they give another contract version that no one wanted and no one bought last time and still keep the wi fi version at $250? That certainly does sound like a Sony move.

Ponn

Banned
If they are willing to make a new model then at least we know that Sony is not about to abandon the thing any time soon.

An upgraded model for the same price is nice but its still not a price drop. The Vita already wasn't overpriced for the tech it was, its just that the price itself seems to have been a problem, and this doesn't fix it.

Im not worried about Sony abandoning it. Its more like i wish someone more competent was handling it. Some select divisions at Sony can make great decisons, while others are horribly out of touch in make believe land. Example, you dont combat abyssmal HW sales with new colors and 4G.

XOMTOR

Right, the patent looks to be old. Some sites are still saying their "sources" are saying there will be a Vita revision. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry to sound like a skeptic but who are these "sources"? I clicked on the link in the OP and all I saw was a vague reference to a site called Gamerxchange? Who?

It's all part of Sonys master plan so they can get the Wii U exclusive game 'Rayman Legends'.

Oh wai......
lol

Vita would be a horrible PS4 or PS3 controller. First of all it's missing buttons... and has no clicky sticks. The front and rear touch blows for remapping R2 and L2.

yeah that's true..
it's just the touchscreen that reminded me of the wii u gamepad, as if sony could use that as a bulletpoint for the ps4. Maybe the vita failed so hard that i cant believe it's meant to be nothing else than a handheld console of its own. until now anyway.

Lucifon

If this is the February 20th announcement I would laugh for days. It would truly be the greatest troll in the history of trolling.

Edited the OP to reflect the rumor since the patent is old. Don't know how reliable GamerXchange is, obviously I've never heard of it, still considered a rumor nonetheless:

With the one year anniversary of the PlayStation Vita fast approaching in North America, sources (who have requested that we keep anonymous) have hinted at the possibility of an upgraded model coming sooner than most may have expected.

Although the credibility of this report comes into question by myself and my colleagues, these are the details nonetheless:

• A new 4G model of the PlayStation Vita will be replacing the 3G model sometime this year. According to the source, this will be the so-called “price drop” that has been rumored for the Vita as the new model will retain the $299 price point for an upgraded system.
  • The Wi-Fi version will still be available on the market for $249
  • To go along with the 4G model, a significant firmware update will go live bringing in a lot of requested features including new ways to organize apps in folders.
  • The new model may be unveiled along with the rumored PS4 this month at PlayStation’s February 20th event or at E3, but will not hit the market until later in the year.
  • A price cut on memory cards will be made. No details on prices.
  • According to the source, no other hardware changes will be made to the Vita and all other specs and features will remain the same. As for the 4G model, the regions where it will be available, in addition to info on any data plan pricing was not available.
As stated before, this is a rumor and credibility comes into question, so take it with a whole pile of salt, if you would like; But it should be interesting if it really pans out. We will reach out to Sony to see if they have any comment on this.

http://gamerxchange.net/2013/02/04/rumor-4g-vita-plus-firmware-update-to-be-revealed-soon/

snap0212

The HDMI output is nice, I guess. I won't be buying it, though. I really dislike when companies leave out completely obvious and often requested features from their first version just to make us buy the revision once that is out. I think Nintendo is pretty good about that.

The first DS Lite was worth getting because it came with a better screen. When I first bought the original DS I didn't think that the screen was that bad, for example. It wasn't the best screen ever and not even that good (in my opinion) but when they released the DS Lite, it was more about showing me how much better they can make stuff instead of simply making it what it should have been from the beginning.

Not sure if that makes a whole lot of sense to people.

Top Bottom